closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Best Kettle

The Best Kettle

I'm after a kettle that will last. Prefer good solid engineering over fancy fashion trends, and it must be something with a finish that holds up and is cleanable (find plastic and chrome ones age badly).

Is there anything good out there or am I locked-in to some LED-encrusted piece of tat like my other half has her eye on?

Maybe some classic design that's been around for 30 years and still going strong today with good availability of parts would suit my ethos.

Any recommendations before morphy richards gain access to my abode?

Bosch styline, had mine 6 years no problems other than a de scale every once in a while

We bought this Dualit last year from John Lewis with Christmas vouchers, its lovely, really robust, looks good, pours perfectly and the copper accents are a nice touch. Not cheap but the quality is fantastic.

https://www.johnlewis.com/dualit-cla...opper/p1731363
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    This post had me confused along with the answers, especially when I saw that the OP was from 'the North'.

Dahn 'ere, kettle is slang for a watch!
    Last edited by Motman; 25th September 2018 at 08:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Bosch styline, had mine 6 years no problems other than a de scale every once in a while

Me too mate
    Make sure to get the one with the big baseplate
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    We bought this Dualit last year from John Lewis with Christmas vouchers, its lovely, really robust, looks good, pours perfectly and the copper accents are a nice touch. Not cheap but the quality is fantastic.

https://www.johnlewis.com/dualit-cla...opper/p1731363
    Got mine from Costco ( all SS no copper) and I fully agree with your comments! There is a slight trick of opening the lid when the kettle has just boiled to avoid burning the backs of fingers but once that is mastered, you are away!

Stay away from anything made by Casa Bugatti, they look great but are rubbish.

Craftsman
    Another vote for the Bosch from me, six years full on use & still going strong. The button that opens the lid has just recently started to stick very occasionally on opening but its served me well considering I work at home so it's used throughout the day.

Apprentice
    Another vote for the Bosch.

Craftsman
    I had the same dilemma recently.
    Wanted to avoid anything with a plastic interior which is really tricky!
    Read lots of reviews and finally ended up with the Breville VKT071 Glass Kettle.
    Pours fantastically and if you don't get limescale it looks great too!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Haven't paid for a kettle for years. They always fail before guarantee period ends and Currys replace with new one.

ATM we've got a glass Russel Hobbs - looks okay.

Big fan of Stollar/Sage kitchen equipment. Not cheap, but lasts years and years. We have a kettle with temperature buttons for different types of tea.

Craftsman
    We have a kitchen aid one and can’t fault it. It’s not cheap but had it about 4 years without issue at this point (bet it breaks this week after saying that)

Tesco own brand steel jug kettle, now @ 6 years old. £12.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    We have a kitchen aid one and can’t fault it. It’s not cheap but had it about 4 years without issue at this point (bet it breaks this week after saying that)
    We have a KitchenAid Artisan. Looks lovely but reliability has been very poor. The first one died completely within a year and was replaced. The second one still works but now refuses to switch off when it reaches temperature. We are still using it as, for a kettle, it was not cheap, but we wouldn't buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Got mine from Costco ( all SS no copper) and I fully agree with your comments! There is a slight trick of opening the lid when the kettle has just boiled to avoid burning the backs of fingers but once that is mastered, you are away!

Why would you open the lid when its just boiled?

The lid is quite stiff to open, but Ive read somewhere you can adjust it so its easier. I haven't bothered.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Eeeee lad. I were right about that saddle tho

Master
    I've got the white plastic version @£7 now 4 years old :-)

B

At home have a Stelton Emma kettle. Looks nice but has a small capacity.

Master
    Another vote for Dualit. Got sick and tired of replacing kettles and toasters on a regular basis so bought Dualit. Must have had them at least 10 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I've got the white plastic version @£7 now 4 years old :-)B

Cheapskate! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Presume kettle life is dependent on how march hardness is in the water.

Blog Entries
    Anybody tried a hot water dispenser?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Presume kettle life is dependent on how march hardness is in the water.
    Water breaking a kettle? Never heard of it.

Craftsman
    What about limescale on the heating element?
    We had a Smeg kettle that failed, took it back to John Lewis and they made a point about asking if we descaled regularly - totally irrelevant in our case as the lid hinge was the point of failure. But still an indication that scale causes failures I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Water breaking a kettle? Never heard of it.

Blog Entries
    No connection except have one and they're brilliant!
    Ian

http://www.quooker.co.uk/enuk

Blog Entries
    Had the cheapo at work and in truth did great with the boys constantly brewing up have had a Dualit at home for the last four years and great but no better than the cheapo just looks better again as has been said i think water hardness is the killer and anything else is cosmetic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    We have a KitchenAid Artisan. Looks lovely but reliability has been very poor. The first one died completely within a year and was replaced. The second one still works but now refuses to switch off when it reaches temperature. We are still using it as, for a kettle, it was not cheap, but we wouldn't buy another.
    Sounds like the same model as ours. We got my dad one as well and it’s been going about 3 years at this point. On occasion it would boil for about 5 seconds longer than I think it should based on the noise of the water but I’ve never had it not switch off.

Master
    I'm on my second one of those Bosch. I'm not sure I'd say it was that reliable but we like the multiple temperature option. The first one had a maddening loose screw in the kettle bottom until it died after a couple of years use. The second after 18 months is temperamental from time to time on deciding when it thinks it should switch off at 100C. We also went through 2 CuisineArt multi-temp kettles in fairly short order luckily JL replacing the first for free. My son's student house has a Bosch Village model still going strong after 2 years heavy use!!

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    Sounds like the same model as ours. We got my dad one as well and it’s been going about 3 years at this point. On occasion it would boil for about 5 seconds longer than I think it should based on the noise of the water but I’ve never had it not switch off.
    I guess we have been particularly unlucky. The whole temperature setting lever and leds assembly on the base is out of sync with the actual water temp. Still makes cold water hot though so not all bad!

Long may yours continue to behave.

Had the kitchen aid one, looks great, with temp control. Poor quality compared to the bullet proof mixer, very disappointing. Complaint made to kitchen aid was ignored.

I now have the Bosch one as previously mentioned. I now can't live without the temperature control function, it has outlasted the kitchen aid already.

Panasonic NC-DK1WXC for us. Keeps the water nice a hot for ages. Perfect for when the wife has her coffee 30 minutes before I stumble out of bed.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Suzuki GT 750, if you can find one! :)

My Mum & Dad are still using their Aga kettle, I remember them buying it when I was a kid over 30 years ago. It’s been faultless!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Big fan of Stollar/Sage kitchen equipment. Not cheap, but lasts years and years. We have a kettle with temperature buttons for different types of tea.

Also here with Sage, but without the temp control. Build quality and detail is great, even the lid has a soft open function to stop hot condensation going all over you when opened after boiling.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I have Wolfe. I bought one after our last kettle stopped working. It’s a Bosch. A stand-alone model and not a fitted one. It looked a bit plasticky when I got it about 3 or 4 years ago so I didn’t have tremendous confidence where it’s longevity was concerned. It has an onboard Brita filter and it asks for a de-scale every so often.
    To my surprise, it has been excellent and dispenses water in precise amounts at whatever temperature you set. It means that you only boil what you need so I assume it’s cheaper to run. It’s certainly the quickest way to make a cuppa with a teabag. Ten seconds from beginning to end.
    If it were to stop tomorrow I think I would probably buy another one. It suits us perfectly but others may have different needs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by domwells View Post
    What about limescale on the heating element?
    We had a Smeg kettle that failed, took it back to John Lewis and they made a point about asking if we descaled regularly - totally irrelevant in our case as the lid hinge was the point of failure. But still an indication that scale causes failures I guess.

I also had problems with the lid mech on a smeg kettle. Would never buy another. Looks great but not quality build.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I'm on my second one of those Bosch. I'm not sure I'd say it was that reliable but we like the multiple temperature option. The first one had a maddening loose screw in the kettle bottom until it died after a couple of years use. The second after 18 months is temperamental from time to time on deciding when it thinks it should switch off at 100C. We also went through 2 CuisineArt multi-temp kettles in fairly short order luckily JL replacing the first for free. My son's student house has a Bosch Village model still going strong after 2 years heavy use!!
    I had the loose screw. Rang up JL who sent me a new one and said I didn't have to return the old one.
    Still very happy with the kettle and would deffo pull the trigger on another one of those bad boys etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Used to live with one, not really worth it unless you're getting through the volume imnsvho

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I had the loose screw. Rang up JL who sent me a new one and said I didn't have to return the old one.
    Still very happy with the kettle and would deffo pull the trigger on another one of those bad boys etc etc etc
    I like the Bosch but am struggling to get it approved by my other half. She's latched on to "the base looks MASSIVE" as her stonewall argument why it's unsuitable.

Sigh, this is so difficult. Think we're going to have to get a glass one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Boil that bad boy in good health.

Grand Master
    Nowt wrong with putting a pot of water on the stove is there
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Nowt wrong with putting a pot of water on the stove is there
    Log burning stove?

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Why would you open the lid when its just boiled?

The lid is quite stiff to open, but Ive read somewhere you can adjust it so its easier. I haven't bothered.
    There are times when you want to refill it directly after it has boiled, such as when you are filling pans to speed up a fridge defrost.

Blog Entries
    Here’s a tip!

Kettles do need descaling particularly if you live in a hard water area, once the scale reaches a certain thickness the boiling action will cause fragments of scale debris to break away and I for one do not like scale debris in my hot drinks thankee! Also, do not waste your money (Yorkshire lads now paying attention) by buying descaling sachets which are only Citric Acid, buy a 2.5KG tub of Citric Acid from Amazon which will only cost you £12.65, you only need a tablespoon to descale a kettle and a tub should last you a couple of years or more!
    Last edited by KavKav; 26th September 2018 at 08:50.

Craftsman
    Keep away from the Smarter wifi kettles, absolutely hopeless, keeps losing connection with app and control is very hit and miss. We now just push the on/off button to use, you live and learn.

We got rid of our Russel Hobbs 'Venus' kettle (top in 'Which' years ago). We now just boil our kettle on the induction hob using the 'boost' setting.... boils fast too.

Master
    Hands down the best kettle ever...