closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ideas for couple of nights stay in special hotel

Ideas for couple of nights stay in special hotel

coming up to my 50th in a couple of months and the Mrs wants to take me away for a couple of nights

ideally somewhere in the UK and not too far from the north west ...

never been to Gleneagles but it looks fabulous - however 4 hour drive is probably limit of how far we want to go & the activities (I don't play golf) such as off-roading, clay pigeon shooting and falconry are eye wateringly expensive.

Someone has mentioned Dormy House in the Cotswolds and Stableford Park. Le Manoir looks great as well but £1,100 per night including dinner seems mental !

anyone with fairly recent experience of similar hotels would be appreciated - looking to go to somewhere that bit special, more countryside than town, good food but not up tight service, and some activities such as above.

Edit - just to add that I want to avoid the Lake District - not because I am adverse to it - on the contrary we have regular use of a family bolt hole there so I have done Samling, Gilpin, Brimstone etc. Wanted to go somewhere new...
    Last edited by dandanthewatchman; 11th May 2018 at 12:50.

Journeyman
    L'Enclume in Cartmel is bloody lovely! Happy birthday in advance!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Stayed here and can recommend.

https://thegilpin.co.uk/

I’d recommend The Samling in the Lakes too.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Yep
    Much much nicer (IMO) than L'enclume and the Lakeside cottages /spa are fantastic.
    Food, again IMO is right up there with L'enclume too.

Master
    Hop on a train to London and go for
    https://www.41hotel.com
    My favourite place to be :)

Master
    Took my missus to Cowley Manor in the Cotswolds for her birthday last year. It's juts south of Cheltenham and a really nice place

http://www.cowleymanor.com/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Can't recommend Whatley Manor highly enough, stunning hotel, great grounds & stunning food, been going back once or twice a year for the last seven years, since I started courting Mrs Captain, just had a look at there new web site as we haven't been back since we got married there last year, it's over the stated budget but it's a treat for sure, if you don't stay and are in the area then dinner in the main restaurant is well worth it

http://www.whatleymanor.com/

Just remembered the spa, the mrs will love that, came top in the uk in conde nast if I recall correctly

Haven’t been for about 18 months but still hearing good things about Whatley and they have had a new executive chef in the last year so still great food.

thanks for all the ideas - keep them coming !

I should have said that I want to avoid the Lake District - not because I am adverse to it - on the contrary we have regular use of a family bolt hole there so I have done Samling, Gilpin, Brimstone etc. Wanted to go somewhere new...

I will edit my original post...

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    thanks for all the ideas - keep them coming !

I should have said that I want to avoid the Lake District - not because I am adverse to it - on the contrary we have regular use of a family bolt hole there so I have done Samling, Gilpin, Brimstone etc. Wanted to go somewhere new...

I will edit my original post...
    In that case....
    Two I did recently when down for the League Cup were The Rosewood in Holborn ( I know, I know, prefer country to city but hey, this is that there London place ) and The Grove in Watford which has a great spa and a couple of decent activities too.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    In that case....
    Two I did recently when down for the League Cup were The Rosewood in Holborn ( I know, I know, prefer country to city but hey, this is that there London place ) and The Grove in Watford which has a great spa and a couple of decent activities too.
    obviously us Citeh fans think alike - also been to The Grove and it is excellent. This trip has to be a chill out - Mrs's rules ....

If others are interested in the ideas on this thread I can recommend another Lake District place - Forest Side at Grasmere.

Yorebridge House in the Yorkshire dales might fit the bill, individually themed rooms and really good food (formal food but friendly service with no silly dress codes etc). Not a great deal around it though aside from a couple of village pubs, but good for walking and Wensleydale creamery isnt too far if you fancy a bit of cheese!

http://www.yorebridgehouse.co.uk/
    Last edited by Jonboy; 11th May 2018 at 13:18.

Master
    Dalhousie Castle near Edinburgh, hydro spa, all the treatments, 2star AA red rosette restaurant in the dungeon, and if you are feeling adventureous, a falconry centre on site.
    We are of again next month for the spa break with a 2.5 hour falconry experience one morning. Worth checking the site.
    https://www.dalhousiecastle.co.uk

The Inn at Whitewell is rather nice. Northish of Clitheroe. Burne Bros wine merchants in that town is worth a look, if you like wine..

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    The Inn at Whitewell is rather nice. Northish of Clitheroe. Burne Bros wine merchants in that town is worth a look, if you like wine..
    Coogan and Brydon visited here in The Trip, it looked very nice!

There’s loads of nice hotels in Bath

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    obviously us Citeh fans think alike - also been to The Grove and it is excellent. This trip has to be a chill out - Mrs's rules ....

If others are interested in the ideas on this thread I can recommend another Lake District place - Forest Side at Grasmere.
    Ha, agreed.
    Last time , after the final , we mistakenly took Aubameyang for the waiter . He wasn’t best pleased although laughed when we pointed out it would’ve been the most work he’d done all day .
    Inn at Whitewell has been mentioned and I’d also suggest Northcote Manor for exceptional food . There is very little to do there though .
    If you tell me you’ve been here as well , we might end up in the dual Forum ID thread 😂

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    ...The Grove in Watford...

I was on several residential courses there when it was British Rail's Management Training Centre.

I hope the walls can't talk; we had several riotous evenings involving much drink & rudery.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Yoredale is good, the Wensleydale heifer in west witton along the road serves better food. Slaley Hall is worth looking at, not to much of a fortune, not up itself much but book around the spa and pampering availability as you’ll have very little chance of walking in without doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    If you're not into golf then Gleneagles possibly a bit wasted though if you like nice food Andrew Fairlies restaurant has 2 Michelin stars and is outstanding.
    I know St Andrews is "The Home Of Golf" but if you go to "The Old Course Hotel" I doubt you would be disappointed.
    The town itself is very lively,tourists or students all year round and plenty of fantastic restaurants.
    You can let the Mrs enjoy the Spa stuff whilst you nip into The Jigger Inn and get a couple of drams.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I was on several residential courses there when it was British Rail's Management Training Centre.

I hope the walls can't talk; we had several riotous evenings involving much drink & rudery.
    There are several photos commemorating these evenings if you know where to look .
    Fortunately, most of the animals have their faces blurred to avoid embarrassment. To the animals of course .

Quote Originally Posted by martinupnorth View Post
    L'Enclume in Cartmel is bloody lovely! Happy birthday in advance!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Look no further than this. It's absolutely exquisite. They offer Dinner, Bread and Breakfast.

Or come south and go to Lucknam Park, food is great, rooms are beautiful and of course, a spa for your dear lady.

Edinburgh

http://www.chester-residence.com/
    Nicest hotel I have ever stayed in.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

I was looking at that a few weeks ago but couldn’t get on with their web site so put it on the back burner.

How about coming down to the smoke and booking in The Shard.

Craftsman
    The Hotel Portmeirion is a quirky choice but one that's amazing for a couple of nights - even when it's full you feel like the whole place is yours because you rarely see another person out of hours and are free to roam and pretend your Patrick MacGoohan. We've stayed a dozen times in the past 20 years and it's a special place. Food's also very good.

For a little futher away Seaham Hall is amazing. On the North East coast it has an excellent spa and only 11 or 12 rooms so has a very special feel.

In North Wales a gastronomic choice would be Tyddyn Llan near Corwen (not far from Bala). great walking a scenery nearby and the food is superb. Bentley use this a Press VIP drive venue.

Journeyman
    We had a fabulous weekend at Whatley Manor. It is highly recommended. Le Manoir is also very, very good indeed. We stayed for a special wedding anniversary and had a wonderful time. In both cases we were made to feel very special and they were great experiences. Wherever you choose to go, I hope you have a memorable time.

Craftsman
    Spitbank forts is a very different place to stay