closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new Omega Seamaster Olympic special

Another new Omega Seamaster Olympic special

I've not sorted out a new photo host so I'm just going to post the link to the Omega site

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...ction/product/

Not quite gold, silver and bronze but yellow gold, a new white gold alloy and Sedna gold.....and enamel dials.
    Last edited by Rob; 5th February 2018 at 20:59. Reason: Someone found a link to the watch on the Omega site

Not bad at all.

Master
    Classy. Wouldn't get one because I assume I can get a very nice vintage for similar or.less money but nice design

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Very elegant.

Size is spot on (and why there isn't a rush on cheaper vintage models).

Would I buy one at that price, and in such a naf box.......

Master
    Just seen the price. Who buys that over a patek calatrava or a similar vacheron?

Here they are on A Blog to Watch; link...and Omega's site: Olympic Games Gold Collection. The latter also show the platinum model: 522.93.40.20.01.001. I dare not think about their prices...

Craftsman
    Very similar to the tressor. Pricing is pretty aggressive.

Bit of class there but those prices are stupid. Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Here they are on A Blog to Watch; link...and Omega's site: Olympic Games Gold Collection. The latter also show the platinum model: 522.93.40.20.01.001. I dare not think about their prices...
    That's odd, I looked at the Omega site to find more details before starting the thread and didn't see anything, certainly not on the front page.

As for the price...I presume enamel dials aren't cheap to make

Craftsman
    Very elegant....... especially when you compare it to some of the more recent limited editions

A picture for the thread

The white gold used by Omega for this model is called Canopus. From SJX: "Technical details are still lacking, but Canopus is an alloy that’s whiter than ordinary white gold, one that was first used in a De Ville Ladymatic launched in a low-key manner back in 2016 (which no one seems to have noticed)."
    Last edited by Der Amf; 5th February 2018 at 21:10.

A good alternative to a Cellini
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    That's odd, I looked at the Omega site to find more details before starting the thread and didn't see anything, certainly not on the front page.

As for the price...I presume enamel dials aren't cheap to make
    Seiko manage to supply enamel dials on £500 watches. And hand lacquered dials (Urushi) below a grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    Seiko manage to supply enamel dials on £500 watches.
    What do they use, Humbrol?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    What do they use, Humbrol?
    Whatever they use, it doesn't add 10k plus to the price

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

The white gold used by Omega for this model is called Canopus. From SJX: "Technical details are still lacking, but Canopus is an alloy that’s whiter than ordinary white gold, one that was first used in a De Ville Ladymatic launched in a low-key manner back in 2016 (which no one seems to have noticed)."
    Is may have been easy to miss as there there are 103 variations of the De Ville Ladymatic, including the 18k Canopus™ white gold 425.65.34.20.55.013 model.

And yes, Omega have registered 'Canopus gold' as a trademark (link).

Craftsman
    What a booring looking watch, something my grandfather would wear. A lot of money for an olympic edition that barely shows it.

Master
    I think the prices are ridiculous why would you choose omega over lange or patek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I like that a lot. Very classy. Ridiculous price but perhaps with 20-30% discounts possible might make it an alternative to a Calatrava.

Martyn

Looks-wise, Omega have got this right. Given their current direction, this watch is a refreshing return to form and l think is a lovely-looking thing.

I didn't notice the price however. Can somebody save me a bit of time and tell me what it is? From earlier comments lm guessing that Omegas delusional pricing drive continues with vigour?

Edit:- Just looked at the price... shame... But as Omegamanic remarked, it's a great alternative to a Cellini and imo classier looking.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 6th February 2018 at 00:30.

It's a handsome thing, the platinum version...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It's a handsome thing, the platinum version...

That is stunning!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Just seen the price. Who buys that over a patek calatrava or a similar vacheron?

I must say I agree with the statement above!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    A good alternative to a Cellini
    Most dress watches are.

I love the look of this, but it's too large for me. A large dial 39.5mm case would wear huge on me. If it were 36mm I'd think about buying one... used. It's really nice looking and super tasteful (pretty rare for modern omega).

Canapus (my phone can't even spell it) gold is a horrible name. Sounds like cannabis gold.
    Last edited by JP Chestnut; 6th February 2018 at 02:06.

I appreciate you like to keep your complaints to posts ratio at 1:1, but as Canopus is one of the very brightest stars in the night time sky, second only to Sirius, "essentially white when seen with the naked eye", it's a reasonably apt name for an especially brilliant white gold alloy.

Master

A beautiful and elegant design, particularly in platinum. Nonetheless there's a few reasons I wouldn't choose one personally, including the size, the crown (even if it suits it), the slightly self-consciously faux vintage vibe (which is also what's so charming and sophisticated about it, and yet...), and of course the incredibly long list of alternatives at the price or cheaper that don't have those issues. It's strange, I both like it and wouldn't really want it.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 6th February 2018 at 10:15.

Someone who isn’t a watch snob and prefers the look of the Omega.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Lot of money to spend on a watch if you're not interested in watches

Master
    patek puts effort on hand finishing their movement and it’s not just a snob brand thing that has earned patek its reputation. The omega movement on the other hand is basically machine finished

Consider his points the other way round: it will be bought by people who like how it looks and aren't then inhibited by the idea that above a certain price point you ought to be buying only this or that brand

Master
    £29,000 for an Omega!!! Their comedy pricing continues...and that combined with the 'every day of the week' limited editions is why I've long departed what was my favourite brand.

Grand Master
    Too big, too expensive.

I like the plain style, but a vintage 60s watch in the same style ( and sensible size) makes far more sense...........but I guess they’re not trying to sell to folks like me.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    £29,000 for an Omega!!! Their comedy pricing continues...and that combined with the 'every day of the week' limited editions is why I've long departed what was my favourite brand.
    What is the list price for a platinum Rolex, please?

On my system the platinum on leather 522.93.40.20.01.001 shows a recommended sale price of £28,000. Has there been a reduction already...or am I looking at the wrong one?

Master
    A stainless steel version, 1mm smaller and without the onion crown and price tag would do rather well I think...

Master
    What is the list price for a platinum Rolex, please?

On my system the platinum on leather 522.93.40.20.01.001 shows a recommended sale price of £28,000. Has there been a reduction already...or am I looking at the wrong one?
    3 things:

Ok, its 28k - like that makes me want to buy it. Are you mental?

The Rolex, I assume the Platona, has a platinum bracelet

The used price will bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    3 things:

Ok, its 28k - like that makes me want to buy it. Are you mental?

The Rolex, I assume the Platona, has a platinum bracelet

The used price will bomb!
    Re 3 things:

• not really
    • I've no model in mind; that's a good point; what is the list price, please?
    • that's probably so, but is that unusual?

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    patek puts effort on hand finishing their movement and it’s not just a snob brand thing that has earned patek its reputation. The omega movement on the other hand is basically machine finished
    Illustrates my point. Is hand finishing necessarily better?

Master
    For high end dress watches it is very important and always “better”, the more hand finishing the better. To pay that money you want blood sweat and tears going in to finishing it traditionally and with care. The swatch group can stamp out fully machine made watches, swatch sistem51 on a conveyor belt. In the real world they serve the function as well as any watch.

Price and value is meaningless without an understanding of quality

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    A stainless steel version, 1mm smaller and without the onion crown and price tag would do rather well I think...
    Going by Omegas normal habits, would it be more likely to expect a SS at the same size, but with a date window added?

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    For high end dress watches it is very important and always “better”, the more hand finishing the better. To pay that money you want blood sweat and tears going in to finishing it traditionally and with care. The swatch group can stamp out fully machine made watches, swatch sistem51 on a conveyor belt. In the real world they serve the function as well as any watch.

Price and value is meaningless without an understanding of quality
    I would judge quality by the product and not by the manufacturing process.

Master

I would judge quality by the product and not by the manufacturing process.
    And there is clearly a gulf of difference in the warmth and overall look of a hand finished movement vs machined one. Display case back?

Master
    No it isn’t, but you would expect machine finishing to be less work and cost less, regardless of which is better. Having said that, apparently the price is roughly in line with Omega’s constellations in these metals. Clearly the price is as much about how they want the watch to be perceived as about the materials or manufacturing process.

Master
    Lot of money to spend on a watch if you're not interested in watches

People who don't want to deal with Patek for service. I think that a decent number of the Olympic watches are impulse purchases by very wealthy people who go to the olympics. For them, it's a momento.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    People who don't want to deal with Patek for service. I think that a decent number of the Olympic watches are impulse purchases by very wealthy people who go to the olympics. For them, it's a momento.
    I think you are saying this is marketed at very wealthy people who goes to the Olympic and want an expensive souvenir and doesn’t like patek!

Craftsman
    Isn't the movement essentially the same as the 8800, which can be found in watches that retail for £4k

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    Isn't the movement essentially the same as the 8800, which can be found in watches that retail for £4k
    It probably is, but the gold rotor and balance bridge must add to the cost. And the 8807 can also be found in a watch with a £40k+ recommended sale price (220.58.38.20.99.003).

A good looking watch. The Omega website indicates "contact a boutique about this piece" - therefore if boutique only availability no discount from an already optimistic price?

Master
    It probably is, but the gold rotor and balance bridge must add to the cost. And the 8807 can also be found in a watch with a £40k+ recommended sale price (220.58.38.20.99.003).
    I wonder how much a gold rotor would really add to the cost though? I’m not sure how much they weigh, and what other factors would be involved. But I’ve seen it quoted that you might have $1000 of actual gold in a gold watch. Even if this is inaccurate or out of date, it implies that a gold rotor, or even case, may appear luxurious but it doesn’t really explain the huge price difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Not sure when this was released. Steel case the same size as the gold.

Only available in Venice though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Not sure when this was released. Steel case the same size as the gold.
    Only available in Venice though.
    Ah well spotted. Having seen this, it’s amazing how successful the Olympic makeover is. Removing the floating date and changing the Omega logo really lifts it.