closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Omega experts in the house?

Master

Any Omega experts in the house?

Long story but yesterday I acquired this Omega which I reckon has been sat in a drawer for at least 20 years

As you can see the crystal is damaged and there are no visible markings on the caseback, opening it up reveals what I believe to be a 613 movement?

I don’t believe the bracelet is original but am happy to be proved wrong, the thing seems to be ticking away quite happily and the movement seems to look clean considering how long it’s been in storage for!

Any info on this would be appreciated, model number/age/potential value etc.

Thanks in anticipation
    Jimmy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bracelet is definitely not original.
    Nice looking watch, maybe £3-400?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Model number is on the case back. About 1974 ish I would guess

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsays View Post
    Model number is on the case back. About 1974 ish I would guess
    Thank you, would you say the serial number is the one engraved on the movement near the crown?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Bracelet is definitely not original.
    Nice looking watch, maybe £3-400?
    That’s the rough figure I had in my head 👍

As already mentioned above, model number is on the caseback, it is 136.0049.
    The actual serial number is on the movement. Serial starting with 34 indicates production in 1972.
    The movement is Omega Calibre 613, a very nice manual wind movement with indirectly driven sweep second, quickset date and an excentric regulator.
    Nice find, the dial looks in very nice condition.

Craftsman
    As you say, the movement looks very clean. The fact that it is working is a good sign but it would certainly benefit from a service if you intend to use it. With any luck no movement parts will need replacing so a "clean and lube" should have it running well for a good few years yet. A replacement crystal will only be a few pounds (more if you opt for genuine Omega) but with that and a new strap it should look great. I'm a big fan of the stainless Omegas from this sort of era.

We need the long story.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Here is the Omega Vintage Database page for that model. Not a lot of info though.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...omega-136-0049

My estimate of value is a bit more modest based on selling similar models. Maybe £300 when serviced with a new crystal, £150-£200 as a rough runner like that. Link suggests it came on leather originally.

Ranfft page for the movement, which is basically a manual wind version of the 550 family auto Calibre which is pretty well regarded in Omega circles:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Omega_613
    Last edited by Padders; 3rd June 2018 at 10:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    We need the long story.
    I’m still not 100% sure of the story myself but will reveal all later!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Here is the Omega Vintage Database page for that model. Not a lot of info though.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...omega-136-0049

My estimate of value is a bit more modest based on selling similar models. Maybe £300 when serviced with a new crystal, £150-£200 as a rough runner like that. Link suggests it came on leather originally.

Ranfft page for the movement, which is basically a manual wind version of the 550 family auto Calibre which is pretty well regarded in Omega circles:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Omega_613
    Thank you for the useful links, appreciate it

Master
    Thread resurrection time!
    The watch now looks like this
    (Tapatalk seems to be having issues, will try photo again later)
    Anyway, the watch has now had a full service, case clean and new genuine Omega crystal, plus new gaskets etc, I’ve acquired a brand new Genuine Omega Leather strap and to make up for the lack of paper work I’ve ordered an extract from the Archives from Omega which should be arriving soon.
    I’m also hoping to find a period correct box for it.
    With the above in mind what would those more in the know about vintage Omega place the value at now?

I had fully intended to palm this off straight away but the more I look at it the more it grows on me which I wasn’t expecting, old Seikos are usually more my cup of tea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I don’t see the attraction of trying to find a box that isn’t original to the watch; likewise I don’t see the point in buying a ‘ genuine Omega’ strap! Wrong way to spend money IMO.

Careful refinishing of the case to get it looking sharp, service the movement and fit a new mainspring, fit a new Omega crown and a generic glass. Buy an Omega buckle and put it on a good quality generic strap of your choice.

That’s what I would’ve done if I was restoring this to sell or keep.

I like the watch, it would make a great everyday wearer provided it’s waterproof.......which it should be if sorted properly. A properly adjusted cal 600 can keep time to within a couple of seconds/day, winding twice/day helps.

Paul

Many people do see the attraction in finding a period-correct box for a watch.

Many people do see the point in buying a genuine OEM strap. What’s more they are of the opinion that it’s a jolly good way to spend money.

Come on Paul, you’re a bright man. Bright enough to embrace the quite natural fact that we all enjoy this hobby in different ways.

Yes, absolute logic and reason do have their place, but the whims of collectors and enthusiasts are often driven by a less-than-rational emotional connection.

It might not be (and absolutely doesn’t have to be) justifiable by logic alone, but guess what: that’s ok!

Master
    Thank you for the replies ^^^ I appreciate your input.
    You’ll notice though that I have written that I ‘acquired’ the watch in the op, same goes for the strap in my last post. At the moment the watch only owes me the cost of servicing and the extract from the archives from Omega 😉

Grand Master
    I’m a keen collector, but I’m also a pragmatist. Given the cost of restoration, and the limited market value of a watch like this, it makes sense to spend money wisely when sorting it out. It makes more sense to pay for the case refinishing correctly than to buy an old box that’s not orginal to the watch in my opinion, a good refinishing job and a replacement crown ( to make the watch waterproof again) is money well spent but a box isn’t.

I have a similar watch in my projects drawer, not one of my better buys, I’ll restore it to sell but it’ll strugle to wipe it’s face by the time I’ve finished spending on parts etc. That’s without frivolous spending on a box!

I have some excellent vintage Omegas in my collection but I’d never dream of buying period boxes for them, it simply doesn’t add anything. Getting the watch itself into the best condition is paramount, that applies whether I’m sorting a watch for myself or fixing one up to sell. It’s all about the watch, not the periferals.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 1st August 2018 at 23:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’m a keen collector, but I’m also a pragmatist. Given the cost of restoration, and the limited market value of a watch like this, it makes sense to spend money wisely when sorting it out. It makes more sense to pay for the case refinishing correctly than to buy an old box that’s not orginal to the watch in my opinion, a good refinishing job and a replacement crown ( to make the watch waterproof again) is money well spent but a box isn’t.

I have a similar watch in my projects drawer, not one of my better buys, I’ll restore it to sell but it’ll strugle to wipe it’s face by the time I’ve finished spending on parts etc. That’s without frivolous spending on a box!

I have some excellent vintage Omegas in my collection but I’d never dream of buying period boxes for them, it simply doesn’t add anything. Getting the watch itself into the best condition is paramount, that applies whether I’m sorting a watch for myself or fixing one up to sell. It’s all about the watch, not the periferals.

Paul
    Thank you again for your input.
    A case of different strokes for different folks I suppose, I personally like to have the correct box for a watch, not so easy when most of your collection is vintage Seiko, I can’t explain why but it’s a source of eternal frustration that I don’t have boxes for most of them, they will only sit sealed inside a bigger box in the attic anyway 🙈

With the Omega, I’ve seen boxes go for anywhere between £20-£50 on eBay so I reckon I can still get myself a box and should I decide to sell (I think it might be a bit small for me) I should get all of my money back and maybe a bit more.

Also, I think having a nice box might make the whole package more tempting to potential buyers, in a few years it would make a nice birth year watch for someone turning 50 for example.
    Jimmy

Master
    This reminds me very much of my time when I found this forum. I bought an Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000 at Fellows Auction, it was dead on arrival and fairly beat up.

I received a mixture of advice regarding where to send it for repair / refurbishment. One Member suggested that it wasn’t worth repairing and I should consign it to the bin.

Anyway it went to STS who did a fabulous job on it. It’s now one of my favourite watches, the 1120 movement is one of the most accurate I have, it often draws comments from people other WIS etc.

Originally I had thought about selling it on but I probably had more in it than it was worth - approx £575 it owed me all things considered. So I might’ve got my money back. I decided to keep it as I started to enjoy it.

That turned out to be a good decision. The Bracelet was an 1171 dated 1975. I added a pair of 633 end links - perfect for a Speedy Tuesday....

So for my Cosmic 2000,which now lives on an unbranded leather strap, yes I would love to have the original box and ideally the papers. I’m glad I spent the money at STS and it had genuine Omega parts (crystal) fitted. Would I do it again? Absolutely, I’ve no intention of selling it on and it’s one of my favourite watches.

For the OP : If it’s to sell on there must be a list of priorities that exist and these determine the viability of making a profit (or not making a loss). If it’s for keeping then fitting genuine parts and obtaining as many period correct items that would’ve come with it are definitely the right way to go. In ten years time I doubt it’s going to be worth less than it is now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post

For the OP : If it’s to sell on there must be a list of priorities that exist and these determine the viability of making a profit (or not making a loss). If it’s for keeping then fitting genuine parts and obtaining as many period correct items that would’ve come with it are definitely the right way to go. In ten years time I doubt it’s going to be worth less than it is now.
    I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there.
    I really need to wear it I suppose to determine if it’s a keeper or not.
    If I decide to sell I’m confident I’ll get my money back and If I can make enough for a bottle of plonk and a take away on top I’ll be happy.

If I decide to keep I’ll probably continue to try and make it as full a set as possible, it doesn’t owe me much money so don’t mind spending a bit extra if it becomes a keeper.

Jimmy

Grand Master
    Refinishing the case would transform this watch, it's a bit like comparing a photo that's out of focus to one that's pin-sharp. The contrast between grained and polished surfaces should be sharp, and the edges would have far more definition................but what do I know, I`ve only spent much of the last few years doing this work.

I`m a great believer in doing what it takes to get a watch looking as it was originally intended to look. However, owing to the prevalence of poorly refinished watches on the market in recent years this has almost become frowned upon, which is a shame.