Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Edit: Looked again. There's no way I'm gong straight onto a 1200cc bike (and doubt I ever will), and I don't like them as much anyway.
Fair enough if you don’t like the styling of the BMW. There’s not much that will convince you if you don’t get a certain excitement just looking at the bike.

You are being daft though when you say 1200cc is too big to start with. Some of the metrics have been quoted to you before, but exactly why is 1200cc too much/too big?

Taken on its own the cc ignores the BHP and torque figures, which will ultimately determine the rideability.

I won’t reiterate my point about one litre sports bikes, but consider something like the Harley Iron 1200 or Sportster: 1200cc bike with roughly 60BHP. Lower seat height than anything else on your list (an early prerequisite until you sat on a DAS bike) and less powerful than the 650cc DAS bikes you’ll be learning on.

The point I’m making is don’t get hung up on numbers per se, otherwise you’ll end up with a narrow list of bikes you’re just looking for validation for from a watch forum. A single-make forum might actually provide some insight into either a Triumph or Scrambler as a first bike after DAS, if you’ve managed to be so rigid in your requirements before actually sitting on either.

Better to keep an open mind, although I accept you won’t be persuaded of the merits of the R9T.