closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home insurance recommendations

Master

Home insurance recommendations

My current insurance won't cover a new watch I have just got.
    I have spoken to Hiscox but their quote is £1600. Almost £1000 more than other quotes I have had. I have a budget of around 6 - 800 so I am after a middle ground reliable policy.

Try Lark they were advised to me by Hiscox and were in the end more flexible and cheaper then Hiscox

Costs me around £20 with Aviva to add my SubC to my home and contents insurance with full replacement valuation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    With Aviva and always been impressed with their claims service.

Apprentice

Insurance

John Lewis
    Awe good

M&S Premium have (from memory) a 50k overall valuables limit with a single item limit of 10 or 15k . No itemising required.

Barclays.
    I only had my Seamaster insured for what I paid for it.
    I was unaware it had increased in price by 300% but they paid the replacement value when it was stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Lycetts were good with my policy. Much cheaper than NFU and a few others.

I’m with halifax. £362 for the year and includes my sub and PAM312

I use Marks and Spencer because of their high individual valuables limit without the need to itemise.

Craftsman
    Only ever insured the house as required for the mortgage.

In over 30 years i have never had contents insurance, total waste of money and the savings made over the years far outweigh the costs of premiums should anything ever happen. Valuables always in a safe place as are sentimental items.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post

In over 30 years i have never had contents insurance, total waste of money and the savings made over the years far outweigh the costs of premiums should anything ever happen. Valuables always in a safe place as are sentimental items.
    Can you explain how you consider contents insurance a total waste of money ?
    Is your "safe place" off site possibly locked in a bank vault ?

Master

All insurance can be classed as a ‘total waste of money’ if you never claim on it, but it’s there ‘in the event’ of. Assuming you don’t live in a bare house, you’ve been extremely lucky, though I would call it very naive myself and a small price to pay for peace of mind. Imagine a major disaster in your home and a 50k bill - 50k seems a lot but you look at the cost of replacing each room and it so adds up.

Master
    LV insurance i think it was about £20 extra to cover a £6000 Rolex anywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I use Marks and Spencer because of their high individual valuables limit without the need to itemise.
    That's why I use Hiscox. Not cheap, but they are supposed to be very good if the worst happens.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I just moved from Hiscow to NFU, all risks high unspecified items and about £100 cheaper

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    All insurance can be classed as a ‘total waste of money’ if you never claim on it, but it’s there ‘in the event’ of. Assuming you don’t live in a bare house, you’ve been extremely lucky, though I would call it very naive myself and a small price to pay for peace of mind. Imagine a major disaster in your home and a 50k bill - 50k seems a lot but you look at the cost of replacing each room and it so adds up.
    You are the insurance companies friend.

It is not naive it is a financial decision based on risk. Where i live, type of property who i am. and a lot of other factors that form my decision.

And Reggie.... i consider it a total waste of money. I am not saying that for you or others it is so, each will make their own decision, for me i have made mine and in hindsight it has been a financial success. I have saved thousands. I am careful with my property and maintenance i am aware about my own security and that of my possessions, as i said i do not forgo house insurance just contents.....so not sure where Devonians 50K will come from to affect me........clearly i will never explain what or where my safe place is.

You are the insurance companies friend.

It is not naive it is a financial decision based on risk. Where i live, type of property who i am. and a lot of other factors that form my decision.

And Reggie.... i consider it a total waste of money. I am not saying that for you or others it is so, each will make their own decision, for me i have made mine and in hindsight it has been a financial success. I have saved thousands. I am careful with my property and maintenance i am aware about my own security and that of my possessions, as i said i do not forgo house insurance just contents.....so not sure where Devonians 50K will come from to affect me........clearly i will never explain what or where my safe place is.
    People with your attitude to risk are why car insurance is compulsory, we all hope it won't happen to us, but it might

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    People with your attitude to risk are why car insurance is compulsory, we all hope it won't happen to us, but it might
    Rubbish. His decision has literally zero effect on a third party. The compulsory level of car insurance is to cover the exact opposite.

Most insurance firms cover up to£2000 limits

How much is it?

It's not the same is it, an uninsured (contents) home owner is only risking his own possessions unlike a driver.

Many people don't seem willing to take any risk nowadays. I do have full home insurance but don't bother with central heating, pet, 'Protect Your Bubble' and such like.

Journeyman
    M&S gives me £100k contents cover with single item limit of £10k for about £30-40 per month.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Coops365 View Post
    Rubbish. His decision has literally zero effect on a third party. The compulsory level of car insurance is to cover the exact opposite.
    My point was the it will never happen to me attitude

Master
    Another vote for M&S here.

As with any insurance policy make sure that when renewal time comes you don't automatically accept their renewal quote, instigate another quote yourself either online or by phone - invariably you WILL save yourself a few quid.

Craftsman
    Idiot. Of course i insure my car.

Idiot. Of course i insure my car.
    But if it wasn't compulsory you wouldn't !

Craftsman
    Of course i would. Are you really this idiotic?
    The risks with a car are far higher, i do not know many people ...if any... that have not had an accident but i know plenty who have never needed to claim on their house insurance. It is all about balancing the risk and making a decision.
    Please stop this silliness.

Master
    Thanks
    Looks like M&S is the way forward do I go premier or standard?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    Thanks
    Looks like M&S is the way forward do I go premier or standard?
    Initially we went with the premier cover but to be honest it provided a much higher level of cover than we actually needed, we've had a standard policy since.

Obviously your needs may well be different to ours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Initially we went with the premier cover but to be honest it provided a much higher level of cover than we actually needed, we've had a standard policy since.

Obviously your needs may well be different to ours.
    Yes I think premier is a little bit overkill thanks

Master
    ^ We came to the conclusion that whilst we would've quite liked the extra level of valuables cover that the premier policy provides it wasn't worth paying the extra premium because there is no way we would need it for everything else, short of a lottery win!

Craftsman

Home insurance recommendations

I'm with Admiral. Very reasonable and no problems so far

Thanks to the information in this thread I've chopped Direct line in for the M&S premium as my renewal date is coming up. Came in about £30/year cheaper and increased coverage.

It is not naive it is a financial decision based on risk. Where i live, type of property who i am. and a lot of other factors that form my decision. .... i consider it a total waste of money.
    Security cameras help but are not the massive deterrent that people think they are so whatever you go for make sure the quality is exceptional. I have had many years experience of dealing with the aftermath of burglaries and having homeowners and business owners tell me they have images.
    The vast majority of these images were absolute crap. Make sure you have cameras internal and external, set them for visual id post entry , these will need to be hidden. It is a lot of work but the scumsuckers that are looking to burgle property will hoody up prior to doing so and don't care that you have a camera as cameras are now a fact of life in their business. Get excellent solid security, make it too hard to actually get in. That coupled with cameras will be a deterrent. Look to deter them, make your property harder to burgle than everyone elses around you.
    That's another quote of yours from a recent thread I recall.

Worthwhile precautions, and certainly from a separate safety aspect, but on the burglary/theft concern I find it curious that you wholeheartedly advocate the financial expense and “a lot of work” to turn a home into a cross between Fort Knox and ‘Big Brother’, yet balk at spending a few hundred quid annually to additionally protect the financial investment in your possessions via Insurance, particularly when there are so many other causes of loss besides theft/malicious damage that no-one can really do much about?

Further, during your “many years experience of dealing with the aftermath of burglaries”, did any of those unfortunates with their worthless images ever see the value in insurance I wonder (presuming they held it)?

Fair enough, I don't know your circumstances and fully respect your right to make a decision re risk/reward, but I just find it of strange logic, when you don’t appear to have any issue with protective expenditure in other areas?

I appreciate that you may be very ‘risk aware’ and deem yourself capable, but I don’t care how careful someone might be or how secure a home is - if it’s positioned behind a moat & drawbridge, inhabited by ‘Seal Team Six’, with wonderful maintenance – none of that will help in the event of an electrical fire, burst water pipe, freak flood, or a member of your household leaving their hair straighteners on.

It’s not just in the home either – there’s a peace of mind being totally carefree in wearing a watch costing several thousand pounds absolutely anywhere & in the knowledge of coverage when travelling abroad, if mugged, seeing it go flying when falling down steps, experiencing spring-bar failure in the sea, or a million other things that could go wrong. Same goes for a wife out & about wearing her jewellery, or kids laptops & stuff at Uni (if someone happens to have either).
    Last edited by Stringer; 12th February 2018 at 14:33.

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Another vote for M&S here.

As with any insurance policy make sure that when renewal time comes you don't automatically accept their renewal quote, instigate another quote yourself either online or by phone - invariably you WILL save yourself a few quid.
    This did not work this year - and when i requoted it then went and uodated my renewal quote... quite a jump this year but no one wlse seemed cheaper....

Thanks

Matt