closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Omega 300m (Basel 2018) purchase TAKE 2 >>>

Blog Entries

First Omega 300m (Basel 2018) purchase TAKE 2 >>>

After a lot of umming and ahhing - I even went to the Bremont Boutique and tried on their diver 2000 - very nice it was too, I ended up getting the blue seamaster version of the latest iteration of the Seamaster. I really like the Sedna (?) gold - rose gold, but realised I already had the Yaghtmaster two-tone on bracelet which was too similar.

The new iteration has the 8800 Metas movement with single barrel means it is slimmer than the movements in the PO with dual-barrel, but still holds a reasonable 50hrs power reserve.

The case is slightly wider from the previous iteration so fits more comfortably on my wrist - width being 42mm which is quite acceptable for me.

Similar skeleton hands. The dial now has laser etched horizontal waves which don’t quite reach to the edge of the dial - the meet the seconds chapter markings. Date window is now at a symmetrical 6pm with matching colour to the dial (nice).

Bezel is ceramic with luminous pip as before - it is a dive watch ! Scalloped bezel edges are same as ever - best operated by putting whole palm onto watch face and twisting hand - if you are in water or have gloves on.

Adjustable clasp - yeh!!! Modified bracelet seems more comfy.

And a rough picture:

More later.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 31st August 2018 at 17:29.

Master
    I'm liking that dial a lot

Master
    It certainly looks a lot better than the other photos which really accentuate the dial waves. I find that in that regard it seems similar to my bond SMP in a way. At most angles it is lovely and subtle, but one specific angle and it really is a bit over the top.

The adjustable clasp sounds great. Relying on half links, my SMP is just a fraction too loose, or tight, but rarely perfect. I just can't get past ceramic bezels unfortunately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Relying on half links, my SMP is just a fraction too loose, or tight, but rarely perfect. I just can't get past ceramic bezels unfortunately.
    I hear you. Maybe it would be possible to retro fit the adjustable clasp with the correct end links on the original bracelet? The bezel - it not too ‘shiny’ but understand what you are saying.

Martyn

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I hear you. Maybe it would be possible to retro fit the adjustable clasp with the correct end links on the original bracelet? The bezel - it not too ‘shiny’ but understand what you are saying.

Martyn
    Maybe, although I'd dread to think what a clasp would cost.

With me, while the shiny nature of these bezels doesn't do anything for me, it's primarily their durability. Yes, I'm against them because they are so durable :/ while I like many modern watches, one of the big things about watches for me is the patina, its why I find myself wearing my modern ones less and less. Fading, yellowing, scratches, dinks, I just love watches that really show they've some history (conveniently it also means that I am more inclined to just enjoy wearing them as intended, and have no issue doing some KP duty at work wearing a 16800, 16660, 1601 etc, it just adds to the appeal). That's a whole differently discussion though. Objectively, I think it's a good design overall.
    Last edited by hafle; 30th August 2018 at 20:11.

Master
    That look lovely, congratulations.

Looks a much more acceptable proposition in a real photo than the renders on the Omega site, very nice indeed.

Out of interest, is there any movement on the price of these yet?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Looks a much more acceptable proposition in a real photo than the renders on the Omega site, very nice indeed.

Out of interest, is there any movement on the price of these yet?
    not from a boutique - and not available in ADs just yet. But the boutique threw a free service - could be worth £500 in a few years time.

I know an AD who gives 20% discount on current models for TZ members. Pm me if you want details - they have just started stocking GS too.

Master
    Lovely watch Congrats👍

Craftsman
    Looks fabulous that. As others have said so much better in your shots than the press shots. The waves in particular look nicely restrained. A couldn't find on a search but what exactly is different in the new re-designed bracelet? Aside from the uber useful adjustable clasp that is.

Hope you enjoy it, great purchase!

Blog Entries
    NEWS FLASH. Exchanged for Rose Gold

Blog Entries
    The new purchase (final answer).

Master
    Told you all they were nice a few weeks ago :0

Master
    The new purchase (final answer).

This actually looks very nice on the rubber strap. I would choose the black bezel too, enjoy!

Is there any way to get rid of the helium valve? So much about them is lovely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Is there any way to get rid of the helium valve? So much about them is lovely.

Hacksaw perhaps? It is so much part of the DNA you may as well remove your right leg.

Hacksaw perhaps? It is so much part of the DNA you may as well remove your right leg.

It's more like a third nipple if we're honest.

In all seriousness, it's the only detail that stopped me going for the previous model. The newer version has so many improvements, I'd be so tempted....

I think the rose gold, black face with rubber strap looks stunning. You're pics got me looking at the various 14 combinations on the Omega website.

How was the blue dial in person?

Also, in regards to the rubber strap, what's the quality like and how is the buckle, a simple tang buckle arrangement or deployant?

...sorry to be a pain, what's the L2L, it wasn't mentioned on the Omega website.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The blue one especially looks stunning in your picture, and it might silence some of the critisizers of the watch based on the Omega-supplied press photos. It seems to be quite different from the current model and has more presence in the right kind of way. I think it will be a great succes for Omega.

Master

oooh, looks REALLy nice in this photo! I'm tempted by the grey dial on blue strap I must say...

Craftsman
    Martyn, that looks really nice! Definitely made the right choice in exchanging.

Craftsman
    I'm just about to sell my seamaster..... however I may have to buy that rose gold one.

That is stunning!

Is there a waiting list?

Craftsman
    That rose gold really is something, havent seen it before!

Journeyman
    What a difference rose gold makes to that seamaster.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P4u1 View Post
    I'm just about to sell my seamaster..... however I may have to buy that rose gold one.

That is stunning!

Is there a waiting list?
    I don't think so - but they are not seen outside the Omega boutiques yet. Officially they have not been released! Apparently I was the first to purchase one in the boutique I went to. Diana served me very nicely and it was all together a very pleasant experience! No pressure to buy and they allowed me to change my mind with no hassle.

Couple of more pictures from this evening:

Fabulous and the improvements on these new models are excellent. I was looking around today at watches up to £5k for another thread and realised just how much you get with these for the money, they’re outstanding value when compared to others like, dare I say, Rolex steel divers. I would definitely buy the black dial / black insert on bracelet.

Enjoy!

Martyn that 2 tone is stunning. Just a belter. You've ended up with the right version IMHO and it's got a completely different look to the YM so they can both sit happily in your collection.

Journeyman
    NEWS FLASH. Exchanged for Rose Gold
    Great decision imo! The whole range looks to be a home run but that model in particular just nails it. Living up in the frozen north I will have to wait for general release but I can certainly see one coming. Congratulations!

Sent from my STF-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Very nice indeed Martyn, fabulous choice.
    I would like to add one of these to the collection at some point.....

Pic from the web

Don't like the latest iterations in black and blue, but I do like those two gold versions in the above posts.

Congratulations on your purchase and well done for quickly acting on your realisation of the best one for you.

Master
    @Martyn:

If you have the chance at some point a few more pics would be appreciated

Not too many to be found on the net and I am quite curious about this model now.

Your watch looks fantastic. I think the negativity that we have seen elsewhere about the new model will wear off in time, it certainly is ‘different’ but different is good, it can just be a bit shocking to begin with! I have the black dial SMPc but the new model is definitely a step up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Very nice indeed Martyn, fabulous choice.
    I would like to add one of these to the collection at some point.....

Pic from the web
    Problem with the two tone bracelet is the price which is £7k. There is a limited edition Ti two tone version which is £14k.

With the rubber strap it becomes more possible.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe, although I'd dread to think what a clasp would cost.

With me, while the shiny nature of these bezels doesn't do anything for me, it's primarily their durability. Yes, I'm against them because they are so durable :/ while I like many modern watches, one of the big things about watches for me is the patina, its why I find myself wearing my modern ones less and less. Fading, yellowing, scratches, dinks, I just love watches that really show they've some history (conveniently it also means that I am more inclined to just enjoy wearing them as intended, and have no issue doing some KP duty at work wearing a 16800, 16660, 1601 etc, it just adds to the appeal). That's a whole differently discussion though. Objectively, I think it's a good design overall.
    Which bracelet do you have? The adjustable bit cost me about £78 last year fromOmega Regent Street, inc postage. Adaptors would cost a bit more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Which bracelet do you have? The adjustable bit cost me about £78 last year fromOmega Regent Street, inc postage. Adaptors would cost a bit more.
    Not sure of the model number, but it's the one on the original bond SMP where adjustment is purely via swapping out full and half links.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure of the model number, but it's the one on the original bond SMP where adjustment is purely via swapping out full and half links.
    I have the modern Bond (20mm not tapered) with screws. That fits this clasp (replaces the diver extension). It might fit yours directly. Adaptors certainly needed for the 18mm Speedmaster-style bracelet.

Blog Entries
    Hi guys

I see there were a few more questions regarding this one:

Lug width is a simple 20mm and across lugs (according to my callipers) is: 49mm
    Clasp is pin-buckle - with raised Omega symbol polished on the brushed clasp -

couple more pictures as requested

This shows the crown and profile with 'scallope' nature in bezel and case back

Craftsman
    Great pictures and a stunning combination, think I may have to look at one of those.
    For me the larger size will work great.
    Do you think the new Seamaster will be available with similar discounts available at ADs as most of the other ranges once they have been around a while ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Great pictures and a stunning combination, think I may have to look at one of those.
    For me the larger size will work great.
    Do you think the new Seamaster will be available with similar discounts available at ADs as most of the other ranges once they have been around a while ?
    Don't see why not. They are mainstream SMP - but I would guess you may see bigger discounts on the previous iterations.

Master
    Thanks for the pics!

I really wasn’t keen on most of the new omegas but the rose gold seamaster is truly stunning!

Blog Entries
    I think it stands up well against this one:

(Web image)

(Own image)

Craftsman
    I think it stands up well against this one:

(Web image)

(Own image)
    Completely agree and far more attainable than the Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post
    Completely agree and far more attainable than the Rolex.
    Strangely drawn to this. After not liking the new SMP due to the waves & HUGE HEV, and rather liking the gloss dialled SMPc, I have to say the two tone works especially on the rubber strap. (Maybe this midlife crises is coming to me early).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app