closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Down Jackets - real world experience? Rab or Arc'teryx

Well my delivery driver (Jonathan, nice lad) is delayed due to the weather. Who'd have thunk it?

Re: some of the advice, all gratefully received but a big part of my brief was a jacket that I could wear and not look like the Michelin man. I'd researched Mountain Equipment, PhD, Montane, Rab, Alpkit, Arc'teryx etc and there's clearly some excellent kit and also some well priced kit and it really came down to those 2 kackets that would do most of what I wanted them to do. I have a North Face McMurdo Parka that I just don;t wear as it's too impractical to travel in or use as a daily jacket for everyday activities.

Love the North Face McMurdo, kept me toasty one winter years back when I outside for 9-10 hours at a pop in -8°c.

Another vote here for Alpkit, decent kit at a good price. Used Snugpak extensively a long time back, not everyone’s favourite I know, but literally kept me alive in some pretty horrible environments and you don’t have to worry about getting it wet.

Good luck with the delivery. 😆

Craftsman
    I have a Rab Neutrino Plus which is very warm, packs light and has kept me warm in -20*C in the Arctic. Only complaint would be the zips are occasionally a bit temperamental but a very good piece of kit.

Craftsman
    Any recommendations for a jacket with a Gore-Tex outer shell and down on the inside? Most seem to be all one or the other.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Any recommendations for a jacket with a Gore-Tex outer shell and down on the inside? Most seem to be all one or the other.
    Arcteryx have the Macai and Camosun which would fit that bill. Need to extend the mortgage though. Patagonia also do one I think ?Primo Down Jacket

You tend to have to get pretty hard core to see goretex with down, so usually the top end (expedition type stuff) from most companies. Alternatively you can try somewhere like pH designs where you can specify it in a custom built offering. Unless you are going to a super cold place, take a look at synthetics. These do much better in the rain and can be really warm.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    PhD takes lightweight to warmth ratio to a level no one else does.

You can even build your own.
    Very pleased with my PHD down jacket. Very light weight and good warmth I got the minimus which I think they rate to 0 or -5 And has been a useful winter jacket in Uk.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Mrs Goat swears her best coat is her mountain equipment down jacket
    Loves it to bits and she rolls it up into its own hood for travel
    -16c in Bologna last weekend with wind chill but she was toasty as a toasty thing

Craftsman
    I want to invest in a warm jacket that I can also use for skiing. Any recommendations? (sorry to hijack this thread)

The ubiquitous North Face Nuptse is hard to beat on a bang for buck basis.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    I want to invest in a warm jacket that I can also use for skiing. Any recommendations? (sorry to hijack this thread)
    You don’t need a thick jacket for skiing. Mostly you need a good outer jacket with layering as appropriate underneath. I have a (now pretty old) NF Mountain jacket that is gortex outer with micro fleece inner. I’ve skiied in pretty much all conditions with it and been good. I layer with Icebreaker shirts and add one of their sweaters for v cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    I've got real-world experience of Bergans - I've had the Sauda jacket for years - I love it. No so well known over here so less of a 'name' to pay for, but proper good quality. Worth a look.

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_P...Jacket-Black/#

N
    Agree 100% with this. I've had one for 5/6 years. Still in perfect condition.
    It's been all over the place with me, stuffed in bags and suitcases. It packs itself into its own pocket.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    All-in-ones are lovely for their convenience - but only when you need the weight+warmth of both the majority of time. And unless you live in the outer Hebrides, I think you get a lot more year-round usage and equivalent performance from a Goretex shell + down puffer as a mid-layer when it's really cold. And it is why I'm not a fan of really thick Michelin-man type down jackets. I want the Goretex shell to comfortably fit whether I am wearing just a thin layer or down jacket underneath. My favourite combination so far has been the Arcteryx Cerium LT down jacket + Beta AR shell. They are perfectly matched.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Layerings the thing

Yesterday over my tee shirt I had a thin montaine jacket,TNF polartec jacket and a RAB down jacket.

It was my legs that where cold for once.

Lined merell winter boots only needed a thin pair of regular socks.

The wind in the face was the killer so I will use my motorcycle neck tube today.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    You don’t need a thick jacket for skiing. Mostly you need a good outer jacket with layering as appropriate underneath. I have a (now pretty old) NF Mountain jacket that is gortex outer with micro fleece inner. I’ve skiied in pretty much all conditions with it and been good. I layer with Icebreaker shirts and add one of their sweaters for v cold.
    The biggest mistake is getting a thick jacket for skiing - I have one for more extreme conditions, but otherwise its a shell with a fleece and an Icebreaker long sleeve. You sweat and warm up when skiing and layers are much more effective to keep you warm and for regulating your temp.

Master
    For skiing the paramo bentu combination with a decent base layer is my go to for all but the very coldest conditions when I add a paramo gillet/bodaywarmer thing, in fact for almost all conditions I find myself paramo suits me perfectly just not really smart enough for about town imo but out walking/ skiing etc etc nothing compares in my experience ad it functions way better than goretex for me.

Well a twenty minute walk to get a hair cut in my new jacket has revealed two things:

1) it’s toasty warm for the weight, as warm as my McMurdo withbabout a fifth of the bulk.
    2) my ass is now cold

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have had my RAB Neutrino for a few years and it’s my go to jacket for most cold days

Although I think I would like to try this company

https://www.jottnar.com/uk/mens

Craftsman
    The UK is very wet so down is not ideal. I stick to synthetic for over here as once down gets wet it's useless. Unless you are looking at a fully waterproof shell that is.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The biggest mistake is getting a thick jacket for skiing - I have one for more extreme conditions, but otherwise its a shell with a fleece and an Icebreaker long sleeve. You sweat and warm up when skiing and layers are much more effective to keep you warm and for regulating your temp.
    Thanks all

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bingobadgo View Post
    The UK is very wet so down is not ideal. I stick to synthetic for over here as once down gets wet it's useless. Unless you are looking at a fully waterproof shell that is.

I find down great in the UK. If it is raining in the UK it's not cold enough for down.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I find down great in the UK. If it is raining in the UK it's not cold enough for down.
    Good point.

I have to admit in the last few years I've pretty much gone over to synthetics completely, down's great but I don't like the pucker factor if you feel a few spots whilst you're out and there's not much you can do. About six or seven years ago, got caught out with nothing but a snugpak sleeka elite and a base layer in winter, it was around 5°c as I remember. Took a good while for the jacket to soak through completely, and when it did it still kept me reasonably warm.

I must admit though, a bad experience in my formative years with a '58 pattern sleeping bag left me scarred for life. 😆

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I have a variety of different brands of walking gear..... but I must say that I do like my 'Rab' gear......

My Go To for wet weather are my Rab latok jacket and trousers..... and for cold weather I use a Rab Summit down jacket.

All my Rab gear packs down reasonably small and are quite light compared to most.... so handy for throwing in the backpack.

Would recommend them - a little pricey if buying at full RRP but there are bargains to be had if you search....

Mike
    I’ve currently got a Rab Summit, do you find it leaks a lot of down? The best coat I had was a Marmot Iceland but had to sell it on SC as a) it was too warm for the UK and b) I lost a lot of weight.

Blog Entries
    My go to down for the last two years has been a Canada Goose Hybridge which is a fantastic bit of kit could not recommend it enough.

The weather this week has been idea clime for my Expedition, it’s seen more days this winter than the last three.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    RAB are now doing a fully waterproof down jacket

https://rab.equipment/uk/mens/insula...aliance-jacket

Journeyman
    The op made a great choice and went for the Arcteryx. A jacket that weighs nothing, takes up no luggage space and has incredible warmth while looking stylish.
    Imho natural down cannot be beaten in cold dry weather.... but i wouldn’t wear my Arcteryx skiing as I would be worried it was too fragile.
    Lots of other options for skiing and my best is a light weight kjus jacket. Expensive but encredibly warm, flexible & lightweight.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    My go to down for the last two years has been a Canada Goose Hybridge which is a fantastic bit of kit could not recommend it enough.

The weather this week has been idea clime for my Expedition, it’s seen more days this winter than the last three.

Pitch
    Totally agree with this; the Hybridge is a great jacket and works brilliantly with a shell for when it gets wet.

Master
    The problem with Canada Goose is the massive round label on the sleeve that can be seen at 100 yards. A few people have been mugged for them so I would be wary where I wore it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    The problem with Canada Goose is the massive round label on the sleeve that can be seen at 100 yards. A few people have been mugged for them so I would be wary where I wore it.
    In fairness they are smaller on the Hybridge models! That was one of the final straws to selling my Expedition that they are very recognisable and about 1 in 10 people in London and Essex wears one in the winter. When I got it, I never saw another in the UK. I still have the Hybridge gilet which is nice but isn't as warm as most of the options in the thread, more of a chilly spring evening type thing-perhaps the jacket is warmer?

Blog Entries
    I have worn CG for four years now, daytime and night time in many of the UK's city's as well as Barcelona, Rome, Venice and I have had no approaches to have any of the jackets removed from me. Maybe I have just been very lucky.

I am afraid if I, like many others I guess also, let this kind of targeting concern me, I would have to bin the majority of my jackets, brogues, winter boots, sunglasses, oh and of course not wear a watch in the summer.

Be wary, aware of your space and remove yourself from the not so nice areas and I think we should all be just fine..... but there is always the ....... pay ya money and take ya chance.......LOL

pitch

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I’m not a fan of the logo discs either (not for security, just think they’re a bit much). The good news is that some parkas come in the Black Label version which is much more subtle.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app