closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brendan aka Webwatchmaker.

FFS what's going on here!
    If some of the posters here just read back through this thread and take 5 to digest what's been said I'll be amazed if some come up with the same responses.
    Best wishes Bren! Hope you have a good Easter weekend

Blog Entries
    Wow this thread went downhill quickly

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    I am grateful to any customers who recommend my services.
    Some of you never even bother to acknowledge receipt when your watches are returned after repair.

In your case Mr chef, you are fully aware that a chronograph wheel needs to be made for your Omega and that my engineer, who is now unique in this country, would take some time to make it.
    You are of course welcome to contact me and I can return the watch if you prefer, rather than post an ungrateful comment hidden amongst TZ posts.
    You know that Omega would charge you a great deal more than I will so please feel free to send it to them.
    The OP was simply sharing his appreciation of my work and a minority of you take issue with that.
    How shameful can you get ?
    Oh, and Wallasey Runner, what exactly does 'logically required' mean ?
    Are you now the Post Editor ?
    Read the entire thread.
    I'm not giving you any ammunition to prolong a pointless argument.
    I work hard and do my best and appreciate anyone who recognises that.
    I am quite calm thank you.
    It's not up to you what and where people post.
    Neither is it up to you to interfere with the progress of my work.
    Best you mind your own business !
    This more or less sums up the customer service I received from Brendan when he wasn’t able to do a job I’d requested him to do (see post in H&V)

Aggressive, argumentative, and rude.

(PS no point sending me the customary begging PM requesting me to change my post, not happening)
    Last edited by demonloop; 29th March 2018 at 19:47.

Oh dear.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    This more or less sums up the customer service I received from Brendan when he wasn’t able to do a job I’d requested him to do (see post in H&V)

(PS no point sending me the customary begging PM requesting me to change my post, not happening)
    Well I have to say I’ve never found that to be the case when dealing with Brendan. Super helpful and a joy to deal with.
    He’s done maybe 10 watches from Seiko to Rolex for me now, I can’t recommend him highly enough.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If this is descending into a heroes villains thread...HERO

Having read that thread in H&V and how it finished I am extremely surprised you would feel it fair or necessary to mention it again.

Grand Master
    Brendan serviced my explorer 11 about 18 months ago and it's been running at about +1 second a week ever since, and also turned it around in two weeks flat.
    a thoroughly recommended hero for me.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Wouldn't this have been better as a hero post given that the OP just wants to record his appreciation.
    Probably would have been.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Well I have to say I’ve never found that to be the case when dealing with Brendan. Super helpful and a joy to deal with.
    He’s done maybe 10 watches from Seiko to Rolex for me now, I can’t recommend him highly enough.
    I don’t doubt that when everything goes well he’s fine, but I judge customer service when things don’t go to plan.

In fact here’s a few members who posted about good service received, shame they never logged in again after these threads...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=Webwatchmaker

Last edited by demonloop; 29th March 2018 at 20:31.

Craftsman
    I don’t doubt that when everything goes well he’s fine, but I judge customer service when things don’t go to plan.
    Very good point.

I always tell my customers "it's not if a problem arises it how it's dealt with when one does arise that matters".

All I will say is that Demonloop isn’t the only one to have had issues with Brendan.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

I wondered how long until you raised your ugly head !
    Your emails to me were just as rude and unpleasant.
    Thankfully you will need me before I need you.
    You are the only TZ customer I have ever regretted trying to help.
    Being as it the season for a nailing to the cross I will accept it.
    But we rise again !

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Agreed That's been my personal experience dealing with Brendan on his servicing of about 6 of my watches over the last 5 or so years. I highly recommend Brendan's work.

Cheers
    Mark

In fact here’s a few members who posted about good service received, shame they never logged in again after these threads...

That last thread contains 3 people with between 5,000 and 11,000 posts each seeming to be happy with his work

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    All I can say is I feel sorry for original poster. He just messaged me to to say he regrets being a member of TZ.
    I am not perfect and lose it sometimes but there are some great characters on this forum for whom I have the highest regard. It's Easter time.
    I'm off to eat my chocolate egg.

Master
    I wondered how long until you raised your ugly head !
    Your emails to me were just as rude and unpleasant.
    Thankfully you will need me before I need you.
    You are the only TZ customer I have ever regretted trying to help.
    Being as it the season for a nailing to the cross I will accept it.
    But we rise again !
    Thank you for backing up my earlier post about being aggressive and rude, is it too late to add “arrogant”.

“You’ll need me before I need you” - don’t think so Brendan.

I’m sure the membership will read your posts and decide for themselves.

(And I’m not the only one - have a look at the post above yours)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    That last thread contains 3 people with between 5,000 and 11,000 posts each seeming to be happy with his work
    Absolutely. When it goes well, there is no issue.

That misses my point though, doesn’t it?

Master
    This thread would appear to show countless posts in support, very few against.

Absolutely. When it goes well, there is no issue.

That misses my point though, doesn’t it?
    No Youre point seemed to be that perhaps these posts were in some way fake as people just signed up to give Brendan positive feedback. If that wasn’t you’re point what was it?

if you’re suggesting that people don’t sign up when they have problems why? I would have thought that would be more likely, if you google ‘webwatchmaker’ after you get the website next is a bunch of links to TZ

Craftsman
    Well, I'm definitely in the Hero camp.

Throughout my dealing with Brendan I have found him perfectly aimiable and communicative and extremely knowledgable. A positive asset to the TZ community.

It's a pity that a few on here decided to hijack the OP's thread.

Have a great Easter Brendan.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    No Youre point seemed to be that perhaps these posts were in some way fake as people just signed up to give Brendan positive feedback. If that wasn’t you’re point what was it?

if you’re suggesting that people don’t sign up when they have problems why? I would have thought that would be more likely, if you google ‘webwatchmaker’ after you get the website next is a bunch of links to TZ
    No, I think those posters are probably real people. Why they signed up, posted a positive review about Brendan and never logged in again is a mystery, but certainly raised an eyebrow at the time.

I should also add, that I only decided to post when Brendan descended into his unfortunate aggressive behaviour which I don’t believe should go unchecked.

If you’re happy to read his posts on this thread and are still happy to send your watch to him for repair, knock yourself out.

But he’s not the sort of person I would choose to deal with, regardless of his ability to do the work.
    Last edited by demonloop; 29th March 2018 at 21:46.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    This thread would appear to show countless posts in support, very few against.
    A villain post is far more useful than a hero one.

No, I think those posters are probably real people. Why they signed up, posted a positive review about Brendan and never logged in again is a mystery, but certainly raised an eyebrow at the time.

I should also add, that I only decided to post when Brendan descended into his unfortunate aggressive behaviour which I don’t believe should go unchecked.

If you’re happy to read his posts on this thread and are still happy to send your watch to him for repair, knock yourself out.

But he’s not the sort of person I would choose to deal with, regardless of his ability to do the work.
    I would guess maybe Brendan told them about the forum, nothing wrong with that. If I signed in for the first time in the last couple of weeks not sure I would keep coming back seems to have been rather aggressive on here recently.

I have never used his services, don’t know if I will or not but as others have said an awful lot of positive reviews of his work here.

Not quite sure why you think you are the one who should judge his posts as ‘unfortunate aggressive behaviour’ and why you seem to keep bringing up old threads to seemingly try and put him down, especially as 2 of them seem to just contain praise of his work mainly from longstanding active members.

And no one is forcing you ‘deal with’ him, if you choose not to then just leave it.

Big thumbs up for Brendans services from me. He manged to resurrect an old ranchero that needed some serious tlc ( inc a full balance rebuild ) and had been rejected by another chap. Great comms throughout, with loads of photos,and very reasonasble price.
    Was wearing in today, and keeping great time a year or so after repair..
    Cheers again.
    Jerome

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    FFS what's going on here!
    If some of the posters here just read back through this thread and take 5 to digest what's been said I'll be amazed if some come up with the same responses.
    Best wishes Bren! Hope you have a good Easter weekend
    I can only concur with Clems posting above.

In addition I would like to add that the majority of postings on the form are positive with regard to Brendan’s work and that is good enough for me.

Some seem to be loosing the point of late. This is a forum for watch enthusiasts to share their knowledge and enthusiasm for watches. However recently there seems to be a growing trend by some forum members to post unhelpful or needless and small minded comments on threads for no apparent reason. Perhaps they feel the need to be involved or participate in every discussion. It is however becoming dull.

Please stop, it doesn’t reflect well on either the culprits or the forum.

Happy Easter everyone.

Master
    Blog Entries

This is aggressive?

All I can say is I feel sorry for original poster. He just messaged me to to say he regrets being a member of TZ.
    I am not perfect and lose it sometimes but there are some great characters on this forum for whom I have the highest regard. It's Easter time.
    I'm off to eat my chocolate egg.

Master
    Brendan has just carried out a service on a Seiko of mine and a tricky repair on a 5513 and they look great!

It's been one of the easiest and pleasant services I've had. He ordered hard to find parts kept me updated regularly throughout. It makes a huge difference when you can trust someone and they're happy to communicate throughout the process.

I'm now sending him my 6159 and I have a few more lined up if he can fit them in.

I'll post pics, I'm just waiting for a bit of time and natural light and I'll do a SOTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thank you for backing up my earlier post about being aggressive and rude, is it too late to add “arrogant”.

“You’ll need me before I need you” - don’t think so Brendan.

(And I’m not the only one - have a look at the post above yours)
    Well I've decided. I would use Brendan again as I've had excellent service from him.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM View Post
    I can only concur with Clems posting above.

In addition I would like to add that the majority of postings on the form are positive with regard to Brendan’s work and that is good enough for me.
    Well that’s a daft thing to add. If there were six positive posts and four negatives that wouldn’t be good enough for most people.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    No photo?Click bait Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    No photo?
    Click bait

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

This my WIP SD with Brendan a while back. Did a great job on a full service on my 16660 and pressure tested to limits of available machine I think 100m+ from memory which is fine for anything I used it for.

And also my Patek 5146J on his work bench. Great t work!

Another +1 for Brendan.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 30th March 2018 at 00:12.

Blimey what just happened there?

I read through this thread as someone who has a fair few vintage watches I always keep a look out for good watch repairers out there, I have a few that I use and trust but its always good to read about experience others have had with different people.

Regarding the H&V thread about Brendan that was brought up here, while I am sure it may be raw with both parties I cant help but feel its a bit out of order raising it again here. I recall reading through it at the time and checked back to confirm and the last words from Brendan on the subject were "My lesson learnt in customer relations, thanks demonloop" He also openly apologized on the forum, not to mention this was from 12 months ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    but he is a bit of a loose cannon with a temper to match.
    I’m gobsmacked. With all respect, what fooking business is it of yours to sanctimoniously comment on other folks personalities.

Especially a person who has an incredible skill and has a great track record, compared to you who offers nothing, apart from rambling on this forum all day. Every day.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

This my WIP SD with Brendan a while back. Did a great job on a full service on my 16660 and pressure tested to limits of available machine I think 100m+ from memory which is fine for anything I used it for.

And also my Patek 5146J on his work bench. Great t work!

Another +1 for Brendan.
    Many thanks for this martyn, this is really what I was asking the OP for in the first place as it really interests me (repair process and before and after etc) instead I got what seemed like a snippy comment about how most people know what a xxxx Rolex looks like (I didn’t and had to google it)

Thanks

I’m speechless and intrigued at the same time.. looking at the situation from a distance seems to me like there is a dispute between those who “support” Brendan and those “who don’t”..

2 things then..

First, many people complain about this thread being in the wrong section of the forum, although, the same people went completely off topic focusing this thread on Brendan..

Second, whether you agree or not, Brendan knows what he’s doing, period.
    His expertise should not be questioned as he’s a veteran in his field with far more positives reviews than negatives.. having said that, nobody’s perfect, and perhaps his people skills aren’t 10 out of 10.. but, does it matter?

I know sometimes we expect high quality customer service, we like to feel welcome and appreciated for our custom, but sometimes we expect too much! I work in the entertainment business and I think I have an idea of what I’m talking about..

All I’m saying is, if you want a boutique experience, go to a boutique.. if you want a (cheaper) more human experience you’ve got to understand that it will take time and effort to build up a healthy and friendly relationship!

In the end, reviews are there for a reason, so that we can judge whether we want to use one services or not, based on either expertise, customer service or what have you.. it is totally up to you!

I hope I have made myself clear, coz after a few pints I tend to wander too much, and I’m afraid this is the case..

Claudio, out.

What a carry on.

Brendan has serviced a good number of watches for me including pocket watches that no one else would touch. He made a splendid job of renovating my vintage Seamaster at a very reasonable cost for example. He has also modified a number of pieces to my exact requirements. With two pieces that I had problems with afterwards he took them back and sorted them out with good humour.

Somtimes he is a little defensive and can appear quite cross. On the occassions where this has got a little much he has apologised. None of us are perfect.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I don’t doubt Brendan’s credentials in any way. I am sure he is not asking for any advice on customer relations from me either. I do try harder as I get older not to fire off obviously tetchy emails when someone gets my goat. They have never helped my cause. I still fail to control myself occasionally but I am getting better at it with practice. Counting to 10 instead of typing is a better strategy if you are a little irked at someone

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Brendan serviced my Santos 2 years ago now. I wear that watch most of the time and it still runs amazingly, when I adjusted it for summer time it was less than 20 seconds out over something like 6 weeks. I have had a number of watches serviced over the years by others and none have kept their timekeeping like this one

Banned
    Thank you for all your posts.
    The good the bad and the ugly !
    Watchmaking is as much an art as a science and sometimes requires remarkable self control.
    It is a fascinating occupation and sad that so few now choose to pursue it.
    I will however continue to work for as long as I am capable.

All I know is when my Speedy’s service time comes, I hope Brendan will be able to do it for me.

Dave

Journeyman
    Some of you never even bother to acknowledge receipt when your watches are returned after repair.
    I just read this thread and as a lighthearted response, this comment made me chuckle. This happens rarely, in my experience, but it does make you think. I like to feel I get involved in every watch and it's a shame if someone doesn't send a message with some comment when they get it back. In the end, they are the customer and everyone seems to have busy lives these days so, I'm sure I'm being too sensitive!

It is a fascinating occupation and sad that so few now choose to pursue it.
    It's just hard to get started these days unless you have a significant amount of time to study, money to invest in equipment and are able to build a business. I don't think there are many opportunities out there for an apprentice and the jobs you see advertised with (for example) the BHI are all for qualified people. It is a shame as it can be fascinating although working under strict time pressures at a service centre wouldn't appeal to me. The BHI are investing in apprenticeships at the moment but I doubt there are more than a few opportunities there.

Regards, Chris

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
    I just read this thread and as a lighthearted response, this comment made me chuckle. This happens rarely, in my experience, but it does make you think. I like to feel I get involved in every watch and it's a shame if someone doesn't send a message with some comment when they get it back. In the end, they are the customer and everyone seems to have busy lives these days so, I'm sure I'm being too sensitive!

It's just hard to get started these days unless you have a significant amount of time to study, money to invest in equipment and are able to build a business. I don't think there are many opportunities out there for an apprentice and the jobs you see advertised with (for example) the BHI are all for qualified people. It is a shame as it can be fascinating although working under strict time pressures at a service centre wouldn't appeal to me. The BHI are investing in apprenticeships at the moment but I doubt there are more than a few opportunities there.

Regards, Chris
    I hated working at factories in CH. Working from home at your own pace is ideal. And as you know we are always busy.

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex Home Worker Drudgery>>>

It certainly appears Swiss Rolex home worker work is drudgery.

Rolex Home Workers.

Found this article on the net,perhaps this explains getting rid of anchor etc they might have to pay there home workers more wages.

To put the mentioned wages in perspective, a teenager working at McDonald's will make around 18 francs (10.50 USD)The luxury watch manufacturer Rolex turns over billions every year but lets their home workers down. They do the finicky work of finishing watch parts, for 7 to 12 francs (4 to 7 USD) per hour.

By Rahel Stauber.

The ladies watch Datejust from Rolex - in 18 K white gold studded with diamonds - costs a proud 72,600 francs (59,000 USD), nothing for small wallets. But the luxury watch business is booming. Christmas sales were better than they'd been for a long time, certain models are sold out and the manufacturers are announcing that they urgently need additional manpower and are offering "wages better than ever before". Sandra K. doesn't notice anything of this, the single mother of two children in school age works as a home worker for Rolex in Bienne. Using a loupe, she has to file the edges of thumb-sized watch parts. A finicky work. Average hourly wage: 10 francs (5.9 USD).

When Sandra K. started working a half year ago, she was in good spirits because she knew her qualities. "I'm a quick worker, that's what they told me at all my other jobs". And she knows the trade too. For 20 years she's regularly been working for one, or the other watch company. To do her job for Rolex well, Sandra started by working 8 half days at Rolex in Bienne, for altogether 250 francs (200 USD). The meager wage didn't bother her. But she wanted to know what she could earn in the future. "That's not important, all will be fine" the department head told her. And she believed him. After all, it wasn't some dubious company she was working for but Rolex - with estimated annual sales of 2.5 billion francs (1.47 billion USD) Switzerland's second largest watch manufacturer. According to the Swiss financial magazine "Bilanz", the co-owning family Borer is "easily in the mid-field of the 300 richest" in the country.

280 francs for 14 days of work
    Sandra K.'s optimism quickly faded. Rolex, for example, pays 6 francs (3.5 USD) for the "rouage" of 100 pieces of Calibre 5030. At first, Sandra K. barely managed 50 pieces per hour. Her first pay statement looked accordingly: For two weeks of work, she received 280 francs (165 USD). "I was devastated, just couldn't believe it", Sandra K. says. A calculation error ? No. "The department head told me clearly that it was normal that home workers hardly made any money in the first year". Roughly 350 women work for Rolex under these conditions. Quitting isn't for Sandra. That's why she's diligently continuing to work, in the hope of becoming quicker. In the mean time, if she hurries, she can make between 7 and 12 francs an hour (4 to 7 USD). Still a pittance. And additional activities are required: She has to drive to Bienne every second day to pick up the parts - at her own cost.

Union wants to act
    Why does such a noted company like Rolex let their home workers work in such miserable circumstances ? Franziska Borer-Winzenried, general directress of Rolex, Bienne wrote the "Beobachter" a dry note on ritzy paper with gold coinage: "Depending on pace and sensitivity, the monthly income can vary". Sure, could well be. But the law says something different. The employer must set a basic wage and a target time for the home worker - meaning an approximate time for the work. And: Home workers may not earn less than comparable employees working at the factory. In the case of Sandra K, this isn't true. What's even more offending is that - due to the fact that Sandra used to be unemployed and can't make ends meet with such a pay - she receives supplemental unemployment benefits. So Rolex is employing cheap labor at the expense of the state unemployment insurance. The union "SMUV" now wants to intervene. And general directress Borer-Winzenried writes that she will review the rates for home workers and "if required, adjust them appropriately". The requirement certainly seems to be here ...

Banned
    Thanks Bry.
    Now perhaps some will believe me that sending your repair back to the AD doesn't guarantee it's repair in-house.

Brendan

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    280 francs for 14 days of work
    Sandra K.'s optimism quickly faded. Rolex, for example, pays 6 francs (3.5 USD) for the "rouage" of 100 pieces of Calibre 5030.
    Slightly off topic but whats a calibre 5030? I've never heard of that and Google isn't showing much.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    Slightly off topic but whats a calibre 5030? I've never heard of that and Google isn't showing much.
    Ladies auto calibre 2030 possibly.

Brendan

Journeyman
    I hated working at factories in CH. Working from home at your own pace is ideal. And as you know we are always busy.

I suspected as much about the factory work.

I like to work at my own pace as well and you get some interesting watches in. I had a locally marked 100 year old pocket watch in recently with a Minerva 19/9CH mono-pusher chronograph inside and a personalized engraving from a company. I don't do many pocket watches so it made a change to work on a big old calibre.

Nothing new in the movement service, although it was very nicely built and ran very well after some adjustments, but I allowed myself to be sidetracked by the engraving, the case hallmarks and so on. Learnt something there about silver hallmarks, import companies as well as the local company that presented the watch so it made a nice diversion. You don't get that in a factory setting. My customer is really pleased to know these things so that's rewarding as well. OK, doesn't do much for the hourly rate but, that's okay.

Yes, every watchmaker I know has too much work...

Cheers, Chris

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
    I suspected as much about the factory work.

I like to work at my own pace as well and you get some interesting watches in. I had a locally marked 100 year old pocket watch in recently with a Minerva 19/9CH mono-pusher chronograph inside and a personalized engraving from a company. I don't do many pocket watches so it made a change to work on a big old calibre.

Nothing new in the movement service, although it was very nicely built and ran very well after some adjustments, but I allowed myself to be sidetracked by the engraving, the case hallmarks and so on. Learnt something there about silver hallmarks, import companies as well as the local company that presented the watch so it made a nice diversion. You don't get that in a factory setting. My customer is really pleased to know these things so that's rewarding as well. OK, doesn't do much for the hourly rate but, that's okay.

Yes, every watchmaker I know has too much work...

Cheers, Chris
    I visited Minerva on my way to Longines and passed the old Cortebert works which is now a chocolaterie.
    I had too an old pocket chronograph in a gun metal case.
    Guys at the works were really nice and we chatted for a while.
    This was when I had my first job in CH working for Waltham in Neuchatel and spent my time picking stuff up for them.
    Nearly every factory gave me their history book.
    Lots of work yes. I like it that way.

Brendan

Brendan did a service on my wifes watch and the service was great, very polite chap. Great communication, the watch came back looking great. He repaired some damage to the bracelet. I'd use him again.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Brendan has done brilliant work for me on multiple occasions and has been a complete pleasure to deal with.

He’s brought back two watches that were completely trashed by another watchmaker and a third which had been smashed against a marble floor.

I think its completely unfair for his character to be labelled as “aggresive” and allusions made to his temprament as if its a fact. This is merely someone else’s opinion and has no place being dragged into this thread.

Brendan is a great watchmaker and a great guy.