closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The thread in which we post photos of dirty watches.

The thread in which we post photos of dirty watches.

Not something like a G-Shock covered in fresh mud, but something that appears to have been worn by a tramp for 30 years.

Starter for 10, courtesy of some chap on WUS. Zoom in to the bottom left lug for the mass of dead skin holding the springbar in place. Marvel at the weird snowdrift-like detritus along the top endlink. I know there is worse out there, I've seen it on Sales Corner.

Craftsman
    Sweet mother of muck :-/

Just got a little bit of sick in my mouth

Master
    Looks like soap scum to me, still nasty though.

Got a nice pic of Seiko soup on my 6139 resto thread in mods n wreckers!

This was the worst I've received

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Not something like a G-Shock covered in fresh mud, but something that appears to have been worn by a tramp for 30 years.

Starter for 10, courtesy of some chap on WUS. Zoom in to the bottom left lug for the mass of dead skin holding the springbar in place. Marvel at the weird snowdrift-like detritus along the top endlink. I know there is worse out there, I've seen it on Sales Corner.

Paul, when i see a Watch like this it always reminds me of the day i commented on a guys 2254.50 he was wearing at a tournament casting competition i was in, in case you was wondering what that is, its where you cast on a court over grass with modified sea fishing gear for distance (sad eh?) anyway back to the story, after making a comment on his Watch and showing him my 2255.80 he proudly took it off to show me...well i couldn't believe what a horological lump of bacteria he placed in my hand, when i turned it over to look at the case back that was obviously no different to my own apart from mine being clean...the best way i could describe it was he had spread ready brek over back of the Watch, and the worse bit there was nowhere to wash my hands, pure minging at the highest level

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Matt68; 14th April 2018 at 00:41.

Master
    Thanks for that Matt! 🤢🤮

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Thanks for that Matt! 🤢🤮
    You wasn't having your ready brek or porridge when you read this I hope Adrian?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    You wasn't having your ready brek or porridge when you read this I hope Adrian?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    No. Weetabix!

I really do like a bit of wrist cheese on watches that I buy, something very satisfying about removing the funky gunky bracelet and dropping into a hot detergent ultrasonic bath and watching the crud just pop out from the links..

Same with the head, as long as it’s waterproof a good ultrasonic blast will see years of bacteria float out from under bezels and crowns, a good brushing with a soft toothbrush and then dry it all off with a nice microfiber ready for me to administer my own wrist cheese!!!

From this -

To this -

Last edited by murkeywaters; 14th April 2018 at 08:35.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I really do like a bit of wrist cheese on watches that I buy, something very satisfying about removing the funky gunky bracelet and dropping into a hot detergent ultrasonic bath and watching the crud just pop out from the links..
    Is that where your nickname comes from?

:)

Master

Same with the head, as long as it’s waterproof a good ultrasonic blast will see years of bacteria float out from under bezels and crowns, a good brushing with a soft toothbrush and then dry it all off with a nice microfiber ready for me to administer my own wrist cheese

To this -

That is a cool looking watch!

Craftsman
    Yeah, I love this design, too. Once these companies start releasing 1980s quartz reissues, I know now I'll be blowing all my money on them. If they put out this PRS for say 500 euros (which is more than my usual budget for a watch) I'd go out and buy it today.

Just needed a good clean

I really like that Tissot too. Obviously the after shot. The earlier OP 's photos were making me feel ill.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    I really like that Tissot too. Obviously the after shot. The earlier OP 's photos were making me feel ill.

Think he’d have a queue of us in SC!

I really do like a bit of wrist cheese on watches that I buy,
    You, sir, are a wrong'un.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Think he’d have a queue of us in SC!
    I think he might. Who of us were not on Google after seeing the Tissot looking out for one. Yes I'm guilty

Thanks for all the kind comments on the Tissot, it’s known as the PRS 516 F1 and there are not many of them around, I was lucky to rescue this one for £40 as it wasn’t working hence the furry battery, so was a bit of a punt which worked out well..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    I think he might. Who of us were not on Google after seeing the Tissot looking out for one. Yes I'm guilty

Would you buy a 30-plus-year-old quartz though? I'm a great believer in quartz myself, but I know from own experience what headache old ones can be to put right if something goes wrong. So I wish you chaps good luck with your purchases, but I'll be holding out for reissues myself. (Will limit the selection, too, thankfully ...)

Thanks for all the kind comments on the Tissot, it’s known as the PRS 516 F1 and there are not many of them around, I was lucky to rescue this one for £40 as it wasn’t working so was a bit of a punt which worked out well..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Recent SC events have it that it's still a £40 watch. Tell you what, I'll give you £50, that'll cover RMSD and there's no nasty profit to be made. Deal!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    Would you buy a 30-plus-year-old quartz though? I'm a great believer in quartz myself, but I know from own experience what headache old ones can be to put right if something goes wrong. So I wish you chaps good luck with your purchases, but I'll be holding out for reissues myself. (Will limit the selection, too, thankfully ...)
    Yes!

I’ve bought many and as long as the batteries haven’t leaked (badly) they’re tough.

You could be waiting forever for a re-issue and what’s the chances of them re-issuing one that looks the same. Also the movements of these early quartz watches are the appeal to me, new quartz watches are usually cheap disposable junk. So the 30 year old arguement is exactly why I’d rather have one than a new one.

Also, so what if it goes wrong? Let’s say you bought this old Tissot for £150 and after 6 months a part went wrong, chances are you’d be able to get a donor part anyway. But even if it was impossible to fix (unlikely with eBay) then you’d probably still get most of your money back for selling it spares. To be honest you could probably make more than you paid splitting it all up and selling parts if they are impossible to replace.

Or you buy the new Tissot re-issue. That costs you £500, you walk out the dealer and loose £200 straight away. I’d wager it’s also unlikely to be as robust after 40 years with (no doubt) plastic parts to advance the date etc.

Craftsman
    You make a good point, but if I bought that Tissot, it would be with the express intention of wearing it, and it would break my heart so to speak if it broke down, especially if it turned out that I had really bonded with it. It's very well that I could recoup most of my money selling it for spares, but for me, that's beside the point. So I'd prefer to get a new one with an uninspiring contemporary movement (though I also appreciate how solid early quartz stuff was) that I wouldn't have to worry about. And since I can't do any repairs myself, watchmaker bills could approach that Ł500 quickly if a watch I really liked developed a costly fault, and it would then make me worry it might happen again ... it's just not the route for me, though, again, I find your arguments perfectly solid.

This may just be my fantasy - I certainly really want it to happen -, but I believe that the way a lot of watch companies can sustain their volumes in the future will be increasingly through releasing what the population that still wore watches as a normal thing (I'm 38) had or coveted while they were young. Be it Casio or Tissot or TAG, I'm sure these guys could make good money by just repackaging their current movements in cases and bracelets which are faithful reproductions of their models from three/four decades ago. So I'm betting on that as I hold off on vintage quartz.

Master

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. The beauty of these old quartz watches is the movement can be serviced and repaired, I think maybe because I’ve serviced quite a few old quartz watches it gives me a better love and appreciation for them.

Guess if I bought one and was smitten I could buy a spare movement. Onto eBay, complete Watch with the same movement working for £43, get that and take the battery out and you’re sorted.

Master

Same with the head, as long as it’s waterproof a good ultrasonic blast will see years of bacteria float out from under bezels and crowns, a good brushing with a soft toothbrush and then dry it all off with a nice microfiber ready for me to administer my own wrist cheese!!!
    Ultrasonic's are great but sometimes you need to manually clean them beforehand -

Isn't that how all pre owned member watches should be sent out?. Lots of free... Stuff
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Ultrasonic's are great but sometimes you need to manually clean them beforehand

Looks like there needs to be some kind of danger surcharge on those watches!

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post

Just needed a good clean

Wth? The mind boggles :O

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Wth? The mind boggles :O
    Don't want to pay to have your watch serviced?

Just spray some WD40 in!

No WD40?

No problem! Just snap the tip off a biro and drip all the ink in!

Just spray some WD40 in!

No WD40?

Great servicing tips. Some people just through money away ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Dirty watches?

Has anyone seen the Ulysse Nardin Voyeur Erotic in action?!

Master

Talking

Just spray some WD40 in!

No WD40?

Ha! Don’t joke I did a service on an eta and the gent had put a ‘drip of 3 in 1 oil’ onto the balance wheel to help the Watch along!

When he’d messaged me to say I said it’d need immediate attention as the oil wicks everywhere and a lay-man’s drop is like a bucket load to the movement.

When he gave it to me it stank of petrol, he’d panicked about the drop of oil and actually taken the case back off and stood it over a tin of petrol on the AGA overnight!

When I stripped it even the dial was covered in an oily petrol mix! I saw the Watch the other day and it seems ok (actually stripped, cleaned, re-lumed and serviced it about 8 months ago maybe) so hopefully I saved it.

An old 6105 that looked to be in pretty bad shape,

was really pretty after it was thoroughly cleaned:

Master
    This is the mankiest thread i've ever seen on here... seriously minging.

You'd have to be a stinker to let your watch get that bad. You wouldn't constantly wear anything else for years without washing it, why are watched overlooked like this?

Master
    Encase people didn’t see my thread in M&W I mentioned.

Here’s a 6139 bracelet after a hand clean with toothbrush and fairy, put into clean water and into the ultrasonic cleaner this is what the water looked like!

Master
    And this was a fairly modern Seiko!

The white spots around the crown almost appeared to be something growing!

Last edited by jameswrx; 16th April 2018 at 12:00.

I’m wondering in what lake or pond all these watches are found in? Surely nothing gets that manky being worn or lost in a closet!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I’m wondering in what lake or pond all these watches are found in? Surely nothing gets that manky being worn or lost in a closet!
    Well, they might have actually been worn, rather than sitting in a safe and being polished by someone with OCD!!!

Craftsman

Posted in wrong place, sorry
    Last edited by Rich; 16th April 2018 at 22:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Not sure if this counts....Heresy I know.... forgive me I was young.. I do rather like the fact that there is no 11....as it’s a complete mystery as to where it has gone....magic
    Weird!! Perhaps it slipped in from a parallel universe where there are only 22 hours in a day!

Craftsman

Wrong thread
    Last edited by Rich; 16th April 2018 at 22:11.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Weird!! Perhaps it slipped in from a parallel universe where there are only 22 hours in a day!
    I now work 22/7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Taken after I removed the gunk to check the case engraving..