closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More bike related stuff

Hybrid View

While not new, I thought the Newchurch Bonnie in blue looked lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    While not new, I thought the Newchurch Bonnie in blue looked lovely
    It does look nice, but I think I'd want to go for the 2016-onwards bike.

Ignore me... just adding the Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon to the list. Gorgeous, seemingly very rideable and a seat height of just 770mm. An airhead too :)

So...

Larger engines - all stunning bikes and seemingly not too large or demanding:

Ducati Scrambler Icon
    Triumph Street Twin
    Yamaha MT-07
    Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon

Smaller engines:

Honda CMX500 Rebel (a nice low seat due to the semi-bobber styling)
    Honda CB500X (a genuine all-purpose bike)
    Honda CB500R (very rideable, and the benchmark in this class)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 13th August 2018 at 16:20.

Have you dismissed the R9T?

If you're considering modern retros then it is worth a look. Will be easier to service and get parts for than a Moto Guzzi.

Various iterations are available:

I personally think the Urban GS is better looking than any of the bikes on your list so far.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

If you're considering modern retros then it is worth a look. Will be easier to service and get parts for than a Moto Guzzi.

I personally think the Urban GS is better looking than any of the bikes on your list so far.
    I agree that it's a beautiful bike. However, a 1200cc engine really is over the top for what I want and was originally after, it's relatively large/heavy and the seating position is less upright than those on my shortlist.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I agree that it's a beautiful bike. However, a 1200cc engine really is over the top for what I want and was originally after, it's relatively large/heavy and the seating position is less upright than those on my shortlist.
    Fair enough.

The GS weighs 20kg more than the Street Twin and with the low seat spec the height is 820mm. The straight R9T low seat is 795mm and the R9T Scrambler low seat is 790mm. As it's a boxer the centre of gravity is pretty low, making it realtively easy to handle around the garage.

Appreciate that you want to get your feet on the ground (as I do) but the GS certainly has an upright riding position given that it is intended to be ridden on and off road.

As others have commented, 1200cc is bigger than your spec but if you take the power delivery into account (low down torque) then it will be within your capabilities to handle. The S1000RR is 998cc for example, but has almost double the power of the R9T unit. I'm not suggesting you get a superbike, but it illustrates the point nicely.

You'll get bored with a 500cc bike pretty quickly - the DAS bikes you'll have learnt on will have more grunt.

Keep an open mind and have a look around.

When do you get started with lessons?

Fair enough.

The GS weighs 20kg more than the Street Twin and with the low seat spec the height is 820mm. The straight R9T low seat is 795mm and the R9T Scrambler low seat is 790mm. As it's a boxer the centre of gravity is pretty low, making it realtively easy to handle around the garage.

Appreciate that you want to get your feet on the ground (as I do) but the GS certainly has an upright riding position given that it is intended to be ridden on and off road.

As others have commented, 1200cc is bigger than your spec but if you take the power delivery into account (low down torque) then it will be within your capabilities to handle. The S1000RR is 998cc for example, but has almost double the power of the R9T unit. I'm not suggesting you get a superbike, but it illustrates the point nicely.

You'll get bored with a 500cc bike pretty quickly - the DAS bikes you'll have learnt on will have more grunt.

Keep an open mind and have a look around.

When do you get started with lessons?
    Fair enough, John, and I take your point with regard to seat height (my inside leg is 30.5", by the way, so I do need to be careful in that regard).

I have my CBT tomorrow, and will then go straight into my theory tests. After that, my intention is to book a week of training to follow straight on, followed by the Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests. If I were to pass everything first time (which obviously remains to be seen), I'm hoping that it will be done and dusted within a month. I did ride for quite a few years when I was much younger, albeit nothing larger than a 250. I'm hoping that'll be a bit of a foundation now, as I won't have the nervousness of a complete novice.

Hahahahaaa....banana splits tyres on an urban machine?
    Roland Sands must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Hahahahaaa....banana splits tyres on an urban machine?
    Roland Sands must be laughing all the way to the bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    That r9t with those tyres is just the job for scrambling up the pavements out side Starbucks.

Low seats = virtually zero comfort after 200 miles.
    Brown seats = white socks with Oxfords.
    We get it, you don't like R9's!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    We get it, you don't like R9's!
    Well yes, actually I do like them (tubed tyres excepted) honestly!
    But they're now so inherently linked with the use of the words 'art' or 'lifestyle', brown seats, beards, banana splits tyres, de rigeur tattoos, angle grinder sparks and exhaust wrap that I can no longer take them seriously.
    The R1200R is a better bike in every respect...price included.

I’d agree the R9T variants are better looking than most, but it’s also double the price of some. There is a Guzzi Stone on the GS forum with v low miles for around £6k. How much is an R9.

It all comes down to use. The R9T’s may have a longer life in growth as a rider, if it’s about progressing - but it’s wholly possible most of the choices are going to be absolutely fine for day to day commuting and fun use.

Id also look at the Kawasaki Z900RS, which looks like a very nice option for old school looks, with modern electrics and a decent size tank.

For a bit of balance, I enjoyed taking the 125 to work today :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Thanks Scott. Not quite as drool-inducing as the others, and a much higher seat as well.

Your comments regarding both price and future need were spot on, by the way.

I’m used to both high and low seats having adventure and sports bikes, but it does make a difference. The old man gave up riding his GS last year (and bought a R1200r LC) as it was getting a little more difficult with his short legs, around 30 inch inseam. But then he is also in his 70’s and still bloody quick!

A bike should be fun first and foremost imo, so just make sure you like the looks, you are comfortable on it, and you are confident handling it around a garage/car park on foot and on the road riding it.

There aren’t that many bad choices if you stick to the established brands - I could have fun on almost any bike :)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’d agree the R9T variants are better looking than most, but it’s also double the price of some. There is a Guzzi Stone on the GS forum with v low miles for around £6k. How much is an R9.

It all comes down to use. The R9T’s may have a longer life in growth as a rider, if it’s about progressing - but it’s wholly possible most of the choices are going to be absolutely fine for day to day commuting and fun use.

Id also look at the Kawasaki Z900RS, which looks like a very nice option for old school looks, with modern electrics and a decent size tank.

For a bit of balance, I enjoyed taking the 125 to work today :)
    You can pick a used one up for circa £8.5k. There's an extensive BMW dealer network to back them up too. Is that the same for MG?

I think until Tony actually sits on a bike then this is just a fun speculative exercise as to what might suit his requirements. At the moment all he can go on are aesthetics and specs, but they are not going to mean much once he's settled on something he really wants, and then inevitably the tentative budget will go out of the window. As someone who was in his position 4-5 months ago I can pretty much guarantee that will happen. Look at the loosening of the original requirement for a 300cc bike!

Who knows what the choice would be...

If I didn’t own any bike I’d be looking for around 100-150bhp, but that’s just me and I like to ride quickly on unrestricted roads when possible.

If the R9T was quicker I’d consider one (in fact as an additional bike, I’d love one) - it looks better than my old mans R1200R, but it’s slower. I’d honestly like a 130bhp version of it, and their is no real reason you couldn’t have one, as my 2006 R1200S is putting out that figure with full exhaust and remap with with essentially an older tech bmw twin engine.

Obviously an MX-5 is the right choice, but there are so many really good, and fun, option bikes to choice from.

Bizzarely I have more fun riding a R1200GS around as quickly as possible than I’ve ever had on a sports bike in over 30+ years riding around the TT course. I still wish it had another 30-40bhp though ;)