closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Google Pixelbook - opinions

Google Pixelbook - opinions

The base level configuration is currently on offer at what appears to be a reasonably generous discount, presumably in part to capitalise on the back to school/college market. Having been previously impressed with an earlier Samsung Chromebook, I'm seriously considering picking one up.

https://store.google.com/config/google_pixelbook

Are there any users/owners on here who can offer their views and experiences?

Master
    Chromebooks are cool devices if you can live with / understand the limitations. That said, I simply can't fathom why, especially the PixelBooks, cost so much!

Journeyman
    I love mine. Got it via a previous deal and it's everything I hoped it would be. If you've owned a Chromebook before you know the ecosystem and whether it's right for you. Build quality is excellent and it's tech specs really enhance the operating system and create a superb piece of kit.

Or wait until early October as Google are expected to announce some new models within the Pixelbook line up.

Thanks for that Andy. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Out of interest do you, or indeed anyone else, have/use the pen?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have the Chromebook Pixel II (from 2015) and if the Pixelbook is anywhere near as well built it will be incredible.

Not really sure why I need an i7 with 16Gb of RAM to run a browser, though.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Not really sure why I need an i7 with 16Gb of RAM to run a browser, though.
    So you can also run linux in a container, perhaps?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...nux_chrome_os/

Can you not run a VM on it already?

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Can you not run a VM on it already?
    I haven't tried it myself but I believe so, though not without a certain amount of poking around in developer mode.

However where Google seems to be heading is to allow the deployment of other operating systems, and more importantly the applications which run on them, on chrome hardware in an officially supported manner. This could possibly include Windows 10 as well if The Verge has it right - https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/13/1...pport-campfire

Prefer to use Linux or Windows 7 myself. However with the touchscreen it may be decent.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Thanks for that Andy. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Out of interest do you, or indeed anyone else, have/use the pen?
    Not really. But that's undoubtedly because what I use my Pixelbook for doesn't really require any pen input to make the experience easier or better. For some using the right apps it may be useful. I got mine out of curiosity and because it was also on offer. My use of the pen may change in the future as Chrome evolves.