I did my learning and test on a Yamaha XJ6 and was not a big fan – it just wasn't comfortable enough. Then I got hands on the the riding school's MT-07, and I loved it. However, it was a tad too rowdy at the lower end, and it just didn't feel like the best choice for me as my first big bike.

I passed my test and bought a CB500F, and it was a fun, reliable, and safe bike the year I had it – really a great first bike. Then the time came for a change, and I seriously considered the CB500X. It's a really cool, very comfortable, reliable, and fun bike. But something else had caught my eye – the CMX500 Rebel.

As soon as I laid eyes on it I just knew that I wanted to try it, and as soon as I did I knew I had to have it. I've had mine for just over a month, and it's a fantastic bike. Supremely comfortable, which I didn't think it would be, surprisingly fun and nimble, and a great bike for the price and engine size. It puts a smile on my face every day, and I can't recommend it enough.

Yeah, there are more exciting, powerful, cooler bikes, but the Rebel shouldn't be ignore if that's the style and riding style you think you're after.