closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PayPal questions

PayPal questions

Evening all, looking for some advice regarding PayPal.
    Just purchased something of eBay for £700, from a seller who has 100% feedback with almost 1000 ratings, he has messaged me saying the funds are on hold to him till the 19th August and doesn't seem like he's going to post till then and tbh I would not post either until funds are in my account, I've spoken to PayPal and they say it's the seller who needs to speak to them although he says he has spoken to them and there is no change in the timeline.

So it looks like I've paid £700 for something I'm now not going to receive until 3 weeks time?

Anyone know anything about this?

Cheers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 29th July 2018 at 17:42.

The seller will know why pp are holding on to the money.

I think I would be asking for a refund, as he has failed to deliver

Only bought it this afternoon from him tbh, bought it because I needed it for this week.

Master
    I've just had the same thing over £100. God knows why it happened, but the seller wasn't willing to wait for funds to clear so he just refunded me.

Annoyingly I can't even leave a negative feedback as he cancelled the transaction.

At first I thought he wanted to get out of the deal because it was such a good price. Just never had this issue before so new to me...

Master
    Get him to ask, or even look at his paypal account, ( if you click on the part where it says funds on hold, it will tell him ), to see why the funds are on hold, it could be a simple check that paypal sometimes do on accounts, they put funds on hold to make sure all is 100%.
    Either way both parties are covered as long as the item is sent to the paypal verified address.
    If the seller is not prepared to give you a reason why this is happening then simply ask for a refund, or cancel the transaction through the auction site.
    What is the seller actually saying.

Craftsman
    Did the money get paid as a eCheque? That’s normally the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will get your phone when they release the funds. My account is in good standing, always has been, as is my eBay.*
    Apparently, they have now said "if there are no issues between buyer and seller, it automatically releases the funds" But it will be a couple of weeks. I don't understand why they can't manually do it. When I asked, they said "the buyer is 100% protected with the eBay Money Back Guarantee and Paypal Protection". Makes no sense to me.

That's the last message I got from him?

No just normal payment tbh.

They informed me it is random holds, part of their anti-fraud programme. I've never had it happen to me before either.

That's the message coming back now when I asked what is says exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    You will get your phone when they release the funds. My account is in good standing, always has been, as is my eBay.*
    Apparently, they have now said "if there are no issues between buyer and seller, it automatically releases the funds" But it will be a couple of weeks. I don't understand why they can't manually do it. When I asked, they said "the buyer is 100% protected with the eBay Money Back Guarantee and Paypal Protection". Makes no sense to me.

That's the last message I got from him?

No just normal payment tbh.

If he spoke to me like that I would instantly cancel for non delivery

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I've had this sort of thing happen to me as both buyer and seller before. It's irritating but there is nothing you can do except either wait or cancel the transaction.

I'm not waiting two weeks or possibly till the 19th August, I'll give them another day then speak to them on the phone and if there is no movement just cancel...

Quick thought, do PayPal gain interest on all the money they hold between transactions???

Craftsman
    That seems odd, the seller should post the item. Him getting the funds from PayPal is his issue not yours.

Regarding anti fraud a colleague of mine had his PayPal account frozen for 4 months due to the amount going through his account. They could see that he was just withdrawing winnings from a betting site, who also confirmed this to them. nonetheless they wouldn't remove the hold until the 4months finished.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

This happened to me a month or so ago. I was informed it was a random security check by PP.

Although quoted a few weeks the funds were released within 24 hours if i remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    This happened to me a month or so ago. I was informed it was a random security check by PP.

Although quoted a few weeks the funds were released within 24 hours if i remember correctly.
    Well I hope that's the case in this one, been using eBay since 2000 and first time it's ever happened?

Occasionally Paypal randomly put holds on peoples accounts. It can be for any number of reasons (risky sale item, higher value sale than their usual, or even just a random check).

He should send the item immediately as the sooner he adds tracking to the system and it shows as signed for and delivered then the faster Paypal release the funds. If he calls Paypal they will tell him this also. I suggest a polite message to him saying the above and that his Ebay contract means he should post immediately as it’s Paypal holding the money not you. If he refuses then just cancel for refund.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    That seems odd, the seller should post the item. Him getting the funds from PayPal is his issue not yours.

Regarding anti fraud a colleague of mine had his PayPal account frozen for 4 months due to the amount going through his account. They could see that he was just withdrawing winnings from a betting site, who also confirmed this to them. nonetheless they wouldn't remove the hold until the 4months finished.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I said to him about PayPal having the funds and he just needs to prove tracking which with RMSD is the way to go. I got a response back about this happening in the past where he was asked to send first then the buyer said the signature on the tracking was not theirs and they never received the item and then he said he was out of pocket?

Find that hard to believe as he would of had a signature on the tracking to the verified address?

Pi$$ him right off and get your money back. I'm sure there will be others down the line.

Well he's just refunded me so that's sorted then, deffo wanna try and leave neg feedback but I know it won't be possible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

Had this as well a few weeks back.

I bought four items from the same Ebay seller in a 2 month period. Funds were released within 48 hours to the seller.

Not sure what to make of all that, eBay lost their sale and PayPal just lost their fees due to this issue.

He's said I'm getting refund as PayPal have now frozen his account, yet he's managed to refund me?

Back to the search...

Well he's just refunded me so that's sorted then, deffo wanna try and leave neg feedback but I know it won't be possible.

Why would you leave negative feedback for a seller if it was PayPal which blocked the payment?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I don't believe him, when I spoke to eBay they said it will be a simple post and once tracking says received then they release funds, PayPal agent said it would be the same without speaking to him directly.

I also don't believe the story about him being screwed over even thought he provided a tracking service on another deal.
    Just my opinion of the facts going of him, eBay and PayPal...

Craftsman
    4 out of my last 5 sales on eBay the funds have been put on hold in my PayPal account. PayPal said it's part of some agreement that permits eBay to make requests for funds to be put on hold. So I contacted eBay and they also said it's in the terms of agreement and the solution is simple just add tracking number to shipment and funds will be released within a couple of days after item is received. They advised if the funds are not released after delivery to just contact them and they will process it.

In each case when my funds were put on hold I was given an approximate release date of about 3 weeks. I got it released around 3 days after delivery confirmed. It's a little unnerving though waiting on the funds knowing your watch is in someone else's hands.

At no point did I ever consider not shipping the watches, it's not the buyers fault.

Appreciate all the advice in the thread as in all the years I've used eBay I've never had that happen to me before?

PayPal questions

It happens all the time. Refund given. Definitely not worthy of ruining his feedback imho . If he lived anywhere near you you could always do a f2f

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    It happens all the time. Refund given. Definitely not worthy of ruining his feedback imho . If he lived anywhere near you you could always do a f2f
    Suppose, just don't believe his stories and I think it could of been resolved easily enough as per eBay and PayPal advice...

Moving on...

Suppose, just don't believe his stories and I think it could of been resolved easily enough as per eBay and PayPal advice...

Moving on...

I believe him purely because the same thing happened to me, just randomly out of the blue a sale I made had the cash held for 4 weeks by Paypal. I sent the watch out and I got paid (eventually) but it wasn’t a nice experience as the seller. That’s all.

Master
    As many people, including myself, have said, paypal do this as well as ebay, my partner has a few hundred quid on hold in her account, but all the items have been sent to the buyers, it's just paypal/ebay checking the account, once they're happy then funds get released, no big issue.
    He definitely should have posted the item though, after all that's why you use paypal, for the payment protection.
    I wouldn't leave negative feedback though, it could all be genuine, and you would then ruin their feedback score, ( you can't remove feedback once entered ).