closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living with a Speedmaster Professional

Master

Living with a Speedmaster Professional

Having got the Submariner obsession out of my head (it was sold anyway) I am thinking of saving for a Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch, rather than financing a Sub.
    Can I ask Speedmaster owners ; do you wear it as a daily wearer or for special occasions?
    Does the acrylic crystal make you feel you need to baby it (ditto the bezel)?
    Most of all, what's it like to live with?
    Thanks,
    J

It's like every other watch. Had one for 8 years, tough as nails. Would happy to own again, very versatile watch, goes with anything.

Don't worry about crystal, it does pick small scratches, but you can polish them out with polywatch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepCWCDeskDiver View Post
    Having got the Submariner obsession out of my head (it was sold anyway) I am thinking of saving for a Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch, rather than financing a Sub.
    Can I ask Speedmaster owners ; do you wear it as a daily wearer or for special occasions?
    Does the acrylic crystal make you feel you need to baby it (ditto the bezel)?
    Most of all, what's it like to live with?
    Thanks,
    J
    I love mine and wear it most days.

The thing to do is to get into a habit with winding; same time every morning for me while getting ready for work.

Acrylic crystal is lovely and warm and so far scratch free for me. If it does get scuffed then some polywatch will sort it with no fuss.

Go for it, it's a great watch to own.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    For about 18 months it was my only watch and I wore it 24/7 - all day, all night, in the shower, etc. It was great and I never had any problems. Think I’ve polished the hesalite twice using polywatch but that was more just to try it out, as I’ve never had major scratches. But I do work a desk job and don’t play any sports etc so it had quite an easy 18 months. Then I bought a Submariner Date and I wear the speedy much less, but I still love it. Speedy downsides for me were lack of date (though obviously that made the dial cleaner) and the low water resistance - though my watch never leaked, I did worry a bit that it might.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.d View Post
    For about 18 months it was my only watch and I wore it 24/7 - all day, all night, in the shower, etc. It was great and I never had any problems. Think I’ve polished the hesalite twice using polywatch but that was more just to try it out, as I’ve never had major scratches. But I do work a desk job and don’t play any sports etc so it had quite an easy 18 months. Then I bought a Submariner Date and I wear the speedy much less, but I still love it. Speedy downsides for me were lack of date (though obviously that made the dial cleaner) and the low water resistance - though my watch never leaked, I did worry a bit that it might.
    Ah, yes. The no date thing.

That's the only thing I struggle a little with as even after 2 years ownership, I still keep on checking for it on the watch!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I keep mine for special occasions but mainly because it was a 40th present. I would wear it daily but as mentioned I prefer a date for day to day use and like to keep it in top notch condition.

Craftsman
    Happy to ride the bike, swim, bash round an unfamiliar city in my Seamaster Pro. Don’t feel the same about my Speedmaster Pro. Just feels ‘too nice’. No doubt it’s a tough watch though. In 21st century developed world you’ll not have a problem.

Mine gets more wrist time than my Sub now. Such a legible watch, and the chrono function I find more useful than the Sub bezel. It also looks superb on just about any strap.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    Happy to ride the bike, swim, bash round an unfamiliar city in my Seamaster Pro. Don’t feel the same about my Speedmaster Pro. Just feels ‘too nice’. No doubt it’s a tough watch though. In 21st century developed world you’ll not have a problem.
    It felt too nice for me also. That's the reason I sold it. I had full intention to wear it everyday but felt I was constantly babying it.
    I think if I was I a better financial situation I may have stuck it out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

i wear my 69 Speedy most weeks, its a watch , it can be repaired. The only reason its not 24/7 is I have to many other watches I love.

Playing devils advocate I found mine awkward to wind/set, hard to size due to no clasp adjustment and a bit disappointing on the wrist

All personal opinion but a let down after my high expectations

Journeyman
    Great watch for daily wear, not as delicate as you might think. Don't worry about helsalite crystal, it can be polished and is cheap to replace if anything.
    Speedmaster is an icon for a reason, you will enjoy every minute of ownership.

Given that it passed the rigorous tests to be flight certified by NASA, I'd expect it to stand up to most things daily life on earth could throw at it.

Plus, it's a great looking watch.

Master
    Having looked at the Submariner and now the Speedmaster Professional you are obviously looking for a well reviewed Iconic timepiece.

If you are genuinely attracted to the Speedmaster looks and not just it's reputation I would say go for it, I would have no hesitation wearing mine on a daily basis, but like others I have other Watches in my collection I need to share the love with.

With regards to it's robustness mine is still looking good after 16 months wear in a small collection of Watches, I've worn it for work, fishing, gardening and the tube of polywatch I bough when I got the Watch remains unopened.

Go for it!

Matt

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Buy wisely and it is hard to lose (much!) money on a Speedmaster.

So no reason not to try one.

I love mine.

Master
    Absolutely. Just don’t forget it needs winding and I would keep it away from water.

The date thing is something I can live with.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies so far. The lack of date won't bother me. I have a 2254 SMP and I'm looking for a watch that will complement it yet be different, so a diver & a chrono kind of work together. I like the legibility of the Speedy & the way it looks good with smart or casual wear, that's important for a potential daily wearer.
    Dailly winding would become a habit I think, i had a manual Seiko years ago.
    I think the Speedmaster & SMP would be a good pairing.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies so far. The lack of date won't bother me. I have a 2254 SMP and I'm looking for a watch that will complement it yet be different, so a diver & a chrono kind of work together. I like the legibility of the Speedy & the way it looks good with smart or casual wear, that's important for a potential daily wearer.
    I own both the Seamaster and Speedmaster and indeed they are a great pairing.

Master
    Matt68
    The Sub was a moment of madness, it was right there in front of me, no waiting list or anything. I would have had to finance it though & right now that isn't really practical. The Speedmaster butters many parsnips in that it's less costly than a Sub, has an interesting history, is reliable, attractive and readily available. I can save for one & be sure that it will be available when I'm ready. Even if there's a price increase it'll still be good value & realistic sum to save for.

The Speedmaster also looks great on a really wide range of straps.
    J

Master
    Matt68
    The Sub was a moment of madness, it was right there in front of me, no waiting list or anything. I would have had to finance it though & right now that isn't really practical. The Speedmaster butters many parsnips in that it's less costly than a Sub, has an interesting history, is reliable, attractive and readily available. I can save for one & be sure that it will be available when I'm ready. Even if there's a price increase it'll still be good value & realistic sum to save for.
    Sounds a good plan

I know what you mean about the Rolex, certainly out of reach for a lot of people these days.

Matt

Master
    I wear my Speedy most days. It’s the most versatile watch I have. Goes with absolutely anything and looks great with absolutely anything.

Hesalite crystal is nothing to worry about. As well as being historically true to the original, i also worry about it less than my sapphire watches. If you do get any scratches, a bit of polywatch and it’s like new again.

I admit the lack of date is my only minor niggle but it’s not an issue really as I can also look at my phone if I forget the date, and then that only tends to be once a day If it does happen.

I’d recommend a Speedy to anyone!

We seem to have similar taste. My main 3 watch rotation is the 2254 a sub and the Speedmaster. The Speedmaster is a great everyday wearer. Mine gets plenty of time. I love the variety it offers with straps. Mine is regularly changed between the Omega NATO, and a wide range of leather straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living with a Speedmaster Professional

The Speedy is a classic, and every WIS should own one at some point. I hardly wear mine though, as I find myself reaching for my Aerospace, Explorer II or B&R Demineur most days. It is an incredibly photogenic watch, looks great off the wrist, but not so great on mine. I find it “oversized”, odd as it’s lug to lug is much the same as my Sub and Explorer II, and it’s smaller than my Aerospace.

I wouldn’t worry about the Hesalite crystal at all. As with all these things, trying it on is a must.

Dave

Edit: The smaller FOIS is an intriguing alternative

Last edited by helidoc; 28th July 2018 at 22:38.

Like Montybaber I’ll add a bit of a counterpoint to the general consensus...

I had and sold a limited edition Speedmaster Pro Gemini 4... I loved:
    * The historical significance
    * The looks
    * The rarity
    * The hesalite warmth

However, I was less keen on the size (for clarification - I felt it wore too small). I also thought it was fiddly to wind as the crown is not terribly accessible. In the final analysis I didn’t feel it was special enough to keep and was slightly underwhelming, and sold it without regrets to fund a Breitling Navitimer World - a decision I have never regretted.

I’m glad I’ve owned one (it truly is an important part of the WIS journey, I think), but I will not buy another.

Simon

Master
    Not enough pictures here:

I really don't think they are remotely fragile, don't let the fact the crystal is plastic fool you, once they all were on sports watches. Here are 2 of mine both from the 1960s and both saw daily wear by active owners without signifiant issues. I am sure you will agree that both are in pretty good nick considering. The DON bezels are over 50 years old (well one is a month off 50 to be honest).

Last edited by Padders; 28th July 2018 at 23:19.

Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    i wear my 69 Speedy most weeks, its a watch , it can be repaired. The only reason its not 24/7 is I have to many other watches I love.
    Pretty much me and my '67 Speedy. I wear it on one of Eddie's NATOs and love it.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    @Padders,
    They are both lovely pieces.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    In the final analysis I didn’t feel it was special enough to keep and was slightly underwhelming, and sold it without regrets to fund a Breitling Navitimer World - a decision I have never regretted.
    Speedy was my first proper watch and daily wearer for a year. It’s very elegant but subtle which I liked.

Since I bought my navitimer I have to admit the speedy hasn’t made it out of the box as much. To me a date is actually important, but I also find the navitimer more aesthetically interesting, and more accurate (both on timekeeping and little things like when the minute hand jumps on the chrono function).

I think a blessing and a curse of the speedy is it’s such an iconic watch at a relatively affordable price (vs a sub etc) and so it’s an easy go to if you’re undecided. Just don’t fall for all the marketing twaddle - it’s very cool, but you have to actually love the watch too.

Apprentice
    The Speedy was the first proper watch I bought and have absolutely no regrets.

I use it as a daily wearer on a leather strap with a deployant clasp. The hesalite crystal does get the odd scratch but as previously mentioned these polish out quite easily. Also the hesalite crystal gives a warmth and character to the watch which the sapphire versions don't have.

The lack of date doesn't bother me and I think the dial looks a lot cleaner without the date.

One of my favourite aspects of the watch is that it is able to fly under the radar and is quite understated. The only comments I generally get about the watch are from fellow watch fans.

Given the history, wearability, and character of the watch, I think the Speedy Pro is great value!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I’ve tried FOIS on and really liked it. I’ve got a few friends with the regular moon watch so if I picked one up I’d like something a little bit different.

If it can stand the rigours of space travel I guess it can cope with Maidstone.

I've not worn it on the bracelet, but the watch is imo more suited on a strap.

screen shot windows 7

Master
    Hi there
    I’ve got two Speedies a -71 (lucky to pick one up cheap) and a Tin Tin. The -71 has been worn jogging , gardening I just avoid water. The bezel is ghosted so it’s now rotated just to keep it the right side of Wabiness. The Tin Tin quite frankly is as tough really as my Seamaster. It’s just the Seamaster has a lockable crown.
    One thing I’d always say about a Speedie is when your staring at it up close , it’s interesting but it is just a watch. However look at one when you see it on another persons wrist from 6ft away . It really is the most fantastic warch. The light pings of the polished sides. The hesalite softens the light and you can see the perfect technical layout of the dial. I think imho only a breguet 20 comes close . If you sacrifice Lume to go for a trit markers you also get the gentle creamy fade.
    Go get one at the right price

Master
    Waiting for the Wife to get her lazy ass out of bed so I can get a Wetherspoons Brecky down me, will give her till 9 lol

Have you got that Speedy yet?

Master
    Sorry Matt started it !
    Obvious opportunity for pictures

Master
    @Morningwood, the dark side of Maidstone can be an interesting place...
    @Matt68,not yet, I have to save for it but there are a couple of things coming up soon that will speed(master) the process.
    A previous poster said "You've got to love the watch ', or to quote Public Enemy" D-D-Don't believe the hype". I think the history & appearance are what catch your attention initially & then other factors such as brand, reputation & price come in.
    Obviously owning a Speedy won't make me an astronaut, any more than my CWC makes me a Fleet Clearance Diver, but the history is undoubtedly part of the appeal.
    Also, I identify with Omega, my grandparents had Omegas, my mother has one (dad's got my old Seiko Kinetic, one of the early ones), my sister has one & I've got one. I don't have the same feeling about, say, Rolex. I think they're good watches & can't quite shake the nagging feeling that if you are "serious" about watches (whatever that means) you "ought" to have one, but they don't reach out to me, don't inspire me, like certain Omegas do.
    Overall, I think a Speedmaster & a 2254 will cover all that I require, work well, look good & be nice to live with. Others have agreed so it's nice to see I'm not alone. I would be buying it to use, rather than as an investment & I think I'll be happy with the decision later on certainly 10 years with the 2254 have been good & I reckon the Speedmaster will fit right in.

Master
    OP your thinking and rationale is bang on.

I've owned many over the years, at times worn around the clock, on and off bracelet/leather.

I sold them all off leaving my collection as just a Sub-LV, Yacht-Master and SD. A while later a great deal on a new Speedy came up, on one of the latest Pros with screw linked bracelet, and I went for it. I was so excited, but I found that the watch no longer did it for me. The things that no longer ticked boxes:

It felt light weight.
    The daily winding is a pain.
    The lack of water resistance meant that on bracelet it wasn't a do it all watch.

Now, I highlight that this was just for me. Seems I had moved on and it just wasn't special enough.

They are a great watch, classic, historic, look cool but restrained, super on a strap, you'll always be able to move it on, I think it will compliment your SMP perfectly.

Craftsman
    I am a massive fan of the Speedmaster. I have a Pro, which I will never sell. I never bother polishing scratches out of the hesalite - life is too short and they don't stop me telling the time! The handwinding is a lovely daily ritual and the lack of date keeps everything beautifully symmetrical.

I also have one of the Moonphase ones with the METAS movement. The Moonphase gives it the 3-6-9 layout that I love and the blue dial with the red writing makes it a little different.

For me most watches are a disappointment compared to my Speedmasters, especially the Pro. Perfect watch, for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I wore a Speedy as my only watch for 7 years until it stopped working, whilst I really enjoyed the watch I did find the manual wind a pain. It sat in a drawer for 3 years whilst my 2254 and Sinn 104 have been worn in rotation. Finally, got round to sending the watch to Joe at Anglesy Watches for a service. Just had a call from him to say that he received the watch and despite his work backlogs decided to take a quick look. Turns out that the escapement was jammed and has been fixed and is now running and keeping very good time. Joe doesn't think it needs serviced so should be receiving the Speedy back in the next week or so - can't wait to get it back on my wrist.

Journeyman
    Looking at the pictures posted on this thread it would appear that a good number of you wear your SMP on a strap rather than the bracelet. I wore mine 100% of the time on the SS bracelet but may well look for a leather strap when mine comes back. Any recommendations?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougieb View Post
    Looking at the pictures posted on this thread it would appear that a good number of you wear your SMP on a strap rather than the bracelet. I wore mine 100% of the time on the SS bracelet but may well look for a leather strap when mine comes back. Any recommendations?
    There are quite a few popular brands like Di-modell and Hirsch, but I wear mine mainly on Pavstraps, he's a member here and you can't beat the quality for the price imo

Master
    @dougieb, my 2254 is mostly on the bracelet but has been on a tan leather Hirsch with white stitching. I've got a MN & I wonder what it would look like on that...

Have more expensive and "better" watches on paper, but Speedy will always be my badass watch. It's like 911. It has and will always look cool.
    You can walk in to any GTG with Pateks and vintage Subs with your new Moonwatch and everyone will get it. Handwinding it's not for everyone. I love it. It's my morning ritual alongside my favorite cup of coffee. It's one of the reasons I love watches in the first place.
    Oh and I love that you can transform it from this

to this...

and to this (and save 6K on that last one BTW )

Craftsman
    I bought mine unseen and at a great price and at the time I couldn’t be happier. It’s destined to be worn on different straps and can be dressed up or down as appropriate.

After a while though I did feel a bit differently about it. I think it’s too big, I don’t like the way it looks on the bracelet (which still has all the stickers on in the box) and I wish I’d have bought the broad arrow version.

But given that it’s what I was wearing when my son was born, I can’t sell it now! If I’d have been wearing something else that day, it’d probably be sold by now.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    @DeepCWCDeskDiver I've worn my 2254 on the bracelet pretty much 95% of the time with the other 5% being natos, which it really suits. The 2254 is slightly more practical as an every day watch than the SMP, however, the SMP has more charm and history. Nono's pictures above really make me realise that I've missed wearing mine and really looking forward to getting it running again and back on the wrist. The SMP is the one watch I would never sell as it was an engagement present from my wife. Definitely, going to take a closer look at those Pavestraps.

Master
    To me it’s best best watch bang for buck that money can buy. It’s genuinely timeless, it’s decades old and still looks fresh !

Looks tremendous on every type of strap and the domed hesalite looks brilliant from every angle. ( scratches to the hesalite are no problem quick 2 min buff and it’s brand new ).

People panic over the water resistance too but I swam, showered etc in mine for 2 years and no problems at all !

I was always worried about it only being 50m water proof, which in the end was the reason I sold it. ( which sounds ridiculous for a watch that’s been to the moon & back)
    I used to like the ritual of winding every morning & am a fan of acrylic crystals. Wore mine mostly on a NATO rather than the bracelet..... I still miss it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a seriously good watch.

I bought and tried a lot of Speedmasters in the past, but really had a problem with watches under 100m WR - I’ve got over that now and have a couple of Speedmaster Professionals now. While neither is a daily wearer, I’d happily wear one anywhere I wasn’t going to be heading in water.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Just a seriously good watch.

I bought and tried a lot of Speedmasters in the past, but really had a problem with watches under 100m WR - I’ve got over that now and have a couple of Speedmaster Professionals now. While neither is a daily wearer, I’d happily wear one anywhere I wasn’t going to be heading in water.
    Your not by any chance Patrick Duffy?

I love mine, yes the manual wind is a bit fiddly with the smallish crown, but it soon becomes a morning routine.
    It is an absolute strap whore and looks phenomenal on anything which again just encourages you to pick it up, swap it out and wear it.
    If the lack of date is really an issue I know some people (my son-in-law for one) use the chrono hand to indicate the date by just moving it on one second per day which becomes apart of the daily routine as well.
    The layout is really legible and the time at a glance is easy.
    It is available from grey dealers (iconic) for under £3K or AD's on 4 years 0% credit for less than £70 a month. So (relatively), easily attainable.
    And don't forget the latest version comes with the biggest blooming watch box you'll ever see, it's pure theatre and wonderful.