closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 4K monitors... any point for my application?

Master

4K monitors... any point for my application?

I’m in the middle of a complete office renovation and have decided to create a little area for editing videos. This will be mainly for YouTube reviews. So I’m debating on either an iMac or just hooking up my two-three year old MacBook Pro 13” to a monitor. The latter will save a fair amount of money and it won’t be used all the time anyway.

I’m at a corner desk so not masses of distance between me and the screen. Would 4K make any difference or would I be better with a high quality 1080p 24” monitor instead? The 4K ones all seem to be 28” which I can’t help but think sounds too large for the scenario I need?

Also, is curved any good or just a gimmick? I like how it looks but we avoided it in the lounge as it seemed unnecessary.

I’ve had that set up for years and have always found the Cinema Display more than ample. You certainly don’t need a curved screen Wayne (although need may be completely irrelevant ).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 14th April 2018 at 07:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I’ve had that set up for years and have always found the Cinema Display more than ample. You certainly don’t need a curved screen Wayne (although need may be completely irrelevant ).
    What size is yours? (Oo errr)

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    What size is yours? (Oo errr)
    27", Wayne. Perfect for any editing needs, so I wouldn't throw money at your solution unnecessarily (although the Apple monitors are obviously not cheap).

Sound is very good too, btw.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    27", Wayne. Perfect for any editing needs, so I wouldn't throw money at your solution unnecessarily (although the Apple monitors are obviously not cheap).

Sound is very good too, btw.
    Do you find your MacBook struggles any more than if you were just editing on the machine itself?

I use an 27" iMac in the office and 15inch Retina mbp at home. I prefer the flexibility of the MacBook as I can choose to work either at the desk, or sofa.

Retina is great on the smaller screens but I don't miss it on the big iMac.

Do you find your MacBook struggles any more than if you were just editing on the machine itself?
    No, not at all. There’s just more real estate to play with.

For what you want to do - I cannot see any advance at all.

I’m in the middle of a complete office renovation and have decided to create a little area for editing videos. This will be mainly for YouTube reviews. So I’m debating on either an iMac or just hooking up my two-three year old MacBook Pro 13” to a monitor. The latter will save a fair amount of money and it won’t be used all the time anyway.

I’m at a corner desk so not masses of distance between me and the screen. Would 4K make any difference or would I be better with a high quality 1080p 24” monitor instead? The 4K ones all seem to be 28” which I can’t help but think sounds too large for the scenario I need?

Also, is curved any good or just a gimmick? I like how it looks but we avoided it in the lounge as it seemed unnecessary.
    What software will you use? Your 13in graphics card will struggle with premiere, FCPX is faster but a 4gb card is a minimum for 4K, if you use an well specced iMac or MBP you can even edit without proxies and LUTs applied in FCPX without dropping frames.

Curved is a gimmick
    a screen that can do the dciP3 rec2020 colourspace or at least be easy to calibrate would be an advantage.
    If you can stretch to it then an Eizo CG or CS class is worth looking at.

Master
    The higher the resolution the more power the gfx card needs to have to drive it. A rule of thumb is that 1080p is the sweet spot for 24” then 1440p for 27”. Unless you are doing 4K video then you would not need a 4K monitor. It will give you more real estate but remember text will get a fair bit smaller. Curved monitors are not so good for areas where you need accurate lines such as photo editing.

I've been looking at the same problem. 4k seems to be of benefit above 32". I ended up with a 1440p 27" monitor which is a good upgrade from my 22" monitor. One of the issues with 4k seems to be the need for magnifying software when icons get small due to the resolution.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Master
    Great info, thanks! Looks like going down the high end 1080p route at 24” will suit me well then. I’ll avoid curved as that’s a very good point about photo editing.

Master
    With all due respect Wanne, you’re not exactly short of a bob or two – I’m sure you could relatively easily afford or justify a pre-owned iMac 27 i7 (which is best for video work, compared to the i5 and i3).
    Unless you’re doing 4K videos, then you don’t need the later iMacs with the 5K screen.

Here’s just one example, I’ll let you plunder through the rest of the listing to get other possible contenders – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iMa...-/183175699691