closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Energy supplier change

Craftsman

Energy supplier change

Our E.ON 12 month deal is up next month and the new deal they offered is an increase of 36%! So, started the comparison checks process. It's a nightmare because every time you think you have found a good deal and then check reviews of the supplier you get disheartened by -ve comments. One supplier. Octopus, comes out quite well, although they have some poor feedback from customers of a Co. that failed and they took over after being appointed by Ofgem as 'Supplier of last resort' (look it up) Has anybody switched to them, and if so, would you vouch for them? Thanks

Journeyman
    I used to have octopus as my energy supplier (changed because the current deal ended). I did not have any problems with them and found there online portal for looking at bills and entering meter readings very easy and clear. I would not have any problem recommending them, but I think with these things its how they deal with problems, which in my case I did not have any or a need to do.

Craftsman
    I've gone with Pure Planet. Avro, who I was with previously, were previously the cheapest but no more with September price rises and the end of my deal. Couldn't find a cheaper dual-fuel deal myself.

Blog Entries
    Just switching from Bulb vario to EON fixed for a year on a dual tarif got fed up going backwards and forwards on comparison sites.

Craftsman
    I’ve been considering using flipper, which is a service that continually searches out the best deals for you and then takes care of the switching. If it works it’s definitely the way forward, an automated changer with all the benefits of the comparison sites built in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    I’ve been considering using flipper, which is a service that continually searches out the best deals for you and then takes care of the switching. If it works it’s definitely the way forward, an automated changer with all the benefits of the comparison sites built in.
    Just had a look at these guys and there is a charge for their service

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    I've gone with Pure Planet. Avro, who I was with previously, were previously the cheapest but no more with September price rises and the end of my deal. Couldn't find a cheaper dual-fuel deal myself.
    Interesting, thanks for the reply - I had been looking at fixed deals which Pure Planet do not offer. They charge current wholesale rates for Gas & Electricity and make their money from a membership fee for each supply. They can't do Econ. 7 but that isn't an issue for us. More homework required.

I switched to SO Energy last year and they have been cheap. Their electricity is all from renewable sources so you can be smug about saving the world too.

Master
    I use money saving expert and his ‘big switch’ deal which is currently on again. Just gone for an 18 month deal so it covers 2 winters with green network energy. The reviews on them were quite good compared to others.

FWIW a couple of colleagues are with octopus and said the service was good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I use money saving expert and his ‘big switch’ deal which is currently on again. Just gone for an 18 month deal so it covers 2 winters with green network energy. The reviews on them were quite good compared to others.

FWIW a couple of colleagues are with octopus and said the service was good.
    'Big Switch' ? Is that the same as joining their 'Energy Saving Club' (which I have), or am I on the wrong site? Thanks

Have just used Money Saving Expert and will switch to their deal with AVRO. Previously had a MSE 2yr deal with Flow Energy.

Journeyman
    Just moved from Avro. They used to offer a good dual fuel deal. We continuously overpaid them based on their original estimate and when trying to get them to adjust our monthly direct debit they wouldn’t respond. Trying to get hold of them via phone was impossible and they ignored all emails via their website. Resorted to twitter to get any sort of help. Like all things, when things goes well they were fine (it’s the same gas/electric as any supplier after all) but couldn’t recommend them based on my current experience.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Our E.ON 12 month deal is up next month and the new deal they offered is an increase of 36%! So, started the comparison checks process. It's a nightmare because every time you think you have found a good deal and then check reviews of the supplier you get disheartened by -ve comments. One supplier. Octopus, comes out quite well, although they have some poor feedback from customers of a Co. that failed and they took over after being appointed by Ofgem as 'Supplier of last resort' (look it up) Has anybody switched to them, and if so, would you vouch for them? Thanks
    I’ve switched my parents to octopus
    Very impressed
    I say I switched.... they took over the firm that went bust

Their service has been v good

Master
    Ive taken a punt on Yorkshire Energy as it was a decent 12 mth fixed price plus no exit fees. As they are pretty new we will see how it goes. They seem ok so far from what I have researched. Based on the other energy thread they were set up by a business associate of someone on here. Not that that necessarily means anything :-)

IRESA to Octopus

I was with IRESA for about 10 months before they stopped trading, selected on basis of price and 12-month contract. Octopus stepped in and were very slick taking over. Their portal is easy to use (I read my meters every month) and they are at present cheaper than IRESA was!! The flavour of gas & electricity remains unchanged and there were no disruption.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Ive taken a punt on Yorkshire Energy as it was a decent 12 mth fixed price plus no exit fees. As they are pretty new we will see how it goes. They seem ok so far from what I have researched. Based on the other energy thread they were set up by a business associate of someone on here. Not that that necessarily means anything :-)

I am with them as well - nothing to say - very easy - just fill in my meter readings and pay...

Energy supplier change

I’ve been very happy since I moved from NPower to Bulb in the last few months. It’s been nice to make some easy money with the £50 referral scheme they do also, they all add up. Bulbs been cheaper than what I was paying and it’s Green which is a plus. If anyone is thinking of going Bulb and got any questions about it let me know and I’ll share my referral link too :)

They pay your exit fees too if you have any.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth.hayes View Post
    I’ve been very happy since I moved from NPower to Bulb in the last few months. It’s been nice to make some easy money with the £50 referral scheme they do also, they all add up. Bulbs been cheaper than what I was paying and it’s Green which is a plus. If anyone is thinking of going Bulb and got any questions about it let me know and I’ll share my referral link too :)

Comparing prices at the moment, you need to be very careful to be looking at like-for-like.

Bulb are putting up gas prices by 33%!! on 11 November! I'm sure others have increased or plan increases but don't get caught moving and then finding you have an increase a few weeks in.

EDIT: Just done a quick check and White Rose and Great North Fixed deals are better for me than the incoming increase with Bulb (which is a variable tariff). They'd save me c15%
    Last edited by David_D; 30th September 2018 at 22:31. Reason: Added

Journeyman
    We changed from EON to a fixed deal with Solarplicity at the end of May.
    Price is about £18 a month less than the tariff than Eon put me on ( their best tariff)

The couple of times I needed to contact them has been pretty poor. hanging on the phone for ages.
    Eon wasn't much better.
    I've never yet found a energy provider with decent customer services and I've tried a few

I'm with Octopus and have found them great, no issues at all and the switch was very smooth, just entering details on their site and them doing the rest including contacting your current supplier.

The app is very simple to use and whenever you enter a reading they send you a bill within 24 hours.

If you do go with them, make sure you get a referral as both yourself and the person who referred you will receive £50.

If you want my referral code just send me a PM, I wont post on here as I'm not sure on the rules of this. I'm happy to donate my £50 to the fundraiser.

Paul.