closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who loves watching watch reviews on YouTube

Banned

Who loves watching watch reviews on YouTube

I’m becoming a bit obsessed with watching reviews about Watches on YouTube at the moment .

I found myself spending a couple of hours today looking at random reviews of Watches I’m thinking about adding to my collection . I especially love looking at Watch battle reviews , some of my favourite channels are

Theo and Harris
    Watchuseek
    aBlogtoWatch

And even archieluxury ( who is actually a lunatic )

Anyone else into watch reviews ? Which channels are best in your opinion ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    IMG_4777.JPG

Master
    I couldn’t believe people would actually watch Archie luxury until I saw one of his ‘paid Watch reviews’. I must admit I did wet myself when he ripped it out of some bloke’s collection! “What were you thinking, a load of 5hitters”

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I couldn’t believe people would actually watch Archie luxury until I saw one of his ‘paid Watch reviews’. I must admit I did wet myself when he ripped it out of some bloke’s collection! “What were you thinking, a load of 5hitters”
    Yep, watch every one before and after buying a watch. How sad am I ?

Master
    Watchbox with Tim Mosso; in a class of it's own. Because it's got expertise and money....Govberg....behind it. Archie, poor guy, seems mentally ill, which isn't fun to watch after a while. Frederico and TGV are pretty lightweight (sorry, Frederico).
    I don't think any of them make any real money. Which stifles development.
    Still, it's all free.
    Last edited by paskinner; 11th February 2018 at 17:57.

Craftsman
    I watch loads from all different channels. I find Archie hilarious purely because he’s bonkers. I’m not one for the TnH channel something about that kid grates on me! A bit chalk and cheese but The Urban Gentry is a decent channel.

TGV gives me the creeps. Anyone who wears white gloves to review a watch is affected and pretentious. Archie is best left alone...

Bruce Williams (mostly Seiko) is excellent. Enthusiastic and decent production values. Don't bother with any others unless I'm interested in a particular watch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Watchbox with Tim Mosso; in a class of it's own. Because it's got expertise and money....Govberg....behind it. Archie, poor guy, seems mentally ill, which isn't fun to watch after a while. Frederico and TGV are pretty lightweight (sorry, Frederico).
    I don't think any of them make any real money. Which stifles development.
    Still, it's all free.

Tim mosso is so cool , great reviews .

Grand Master
    Archie's the only one I bother with for pure entertainment. Rest of 'em are too pretentious for my liking.

Master
    I sometimes watch Archie Luxury, but don't take it too seriously.

I came across this one when researching the purchase of my first Grand Seiko last year.

Good video and quite interesting if you're into GS, but narrated by a pretentious knob IMO.

Edit - obviously an enormously knowledgeable knob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LVYqlF2XWs
    Last edited by klunk; 11th February 2018 at 18:38.

Watch reviews yes, watch un-boxings no.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post

Good video and quite interesting if you're into GS, but narrated by a pretentious knob IMO.

Edit - obviously an enormously knowledgeable knob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LVYqlF2XWs
    That's Tim Mosso; he can be irritating , but goodness, the depth and range of his knowledge is something to behold. He must spend every waking hour mugging-up on obscure details of watches. A watch nerd if ever there was one. And he gets paid for it....

Master
    That's Tim Mosso; he can be irritating , but goodness, the depth and range of his knowledge is something to behold. He must spend every waking hour mugging-up on obscure details of watches. A watch nerd if ever there was one. And he gets paid for it....
    Indeed, very very knowledgeable.
    I've just been watching another of his videos and must admit he doesn't sound anywhere as pretentious in that one.
    Maybe he just goes a little OTT when he's recording reviews for Govbergs.

Craftsman
    I’ve not seen any of Tim Mosso’s videos, but I’m definitely going to check them out now!

I spend too much time watching videos once I’ve decided upon a watch I want. They tend to be random unboxings/reviews though rather than by anyone specific.

As has already been mentioned TGV and ArchieLuxury are the only channels I actively seek out. Not really sure why as they’re not particularly good or informative. AL is entertaining for all the wrong reasons and TGV has a charm that I can’t quite put my finger on. There’s something about him that makes me want to watch more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn. My first GS will be here in just over a week this makes me want it NOW!

This one is on the way, and the video helped me decide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v14BbNICpk8

Personally I'm a big fan of the Urban Gentry. Very easy to watch.

I agree with an earlier poster about TGV coming across as pretentious, but some of his videos are decent.
    Federico Talks Watches is pretty good, seems a genuine guy with a passion for this hobby.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smogmonster View Post

What swung it, the wonky logo or plastic dial?

Craftsman
    Used to love watching the Prodigal Guide -Talking Hands ; however they don’t appear to have posted anything in the last couple of years

Craftsman
    Watchfinder & co and Armand the watch guy

Journeyman
    Urban Gentry and currently any Damasko/Sinn clips.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post

Bruce Williams (mostly Seiko) is excellent.

+1

I like his enthusiasm.

https://youtu.be/2IeNOmqe-tc?t=107

Master
    Bruce is very easy to watch/listen to actually, he does a great production too. I think he took down his Rolex video though!

Urban Gentry

Armand the watch guy is very informative, as are any of the many channels that Tim Mosso is involved with (I used to find him quite hard to watch, but man does he communicate exactly what I want to know every single time!).

I find The Urban Gentry impossible to watch with the sound on, and just skip to the close ups of the watch if no other decent channel has covered the piece.

Archie in small doses can be very funny, but he does often like to produce content that's effectively 'dog dirt microwaved on high', to quote (and edit) his phrase. His old videos from a few years back can be incredibly informative! Shame things went so off the rails, though perhaps that's the only way he can keep the viewership numbers up.

Master
    I like Bruce Williams and another Seiko guy I can't remember. I find Tim Mosso a bit weird and awkward but he does know his stuff.

The watch finder ones are excellent and some of the Hodinkee ones are good too.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Try Bark and jack and watch hobbyist as well. I guess both are members here. Both seem really good guys with the watch bug.
    Pete

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ticktocking has some very rare high end watches that you would be unlikely to see anywhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn_...CSrsjt8lfa3t8w

Not Armand - too many umms and errs

Urban Gentry has a wide range of stuff - background music is dire, but I usually phase it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Not Armand - too many umms and errs

Urban Gentry has a wide range of stuff - background music is dire, but I usually phase it out.
    Can’t stand whoever the Urban Gentry is. Stabbed a lot of his mates in the back & is apparently super banning of anyone who criticises him. Banned both Christian from T&H & Federico for no reason at all & then refused to talk to them. A bit of a dick really.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Used to love watching the Prodigal Guide -Talking Hands ; however they don’t appear to have posted anything in the last couple of years
    Yeah I missed that - couldn’t find any reason why they stopped doing them.

+1 for watchfinder.co.uk properly brilliant vids.

I've recently stumbled on the properlywound channel. Two guys that, to me at least, are easy to relate to. They just seem like a couple of 'everyday' guys that like watches, and don't have ridiculous budgets

I can never decide if I like TGV, sometimes I watch and kind of enjoy, then I'll watch some others and just think he's an absolute Gonk! Especially the family crest ring and white gloves, stroll on mate, your not the Duke/Earl of New York (or wherever he lives) your an insurance salesman or something!! :)

Master
    I find the best reviews about a particular watch come from someone who has just recently bought one and do a one off review and get it right due to their enthusiasm.

As regards to Archie, it patently obvious that he is skint and needs every penny he can get and has made the mistake of churning out total rubbish on a monumental scale just for the money. This is sad because underneath the bluster there is a man who knows his stuff and is a genuine enthusiast.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    As regards to Archie, it patently obvious that he is skint and needs every penny he can get and has made the mistake of churning out total rubbish on a monumental scale just for the money. This is sad because underneath the bluster there is a man who knows his stuff and is a genuine enthusiast.
    Do you really think Archie knows his stuff, whenever he does a watch review he needs to check on chrono 24 to know what the watch is. I think he is the most clueless watch reviewer around.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    Do you really think Archie knows his stuff, whenever he does a watch review he needs to check on chrono 24 to know what the watch is. I think he is the most clueless watch reviewer around.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    If you look at some of his stuff, of say 5 years ago, before he lost his job, he really was quite good. However today he is a completely off the planet. I just find it genuinely sad that he has got himself into a position where he has to churn out tat and plead for financial support to make ends meet.

Journeyman
    Any reviews with watches I’m looking at.
    Ideally the ones with the best video footage as I wanna see how they look up close, different lighting catching it at different angles etc

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Hunter View Post
    Any reviews with watches I’m looking at.
    Ideally the ones with the best video footage as I wanna see how they look up close, different lighting catching it at different angles etc
    Put it this way , I watched jory goodmans ( the time teller on YouTube ) review of the sbbn031 today and have basically pulled the trigger on one 🤦🏽*♂️ that’s how great the review was

I watch the Urban gentry, I think he would be, judging from the rumors about the way he deals with people he's collaborated with, a bit of a dick in real life, but I get he wants to curate his comments and keep it civil and positive, there's no doubt that there can be a lot of nasty comments on youtube. However some of his content is interesting and I enjoy a lot of it, I just watched his new Seamaster review and a few titbits of new information on the history of the watch were new to me.

Also been watching a few videos from two young guys called Properly wound, more opinion related content over tech stuff but I enjoy opinions, and I like the dynamic of the two of them.

The new watchfinder videos have been decent too, enjoyed the GS vs Rolex video they just did.

I often just search youtube for a watch I would like to see videos on, you can find some nicely done videos from random people with very small channels that way, and left field videos too. I found a channel of some guy who reviews only Invicta watches, the biggest ones he can find, which in my opinion are ridiculous, but I like the fact that he really seems to love them and doesn't care at all that he's wearing a watch that looks like a kitchen sink strapped to his wrist!
    Last edited by Frakius; 17th February 2018 at 12:34.

Journeyman
    I probably watch far to many. I find Watch Finder the most informative and always enjoyable. One's like The Urban Gentry wear me down. You can be five minutes into the video before the watch in question is mentioned, then the same thing is repeated so many times.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smogmonster View Post

That would go well with my abibas track suit.

Craftsman
    I have to admit, most of my initial research into a specific watch is via a Youtube video.

Young Dylan from Bijou Diamond jewelry.

Heis the best.

Guess he must be on this forum.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robins View Post
    I've recently stumbled on the properlywound channel. Two guys that, to me at least, are easy to relate to. They just seem like a couple of 'everyday' guys that like watches, and don't have ridiculous budgets

I can never decide if I like TGV, sometimes I watch and kind of enjoy, then I'll watch some others and just think he's an absolute Gonk! Especially the family crest ring and white gloves, stroll on mate, your not the Duke/Earl of New York (or wherever he lives) your an insurance salesman or something!! :)
    I'm in the same camp. But been avoiding his videos to lessen the antipathy.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by warhog View Post
    I'm in the same camp. But been avoiding his videos to lessen the antipathy.
    I just find his videos really need editing down, and you wouldn't lose anything he has to say. Talking of the gloves, he does seem to have a thing about running a gloved thumb over the watch face, not sure if its a fetish or what it is.

Journeyman
    Just seen a couple of nice ones on a watch I hadn't heard of before. HELM.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJI View Post
    I just find his videos really need editing down, and you wouldn't lose anything he has to say. Talking of the gloves, he does seem to have a thing about running a gloved thumb over the watch face, not sure if its a fetish or what it is.
    Agree with video length. Watching a 30 minute video with 3 minutes of good info is tedious. The white gloves and the overuse of the word "understated" of just two of many repetitive nuissances. To be fiar, he's making videos that get watched thousands of times over, while I'm just sitting around complaining :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by warhog View Post
    Agree with video length. Watching a 30 minute video with 3 minutes of good info is tedious. The white gloves and the overuse of the word "understated" of just two of many repetitive nuissances. To be fiar, he's making videos that get watched thousands of times over, while I'm just sitting around complaining :)
    He certainly has a lot of subscribers on youtube, but not me any more, I can find so many more enjoyable ones on youtube to watch.

I tend to watch Urban Gentry if I've got a bit of time on my hands because as others say the vids are usually 15-25 mins long. I do like TGV's content though, it's a bit different to a lot of the 'mundane voice behind a camera pointed at a watch' theme of a lot of channels. He seems affable enough and his enthusiasm is quite infectious, also I like how he covers everything from Casio to Rolex with equal effort. The production quality of his channel is way ahead of everything else.

I kind of binge watched a lot of UG when I first got into this, so I'm all caught up now and only tend to watch when he puts a new vid out. It's a good channel for a beginner.

It's important though to get a broad spectrum of opinions and not be too influenced by one persons views. Channels like Random Rob, Armand, UpTick, Federico and Bruce Williams are all good and discuss the watch(s) at hand more concisely than TGV.

Like others I tend to search a watch I'm interested in and watch whatever comes up.