closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we like smartwatches?

Master

Do we like smartwatches?

Or is that a silly question?

I have an Apple watch, a Pebble and a hybrid Fossil, and cant get on with any of them. They're all just sitting in a drawer. Is it just me?

I get enough email / alerts on my phone & tablet. I certainly don't want them on a phone too.

It's a no from me.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I get enough email / alerts on my phone & tablet. I certainly don't want them on a phone too.

It's a no from me.
    Exactly this, except I do get them on my phone, and therefore I don't also want them alerting me on something so much more visible and accessible!

Definite no from me. I realise some use them for the fitness tracker type things, but that is of no interest to me.

Craftsman
    Not yet seen anything much to like.

Certainly dislike the idea of replacing a watch (which you might like to "look after for the next generation") with something with built in two year obsolescence!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

It's a no from me.
    +1.
    It’s so hard to completely escape from work as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nope. Would mean either not wearing a proper watch or 'pulling a Schwarzkopf' every day to accommodate both, which is ridiculous.

Craftsman
    Had many myself and got rid of them. I only have a Garmin now which is used for fitness.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Not yet seen anything much to like.

Certainly dislike the idea of replacing a watch (which you might like to "look after for the next generation") with something with built in two year obsolescence!
    This is another issue - my phone gets replaced every two years or so, and I don't want things to be like that with yet another bit of not exactly cheap tech!

Sinn did make a special strap that allowed you to wear one of their watches whilst also wearing an iwatch, but man did it look cumbersome and uncomfortable:

https://www.sinn.de/en/Dual_Strap_System.htm

It's just another NSA subsidised tracking device taking away our civil liberties, so no.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No, awful

No.

Master
    I don't like smartwatches but I do like GPS watches like my Garmin for walking and a Citizen GPS for holidays.

Blog Entries
    ..No..

Master
    No. My phone does everything a smart watch can do to suit me.

I bought one of these in an effort to get the best of both worlds:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Onle...832723696.html

Put it on an automatic chronograph for now. Works quite well. Pairs with an Android app. Doesn't bend around the wrist very well, as part of the internal gubbins (battery, etc.) is implanted inside the first third of the strap. Jury's still out as to whether I'll use it long term.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Would I wear one instead of my Omega? No

Would I get an Apple Watch next time I upgrade my Garmin? Very possibly.

Craftsman
    Got a Samsung gear S3 to try, had it a few days and gave it to son, he loves it but I'll be sticking to proper watches.
    A no from me!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    The day I buy a smart watch will be a cold day in hell.

Craftsman
    Never really seen the point myself, although I famously as aid in an IT lesson circa 1993 that the internet was "a load of crap" and "no better than Ceefax" so take that with a handful of salt.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    I think they can be a useful workout & activity tracking aid. I wear one for that reason alone.

I have an original Apple watch, worn infrequently. It does have its uses, however, I work in a fairly small industrial unit and can wander around with it whilst my iPhone lives in my jacket pocket upstairs in my office. I only tend to wear the watch if I'm expecting an important personal message or call though.

Cheers,

Plug

No.

At any time, I'm rarely more than 12 inches away from an iPhone, iPad or Desktop computer every day, so I don't need to wear a computer as well.

Plus, any time I see someone otherwise nicely-dressed but wearing an Apple watch, smart watch or - most particularly - a Fitbit, I think it looks like they're serving an ASBO and sporting an electronic GPS tag.

I just think they’re so pointless *for now*.

I don’t want to know how many steps I do. I don’t want to know my heart rate; one day it’ll be 0, until then, I’m not fussed if it’s either 75 or 80 or 70 or etc.

Nor do I need any of the other functions. I have my phone for messaging and calling, and with that I can actually browse the internet etc.

Sometime in the next 15/20 years, it’ll also be your car keys, door keys, office sign-in thing, universal password etc.

At that point, it will be like a smartphone is now; de facto compulsory for an employed adult during the week, and very useful for anyone else at other times too.

Good thing we have two wrists.

I like mine but only because it looks like an actual watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I like mine but only because it looks like an actual watch.

That looks pretty nice. Details please?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Can’t see the point, and they look stupid on a grown-up.

might just as well have the chip implanted and a barcode stamped on your forehead.

Hmm. They’re the only watch I see under 25’s wearing. I find myself wearing a g shock quite often and after 35 years of mechanical watch wearing I’m starting to find the lack of accuracy, servicing costs and the general cost of Swiss watches off-putting. I’ve also found myself drifting from the ‘mechanical watches have a soul’ line often spouted on this forum. I haven’t bought one yet but even if you view them as disposable they’re still cheap as chips compared to a decent Swiss auto. I’d never say never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can’t see the point, and they look stupid on a grown-up.
    They really do. Some colleagues of mine wear them, catastrophically, with a business suit. It makes them look as though they’ve been electronically tagged (which, in a way, I suppose they have).

To my mind, there is also something a little narrow about wanting to gather and analyse data about one’s own movements.

Master

Not for me

I personally don’t like them but do see the point for some youngsters into fitness?!?
    I suppose anyone who’s into fitness can use them?!?

I know loads of people with them but none wear it all the time and only one uses it for the phone side and work!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    They really do. Some colleagues of mine wear them, catastrophically, with a business suit. It makes them look as though they’ve been electronically tagged (which, in a way, I suppose they have).

To my mind, there is also something a little narrow about wanting to gather and analyse data about one’s own movements.
    Lab rats.

Quote Originally Posted by bingobadgo View Post
    That looks pretty nice. Details please?
    Here you go: https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch...h-fc-285b5b6b/
    Ignore the RRP - you can find them a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Categorically definitely no for kids/teenagers

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Lab rats.
    Ha! I’ll have difficulty now not thinking that...

Craftsman
    I’m not interested in the fitness or tracking side of things and get that they are pretty redundant as ‘smart’ within a relatively short period of time but email and music storage appeal. Now the gen3 Apple product is also water resistant I fancy giving one a try. At only £369 it’ll still operate as a watch when the ‘smart’ is no longer supported. Shame I can’t go for the cellular as it’s restricted to the EE network.

Craftsman
    I cant justify it. I take my watch off when I am at home.. so no sleep measurements for me... So, NO

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    For me, counting the calories and time spent doing exercise and generally moving around etc. are more important features than counting steps, sleep hours or even heart rate. I take mine off before going to bed to charge it every night. Even if the readings are not 100% accurate, I only need them for comparison from one day to another and to push me towards meeting my goals. I sometimes make extra efforts to reach my daily targets when I realise I won’t get there otherwise. Not something I would have even noticed, let alone worked extra for if I didn’t have that tool.

I have the apple watch a solid year without wearing mechanicals. It was great at first but I’ve migrated back to a Rolex. I now wear it only for running.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PMPM View Post
    The day I buy a smart watch will be a cold day in hell.
    I’m taking that day trip also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    No.

At any time, I'm rarely more than 12 inches away from an iPhone, iPad or Desktop computer every day, so I don't need to wear a computer as well.

Plus, any time I see someone otherwise nicely-dressed but wearing an Apple watch, smart watch or - most particularly - a Fitbit, I think it looks like they're serving an ASBO and sporting an electronic GPS tag.
    I wear a Garmin constantly. But don’t consider it to be a smart watch. It has encouraged me to get fitter - taking 12,000 steps daily is good for the heart and mind. The internet tells you so - so it must be true.

Not really.

They are gadgets and are out of date within months.

I bought a cheap one to try it out, but quickly switched to a simple step counting bracelet thing which I wear on my right wrist, leaving the left free for whichever watch I fancy wearing.

They may prove popular in time, but we're nowhere near there yet.

M

Nope, I despise them in fact.
    Just can’t see the point. Who needs to see texts etc on their wrist.
    Smartphones are enough imo

Journeyman
    I trust these techy trashy spy on your wrist type of things even less than the smartphone I was given, which is switched off unless I need to use it.

I'll carry on with my mechanical watches thank you very much.

Master
    Yes. I'e got a few watches which look very smart:

GS Quartz Diver
    Gekota Pilot
    Grovana Coral Reef II
    Orient Star Retrograde
    CW C6

Master
    Just to buck the trend I’ve hardly taken my Apple watch off since buying it last year I don’t wear it when dressed smartly etc but most of the time I do. I love the fitness aspect and it’s helped me lose a stone since new year just completing my “rings” each day, being able to see if it’s worth getting my phone out at a glance is nice too ie is it an email I need to read now or just some marketing bumpf etc. I love my mechanical watches but I don’t wear them anywhere near as much as I used to.

Apprentice
    If I had to get one, it be the Kronaby Apex. I like the fact that there a lot of customization, you can have a second time zone on the watch, button to find your phone/take a picture from your smart phone.

I've got a cheap Chinese thing. Wear it on the left, mechanical on the right. Phone stays on silent, I just get a buzz from the band when notifications arrive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Looks like i have a completely different view even though i am middle aged.

Although i only like the pebble time smart watch.
    I do have the android wear huwaei? but find it complicated to use in comparison along with the poor battery life.
    The pebble is simple and has 5 days battery life between charges.

Its very useful at work getting texts/whatsapp/email at work on my wrist so i dont look like i am skiving by looking at my phone.

Try a cheap pebble and see how you get on people.
    Sadly pebble sold out to fitbit so something to bare in mind going forward but a year or so later i am not noticing any change in functionality.

Another "No" from me. I have enough things to charge and I've yet to see one I like the look of.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations