closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More bike related stuff

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    There is no question in my mind that the Ducati is the better looking bike, probably rides a lot better too, and the fittings are probably higher quality. That’s said as we have a Triumph triple in the garage, and a couple of friends have the Ducati Scramblers.

I would guess servicing costs of the Ducati would be higher, but I’m not sure there is going to be much difference in overall running costs.

For that style of bike, I’d buy the BMW - just much better finished with a much more flexible engine - plus loads of aftermarket options to customise to your heart content - and doing your own servicing (maybe with the exception of the ABS) is a fairly simply process for someone able to change a watch strap or size a bracelet ;)
    Actually, Scott, most of the reviews I’ve read or watch suggest that the fittings on the Triumph are superb, and that the ride is probably the better of the two. Given that it barks back the bikes my friends road when I was a yoof there’s an emotional attachment two.

That said, they’re both beautiful and neither could possibly be a mistake. That said, I’ll have another look at the BMW options.

Edit: Looked again. There's no way I'm gong straight onto a 1200cc bike (and doubt I ever will), and I don't like them as much anyway.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 15th August 2018 at 19:20.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Actually, Scott, most of the reviews I’ve read or watch suggest that the fittings on the Triumph are superb, and that the ride is probably the better of the two. Given that it barks back the bikes my friends road when I was a yoof there’s an emotional attachment two.

That said, they’re both beautiful and neither could possibly be a mistake. That said, I’ll have another look at the BMW options.

Edit: Looked again. There's no way I'm gong straight onto a 1200cc bike (and doubt I ever will), and I don't like them as much anyway.
    ;)

The BMW is an acquired taste - the engine is my favourite power delivery for a non-sports bike.

Most Triumphs I’ve seen have cheap parts, such as the bolts, levers, circlips etc. Not an issue if the bike is keep in a garage and dried off after rides, but ours has suffered from the elements. I’m sure the cheaper bikes you had originally looked at would have faired no better though in comparison. The BMW would come with better suspension, span adjustable levers, and better finishing kit as standard. That pushes the RRP up a fair bit though, and all those things can be changed fairly easily - it’s just the time/hassle.

I like the older look. If money was no object I’d be buying a Norton before looking at the Triumph - but probably 2.5 - 3 times the price for a similar age modern bike.

The Triumph is a heavier bike, probably a good 30+ kilos more than the Ducati. The Ducati is too softly suspended for a lot of riders, and maybe a few of the fatter jurnos in testing ;) But, it has upside down from forks, and a single rear shocker - so any adjustments/update should be more beneficial. Triumph are a little cheeky as their blurb about their bikes is still dry weights, with no fluids anywhere and I believe without the battery.

The Ducati does look a lot more modern, as that the styling they have gone for. The Triumph is a hark back to the good ole days, and they have done it well, albeit there isn’t too much that modern about the twin bikes, accept thankfully the electronics!
    It's just a matter of time...

Tony, just take lots out for a play and see which ones you prefer wheelieing the most

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Fair enough if you don’t like the styling of the BMW. There’s not much that will convince you if you don’t get a certain excitement just looking at the bike.

You are being daft though when you say 1200cc is too big to start with. Some of the metrics have been quoted to you before, but exactly why is 1200cc too much/too big?

Taken on its own the cc ignores the BHP and torque figures, which will ultimately determine the rideability.

I won’t reiterate my point about one litre sports bikes, but consider something like the Harley Iron 1200 or Sportster: 1200cc bike with roughly 60BHP. Lower seat height than anything else on your list (an early prerequisite until you sat on a DAS bike) and less powerful than the 650cc DAS bikes you’ll be learning on.

The point I’m making is don’t get hung up on numbers per se, otherwise you’ll end up with a narrow list of bikes you’re just looking for validation for from a watch forum. A single-make forum might actually provide some insight into either a Triumph or Scrambler as a first bike after DAS, if you’ve managed to be so rigid in your requirements before actually sitting on either.

Better to keep an open mind, although I accept you won’t be persuaded of the merits of the R9T.

You can take my Honda C90 for a run Mr T! It’s got sports exhaust & uprated tyres.. ;0)
    Last edited by Snoodles; 16th August 2018 at 05:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    You can take my Honda C90 for a run Mr T! It’s got sports exhaust & updated tyres.. ;0)
    One of the greatest bikes ever made.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    85 million plus sales can’t be wrong

+1 went pillion on the back of dad on one of these, good times.

& new model out v soon

Well, my theory test is now booked for 5/9, which annoyingly was the earliest date I could book; and I've subscribed to the online learning zone to get plenty of revision and practice in (I really don't want to fail the hazard test - the multiple choice questions seem pretty easy). I've also booked four consecutive days with the training school, commencing on 18/9. At the moment, the intention is to do three days training, and then take MOD1 on the fourth day.

Tomorrow I have a free day, so I'm off to the Triumph dealer in Hemel Hempstead to have a close up look at the Street Twin, and have a sit on it properly. Hopefully I can do similarly with regard to the Scrambler next week.

Exciting times.

It’s more exciting than buying watches ;)

Also, thankfully a rarer event or I’d be well and truly bankrupt