closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 363 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I do appreciate the comments, as it's helping me develop my thought process.

I've spent most of the afternoon thinking about this, and I suspect that the R NineT may well be the bike I'd like to end up with. However, it's far more powerful than I intended (twice the bhp of the Street Twin and T100, for example) and a good £5k more than my other choices. Yes, I can buy it used (although there aren't many around and they're still expensive), but I can buy all of them used.

I think that a stepping stone to something of that size and cost would be sensible, so I'm going to stick for now to the four bikes I decided to test. The Triumph Street Twin, Street Scrambler and T100; and the Ducati Scrambler. The first and last of those are both particularly light and nimble, and probably best suited to someone new to large bikes; if i really feel that to be an advantage at the moment, then I'll probably opt for one of them, and plan to upgrade about 18 months down the line. Getting it right at that point will be an easier exercise, and I'll also be more inclined to go for something bigger and more suited to touring as I reckon we'll be in Tenerife in about 3 years. Riding the coast roads will be one of the things that keeps me sane, and whatever bike i have at that time will be coming with me, along with everything else we take over there.

I'm 58, by the way, and pretty fit and healthy. So far, I've gone 125, 250 (w/o licence) ---------- 35 years ---------- 125!

Tony I think you have distilled and digested all the advice given on the forum well. As a shortarse (slightly senior to you by 4 years and current owner of 6 bikes), I would HAPPILY ride and own any of your four shortlist. All of them are attractive enough to move on without taking a haircut on selling if you dont bond or want to change.

Power wise Im sure it was Mike Hailwood who said no one needs more than 60 bhp on the public roads. 95% of 100bhp plus bikers rarely use the full performance regularly. However 100% of all riders feel the weight agility and nimbleness of their bikes 100% of the time at low speeds.

Lower weight nimble bikes are so easy to move around the shed garage etc, because as stated many posts ago we all drop our bikes when we are moving them to get something else out!

Just my 2p
    Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    68? You must be joking! I can’t see a single Harley in your short list!
    Fixed for you

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    58? Then buy what excites your heart not your brain.
    What he said

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony I think you have distilled and digested all the advice given on the forum well. As a shortarse (slightly senior to you by 4 years and current owner of 6 bikes), I would HAPPILY ride and own any of your four shortlist. All of them are attractive enough to move on without taking a haircut on selling if you dont bond or want to change.

Power wise Im sure it was Mike Hailwood who said no one needs more than 60 bhp on the public roads. 95% of 100bhp plus bikers rarely use the full performance regularly. However 100% of all riders feel the weight agility and nimbleness of their bikes 100% of the time at low speeds.

Lower weight nimble bikes are so easy to move around the shed garage etc, because as stated many posts ago we all drop our bikes when we are moving them to get something else out!

Just my 2p
    Steve
    Thanks Steve - good advice, and much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Can I say one word?

Hayabusa.

Shortarse compliant, stable, comfortable suspension, effortless power.

It's one of the nicest bikes to ride slowly that I've ever had. Cruising around legally is sublime. Relaxing.

Ok, if you wind it open it's less sublime and relaxing, but treated the right way it's like having a V12 limousine and you can just waft along.

(But don't get one as a first bike, Tony)

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Can I say one word?

Hayabusa.

It's one of the nicest bikes to ride slowly that I've ever had. Cruising around legally is sublime. Relaxing.

Ok, if you wind it open it's less sublime and relaxing, but treated the right way it's like having a V12 limousine and you can just waft along.

Not fast enough anyway

Master
    Can I say one word?

Hayabusa.

Agreed its the TGV of bikes , continent shrinking performance and nice as pie if you use the first 5 % of throttle, more and to quote Clarkson “ It has enough torque to turn the world”

Can I say one word?

Hayabusa.

Hedgeabuser they are commonly known as due to poor cornering ability

I'm sitting the theory test in three hours. I've been practicing, and the response choices to the questions have had me in hysterics

Good luck

Well, I passed. I almost screwed up the hazard perception test, though, through over clicking on three of the clips and not scoring on them. It was nothing like the practice clips online where you could click 8 times in quick succession without penalty!!!

TFFT

Well, I passed. I almost screwed up the hazard perception test, though, through over clicking on three of the clips and not scoring on them. It was nothing like the practice clips online where you could click 8 times in quick succession without penalty!!!

TFFT
    Well done. I smashed mine but I have taken a lot of exams recently.

Good luck with the MOD1. I had...ahem...4 bites at that one! Curse the U-turn.

Grand Master

Looking forward to riding with you Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Nice Thruxton R Kerry, nice helmet too. Was that photo taken at Loomies?

Congrats Tony BTW!

Thanks all. Ditto what Duncan said!

Just had a sit on a Kawasaki Z650 - so small and light it felt like my 125!!! Very interesting.

Well done on passing the theory... now the real fun starts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Insurance costs always used to sway my motorcycle purchasing decisions when I was young and skint.
    It can seriously hike up the running costs.

I was insured with Carole Nash until yesterday, but they kept upping the prices each and every year - this year it was up by £58 to just over £300 = 20% annual increase

Shopping around generated two decent quotes from Bennetts & MCE.
    The 3rd quote from RAC came in at £170, and had better T&C for the excess payments

The RAC were £50 cheaper than standard quotes, and nearly half the cost of my previous insurance provider.
    It pays to shop around.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    The regular R9T I have ridden and the handling is sublime, it is a quick bike as well and much faster than it looks, 120bhp I think, the low centre of gravity makes it a joy to ride, I'm seriously considering buying one myself.
    105bhp

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Congrats T.

Regarding R9T's, I guess it's what you're used to but I didn't find the loan bike I had when my S1000r was being serviced was anything more than reasonably brisk. It didn't do much for me, but I guess you'd feel a lot different if you really liked the design.

A vertically challenged work colleague of mine has one of these, which he really likes

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/produ...ge/xsr700.aspx

Not expensive.
    Last edited by andy tims; 5th September 2018 at 13:44.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    105bhp

I thought it was 110bhp!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Congrats T.

Regarding R9T's, I guess it's what you're used to but I didn't find the loan bike I had when my S1000r was being serviced was anything more than reasonably brisk. It didn't do much for me, but I guess you'd feel a lot different if you really liked the design.
    The 125mph 0-60 in 3.5 seconds R9T didn't feel anymore than reasonably brisk against your 160mph 0-60mph in 2.6 seconds S100R? I'm not surprised to be honest!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I thought it was 110bhp!
    It is.

Probably nearer 100hp at the back wheel.
    My guess is 95-98?

I've got my training on the DAS bikes, followed by my MOD 1, next week. Admittedly, I only searched for BMW approved used examples, which I accept will be more expensive than non-BMW approved.
    I know the owner of this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R-nin...53.m1438.l2649

If you think you might be interested...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Ah - even so, I doubt I'd ever look at it again.
    Was so happy to sell the YBR. After riding a proper bike, it felt so powerless and rickety on those tiny wheels. Definitely not looking back!

And congrats on the theory!
    Last edited by greenandblack; 5th September 2018 at 14:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Probably nearer 100hp at the back wheel.
    My guess is 95-98?
    Undoubtedly but the engine produces 110bhp.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I know the owner of this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R-nin...53.m1438.l2649

If you think you might be interested...

R
    Thanks for that, Ralphy. It's a lovely bike, but probably not the one for me (I certainly want something that can be two-up, and with that exhaust I'd have to put Bea on my shoulders).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    The 125mph 0-60 in 3.5 seconds R9T didn't feel anymore than reasonably brisk against your 160mph 0-60mph in 2.6 seconds S100R? I'm not surprised to be honest!

- - - Updated - - -

It is.
    my apologies, 110 it is. That’s why I’ve been over the speed limit! It’s 5hp more than I thought it was!

I did say it depends what you're used to .
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I had an S1000RS and a Nine T side by side for a couple of years, but lately sold the S1000 as it forces you to ride like your hair’s on fire.
    Still love the Nine T and I’ll probably keep it till I can’t ride anymore, then I’ll put it in the lounge and look at it

Congrats T.

A vertically challenged work colleague of mine has one of these, which he really likes

Not expensive.

Congrats T.

Not expensive.
    Thanks Andy. I did have a sit on an XSR700 the other day and found it higher and less comfortable than all the others I’ve tried. Your mate must wear Cuban heels!

Well, I'm off to play with the MT-07 in a couple of hours - quite excited about it too, as it's something quite different to all the other bikes I've been focusing on to date.

I have one more week now before my DAS bike training and MOD1. I'm already nervous just thinking about it.

Don't put your feet down

Don't put your feet down
    Haha... I'm now focusing on practising my slow manoeuvres and U-turns. It'll be infuriating to fail on that, but I know how possible it is!

Keep your eyes on where you want to go, not on the thing you’re trying to avoid (cone, obstacle)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

Lovely!!!

Well, I know now that the MT-07 is definitely getting a test ride. It’s very slightly higher than the others but feels much lighter, and very comfortable. It’s certainly still in the mix.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th September 2018 at 20:21.

Master
    Lovely!!!

Well, I know now that the MT-07 is definitely gettingbanyeat ride. It’s very slightly higher than the others but feels much lighter, and very comfortable. It’s certainly still in the mix.
    Im not sure if this was mentioned/demonstrated at the dealership Tony, but the rear shock is adjustable and can lower the seat height a little.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Im not sure if this was mentioned/demonstrated at the dealership Tony, but the rear shock is adjustable and can lower the seat height a little.
    I was okay with it, actually - not quite flat footed on both sides but not far off.

Something interesting happened when I was buying the AGV helmet, though. I was being served by an old boy and we started chatting about the bikes I'm testing. Anyway, it turned out that he bought a Street Twin (in black) in January, from the guy at Triumph Hemel who's helping me. He rode it home, used it once for work and garaged it. It's now got 27 miles on the clock and he said that if I decide to go for the Twin then he's happy to sell me his.

I'll wait to see which bike I actually prefer, but if he's willing to knock a decent chunk off list it might be a vote winner as it's effectively a new bike. I already know that the Twin is going to be one of the easier bikes to handle, so there are real possibilities.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th September 2018 at 22:41.

Interesting thread. On a very similar path. CBT booked with A license the target by the end of the year. Watching with interest as it seems we have a similar taste in bikes and short inside leg!

I normally ride big bikes but yesterday I took this out. This XSR700 is very impressive bike for little £’s

Anyway, it turned out that he bought a Street Twin (in black) in January, from the guy at Triumph Hemel who's helping me. He rode it home, used it once for work and garaged it. It's now got 27 miles on the clock and he said that if I decide to go for the Twin then he's happy to sell me his.
    ...fate

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    ...fate
    Haha.. maybe

Thinking about it, he may struggle to compete against buying new. Triumph have various offers (0% finance, £1k of accessories, etc), will probably discount a bit and will take my YBR as a trade-in. With 27 miles on the clock I can't imagine he'll come down from list by a silly amount, so it still may not be the best option around.

In other news, I've been practicing my u-turns, slaloming and lifesavers (albeit on the smaller bike). I've definitely improved, and the lifesavers are getting much easier (I've been doing neck stretching exercises for two weeks now, as I was finding it quite hard to turn my head properly). I have one more week before my DAS bike training starts, and I'm going to try to make the most of it.

Craftsman
    Be interesting to see how much he comes down, and you’ll get more for the YBR privately (though I guess it’s near the end of learner season - start advertising now!). Is it because he has other bikes, or some deals buyers remorse?

Sounds good on the practice. Once you start the training, I was told not to practice manoeuvres on the ybr as it’s too different and will confuse your technique.

A mistake I was picked up on was using minimum revs - he said having higher revs with part clutch and back brake is more stabilising as the flywheel creates a gyroscopic effect

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Be interesting to see how much he comes down, and you’ll get more for the YBR privately (though I guess it’s near the end of learner season - start advertising now!). Is it because he has other bikes, or some deals buyers remorse?

Sounds good on the practice. Once you start the training, I was told not to practice manoeuvres on the ybr as it’s too different and will confuse your technique.

A mistake I was picked up on was using minimum revs - he said having higher revs with part clutch and back brake is more stabilising as the flywheel creates a gyroscopic effect

Apparently he has some water supply or drainage (can't remember) issues that are his responsibility, and he's been quoted £6k to sort it out; given that he wasn't using the bike (nor did he use the Harley that he traded with Triumph at the same time) it just doesn't make sense to keep it.

I probably should think about advertising the YBR, but I reckon I can get a decent price against a new bike, and I need to hang onto it in case I don't pass the test straight away. Unfortunately I'm a month or two later in the year than I'd like to be but I'm stuck with that.

Interesting point about technique, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I normally ride big bikes but yesterday I took this out. This XSR700 is very impressive bike for little £’s

I sat on one of these yesterday, and in fact my only local Yamaha dealer may not have an MT-07 demonstrator so suggested I take the XSR out instead. Same engine and similar characteristics, if marginally more upright/less sporty.

By all accounts it's a genuine alternative to the MT, so if I really liked it more than the Triumphs and Ducati I'd have to make a choice based on looks and style. Not an easy decision, that one, because the XSR is a lovely looking thing! Big downside, though, is that the height is the worst (for me) of all the bikes I've considered/sat on.

Last edited by learningtofly; 8th September 2018 at 13:06.

For something completely different, Ward's appear to have put out the Christmas decorations early

a bit late

but congratulations on passing your test and good luck with the bike hunting. I am sure you will get some better deals as summer winds down even more.

For something completely different, Ward's appear to have put out the Christmas decorations early
    Which one is that?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    I'm excited for you to get your first go on a real bike after a YBR!