closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bought a Rolex off Ebay? Read this.

Journeyman

Bought a Rolex off Ebay? Read this.

Well one thing, it puts to bed the box & papers arguments, as they are being faked as much as the watches. I do wonder how many are walking round their "genuine" watch in complete oblivion..
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...lmost-12069499

Apprentice
    Who would send a total stranger $10K+ for a sight unseen Rolex emanating from an E-Bay ad?

Does "en caveat emptor" apply in this case?

Craftsman
    "But he’ll repay just £29,000 - that's 4.3% of the total"

eBay and PayPal got more out of him in fees. Doesn't look like the buyers will be getting any money back, no mention of it in the news article.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    2 threads already running on this.

Master
    And only a suspended sentence! Makes no sense after defrauding people out of 700k!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kas9t82 View Post
    I do wonder how many are walking round their "genuine" watch in complete oblivion..
    I wonder about that too.

Master
    Crime pays.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    There's going to be a lot of unhappy people out there!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Every Rolex that I have ever bough from a non Rolex source is always with Rolex within 24 hours and I always make sure that the deal takes place either in the house or office of the seller. Also doing the deal in a bank is fine because CCTV is everywhere and that also with a landline phone number gives you protection. Don't ever deal with a mobile number and the watch being sent through the post, that is madness.

Fakes watches are getting better and the fake paperwork is almost undetectable, so you need to be sensible.

this has been covered in previous posts about this seller

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taz11 View Post
    this has been covered in previous posts about this seller
    Yes we know, it was stated above - "2 threads already running on this". ( Post no 4)

You are repeating something telling us that this is being repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Every Rolex that I have ever bough from a non Rolex source is always with Rolex within 24 hours and I always make sure that the deal takes place either in the house or office of the seller. Also doing the deal in a bank is fine because CCTV is everywhere and that also with a landline phone number gives you protection. Don't ever deal with a mobile number and the watch being sent through the post, that is madness.

Fakes watches are getting better and the fake paperwork is almost undetectable, so you need to be sensible.
    So you send a purchased watch to Rolex for servicing? But how does it help? If the watch is fake then surely the seller has long gone and you wont get your money back. Or am i missing something.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    So you send a purchased watch to Rolex for servicing? But how does it help? If the watch is fake then surely the seller has long gone and you wont get your money back. Or am i missing something.
    Yes you missed big time.

The main thing is to be able to trace him which visiting a house or office makes much easier. Get the serial number on the receipt and if Rolex pronounce it fake, you got an easier recourse. Rolex confirm the authenticity on the spot when they remove the back.

Craftsman
    Yes you missed big time.

The main thing is to be able to trace him which visiting a house or office
    Ahh but these people are Criminals.... it would be easy enough for them to use someone else's house or office while they are away on holiday etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    Ahh but these people are Criminals.... it would be easy enough for them to use someone else's house or office while they are away on holiday etc.
    Well yes that is true but it is reducing the chances of something dodgy happening. Nothing is foolproof but it does level the odds in your favour.

Master
    I thought that if you bought something on eBay, (i.e. in an open market), even if it had been stolen the goods could not be confiscated from you .. provided that you were not aware that you were buying stolen goods

I am not saying that I would or condone any such like behaviour, but my point was "just a matter of law"

Am I wrong?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I thought that if you bought something on eBay, (i.e. in an open market), even if it had been stolen the goods could not be confiscated from you .. provided that you were not aware that you were buying stolen goods

I am not saying that I would or condone any such like behaviour, but my point was "just a matter of law"

Am I wrong?
    Yes, wholly incorrect.

The legal principle in UK law is "nemo dat quod non habet" --- no one can give that which is not his to give.*

If you do not have title to something, you cannot pass it to another. Whether you bought in good faith or not, if title was not properly passed the the item ain't yours.

* Latin was one of my Masters degree subjects and my translation here is slightly free, but deliberately so in order to help understanding.

H

Master
    Gullible people aside, Joe Public has been stiffed again.

That’s a joke of a fine AND sentence. If they’d told him it was an extra year for every 10 grand not paid back, I’d say he’d have found a lot more of it pretty bloody quickly.

Also like to have seen the outcome if he owed the government 700k in tax.

Master
    I bought a 20mm bracelet off AliExpress in the style of a oyster glide-lock; although the photo showed it was unbranded the one that was delivered was made by Rolex. Guess I got lucky?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Yes, wholly incorrect.

The legal principle in UK law is "nemo dat quod non habet" --- no one can give that which is not his to give.*

If you do not have title to something, you cannot pass it to another. Whether you bought in good faith or not, if title was not properly passed the the item ain't yours.

* Latin was one of my Masters degree subjects and my translation here is slightly free, but deliberately so in order to help understanding.

H
    I thought that eBay was deemed to by an "Market overt"

does the same apply if you buy goods at auction - i.e. no title to stolen goods?
    Last edited by BillN; 23rd February 2018 at 14:34.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    I bought a 20mm bracelet off AliExpress in the style of a oyster glide-lock; although the photo showed it was unbranded the one that was delivered was made by Rolex. Guess I got lucky?
    I would say you got unlucky, as you can't sell it on. Well, not here, at any rate.

Master

does the same apply if you buy goods at auction - i.e. no title to stolen goods?
    It's simple! If the seller (individual, auction, business or whatever) did not have title to the item, no one who obtains the item from them in turn can then claim to have gained title!

H

Yes you missed big time.

The main thing is to be able to trace him which visiting a house or office makes much easier. Get the serial number on the receipt and if Rolex pronounce it fake, you got an easier recourse. Rolex confirm the authenticity on the spot when they remove the back.
    When they remove the back yes they will see their movement.

But if after market bits have been added on or the watch is frankenised it will take time even for the Rolex service centre to find out. You will have to go to the back of the queue for that type of service. By the time u get an answer the seller would have long gone.

I think i will never buy Rolex from ebay...ever. Even if the seller is a so called dealer of high end watches. The game is crooked.

Craftsman

Bought a Rolex off Ebay? Read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Keen to understand what you see here. Apart from the listing title stating 2017 and the box being too new what's wrong with it? Am I missing something obvious?
    Last edited by toptime; 23rd February 2018 at 17:55.

Craftsman

The concept of Market Ouvert was abolished in 1995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_ouvert