closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice please for first time potential Rolex buyer!

Advice please for first time potential Rolex buyer!

Looking at a Sea Dweller or Submariner.

Ok, some random thoughts of where I'm coming from and what my 'needs' would be....

First thought; not a fan of the look of the cyclops, so a SD is what I need to look at,but then, do I really need a date as I have other watches that will be more daily wearers and a Rolex for other occasions.

My health is far from good, so comfort is a primary requirement, including the weight of the watch. I was collecting a watch from Duncan (the watch bloke) the other day who kindly let me try on his 16600 SD. I liked the size(previous Pelagos a little large) and the weight was ok I though(approx 147g). I did have a steel 8500 PO a little while back but found that too heavy.

Having been doing some research today, the option of a non-date Sub also came up as a 14060 would be a little lighter than the (16600) SD. Having said that,during the research, the Sub C came into view as well and I like some of the updates!...glide-lock looks like a good idea, as does the mores solid bracelet and I like the look of the dial too with the larger markers, not so keen on the larger crown guards and lug thickness though!...but at approx 160g, maybe a little heavy ideally.

Also important to me would be 'minimum bling' – my eyes are sensitive to light and reflections can trigger migraine attacks for me, so the least reflections I'm likely to get off it the better – a matt dial was another feature I'd read about!

Lastly, due to aforementioned ill-health I'm not able to work, so, if push comes to shove and resale is required at some point in the future, holding it's value would be good, not something I believe should be an issue with a Rolex diver, but are there any specific things I should looking for?...B&P, non-polished, non service dial/hands etc.

Any advise greatly received and if there any very kind folks out there that may be able to help me with 'hands-on' experience of the models I've mentioned,that would be great and very much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Martin

How about some mint 5513?

Hi Martin.

I’m certainly no expert but have had both the SubC and the 14060 on my wrist. I found for myself the SubC was a lot larger and the Lugs actually overhung my 7’ wrist. I found it too heavy and a lot more blingy than the 14060. The 14060 for me is the perfect size and is a weight I just don’t notice. At first the rattle in the bracelet drove me mad and I wasn’t convinced I took it off tried leather and NATO yet still came back to the bracelet all the time. Now I see the bracelet as one of the most comfy I have. The 14060 is constantly rising in price so on that aspect for you it’s a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a 14060, it is light and comfortable. I also have a Seadweller which whilst a bit heavier is still extremely comfortable. I thought I hated the cyclops until a got a LV, I think a 4 or 5 digit sub date looks the business, don’t rule it out completely until you’ve tried one.

Master
    I would get a 16600. Very comfortable to wear and bullet proof construction. Prices have yet to really push on with them and if you get a nice complete set it will be very easy to sell on if needed whilst offering the prospect of a value increase.

Master
    As a 14060M wearer Im biased, but my watch just disappears when Im wearing it. The noisy ( I agree ) bracelet is just so comfy it just does its job, there is no rattle when you wear it. The only time I become aware of the watch is when working on DIY type tasks and Im scared of scraping / marking it, So I just take it off.

As a watch to look at and admire I feel you will have to try hard to beat the 14060 / 5513 simplistic classic look. I love mine and am looking for another for my son.

Steve

Craftsman
    I have a 114060 and find it very comfortable and not too heavy.

When I was looking I also didn't like the cyclops, which is why I felt this was the right choice for me. Having said that, the cyclops doesn't bother me as much as it used to and maybe one day I will get another model. But for now, I am very happy with the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I would get a 16600. Very comfortable to wear and bullet proof construction. Prices have yet to really push on with them and if you get a nice complete set it will be very easy to sell on if needed whilst offering the prospect of a value increase.
    Good advice !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    ^^ This. I was going to reply but this is pretty much word for word what i was going to type! They don’t wear big, are a classic shape, don’t have the bling of the ceramic and I can only see values rising in the longer term.....

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Have you checked the 116600 - maybe not so easy to get hold of. If you can get to central London you are most welcome to try mine on. Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    ^^ This. I was going to reply but this is pretty much word for word what i was going to type! They don’t wear big, are a classic shape, don’t have the bling of the ceramic and I can only see values rising in the longer term.....

Same here and I believe they still have room to rise in value

Master
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps the grey dial Oyster is worth trying on?

Master
    Another vote for the no-date Sub from me.

I'm only 2-3years into no date watches, used to think a date was absolutely essential. That was until my near 50 year old eyesight degraded enough to render a dated watch an irrelevance in my case.

My 2 line 14060m is perfect, arguably THE most perfect iteration of the Submariner line for those of us for whom vintage is less than desirable in an everyday watch.

To be honest, I haven't noticed any excessive bracelet rattle on mine and it's a far more manageable size than the supercase models.

You really can't go wrong with a ne a f them.

Master
    I have a Sub C 114060 and don’t find it heavy. Doesn’t look big on my 7” wrist. Very comfortable in all conditions, thanks to glidelock. Completely brushed bracelet means less bling/reflection. I suggest you give it a try if you can find one, perhaps at a grey dealer. If it is a July 2015 or later watch, it will have a 5 year warranty which is a big plus.

The explorer or white dial OP39 would also be good options for legibility. I think the explorer would probably be better for value retention short term if either were bought new though.

Many thanks for all the replies chaps

Craftsman
    5513 - Matt Dial, unfortunately you'll pay a premium these days but a great watch nonetheless.

Journeyman

Advice please for first time potential Rolex buyer!

The older 5-digit Rolex dive watches and the current 6-digit ones are so different in terms of size, weight, finish etc that they almost feel like totally unrelated watches. I would try and spend a bit of time with both before making a decision.

I have a SubC and enjoy it a lot, it’s pretty much the perfect daily watch for me. Great legibility, comfort and build quality.

Master
    If you’re looking for something less blingy I’d be going for the 14060 or 5513.

I traded my 114060 a while back as I found it wore too big and shouted bling.

Good luck in the search

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Have you checked the 116600 - maybe not so easy to get hold of. If you can get to central London you are most welcome to try mine on. Martyn.
    Thanks very much for the offer Martyn, but travel is difficult, so not something that would be easy to do unfortunately.

I think the SD4000 (is that right/) would probably be too heavy anyway though!
    Last edited by wadsy; 29th October 2018 at 18:03.

It would be good to get 'hands-on' to compare if anyone more local-ish to me is able to help?

Master
    Martin, I have a ref 16800 Submariner matte dial, I changed the crystal for a non-cyclops version. This might be worth considering too. You lose the stuck-on magnifying glass without having to take on the thicker case of the SD.

I’d like to thank the anti-cyclops crowd at tz-uk for indoctrinating me. My GMT lies unworn these days & the Explorer II got the chop a fortnight ago.

Master
    I nearly bought a matte dial 16800 a while back but passed on it as I couldn't get to see it in person first and it ended up with a member on here. I thought then it was a nice blend of modern vintage and a little overlooked. I still want one...
    The 16600 is also a good shout, bit weighty but feels more solid than heavy when on the wrist.

Journeyman
    5513 or 14060