closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What would you do?

Craftsman

What would you do?

Hi folks,

I'm genuinely interested to hear everyone's opinions on this.

I'm only really been serious about watches for about 6 months now so my collection is still very much in it's infancy. However, I've just looked at my watch box and realised that, since Christmas I've bought a total of 4 watches.

I reckon my total spend, including a variety of straps, comes to around £900 which really took me by surprise when I looked back as I didn't expect it to be as much as that.

As I say I have spent over about 6 months and this has coincided with a few good months at work so it's definitely not likely to be a regular occurrence but it got me thinking.

If you had say £1000 to spend, would you spend the whole lot on 1 watch or would spread the budget over a few lower value watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Guess everyone has their own preference, but I would like to have more than one watch to choose from - so it is a split for me.

Craftsman
    I prefer a little variety, so for me it would be a few different watches.

For that money buy a new Sinn 556i on bracelet and wear it all the time and for everything.

Master

Personal

I would answer this question differently on different days as sometimes I see loads of cheaper stuff especially Seiko I like which means I’d buy a few then I want a used Sinn 103 back so would get that?!?!
    Also depends where my collection is at the moment??
    For yourself I think you have done exactly what a true WIS who doesn’t realise he has a problem would do, that is keep buying watches as soon as they have money and straps without realising what they have spent! Most people that aren’t addicted to watches would buy one watch full stop whether it was £300 or £1000?!?

At least you have reached the stage of realisation in terms of your problem 🤣🤣👍🏻

Enjoy!
    Chris

There are loads in the few hundred pounds mark I would rather buy than getting one for a grand. I like a bit of variety in my collection even if it’s mostly divers, but like a bit of colour in there, but not every day.
    I personally just don’t see much that is appealing in the £1000 segment, get to £1500 and it gets better, but do what suits you and buy what you like rather than what others like, it’s your money.

I’d probably go for 2-3 ,steinhart,seiko,good quality for the money

Master
    Just my opinion, but I think you should have a G-Shock and a CWC G10 in your collection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    I would answer this question differently on different days as sometimes I see loads of cheaper stuff especially Seiko I like which means I’d buy a few then I want a used Sinn 103 back so would get that?!?!
    Also depends where my collection is at the moment??
    For yourself I think you have done exactly what a true WIS who doesn’t realise he has a problem would do, that is keep buying watches as soon as they have money and straps without realising what they have spent! Most people that aren’t addicted to watches would buy one watch full stop whether it was £300 or £1000?!?

At least you have reached the stage of realisation in terms of your problem 🤣🤣

Enjoy!
    Chris
    Realisation of the problem doesn't necessarily mean solving it though haha.

I absolutely agree with you though. I think I would answer the question differently now than 6 months ago now now that I have a few watches in the box.

I would go with variety, say 3, for example - dress, diver, and quartz beater.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

What would you do?

For £1000 I would buy an Oris Divers 65; I think they look superb.

It’s an automatic with date and timing bezel, could be worn casually or with a suit, has a range of manufacturer options from bracelet to tropic/fabric straps, and with a 20mm lug width has virtually limitless options outside of those.

It’s reasonably slim 40mm watch, which should fit most wrists.

I’ve never owned one, but have always liked the ones I’ve seen about. Indeed, I’ve only seen them in displays, so the relative rarity would also attract me.

Oris is also a ‘proper’ company in my view, with a warranty they’ll stand by etc. Better than some Kickstarter, especially for one’s only watch.

Here’s a new one for £1,070. I don’t know whether you could get a better deal by shopping about/asking for a discount/buying used.

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/01031...iABEgI5ZvD_BwE

Depends whether you're a collector or not. I'm not, I don't like to have loads of stuff. I prefer to have the best 'thing' I can afford and get the maximum use out of it.

For me that applies to bikes, cameras and watches.

I don’t think you would be happy now going from 4 down to just the one for a thousand.
    I would at some point move on 1 of the Seikos as they have virtually identical dials but take
    youre time deciding what else you would like to add, maybe a chronograph?
    And when you have a clearer picture see what you’re budget is by then.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    For £1000 I would buy an Oris Divers 65; I think they look superb.

It’s an automatic with date and timing bezel, could be worn casually or with a suit, has a range of manufacturer options from bracelet to tropic/fabric straps, and with a 20mm lug width has virtually limitless options outside of those.

It’s reasonably slim 40mm watch, which should fit most wrists.

I’ve never owned one, but have always liked the ones I’ve seen about. Indeed, I’ve only seen them in displays, so the relative rarity would also attract me.

Oris is also a ‘proper’ company in my view, with a warranty they’ll stand by etc. Better than some Kickstarter, especially for one’s only watch.

Here’s a new one for £1,070. I don’t know whether you could get a better deal by shopping about/asking for a discount/buying used.

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/01031...iABEgI5ZvD_BwE
    I'm a big fan of these and it's actually in my shortlist for the next watch.

Master
    I think you just need to experience the collecting thing and one watch thing.

I had many watches and ended up with one after ten years.

Also, I started with a watch of a few hundred. Then i bought one of 1000 and from there it got more and more expensive. Bottem line is. If you go for that one expensive watch, you might want one more expensive watch after that. It never ends...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Depends whether you're a collector or not. I'm not, I don't like to have loads of stuff. I prefer to have the best 'thing' I can afford and get the maximum use out of it.

For me that applies to bikes, cameras and watches.
    Normally I agree with this but with watches I find that it's not a one fits all item and a few different styles might be necessary.

That's my excuse anyway.

Journeyman
    Over time you'll spend more.

I have a collection that's taken me well over 15 years to put together. But really its just a bunch of watches that I've bought over that time, some cheap, some $$. They're all different and I like them all for different reasons.

Actually I have just spent the most I've ever spent on a watch, but it's been many years since I've bought one. Although I feel a bit guilty about the spend (can't really justify it when you have a draw full of perfectly good watches), I'll get over it (!)

I am more of OWG, so one expensive > many cheap ones.

Craftsman
    I’m not sure at £1k. Typically I’d say one better watch over numerous lesser watches but watches at £1k often aren’t so far ahead over some of the £300 ish watches.

Apprentice

What would you do?

I was in a similar situation not long ago. I ended up with one watch costing 2/3 of the kitty and then another costing the remaining 1/3. So two watches.

One I classed as a wear to work only watch, the other a weekend and at home watch.

Then a few months later I ended up with another watch. To replace my wear to work only watch as I became quite fond of the one I was currently using.

Just when you think you have it sorted. So now I have three, whilst debating on keeping a recent gift as a fourth too!

I don't think you'll stop at one either. I would spread the amount over 1 to 2 watches of which you'll wear regularly.

Last edited by monkeynuts; 13th May 2018 at 17:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Normally I agree with this but with watches I find that it's not a one fits all item and a few different styles might be necessary.

That's my excuse anyway.
    I understand that but there are some watches out there that can cover a lot of bases. For example the new black dial Oyster Perpetual, I can't think of many situations where that watch would be out of place.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    I think you just need to experience the collecting thing and one watch thing.

I had many watches and ended up with one after ten years.

Also, I started with a watch of a few hundred. Then i bought one of 1000 and from there it got more and more expensive. Bottem line is. If you go for that one expensive watch, you might want one more expensive watch after that. It never ends...
    I feel this may be the way I go but so far I'm just enjoying the initial exploring. If you don't mind me asking, what is the one and how did you settle on it?

In my view this really comes down to buying what you actually like. Why you like a watch may change over time but whether it costs £300 or £1000 should not be the defining factor.

Personally, with £1k I'd be looking for something like a Seamaster or an U1 - but there are lots of options around £1k
    It's just a matter of time...

For me I’d look at one mastercwatch and a cheap beater to add

£1000 would buy the Jupiter in SC
    Then a g shock maybe for outdoor stuff

All down to taste and choice

If I was you I would have one decent watch and wear it all the time. Nowadays I wear one of two, usually for months at a time a GMTc when travelling and the Hulk the rest of the time at home.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id go for 1.
    In that range probably a longines legend diver no date.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    I feel this may be the way I go but so far I'm just enjoying the initial exploring. If you don't mind me asking, what is the one and how did you settle on it?

My only watch is a 16610. At some point I had about ten watches of Rolex and IWC. I noticed I only wore the 16610. I thought it was crazy to have all those watches, which I never wore so I decided to sell them.

I did promise myself to buy one more dress watch in the future. But that can take a while. I might buy a gold Reverso.

Personally speaking, I think there is excellent value to be had, particularly in under-appreciated used models, at values up to £300-500, and then a bit of a value desert until you're into 4 figures. So I would say a few lower-end pieces.

The one obvious exception might be to cash in against a used GS quartz, which should be had for in and around £1k (okay, maybe stretch the budget a little) and would be pretty much untouchable at that price point.

I’d prefer one expensive instead of a few cheaper ones. Personally, I don't have a burning need to change watches every week. But it’s all up to you because I can wear one favourite t-shirt during all year and be satisfied lol)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Personally speaking, I think there is excellent value to be had, particularly in under-appreciated used models, at values up to £300-500, and then a bit of a value desert until you're into 4 figures. So I would say a few lower-end pieces.

The one obvious exception might be to cash in against a used GS quartz, which should be had for in and around £1k (okay, maybe stretch the budget a little) and would be pretty much untouchable at that price point.
    Agree on all points and, if you want to go down the used HAQ (e.g. GS quartz) route, you should certainly consider the Citizen Chronomaster range. These have the same finishing levels as GS (at a comparable price point) with better accuracy (in theory) and practicality (independently adjusted hour hand). For whatever reason, they never get the same love or attention as GS on this forum.

That said, for a thousand quid, I'd get 3 used mid-price watches.

Grand Master
    I enjoy owning several watches, since I started collecting in 1994 I've always owned a few. However, the cost of service/maintenance has to be considered and that's one reason I got into watch work several years ago. There's no way I`d own the number I do if I was paying to have them worked on.

When buying a watch it always makes sense to budget for getting it serviced and sorted out. If it's fairly new this doesn`t apply, but it definitely applies when buying cheaper older stuff. I always budgeted for servicing and a new strap, back in the mid-90s this didn't cost much but times have changed.

Sometimes the most expensive ones to own are the 'cheap and cheerful' purchases that don`t cost much initially. Add in the cost of getting the watch serviced and you can easily end up with far more money in it than you could ever get back.

My advice is to only buy what you really want. Many folks who are new to the game end up buying lots of watches and often they're not brilliant, they've been bought because they seemed cheap.

Only buy really nice examples and only buy what you think you'll keep. That probably doesn`t answer your question but it'll give you food for thought.

Paul

Figure out how often you wear each watch. Keep an eye on this as your collection grows in size and in value. You'll soon know what works for you.

Banned
    With 1k I'd buy one decent watch. Brand new you could get a Sinn 556, 556a, a number of Stowa models or Nomos Club handwound. Used, I'd look at a nearly new Oris, Nomos or Longines. I really don't buy into a different watch for different occasions.

Master
    I’ve been on a programme of continuous upgrading since buying my first Fortis at around that price. As others have said, only buy something you really want, and don’t keep if it if you don’t love it. But buy wisely and sell slowly and you may be able to gradually build a small collection that really works for you.

For myself, I’d be torn between:

A. Adding a little cash and getting an Omega Seamaster Quartz 2264 - the quartz models are cheaper than the autos - which is a great all round OneWatch. The quickset hour hand makes it good for travel, too.

B. Splitting between a diver and a chrono. I’d look for a Revue Thomsen Airspeed Titanium, of which I’ve had a few, both quartz and auto; then supplement with either a Seiko SRP777, or a CWC Diver, which are modern classics.

In any case, I’d buy used. In fact, all my watches were bought used, which saved me quite a lot.

Master
    Probably not what you want to hear,but enjoy what you have, save-up instead of buying more, then when the time is right buy a basic Rolex ...Explorer One, Oyster Perpetual, Datejust. Keep it for the rest of your life.
    Quality always beats quantity. And watches need wearing, not sitting in draws.

I agree with this (although not necessarily a Rolex). Quality over quantity.

it's a process that beginners tend to buy more than they need but then you'll hear "downsizing" ...."trimming" ...consolidating

I kinda regret for the 3 dozens Seiko I have and wish that I could have had only three to four