closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help please Paneristis - what model for a newbie

Craftsman

Help please Paneristis - what model for a newbie

I'm a newbie trying to find out info on the Panerai range but I'm overwhelmed and confused by the range

I think I prefer the Luminor range with the crown cover , beyond that a list of likes

I dont really want the date window

I dont mind hand-winding but auto is fine as well

I would prefer a seconds complication but if the case back is clear thats not required

I would prefer the sandwich style dial to the sausage one (I think those are the correct terms)

44mm polished case not pvd or ceramic

I have been put off the Pam 1000 base due to the movement is this fair?

Have no problem buying used and budget would £4k max

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I'm a newbie trying to find out info on the Panerai range but I'm overwhelmed and confused by the range

I think I prefer the Luminor range with the crown cover , beyond that a list of likes

I would prefer a seconds complication but if the case back is clear thats not required

I would prefer the sandwich style dial to the sausage one (I think those are the correct terms)

My first PAM and still my favourite is the 111 which fits your criteria and I think are nicer than the newer in-house movements. The above with the 8 day in house is the 510 (i think). Usually sausage/painted dial base watches maybe cheaper.

Not sure you will get either in your budget though, Panerais are a bit more expensive nowadays.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    PAM 590 would be my choice within those parameters, its a painted dial though. (neither sausage or sandwich)

Craftsman
    PAM 111 is a 40mm isnt it? Do love the dial so might try one anyhow

Cheers for the suggestions guys

PAM 111 is a 40mm isnt it? Do love the dial so might try one anyhow

Cheers for the suggestions guys
    No it isn't - 44mm

Older 560 and 510 I believe before R (?) series so around 2015 have sandwich dial, newer ones have sausage. I believe that would fit the bill perfectly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    No it isn't - 44mm
    Chrono24 doing me wrong :) https://www.chrono24.co.uk/panerai/l...-id7941435.htm

Thanks

Jup very, very wrong - 40mm is also on Oakleigh's site which is worrying, but I haven't done enough research on the seller to know their reputation. If it is genuine, then the price seems quite good, Panerai's clearly seem to have softened a bit with the newer range. But as I said before, I personally find the older much nicer than the newer in house range - feels more Panerai DNA.

Master
    I was the lucky winner of the forums charity raffle for a PAM243 and I absolutely love the thing. I think it ticks most of your boxes and can probably be picked up second hand for ~£4k

Edit - sorry missed the date comment. Scrub the 243! It’s still a beauty though 😀

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I was the lucky winner of the forums charity raffle for a PAM243 and I absolutely love the thing. I think it ticks most of your boxes and can probably be picked up second hand for ~£4k
    No the submersibles arent for me

As others have mentioned best best is the older Pam 111 (with seconds) or 112 (base no seconds) both have an ETA hand wound movement with a display back, polished case, sandwich dial and 44mm, only available second hand mind you but easily in your price range.

If you wanted a newer in-house movement the an earlier 510 or 560 are the ones to go (newer ones have painted dials). I have a 560 sandwich dial, display back and the ‘in house’ 8 day movement & I love it, contains all the Panerai DNA but slightly modern. Also my entry watch into Panerai. These can still be found on the secondary market within your budget & I paid £4K for mine last year from Watchfinder - still happy with it.

Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    No the submersibles arent for me
    Fair enough - good luck with the search!

Master
    Hello there

I have a 118, titanium with tobacco dial, my favourite combination for a Panerai, have you considered the titanium ones? Probably the one watch I would never part with

This has the second hand sub dial, but isn't a sandwich dial

Cheers

Kevin

I bought a PAM005 off SC a while back, was worried that i hadn’t even tried one one, any of them and i knew 44mm size was off putting to many.

I love it to bits, big watch but wears very well on my skinny wrist, very comfy. Pav made me a strap using reclaimed leather from a saddle, it’s a looker.

I was looking for a more classic base model, i did consider the new base models but Panerai seemed to have made them more cost effective for themselves e.g. press on case backs, spring bars, etc

I know strictly speaking the 005 isn’t base as it includes the second complication but it’s a great watch and i love the logo on it although i know others do not. It not for you as it’s applied and not sandwich but thought I’d share my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Help please Paneristis - what model for a newbie

Another one here for 590. Bit biased as I love mine. I didn’t pay much over £4K for mine new either.

Master
    111 for simplicity, flexibility and reliability. Ticks all your boxes and can easily be picked up on chrono24 or the like.

Wouldn’t rule out the Radiomir - you need to try some watches on to give yourself a proper idea.

Wouldn’t rule out the Radiomir - you need to try some watches on to give yourself a proper idea.

Have a look at a 390 - still regret not buying new when I had the chance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post

Would second that. Although 1mm larger the Radiomir wears smaller due to wire lugs, can often be a thinner watch than a Luminor and is equally distinctive.

Blog Entries

Why does everyone say “painted dial”?
    some might be painted but looking at pics of the new models it seems the dials are cut out and then filled with lume. That’s a lot more complex than just painting a dial and should also amount to great brightness.
    Last edited by yonsson; 11th June 2018 at 21:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    PAM 590 would be my choice within those parameters, its a painted dial though. (neither sausage or sandwich)
    This ^^^

I had one, great watch. Should never have sold it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Edit - sorry missed the date comment. Scrub the 243! It’s still a beauty though 

£4K for a 243, think you are under selling it, that’s if you can find one, great watch as you said.

I wouldn’t count out a submersible until you see a 243 in the flesh.

Master
    I would say 590 would be a good start, but agree with those who say to try a submersible before ruling one out. Looks great on the Velcro strap, leather or even the rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    Would second that. Although 1mm larger the Radiomir wears smaller due to wire lugs, can often be a thinner watch than a Luminor and is equally distinctive.
    I think he already did,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    What about the ultra clean pam560 ?
    Or the titanium version pam562 ?

PAM 112 base, all the Panerai-DNA you will ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    some might be painted but looking at pics of the new models it seems the dials are cut out and then filled with lume. That’s a lot more complex than just painting a dial and should also amount to great brightness.
    I thought the filled style was called the 'sausage' dial as that's what I have on my PAM590.
    But looking on the net it appears that 'painted' and 'sausage' are synonymous.
    Doesn't make sense to me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swatch View Post
    I thought the filled style was called the 'sausage' dial as that's what I have on my PAM590.
    But looking on the net it appears that 'painted' and 'sausage' are synonymous.
    Doesn't make sense to me!
    Not to me either. Sausage should be puffy, 560 and 590 are not puffy, they are filled. :)

Not to me either. Sausage should be puffy, 560 and 590 are not puffy, they are filled. :)
    I don't think this is entirely correct and depends on the model. On the basic models of the new range the dials are certainly painted. Maybe certain versions have the sandwich filled but it is the exception as far as I can tell, not the rule.

Blog Entries
    I don't think this is entirely correct and depends on the model. On the basic models of the new range the dials are certainly painted. Maybe certain versions have the sandwich filled but it is the exception as far as I can tell, not the rule.
    Exception? Which do you consider to be basic new models? 560 and 590? Both seem to have filled indices.

Exception? Which do you consider to be basic new models? 560 and 590? Both seem to have filled indices.
    Consensus seems to be these are painted and not sandwich dials with filled indices. The 560 series initially started with sandwich and switched to painted dials - I don't see hard proof to say definitely they are filled indices though so it is worth being careful in how we say it.

Either way - i don't think it is inferior, depends on what look you like. I prefer sandwich.

Edit to add - if you do have more info on it being filled, it would be appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Consensus seems to be these are painted and not sandwich dials with filled indices. The 560 series initially started with sandwich and switched to painted dials - I don't see hard proof to say definitely they are filled indices though so it is worth being careful in how we say it.

Either way - i don't think it is inferior, depends on what look you like. I prefer sandwich.

Edit to add - if you do have more info on it being filled, it would be appreciated!

There are a lot of internet truth out there that’s wrong.
    Above is a pic of the new dial version of the 560. Clearly not painted lume on a flat dial. It’s a stamped filled dial. Probably not stamped all the way through but clearly filled.

There are a lot of internet truth out there that’s wrong.
    Above is a pic of the new dial version of the 560. Clearly not painted lume on a flat dial. It’s a stamped filled dial. Probably not stamped all the way through but clearly filled.
    I would certainly say stamped dials as opposed to sandwich. Not sure they require more skill though.

As I said before - it gives a different look and personally do not feel this enhances the look from the sandwich. The switch on the 560 still puzzles me

Blog Entries
    I would certainly say stamped dials as opposed to sandwich. Not sure they require more skill though.

As I said before - it gives a different look and personally do not feel this enhances the look from the sandwich. The switch on the 560 still puzzles me
    I’m not saying it’s sandwich, I’m saying it’s “filled”. :)
    I also thought the swap was strange when I found out but I’ve been looking at A LOT of Pam pics since I’m hunting for one right now. I’m kind of starting to like the filled dial more, it seems to be more
    low key.

Quote Originally Posted by liggy View Post
    Have a look at a 390 - still regret not buying new when I had the chance.
    I was torn between this and the 560 before I bought my 1st. The gold hands are lovely on the 390 & it looks more impressive in the flesh than pictures.

In the end the newer ‘8 day in house movement’ won for me & sandwich dial for my 560.

I now wish they made a 42 or 44mm 372. That would be a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’m not saying it’s sandwich, I’m saying it’s “filled”. :)
    I also thought the swap was strange when I found out but I’ve been looking at A LOT of Pam pics since I’m hunting for one right now. I’m kind of starting to like the filled dial more, it seems to be more
    low key.
    I've gone through a fair few PAMS (though no vintage) and apart from the subs they've always been sandwich. Just found the dials more interesting. Funnily for subs the painted dials are much nicer.

Panerais are best done simple, especially for a first one. I'm also a firm believer the simpler ones are better. I am also not a fan of vintage/faux lume - YMMV on this but it's an absolute no go for me.

I've never been a huge fan of the 47mm models - too big most of the time. Though the subs like the 305 wear better than the 1950 cases I find. Speaking of subs, I think they're the best executed out of the newer Panerais. Otherwise I'd go older.

My first Panerai was 111 - which I still have. The other Panerai I still have is the 190 - gold hands are lovely!

Good luck hunting!

Blog Entries
    I've gone through a fair few PAMS (though no vintage) and apart from the subs they've always been sandwich. Just found the dials more interesting. Funnily for subs the painted dials are much nicer.

Panerais are best done simple, especially for a first one. I'm also a firm believer the simpler ones are better. I am also not a fan of vintage/faux lume - YMMV on this but it's an absolute no go for me.

I've never been a huge fan of the 47mm models - too big most of the time. Though the subs like the 305 wear better than the 1950 cases I find. Speaking of subs, I think they're the best executed out of the newer Panerais. Otherwise I'd go older.

My first Panerai was 111 - which I still have. The other Panerai I still have is the 190 - gold hands are lovely!

Good luck hunting!
    Good input, thanks!
    I will hopefully have my first PAM on Friday, I’ll post some pics here after it has arrived.

Blog Entries

My first PAM arrived today, a PAM560. And like I said, lume-filled dial, NOT simply a painted dial. ;)

^^^^hahaha, congrats ;)