closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best daily Ani/digital offering?

Best daily Ani/digital offering?

Looking for an Ani/digital watch pref Breitling or Omega but after owners opinion.

I really like the B50 case/bezel design but it’s such a big Watch where as the Aerospace is more my size but IMO looks a little dated now!

Still haven’t tried or handled the Omega X-33 but do like the looks!

Just want something I can grab from the safe and wear to the park with the kids etc.

Blog Entries
    I do own the Aerospace and X33. It really depends how complicated (=fun) you want.

Form factors are different. X33 multiple functions operated through multiple pushers - Aerospace simpler less digital functions all operated by the (rather small) crown - can be fiddly (IMHO).

Personally I tend to grab the X33 at the moment - with the pull of the crown it can be put to sleep (no alarms go off hands go to 12:00 and digital display blanks and the watch hibernates to save power) in the watch box, but springs back to life with no re-setting when the crown is pushed back in. Very easy to operate even with gloves on as it has 4 pushers plus the crown - which is another pusher. Once the principles are mastered the operational modes are easy - just need to learn the first time.

The alarms on the X-33 are truelly loud - 60db? And will be heard above ambient noise. You can try thewatch out with a downloadable app on iPad.

However the Aerospace movement has been around for a long time so tried and tested and one might say a modern classic. Has greater wrt rating than the X33 if that’s an issue for you - but I shower with my X33 on if necessary (like on holiday near the pool and don’t want someone walking off with it).

Those are my thoughts. If you want to meet up anytime to get a hands on go - just IM me.

Martyn.

Master
    I'm on my second of each. Can't help with your impressions on the look of the Aerospace, but remember there are quite a few versions to choose from.

To answer your Q, the Aerospace is my grab and go watch. It's slim case profile makes it less likely to get knocked and banged in my experience, and for me it's a watch I don't worry about wearing in most situations.

Some thoughts in no particular order:

Being a lefty the single crown operation of the Aerospace is a bit of a pain, but not a deal-breaker.

I like that you can turn the digi display off entirely on both watches (not something you'll find in the X-33 instruction book, and not possible with the newer Skywalker model as I understand it).

The X-33 wins out on its alarm, which is as loud as you've probably read.

The X-33 feels bigger on the wrist despite them both being 42mm.

The Aerospace has less functions than the X-33, but they're more intuitive to use due to the multi-function crown system - if I haven't worn the X-33 for a little while I tend to forget which pusher re-sets the chrono for example..

Sounds a small thing, but I really appreciate the countdown timer on the X-33 which continues counting back up again once it's reached zero - surprisingly useful when cooking! (space food, obvs).

EDIT: the newer versions of each are larger than mine - 44mm now I think for the Aero Evo, and 45mm for the Skywalker.

Last edited by gcleminson; 31st August 2018 at 08:27.

I had this same quandary and even made a video about it. Short answer - X33.

I don’t like the look of the Aerospace ‘cut-outs’, especially on the white dial. The X-33 just looks more integrated.

Personally I’ve got a Z-33 but wouldn’t recommend it for OP due to height and risk of damage.

I like both the Omega and the Breitling, but I own a B-1 and wouldn't swap.

Personally, I wouldn't pay RRP for either, regardless of their HAQ movements - For me, the list prices are too much for a quartz watch, even though logic says that really the price of a mechanical movement is probably only fractionally more to the manufacturer.

There are other options, of course.

I've got this Pulsar - Cost me £25!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 31st August 2018 at 13:18.

Always fancied one of these -

I'm not a fan of Breitlings but do have an X33 and am extremely happy with it. It's clearly a modern Speedmaster, with the same general shape, lugs, hands etc. It's also 42mm when you ignore the pushers, crown and the extra lump between the pushers on the left side (a sort of guard plus you rest your thumb on it when using the pushers on the right side). It's my first titanium watch and is extremely comfortable to the point where I get home from work and if I've been wearing something else (the X33 has been taking over a bit...) I take it off and put on the Omega. I use one of the alarms every morning and time the coffee with the countdown. I haven't yet used the mission timer or some of the other stuff but will get round to learning about it all.

Lume is great and you can also push the lower left pusher to light up the digital readout (just the digits, not the whole thing), which is great at night. My (almost) three-year-old boy loves it.

I shower in it too and am happy using it for cooking (something I tend not to do with my vintage watches!) and wearing on holiday or even as my daily watch when it's raining. Any excuse.

It's also a space watch and used by the European Space Agency.

"A man of little significance"

Master
    I've had an Aerospace, X33 and B1. My fave was the B1 in terms of look- big and bold and I could stare at the caseback for hours... Aerospace was neat but fiddly. The X33 had by far the best functionality, and is the one I'd seek out again.

Here's the B1 caseback, just because.

I own a number of ana-digis but the best is the X-33 Skywalker for me or even the earlier Gens. Brilliant functionality, loud and usable alarm - loads of timers. Looks cool too. They are extremely comfortable on the wrist.

I also own an aerospace which has a lot lower profile and probably is a better all rounder because of this - could be a “one” watch as it looks good in most situations including looking very nice with a suit - not something the X-33 can claim with the same certainty.

However, I still find the Aerospace crown fiddly to use especially when changing the alarm - this puts you off using the functionality - hence my preference for the X-33.

In summary, if you want the watch to aid as a tool - the X-33 is unbeatable. If you want just occasional use of the functions and the watch as an all rounder then the Aerospace may be more suitable.

Wearing my Skywalker X-33 today in fact

Master
    I did have the latest Omega X33 but for the few times i wore it i couldn't justify the cost so sold it.It would be the one to buy if your after a top end ana/digital watch.

Decided on a Casio PRW6100fc so i can wear it anywhere and the bonus is the time is always right.

Nothing to add, unfortunately, as I sold my X33 a while ago and haven't owned a Breitling--but top contributions from all posters in this thread!

Not the "best" by any measure, but this Hermès is not often seen and has a certain charm...

I can’t comment on the X33, but I love my Aerospace, and I really agonised about the purchase. Yes it is “old school” tech, but it looks great, is easy to wear, functionally useful and incredibly accurate. Judging by my Friday thread posts it’s my favourite, and I don’t wish for more.

I have tried the B55 and although I like it very much, the huge cost and complexity are a massive turn off, and I don’t have faith in the longevity of its proprietary battery.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two further options

Certina DS Multi 8

Victorinox Classic XLS

Craftsman
    There is also the Emergency, forget the Emergency II but if you can get hold of a well serviced original then..

Master
    Aerospace Evo for me. Light, low profile, looks great on any strap and it's easy to use and at home in most situations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chopper View Post
    There is also the Emergency, forget the Emergency II but if you can get hold of a well serviced original then..

Seconded, stunning watches...

B1 no doubt

Unusual
    Well built
    Dress up or down
    I never take it off

Craftsman
    If you want something a little different to all the foregoing... Dunhill DM7s can offer very good value for money. Might be a bit dressy for playing in the park though! https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ill-DM7-review

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks guys I’m off to check out an X-33 this weekend, I prefer buying new so no chance of finding a NOS B1 or Emergency