closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RMSD now a two day service?

RMSD now a two day service?

Sent a watch a few weeks ago, and it too two days to arrive. So I reclaimed the postage and forgot about it. But my daughter then sent her watch to Brendan and the same thing happened. And, to my surprise, the same has happened on the way back - Brendan sent it on Thursday morning and it looks like it will actually be delivered today.

Seems like an odd coincidence. Just wondered, is this a common experience now? Not all bad if so - it's free insured postage after all - but not so good for RM shareholders...

Owl1
    I got a choice yesterday for 2 day or next day RMSD , it was £10. 60 for next day for just a letter .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    I got a choice yesterday for 2 day or next day RMSD , it was £10. 60 for next day for just a letter .
    That is because yesterday was Friday, they charge extra for guaranteed Saturday delivery and always have. The alternatives you were given were presumably Saturday or Monday delivery, there is no Sunday service.

Master
    I've posted many watches on Friday for next working day delivery and they always seem to get delivered Saturday anyway.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Privatisation. The service is gradually deteriorating.

There is no change to the RMSD conditions on the RM website.

I sent 2 parcels Friday week before last (not paying the Saturday premium which was quite a but more) and one arrived in Scotland on the Saturday morning and the other with Brendon on Monday morning.

I think a lot of people won't be bothered to claim the money back?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The service is gradually deteriorating.
    This is generally true, although more relevant to normal mail than RMSD.
    I have definitely noticed more RMSD parcels taking 2 days, although I would still say that the vast majority arrive the next day before 1pm.
    Where we struggle, is that items can be delivered by 3 different posties during a day, depending on what is arriving. For example, some RMSD arrive with a Postie purely delivering them. Our ‘normal’ post can arrive any time between 1100 and 1730! Average time is about 1500. Long gone are the days when I could set my watch by the letter box at 0700
    Again, from what I am witnessing, the Royal Mail appear to have a huge problem keeping hold of staff. We had the same postie for years, but have now had 5 in 9 months.
    It has also been mentioned, that the Royal Mail is negotiating with the Union, to get staff starting later, and all deliveries will be in the afternoon.

I do not work for the Royal Mail!

Without the premium there is no guarantee a parcel posted by RMSD on a Friday will arrive on a Saturday. It may do and often does, but Monday is also legitimately possible. If you pay the extra, then they stick round yellow ‘SG’ (Saturday Guaranteed) stickers on your parcel.

I recently sent an RMSD package to a fellow member mid-week and it took two days to arrive, it's the first time I'd ever experienced that in all the years of using the service.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    Without the premium there is no guarantee a parcel posted by RMSD on a Friday will arrive on a Saturday. It may do and often does, but Monday is also legitimately possible. If you pay the extra, then they stick round yellow ‘SG’ (Saturday Guaranteed) stickers on your parcel.
    This is definitely my understanding.
    Credit where credit is due, every RMSD I have posted on a Friday (without SG) has arrived on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    This is definitely my understanding.
    Credit where credit is due, every RMSD I have posted on a Friday (without SG) has arrived on Saturday.
    The extra used to be a couple of quid but is considerably more now I believe.

What time were they posted?

Only ask as maybe they have changed the cut off point which I believe used to be 4pm after that it wasn’t classed as being in the attempt to the next working day (if that makes sense)

Journeyman
    I find any RMSD items posted on a Monday can take two days. On a Friday RM have managed to deliver next day without paying the extra fee. First class Mail is hit or miss on 1-2 days.

Do they no longer do guaranteed next day before 9 or 12 anymore then?

We send a few hundred specials every week and it’s incredibly rare for them to be delivered late. Can’t remember the last time it happened off the top of my head. Our RM collection from our warehouse is 6pm.

With regards to Saturday deliveries, as far as I’m aware the only specials they don’t attempt to deliver are those to a business address. In nearly 10 years we have never paid the Saturday upgrade fee, and items sent on a Friday have always arrived on the Saturday regardless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    We send a few hundred specials every week and it’s incredibly rare for them to be delivered late. Can’t remember the last time it happened off the top of my head. Our RM collection from our warehouse is 6pm.

With regards to Saturday deliveries, as far as I’m aware the only specials they don’t attempt to deliver are those to a business address. In nearly 10 years we have never paid the Saturday upgrade fee, and items sent on a Friday have always arrived on the Saturday regardless.
    Yep, the business I work for sends and receives hundreds of RMSD packs a year without any noticeable deterioration in service in the past 5 years and I can't think of a single instance of a lost pack but why let overwhelming data get in the way of anecdotes and scaremongering ;-)
    Last edited by Padders; 6th October 2018 at 09:52.

If you're sending hundreds a week, how would you know if any were delivered late unless a customer informed you?

Master
    You can use tracking to see if packs are delivered on time. We do.

Part of the surcharge is due to VAT on Saturday delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    You can use tracking to see if packs are delivered on time. We do.
    Blimey. What system do you use to check? Must be quite a big task if you're checking hundreds of parcels every week?

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    That is because yesterday was Friday, they charge extra for guaranteed Saturday delivery and always have. The alternatives you were given were presumably Saturday or Monday delivery, there is no Sunday service.
    Oh ..right... ye this was the choice .

Master
    Blog Entries
    All the RMSD's I've sent or received over the past few years have arrived on time -and on Saturday in the case of one's sent on Friday (without paying for the Saturday delivery).

This week I ordered some bar risers for my 'bike on Monday afternoon and selected the free option 'second class, signed for' - they arrived Tuesday morning!

I had two ebay watch sales arrive at least a day late on RMSD. I think I sent them both on a early Saturday morning on a Bank Holiday weekend and one arrived on Wednesday and the other Thursday.
    I apologised to the ebay buyers as I had been tracking progress (or lack of it)
    I therefore claimed back compensation through the RM website - here is the link

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/..._claims_IVR_01

I actually got all my postage back in both cases !! But then I could have been left bad feedback for slow delivery ???

Craftsman
    I just received a watch from Watchfinder, which was posted RMSD and took 2 days to arrive.

I sent a watch to them on a Friday, didn't pay for Saturday delivery, but low and behold it arrived on the Saturday.

Master
    Most if not all central London Post Office counters last acceptance time for RMSD is 5:15pm weekday and 11:45am on a Saturday.

If posted in central London the item will be transported to Mount Pleasant Mail Centre to be processed/sorted and hopefully on the vehicle by 10pm (8pm on Saturday) for the final UK despatch for guarantee next day delivery.

Delays are usually due to mis-sorting the item (put into the wrong destination container or container put onto the wrong vehicle), vehicle breakdown, road traffic accidents and/or weather conditions (mainly planes).

The items arrive at the destination mail centre to be processed/sorted again and despatch to the local delivery office by 6am.

Master
    Received an RMSD package yesterday that was sent on Friday without extra payment for Saturday. I have had one instance of delayed delivery by a day, but otherwise always in the day. One thing I have noticed though is my RMSD deliveries used to come before 8am almost without fail and now the majority of them are closer to midday. I think a sign that the processing speed has taken a hit

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    Sent a watch a few weeks ago, and it too two days to arrive. So I reclaimed the postage and forgot about it. But my daughter then sent her watch to Brendan and the same thing happened. And, to my surprise, the same has happened on the way back - Brendan sent it on Thursday morning and it looks like it will actually be delivered today.

Seems like an odd coincidence. Just wondered, is this a common experience now? Not all bad if so - it's free insured postage after all - but not so good for RM shareholders...

Similar experience on watch sent to Brendan,I think it’s down to where he lives.

That's because they charge VAT on the Saturday delivery part of the charge or perhaps they charge VAT on the lot if you select Saturday Guaranteed? It's a long time since I used Saturday Guaranteed so I forget exactly how it works.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

If you're sending hundreds a week, how would you know if any were delivered late unless a customer informed you?
    We can run reports in our online Royal Mail account, which we can also do for standard tracked services.

When someone is paying £7 for next day delivery, you bet they’ll tell us if it doesn’t arrive on time - and they’ll make a scene about it.

We keep an eye on the reports because we get a refund on every item that isn’t delivered the next day - I was going to say it’s essentially free money but it’s not, because we obviously have to refund the customer concerned anyway.

Master
    We can run reports in our online Royal Mail account, which we can also do for standard tracked services.

When someone is paying £7 for next day delivery, you bet they’ll tell us if it doesn’t arrive on time - and they’ll make a scene about it.

We keep an eye on the reports because we get a refund on every item that isn’t delivered the next day - I was going to say it’s essentially free money but it’s not, because we obviously have to refund the customer concerned anyway.
    Ditto, to all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    That's because they charge VAT on the Saturday delivery part of the charge or perhaps they charge VAT on the lot if you select Saturday Guaranteed? It's a long time since I used Saturday Guaranteed so I forget exactly how it works.

Eddie
    I was told by my local PO that if you posted normal RMSD on a Friday to a Residential address it would get delivered Saturday, but business addresses would always be delivered on the Monday.
    Don't know if this still true now though?

Grand Master
    Privatisation. The service is gradually deteriorating.
    Disagree. I use RMSD frequently and the only time I’ve had a problem was a delivery close to Christmas that took two days instead of one. It ended up at the wrong sorting office in Cardiff. Considering the excellent service I’ve had over the years I didn’t feel inclined to claim.

I’ve posted lots of watches out on Friday, they don’t guarantee Sat delivery unless you pay extra, but in every case the watch has arrived on Saturday without paying to guarantee it.

Possibly some remote locations get a slightly worse service? I still think its good value for money but I wish they’d put the insurance limit up!

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I was told by my local PO that if you posted normal RMSD on a Friday to a Residential address it would get delivered Saturday, but business addresses would always be delivered on the Monday.
    Don't know if this still true now though?
    See my post above, I post freqeuntly to residential addresses, I don’t pay for guaranteed Sat delivery but invariably they always arrive on Saturday!