closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Paying house movers?

Paying house movers?

Hi,

Hoping for some advice please. We are due to move house soon, and as such have received flyers from moving companies.

Had one quote for £720 (3 storey house 2 adults, 2 kids) 6 mile move, Leicestershire area.

They supply boxes we fill, including wardrobe boxes you can hang clothes in, special boxes for pictures, tv's etc.

Anyone have any experiences, thoughts or advice to share? Recommendations also gladly received.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Oli

I've read about lots of scams where companies turn up, pack your life in their vans and you never see them again.

You might like to check that anyone you use is affiliated with BAR

https://bar.co.uk

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

That’s a decent price . I paid £1600 for a full pack service to move 3 miles . In reality the biggest job is loading and unloading .

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Different part of the country but that price sounds ok to me.

mike

Grand Master
    Sounds reasonable. 3 story house doesn`t make the job any easier!

In my experience, of all the bodies involved in a house move (solicitors, Estate Agents, Mortgage advisers, Surveyers etc) the removal firms give the best value for money and they're the guys I don`t begrudge paying. Provided the firm's local and have a decent reputation I would go with them. When you work out the wages and costs the price is probably fair, no one works for nowt thesedays.

If you are fit for it, do it yourself.

Seems a lot for some cardboard boxes and a days van hire.

Master
    Don't skimp on this because there is a high chance that you will regret it.

Check that the company is bricks and mortar in the district that you are moving from. If you have their van full of your stuff, you need to know that they are legit. If you get screwed by a scammer, your insurance company will not pay out because you will have been seen not to have taken due diligence in selecting a reliable remover.

For some reason the town of departure tends to come up with the best quotes. Don't ask me why, it just goes that way. Friday is everyones favourite day for moving, so prices go up on Fridays. Don't be afraid to haggle.

The most important thing is for them to pack and unpack everything. That is the only way you can claim for breakages. If you pack it, you cannot prove breakage in transit. Obviously you need to check out their insurance for exclusions etc.

I last moved house in 1982 but I signed off several dozens of removal claims for staff who relocated and the most common problem was proving or disproving breakages, so make sure you just stand there watching them doing the work. Finally make it clear that there is a tip waiting if they do a good job.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    If you are fit for it, do it yourself.

Seems a lot for some cardboard boxes and a days van hire.
    Worst possible advice! I`ve seen people do this and struggle, I`ve ended up helping and believe me it's a whole lot harder than it looks. Unless you've got enough bodies with experience of lugging furniture it's a bad idea.

Even packing all your stuff into boxes is a far bigger job than people realise. Best advice I can give is to start packing early and be sure to label the boxes carefully. Start doing this weeks before, not days!

When you factor in the total cost of housemoves, a few £100s to a removal firm is nothing. Trust me it's money well spent, anything that makes the move easier and less stressful is worthwhile and a good removals firm will do this.

Blog Entries
    Moved March this year again around 3/5miles away and firstly get an accredited company who are BAR members with proper insurance i packed myself as i am retired and that way i knew what was in what box and what was needed to be unpacked first but with a job and kids maybe go for the packing service and a three story house you will kill yourself doing it yourself probably instigate a divorce and wish your kids were in care ,my advice in the house selling and moving equation do not stint on this part of it.

Craftsman
    I have moved house both ways. First time I moved I had to use a removal company as I had broken my leg. Cost £500 to move a few pieces of furniture a mile down the road (admittedly I was moving from a third floor flat with no lift). Second I moved I hired a van and did it myself. It was much cheaper, but with hindsight I will always pay someone to do it from now on. Just takes all the stress out of the day and there experience of manoevouring furniture through doorways up stairs etc can save a lot of arguments haha.

In the whole house moving process, the removal men work hardest (and get paid the least). It doesn't seem to make sense to skimp on this bit.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    In the whole house moving process, the removal men work hardest (and get paid the least). It doesn't seem to make sense to skimp on this bit.
    Having moved 4 times in the last 10 years I would agree 100% with this.

Don't skimp - you will regret it!

Thanks for all the replies :)

Just me and the Mrs really, with 2 kids and a dog, I certainly don't relish the idea of getting furniture done 3 flights! Just the usual in-laws etc poised to help, but I am not keen!

Sounds like I need to make sure they are reputable, and ensure I examine the insurance exclusions carefully.

Any local recommendations would be much appreciated (leicester)

I shall of course carry my watch box personally, nobody touches those! :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds cheap. Even at double the money, it's worth every penny. I moved myself once. Never again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olic View Post
    Thanks for all the replies :)

Just me and the Mrs really, with 2 kids and a dog, I certainly don't relish the idea of getting furniture done 3 flights! Just the usual in-laws etc poised to help, but I am not keen!

Sounds like I need to make sure they are reputable, and ensure I examine the insurance exclusions carefully.

Any local recommendations would be much appreciated (leicester)

I shall of course carry my watch box personally, nobody touches those! :)
    As a dog owner we have 4 i recommend putting the dog in the kennels the day before the move and for a day or two afterwards once you have drawn breath and settled down.

Master
    We have just booked one locally and paid 400 for a 3 bedroom house in Grantham so not that far from you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    £720 seems like a good price. I think time is money (much like employing any tradesman) and using a proper removal company is money well spent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We have just booked one locally and paid 400 for a 3 bedroom house in Grantham so not that far from you

That’s incredibly cheap. When we last moved about 4 years ago we paid best part of £2k though that was in London, moving to a 3 story house and they did do the packing too. It was worth it though, they had it all packed in a couple of days (over 130 boxes!), I am sure it would have taken us weeks.
    There’s still a handful of boxes that haven’t been unpacked yet!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Letting the move company do the packing is worth every single penny. They're so quick, efficient and professional.

We moved from Bristol, 65 miles away to Oxfordshire, three years ago and used the Small Move Company. Seem to recall it was around £500 for two packers/drivers and two vans. Not a single thing was broken or went missing and worked like absolute trojans for 14 hours before they set off back to Bristol, with a handsome tip for all their hard work. I'd heartily recommend them if you're in the Bristol area.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Hi, that does seem good value, might I ask the companies name please?

Grand Master
    Plan ahead, then work out who is best to do it, if you need things broken down to get out of your house, or into the new one then having movers who have the tools and experience is priceless, having them pack as well is always a good thing where possible, if it's only a 6 mile move, and you have some overlap then you can always do car runs, leaving only the big stuff, work that out and you know what you need.

Last one we had were terrible though, we had to do the break down and build up of items, packaging, even going into the van to stop breakables being tossed in with heavier stuff on top, pictures being slapped in on the side and damaged, really poor stuff, previous guys were brilliant, you really need to check for some references i'd say, wish we had just did the last run ourselves, would have been easier, cheaper and i'd have broken less things even if i'd used a hammer to open the boxes!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Definitely do not do it yourself. When you watch a 50'year old bloke pick up a washing machine on his own and then trot up the path with it to the removal van you realise why!

sounds fair. I was quoted £900 for a 3 bed semi move, 12 miles away.

Ended up hiring a van and roping some mates in.

Never again.

Sounds reasonable to me, I paid a bit more 6 years ago for similar spec. 4 lads 3 large vans for one day, they worked their socks off and did a really good job.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Don’t go by cheapest too. Reputation is key. During my move a table corner got damaged . Owner of removal company sent a furniture repairer down and fixed it no quibbles. They supplied boxes and and then took them back too which saves a lot of time and grief .

Craftsman
    Seems a good price, just had a couple of quotes for our move around £1200 Mark. I hired a Luton van once and did it myself, never again.

Just leave 80-90% of everything, and buy some new stuff that’s delivered for free once you’ve moved.
    It's just a matter of time...

Hmm made that mistake with expensive bespoke blinds, no point taking them! :(

Gone for quality over quantity the past few years, so quite attached to most of it. Would make life easier though!

I would recommend using a BAR member company, as that should give some reassurance that the removals company adheres to their code of service/conduct. Also make sure that they use their own salaried staff, ie not day labour, which some removals companies do (and they tend to be less experienced and want to get home early).

As others have already said, do not scrimp on this part. And don't even consider moving your own stuff with a bunch of friends/family.

Blog Entries
    £720 sounds pretty good to me. I would check out the company first though, look at their premises and feedback etc.
    We used a local company earlier this year to move about 2 miles and it was £2000. Admittedly it included some workshop machinery!
    Prior to that I always hired vans and mates supplied more muscle, but decided to have a rest this time. Best decision!

Ian

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Agree with this, give them a good tip they will have earnt it.