closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart Watches

Steinhart Watches

Are they worth the money and how do they get away with being so close to Rolex without being sued?

Quote Originally Posted by RS24 View Post
    Are they worth the money and how do they get away with being so close to Rolex without being sued?
    I've owned a couple. They have never lasted longer than a week before being sold on. They are unfortunately only as good as the prices suggest they are, so not very. Rolex have nothing to worry about!

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I've owned a couple. They have never lasted longer than a week before being sold on. They are unfortunately only as good as the prices suggest they are, so not very. Rolex have nothing to worry about!
    I think you’ll find that the majority of people who reply to his question will disagree. They’re superb value for money and as good if not better than most other boutique brands. And why would Rolex be concerned? They’re not remotely aimed at the same consumer.

I’ve owned half a dozen of them and they’ve all been excellent quality. I wouldn’t buy another homage offering but I’d definitely own an Aviation again and some of their own designs.

I think you asked whether they’re worth the money and they most certainly are.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think you’ll find that the majority of people who reply to his question will disagree. They’re superb value for money and as good if not better than most other boutique brands. And why would Rolex be concerned? They’re not remotely aimed at the same consumer.

I’ve owned half a dozen of them and they’ve all been excellent quality. I wouldn’t buy another homage offering but I’d definitely own an Aviation again and some of their own designs.

I think you asked whether they’re worth the money and they most certainly are.
    It's all about opinions here and I certainly have nothing against boutique brands. I have a few from Magrette and Christopher Ward (if that counts as boutique) and find that the quality of these, for what are similar prices to be superior to the Steinhart pieces I owned. My most recent Steinhart was the Ocean 1 Bronze and that was just awful especially compared to the recent CWard bronze.

It's all about opinions here and I certainly have nothing against boutique brands. I have a few from Magrette and Christopher Ward (if that counts as boutique) and find that the quality of these, for what are similar prices to be superior to the Steinhart pieces I owned. My most recent Steinhart was the Ocean 1 Bronze and that was just awful especially compared to the recent CWard bronze.
    That’s interesting as I’ve never owned a CW of any description but assumed they’d be inferior to Steinhart.

I think that they are good value for the outlay. I also like some of the designs.
    If you want a Rolex you pay Rolex prices
    If you want something cheaper you have many choices.
    For me a Steinhart is a mid range value for money option
    But I am no expert in the finer points of horology

Not seen either (not a fan of Bronze for watches, personally), but 450 euros vs 800 GBP seems a rather different price point...

I had a Steinhart Ocean Black - It was pretty decent, not noticeably worse in any way to the CW Tridents I've had (although, neither was the latest version, to be fair), but I couldn't live with it's Rolex-alike looks (I thought in black I could, I was wrong and I have 2 other black watches - Enough, I think).

Their watches are very similar in appearance to Rolexes, but so are many, many, many others, at all sorts of price points, so I don't think there's any danger of them being sued by Rolex.

Obviously this is an appeal to some people, a turn off for others.

I still have a Steinhart, but you'd never confuse it with a Rolex, not even across a busy road!

M.

Master
    I think they're very good watches for the money and I still have a couple of the non ceramic ones that I tend to wear from time to time. It's all relative to what you have to spend though isn't it and if this is your budget then you could do far worse.
    I haven't tried any of their ceramic models though.
    What model are you considering?

I currently own six Steinharts and the reason for that is they are superb quality and I would not hesitate to buy number seven if I see one I fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Not seen either (not a fan of Bronze for watches, personally), but 450 euros vs 800 GBP seems a rather different price point...

M.
    Fair point but you would have to be slightly mad to pay RRP for a Christopher Ward watch. They have discount codes and sales regularly

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I have 6, have sold 4 and loved each one. The ones I sold were only due to size on my svelte wrist. I have many much more expensive watches in my 45 watch collection (I know, psychotic), but, on reflection, I'm not sure any others represent better value.

V robust. Classic styling (thanks to tasteful copying....). Typically accurate. Low servicing costs. V low depreciation.

If you can accept their highly derivative nature, then you'll struggle to buy better IMO.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’ve got an Ocean 44 in DLC, quality is decent, and the sapphire bezel is nicest bezel I’ve seen.

Master
    Well, the reason Rolex don't sue is mainly that it has 'Steinhart' on the dial not Rolex. Also, I think it says something on the Steinhart website to the effect that the copyright on various [Rolex] features has expired. As for value, watches from more famous brands with similar ETA movements cost several times as much. Even CW are asking twice as much (albeit RRP) for something that's apparently identical.

I’ve got a Steinhart ocean 1 GMT and a Rolex sub, so similar style watches to compare. When comparing quality and prices, the Steinhart seems incredible value for money.

Craftsman
    Great value for money I just wish they would use some different styled cases and curve the lugs a little.

Everything in the Ocean one range just feels the same, my wife purchased the green bezel version for Christmas for me but it just felt like every other. If you didn't look down at your wrist you wouldn't know which watch you were wearing because they all feel the same. I wore it for 10 minutes and put it back in it's box, eventually flipped it a couple of weeks ago.

I haven’t handled one so not really qualified to comment, what I would say is what I have seen on forums and review seems very good value. I particularly like the vintage GMT

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great VFM, but on the dive watches I just do not like the case shape.

I own two - an Arabic-dial Marine Chronometer and an Ocean 44. Both are very well made and represent excellent value for money in my opinion, and both keep excellent time.

While the Ocean 44 is without a doubt a tribute to the DSSD it's certainly not a clone and Steinhart could not be accused of building a fake... plus (as has been said earlier) they have Steinhart on the dial. The world is full of excellent homages to the Submariner in particular, and Rolex appear complete sanguine about it (I suspect it boosts their sales - or would do if you could even buy them!).

If you've never tried a Steinhart I think at their price point they're excellent watches. I bought my first one on Sales Corner pre-owned, and I could probably sell it for what I paid for it, so they're a relatively low-risk purchase.

I'm amazed Rusty hasn't contributed to this thread yet - he appears to own pretty much every Steinhart ever made!

Simon

Banned

Steinhart Watches

I own a Rolex and don’t own any steinhart watch however I don’t see anything wrong with buying and owning a steinhart . Yes they basically copy the designs of top end Swiss Watches such as Rolex and produce great value pieces ( yes they are inferior to the Watches that they imitate ) however not everyone has the same budget and they are not fakes or copies so there’s nothing to worry about . Why should someone be criticised for wearing a watch that they love and enjoy and can afford . So what if it looks identical to a watch 25 times it’s price

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    A bit too like Rolex models for my liking but I do quite like the Ocean 1 vintage dual time.
    Probably buy one if it was at the right money.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    A bit too like Rolex models for my liking but I do quite like the Ocean 1 vintage dual time.
    Probably buy one if it was at the right money.

This is in my top 5 watches. A beauty.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    This is in my top 5 watches. A beauty.
    It is, but don't be beating me to it if one comes on SC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    It is, but don't be beating me to it if one comes on SC

Not an issue, bought mine 2 years ago. ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Not an issue, bought mine 2 years ago. ;-)

Good buy, love the dial on these. you know who to contact if it needs a new home :-)

Craftsman
    Does anybody have the pilots watches particularly the b dial models , if so what are they like to wear particularly the 47 mm models. I have a 8 inch wrist so should be able to handle them .does the crown dig into your hand

Master
    Are they worth the money?

In a word, yes. The designs may not be original or perfect in every way but for the most part they are relatively tasteful and often offer a credible (as in not a terrible Chinese ebay fake) slice of vintage style that is beyond many of our budgets. Despite the fact many of them are styled like Rolex you just can't be measuring them against such watches. Take a look at what £350 will buy from most high street jewellers (utter crap with a Hugo Boss or Armani logo on it) and suddenly its very clear that they are worth the money.

Master
    Any time the name Steinhart comes up we always seem to get drawn into a merry-go-round discussion about homage watches and their point, or otherwise.

I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing, to be honest. I have one Steinhart watch - the Ocean 1 Titanium.
    Do I like it? Yes. The gunmetal grey finish is cool and the watch is very lightweight.
    Does it look a bit like a Rolex Sub? Kind of.
    Is that why I bought it? No - I like dive watches, wanted a Ti model and thought this was a bit different
    Would I have paid more for it? No - I think the price was fair and it represents good VFM at the price point.
    Is there anything else in the Steinhart range that I like the look of? No, not currently, but never say never.
    Do I see the point in Rolex owners getting all frothy around the chops about this? No. If Rolex was really concerned about Steinhart (or anyone else, for that matter) stepping on their shizzle, they'd have done something about it. Relax. 8-)

SGR

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    ....but you'd never confuse it with a Rolex, not even across a busy road!
    Someone did confuse mine with a Rolex - in a watch shop of all places

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 6 View Post
    Someone did confuse mine with a Rolex - in a watch shop of all places
    One of these???

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    Does it look a bit like a Rolex Sub? Kind of.
    Is that why I bought it? No - I like dive watches, wanted a Ti model and thought this was a bit different
    Exactly - Some buy Steinharts because they look a lot like Rolex Subs, but then so do lots of divers watches and you don't see the same indignation about them.

Omega, Longines, TAG, Oris, etc, etc, etc all make watches that look, to one degree or another much like a Rolex Sub.

Sure Steinharts look MORE like a Sub than most of those, but if you want a fake, you'll buy a fake, not a Steinhart...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 31st January 2018 at 12:46.

Journeyman
    I also own an orange/blue Ocean 2 and I am very happy with it, I must say though, that it's probably the most expensive watch I have.

I had few and liked them all. They are worth the money.

Craftsman

horses for courses

I lust after a Rolex Sub but circumstances at present preclude from me from attaining my goal. However I have a Steinhart Ocean GMT simply because I like that style of watch. I have found it to be good value for money and whilst in the style of a Rolex I do not believe it is trying to be anything other than the sum of its parts.

Master
    Regarding Steinhart and others making watches that look like Rolex subs. Its now just a style of divers watch. Just like a Fender Stat, Tele or Gibson Les Paul are just styles of guitar. No need for people to get their knickers in a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Regarding Steinhart and others making watches that look like Rolex subs. Its now just a style of divers watch. Just like a Fender Stat, Tele or Gibson Les Paul are just styles of guitar. No need for people to get their knickers in a twist.

Mmmm, not sure..... The 'style'-fondness is born out of wanting the look of the originators;

Hendrix, Townsend, Allmän, Page et all........

But, as with watches - there are several tiers of copying, from Ibanez right down to whatever Argos are selling.

So, is the youngster who buys a £120 Strat copy - pretending that he owns a Fender? No, definitely not - he wants to look like a guitar hero. Nothing to do with liking the 'style' of the guitar - it is the association with Hendrix, Knopfler, Blackmore etc.....

(Look like your heroes)

The Submariner-copy buyer - wants it to look like he has distinguished taste, and owns a classic (at least at first glance).

Blog Entries

Steinhart Watches

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Mmmm, not sure..... The 'style'-fondness is born out of wanting the look of the originators;

But, as with watches - there are several tiers of copying, from Ibanez right down to whatever Argos are selling.

So, is the youngster who buys a £120 Strat copy - pretending that he owns a Fender? No, definitely not - he wants to look like a guitar hero. Nothing to do with liking the 'style' of the guitar - it is the association with Hendrix, Knopfler, Blackmore etc.....

(Look like your heroes)

The Submariner-copy buyer - wants it to look like he has distinguished taste, and owns a classic (at least at first glance).

To me Steinhart are doing the same as miiwatches putting out classics that are affordable. Who has the ready money for a 6538 ? Not many .They are going to jump for a Kingston . Who wants an unobtainable RN milsub will jump for OOVM.

Or to another level of homaging there is Tempus Machina who take a brand new submariner strip it down , have it polished , gilted , high domed, lugs are bored down for a thinner profile, given a coin edge bezel all to give that big crown bond era look. Ha so Rolex homaging a Rolex !?!

I think Steinhart got onto the trick that Rolex was missing. Revisiting the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 1st February 2018 at 12:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

(Look like your heroes)

Mmmm, not sure...... I'm not sure that the Ibanez owner is pretending he owns a Fender. What is you evidence to support that? What is your evidence to support the assumption that a Steinhart owner is pretending to own a Rolex? Many celebrities wear Rolex. The fact of the matter is that the design (shape, neck, etc ) of a Strat or Tele or Les Paul are iconic and are just good. They do the job well. The Rolex sub is just a classic dive watch design. Thats all.

Why would a Rolex owner be bothered that the same watch design is made cheaper by others? Only if they have some superiority complex and feel threatened!

how do they get away with being so close to Rolex without being sued?
    They've not copied any Rolex trademarks, or breached any patents held by Rolex S.A.

Journeyman
    What's not to like? ETA movement in a well made case for under €400, and they seem to hold or in some cases increase in value. Mad money being paid for gnomon's 39mm version of the OVM on ebay at present. I can't get mine back off the Mrs.

I had an Aviation Vintage and I can vouch for the quality, the ETA 2824-2 movement was very reliable and the thick suede strap and buckle would be at home on any PAM.

I sold it in the end only because I grew a little tired of the DLC (or PVD, I can't remember) black, which was perfectly robust, but didn't really suit me. I think I sold for pretty close to what I paid too, so the value retention is also good.