closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines VHP

Longines VHP

I've been looking for a sub £1000 watch now for a few months after trading in my BB Bronze with the local AD.
    Whilst I love autos not wearing them during the week means they always need resetting so I've been considering something quartz.

Not wanting to spend GS money I was looking at lower value Seikos and chanced upon the VHP from Longines.
    Whilst I haven't read all the gumf about it yet I'm rather impressed with the build quality and feel.
    Thanks to some clever stuff inside the battery is supposed to last 4 years and you can put the watch in to a hibernation mode by pulling the crown out. After a minute it sets itself to 12 and the second hand stops.
    Several days later you decide to wear the watch again you simply press the crown and the time and date auto adjusts.
    Longines state that it will lose 5 seconds a year however tbh that doesn't really bother me.
    I've tried on many Longines over the years but this one being a little different made me bring it home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats! I have it too, and I think it's excellent 'value for money'.

Master
    Good move, they offer a lot for the money.

Craftsman
    On my list of maybe
    Last edited by Dandandanman; 27th January 2018 at 20:10.

Must admit, these do seem like a great value proposition.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks OP - these look really interesting...

Craftsman
    I think it’s a very clean look and for similar reasons to you, I’m edging more and more to quartz.

I should have said that they also do these in 43mm mine being 41mm.
    The blue is very striking but something made me go for the grey dial, unfortunately they didn't have the white dial but it looks very clean and I may have considered it if they had one.

I have the white dial, it’s lovely.

Journeyman
    Think I need to go and try one. High End Quartz is very tempting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I fancy the white dial but have yet to see one first hand, I must check out the AD next time I am in town.

I do like the grey on your though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I should have said that they also do these in 43mm mine being 41mm.
    The blue is very striking but something made me go for the grey dial, unfortunately they didn't have the white dial but it looks very clean and I may have considered it if they had one.
    41 and 43mm, that explains something for me. I was looking at these in a shop window the other day, liked everything about them except they seemed comically large for the size, almost like a fashion watch in a clothes shop (apologies to 43mm owners).

Master
    Have a limited edition on order but not sure on price,hoping for around £800/900

https://timeandtidewatches.com/intro...nwealth-games/

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Have a limited edition on order but not sure on price,hoping for around £800/900

https://timeandtidewatches.com/intro...nwealth-games/
    The 43 retails at £720 and the 41 is £690. Not sure about special edition though.

Yes, I gave in as well, and bought the blue dial 41mm. It's not putting my lust to rest for a GS Spring Drive ;-) but it looks like an innovative quartz watch in an attractive package. The accuracy appeals to me, of course, but also the power saving feature, and the fact that the second hand hits the markers consistently. The shock and magnetism protection are fun, and the perpetual calendar is really useful.

For me, it will be a great day to day watch. The only problem is that I have too many of those ;-)

The way in which the second hand moves is mesmerising ... not Grand Seiko quartz level, but getting close. And overall, it's not GS territory, but not GS prices either.

Only thing; I never anticipated the Swiss to come out with a poor man's Grand Seiko :-P

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johant View Post
    Yes, I gave in as well, and bought the blue dial 41mm.
    Any photos to share yet? I've tried on all three now and I think the blue dial is my preferred, despite the black date wheel (but can't really complain at the price point). I will get one for sure but just can't decide on colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Any photos to share yet? I've tried on all three now and I think the blue dial is my preferred, despite the black date wheel (but can't really complain at the price point). I will get one for sure but just can't decide on colour.
    Will follow later this week when I have pics online elsewhere ... I am baffled by the image uploader of this forum, TBH

Here are two photos by daylight.

And another one, trying to capture some details of the dial.

Last edited by johant; 21st February 2018 at 18:18.

Master

These look excellent - well done Longines.

Those look like nice watches and the movement is a step up from a bog standard quartz.
    The only thing putting me off is the depth rating on the dial, '5bar, 50 meter'. It is stating the same thing twice, it's like they are explaining what 5 bar is to those that don't know! They could put 72 psi on there as well.
    Additionally, metre is spelt wrong. Aaaaghhh!

Not my video, but cool to watch :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PthKr2Gq35s
    That's fascinating, watching the seconds hand tick every 4 seconds for the time prior to the date change, then during the date change it doesn't tick for 27 seconds, so upon the first tick after that it passes through to two seconds really fast, and then a few seconds later jumps six or so to catch up with all the seconds lost during the date change!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    That's fascinating, watching the seconds hand tick every 4 seconds for the time prior to the date change, then during the date change it doesn't tick for 27 seconds, so upon the first tick after that it passes through to two seconds really fast, and then a few seconds later jumps six or so to catch up with all the seconds lost during the date change!
    You realise this video is in slow motion? In real time it all happens much faster.

You realise this video is in slow motion? In real time it all happens much faster.
    Yes!

Apprentice
    Cant go wrong with Longines, very underrated brand even though they consistently sell a lot of watches. Think I read from the mainstream brands, in terms of sales there are only behind Rolex and Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by jklee369 View Post
    Cant go wrong with Longines, very underrated brand even though they consistently sell a lot of watches. Think I read from the mainstream brands, in terms of sales there are only behind Rolex and Omega.
    I was told that vintage Longines are currently quickly rising in value. Somehow the brand seems to get more exposure, or otherwise gain popularity.

The VHP is a great watch, by the way, with only a few cosmetical flaws (in my opinion).