closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay fakes, let's stop it...

Master

eBay fakes, let's stop it...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corum-Bub...sAAOSwYNxac0Q7

Particularly sad story to go with the particularly bad fake! Feel free to report before someone gets burned.

Blog Entries
    Looks like it's gone already.

Well done.

Apprentice
    I have been reporting a lot of these fakes lately and many seem to stay the course of the auction which baffles me

God bless all those people that report fakes and dubious watches!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thealphabeta View Post
    I have been reporting a lot of these fakes lately and many seem to stay the course of the auction which baffles me
    I've noticed repeatedly that watches that have already received a number of bids tend to stay despite being reported.

The fact that this benefits eBay (since most buyers will probably not notice that they have a fake) must of course be a coincidence.

Any fakes you see, bid them high up when you win send seller a message saying you believe it’s a fake and you’ll be reporting it to eBay. The seller won’t chase payment and eBay might even look into it. Good idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Much as I like their products, Rolex make sufficient profit from the million or so timepieces that they sell every year to be able to afford to identify and report counterfeits on eBay themselves, without my having to do it on their behalf.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Much as I like their products, Rolex make sufficient profit from the million or so timepieces that they sell every year to be able to afford to identify and report counterfeits on eBay themselves, without my having to do it on their behalf.
    You'd think so, wouldn't you.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I report them not for Rolex but for the poor person that buys it thinking it's real.

Master
    Was this the original post with the Granddad story? It just came into my ebay email

I don't think eBay care much to be honest and I've given up reporting them. Last year I reported some fake Titoni Master Series from the a UK seller which all had the same serial numbers on the side (despite being different watches with different dials). The ads got pulled but then reappeared the next day with the serial number photos removed. Once again I reported them but nothing happened this time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Was this the original post with the Granddad story? It just came into my ebay email

Yip, to pay for the headstone ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thealphabeta View Post
    I’ve reported the same fake 3 times and it still keeps being posted on eBay…. Same seller and same photos…. They just don’t take it seriously

Master
    I am just guessing that when someone reports a fake, ebay takes it down and that is the end of it. The dodgy seller just sells it to someone else at a later date. So in a way, reporting a fake achieves nothing.

...and his recent ebay feedback is interesting ...."Very bad! He sold me blacklisted iPhone. Plz Avoid this seller"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I am just guessing that when someone reports a fake, ebay takes it down and that is the end of it.
    No, not at all!

Sometimes reported items are taken down but in the majority of instances, in my experience, they are not taken down (not even where I know that multiple people have reported the item).

It seems to me that reported items are commonly not taken down when they have already received a decent number of bids and/or where they are being sold by a high feedback seller.

The impression is that eBay pays lip service to removing reported counterfeits but often seems to give the benefit of the doubt. It is particularly galling when items are taken down (or removed by the vendor) and then reposted and then eBay does nothing.

Regarding fakes when they are reported do people document (to eBay) why they are fake or just expect them to be removed on good will? I ask because I assume the folk on eBay are hardly WIS so probably haven’t a clue about what’s fake and what’s real.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Regarding fakes when they are reported do people document (to eBay) why they are fake or just expect them to be removed on good will?
    You click the 'Report item' link and this gives you a set of multiple choice options to choose the type of report you want to make (there are many types of report). If you select the set of options to make a "Counterfeit, fake, or replica items" report then you are given a smallish text box in which you can enter a reason for the report. It is a very limited space. There is not enough room to describe in detail why an item is fake; it's really just a few words.

I have always presumed that eBay automatically scans the entered text for key words, and combines this with the number of reports, possibly combined with some kind of reputation/reliability score for the reporters, versus number of bids already received and the reputation of the seller.

It seems unlikely that there is normally human intervention on eBay's side except where the automated algorithm cannot decide on its own.

Sadly, nothing will change until the law does, forcing eBay to have to take it seriously and actually spend ££ to protect their buyers.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly, nothing will change until the law does, forcing eBay to have to take it seriously and actually spend ££ to protect their buyers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    In other news, eBay already goes too far in protecting its buyers at the cost of legitimate sellers!

My impression (and this is only my inferred impression) is that eBay's policy is not to be overly worried about fakes being sold as buyers can always open a case and get their money back. But I also bet that only a minority of buyers who receive a fake ever recognise it as such, so it (coincidentally of course) works in eBay's financial favour. Thus they only need to pay out in a minority of cases and continue to collect fees in the majority of cases.

Craftsman
    A couple of years ago, I reported a seller who was selling my watch (which happened to be on my wrist at the time) with my photographs and ebay still did nothing!