closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Day Date 40

Master

The Day Date 40

It doesn't appear often on TZ, partly because it's expensive, but mainly, I think, because it's not a 'sports' watch. In fact, even after all,these years, and updates, it's still 'essence of the 1950s'..

So, very conservatively styled, especially in this version...which is one of many options. The stick dial seems less crowded than the versions using Roman numerals numerals.
    A lot if people like that green....but the crowded dial wasn't for me. I did like the silver dial..
    However, the extra contrast of rhodium won the day...but only after months of changing my mind all the time. One of the nicest bits is the Presidential bracelet, with the hidden clasp.
    But the price you pay for that elegance is a loss of adjustability' there isn't any. It either fits, or you have to play about with the links. And if you need extra links, the cost would make your eyes water.
    Fortunately, it fits me well, so that's ok, although I have yet to encounter a hot day. The three-part bracelet 'drapes' nicely round the wrist. Despite the lack of adjustability I'd say it is the company's best effort, in looks anyway.
    This watch seems to bring-up classic debates; it depreciates badly, even if you can get a discount (I got 10%). If you sell, you take a big, big, hit. And second-hand, I couldn't get the exact spec. Probably because white gold is less popular. But, it's like holidays or good meals, you have to pay to have fun. You do it, or you don't.

Why the white gold? Because I like it, simple as that. And it flies under the radar. And why the Day Date? Because, dated as the design certainly is, it still seems to me the very essence of Rolex. And, best of all, it feels good on the wrist.
    I had to sell some lovely watches to afford this; down from twelve watches to three. Was it worth it ? Too late to ask that now.....it's a ridiculous amount of money on a watch, but you only live once. And I spent twenty years wearing a Seiko Kinetic, which was also a fine watch......
    One tedious drawback, I have to store it in a good safe, and just installed a new alarm. Which is a bit of a drag. But these days.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 28th October 2018 at 17:03.

A classic. And quality over quantity is definitely better.

Master
    That's a lovely watch, I would love to own one.

What a lovely watch and I think they're at the pinnacle of the Rolex models. The 40mm size is more in keeping with the expectations of today's buyer. My favourite is the platinum ice, which I think is at 36mm. Only chance for me to own one is after the lottery ticket comes in.

Great review & write up thank you. Lovely watch. Still miss my 18238, one of those regrets in life! The quality even on my girl was superb compared to most of the sports Rollies of that era. Not sure if I could carry the 40 off though!
    Last edited by Snoodles; 28th October 2018 at 14:45.

A very interesting write up. Thanks for your post.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Very nice watch. And looks good in white gold.

Master
    Looks great Peter! Congrats!

Love that and i’m very envious. If ever I was to go large and play with PM that white gold, rhodium and stick dial is where I think my money would go. I’m not sure it flies under the radar though, as I know that bracelet pops in the sun and shouts rolex.....but I know what you mean in comparison to yellow or rose gold.

They certainly feel extra special on the wrist. Congratulations, quite a journey in consolidation to this one.

Love the white gold models. If I could afford one I would have one. The day date is the quintessential Rolex for me. The submariner might be amazing and more affordable with lots of adjustment and James bond might have worn one but ignoring cost the day date is the Rolex to have imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Thank for posting this.Ive been deliberating on and off the last couple of years which DD to go for.I had the 36mm 118238 and always thought that the classic size so really need to try a 40mm.
    Im leaning towards the YG champagne stick dial but having just been put on the list for a PP we’ll have to see if that pans out.
    Curious that you think the DD depreciates badly as looking around it seems impossible to pick up a used 40mm for less than 20k?

Craig

Craftsman
    Congrats on the watch, I have a DD on my 2019 list.

Lovely watch Peter. Congratulations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Love that......

They certainly feel extra special on the wrist. Congratulations, quite a journey in consolidation to this one.
    Well, as you know, the DJ 41mm with Jubilee bracelet comes surprisingly close in visual appeal. It's one impressive watch. In fact, it had me hesitating for quite a while...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Well, as you know, the DJ 41mm with Jubilee bracelet comes surprisingly close in visual appeal. It's one impressive watch. In fact, it had me hesitating for quite a while...
    I do like your pick-up Peter. I thought I read somewhere you were cutting back your watches though? (joke)

- I had a quick look at online images - the DJ41 on Jubilee - has similarities but your's has a certain class to it!

Congratulations on your purchase.

Martyn

Master
    In the land of ex pat Spain you see loads of old men hobbling along with a whacking great big gold Dayjust or Datejust on their wrist. Out here they are as common as muck and easily identifiable with the chunky bracelet, serrated bezel and the ever obvious cyclops. I have seen two today when having lunch in a restaurant.

A Dayjust is an expensive watch, so why not go for something like a PP which does not cost much more, will hold its value better, be a lot more discreet and make you less likely to be mugged.

Having said all that, I have to agree that the Dayjust is a rather sexy watch.
    Last edited by Mick P; 29th October 2018 at 00:16.

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    Thank for posting this.Ive been deliberating on and off the last couple of years which DD to go for.I had the 36mm 118238 and always thought that the classic size so really need to try a 40mm. Craig
    The 36mm was my grail watch for many years and I was very fortunate to have the pleasure wearing one.
    My initial favourite combination, was stick baton on a chamapange dial with of course the president bracelet with concealed clasp. Later on I updated it to the 118238 and went with the white dial, as it had, IMO, better legibility.
    Another hindsight regret not keeping it!!

Peter, that is a beautiful watch, with a nice bit of weight, enjoy it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I do like your pick-up Peter. I thought I read somewhere you were cutting back your watches though? (joke)

Martyn
    I really have cut back. I needed the money. So now I'm at three watches, the DD40, a Daytona and a Glashutte Original. And I hope to stay at three.
    The one watch I truly miss is the SD43mm, I really bonded with that. But....it had to go. Such is life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    In the land of ex pat Spain you see loads of old men hobbling along with a whacking great big gold Dayjust or Datejust on their wrist. Out here they are as common as muck and easily identifiable with the chunky bracelet, serrated bezel and the ever obvious cyclops. I have seen two today when having lunch in a restaurant.

A Dayjust is an expensive watch, so why not go for something like a PP which does not cost much more, will hold its value better, be a lot more discreet and make you less likely to be mugged.

Having said all that, I have to agree that the Dayjust is a rather sexy watch.
    It's a testament to the brand's amazing strength that it's seen as the perfect retirement watch for anyone from a CEO to a taxi driver.

That said, was back in Asia recently and could barely move for Rolex sports models. As good as the watches are, there's nothing like familiarity/ubiquity to breed contempt, as well as, annoyingly, a nagging desire to have one ;)

Master
    Congratulations and I agree with everything you said, having just become the new owner of Wayne’s 41mm DD President I was very surprised how comfortable such a hefty lump feels once on the wrist, beautiful design and the bracelet is in another league. The white gold is beautiful but assists in toning it down a little without loosing the WOW factor. Many Congrats.

Absolutely agree with everything you said Peter, and even in RG & Green I think there's a certain 'under statement' to the DD40...

Love mine...

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Absolutely agree with everything you said Peter, and even in RG & Green I think there's a certain 'under statement' to the DD40...

Love mine...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Congratulations and I agree with everything you said, having just become the new owner of Wayne’s 41mm DD President I was very surprised how comfortable such a hefty lump feels once on the wrist, beautiful design and the bracelet is in another league. The white gold is beautiful but assists in toning it down a little without loosing the WOW factor. Many Congrats.
    Brilliant, that looks lovely. Good buy I think. Perhaps there's a small group of Day Date owners on TZ, although they tend to fly under the radar. Spuds is another member, with the striking green version. Any more out there? Some 36mm would be nice.
    Last edited by paskinner; 29th October 2018 at 14:08.

Lovely watch, great review. Thank you and congrats!

Master
    Still prefer the 36 over the larger models, some of the elegance is lost IMO

Any more out there?

Aye

This is a terrible photo but really highlights the tones of the bracelet.

Master
    Waynes ex watch.

Last edited by bobdog; 29th October 2018 at 23:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Aye

Love that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Waynes ex watch.
    ...and seriously considered flipping my Blue Sub' for that!!

Craftsman
    Fantastic watch. Rose gold with choc Roman dial is my favourite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP - lovely Spec - and about as understated as you can get in a DD

I did own for a little while the white gold, 36mm blue faced version on leather strap that Kash sold at Christmas time to Tony & I bought it from Tony. I had to try the DD and that Spec was also lovely and with the leather strap also understated. However the 36mm was too small for my wrist and I sold it to another TZ'er to enjoy

I definitely think stick dial is the way to go with this model.

I've not quite killed the interest and the 40mm may be the answer ....and your thread is not helping !!

Journeyman
    Looking wonderful- after getting my first Rolex I’m considering a day date and see what you mean regarding the Roman numeral version making the dial a little fussy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmason View Post
    Looking wonderful- after getting my first Rolex I’m considering a day date and see what you mean regarding the Roman numeral version making the dial a little fussy

Yep it does but looks wonderful when the light hits it, much better in the flesh than my rubbish pics.

Craftsman
    Good write up this. Definitely a grown up watch for grown ups!

Master
    I’ve wanted a day date for years but always bail at the price.

Hands down the best rolex you can get for me.

Craftsman
    Love the Day Date 40, and thank you for sharing.

My favorite must be the gold with the green face.

Aye

This is a terrible photo but really highlights the tones of the bracelet.

That is absolutely stunning.
    Love the second photo.

Brilliant, that looks lovely. Good buy I think. Perhaps there's a small group of Day Date owners on TZ, although they tend to fly under the radar. Spuds is another member, with the striking green version. Any more out there? Some 36mm would be nice.
    I have a 36mm 118206 with the ice blue arabic wave dial. I tried the 40mm DD, but it seemed huge even though I wear a 42mm Seiko with no problems. Also I thought the proportions of the 40mm seemed a little unfamiliar. I don't think I could carry off any yellow gold DD, especially with the fluted bezel which catches the light and sparkles.

Anyway, I had seen a WG DD with the darker blue arabic wave some years back and liked the dial and domed bezel, so when I saw this platinum example, I plumped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master

The Day Date 40

Now that's rather special, a platinum Day Date. Not many of them about. Interestingly, I got the chance yesterday to compare my 40mm gold version with a nice old 36mm in yellow gold. I didn't feel they were very different in size, possibly because the fluted bezel is what captures the eye. Although the smooth bezel on the platinum version is lovely. Apparently, it's smooth because Rolex can't cut a sharp bezel in platinum.
    I think even the 40mm version is visually similar in size to, say, a Daytona. Which is not a big watch by current standards.
    Actually, looking at 'spuds' example, above, (seriously yummy bunch of watches), the DD40 is smaller than the Daytona.
    Last edited by paskinner; 1st November 2018 at 18:04.

Spot on Peter....

in this side by side shot the DD40 looks almost small by comparison to the other 40mm's....

Now that's rather special, a platinum Day Date. Not many of them about. Interestingly, I got the chance yesterday to compare my 40mm gold version with a nice old 36mm in yellow gold. I didn't feel they were very different in size, possibly because the fluted bezel is what captures the eye. Although the smooth bezel on the platinum version is lovely. Apparently, it's smooth because Rolex can't cut a sharp bezel in platinum.
    I think even the 40mm version is visually similar in size to, say, a Daytona. Which is not a big watch by current standards.
    Thanks for the compliment. I agree it's probably the eye-catching fluted bezel which makes the 40mm DD seem bigger than it actually is. I have three other steel sports Rolex models, all 40mm, and they seem to wear OK, as well as the 42mm Orange Monster (the black DLC version). The Seiko has much shorter lugs, which definitely aid wearability.

Anyway, the DD in any guise is a very fine watch, although in platinum it's super-heavy, which takes a bit of getting used to!

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I have a 36mm 118206 with the ice blue arabic wave dial. I tried the 40mm DD, but it seemed huge even though I wear a 42mm Seiko with no problems. Also I thought the proportions of the 40mm seemed a little unfamiliar. I don't think I could carry off any yellow gold DD, especially with the fluted bezel which catches the light and sparkles.

Anyway, I had seen a WG DD with the darker blue arabic wave some years back and liked the dial and domed bezel, so when I saw this platinum example, I plumped.

Love the dial on that Holsterman, any more pic’s?

Love the dial on that Holsterman, any more pic’s?
    Thanks spuds. The dial is stunning, as is the watch.

It took me about half an hour to resize and generally mess around with the last one before I gave up. How do you post photos so they actually show in the post? It's not intuitive on this forum!

Here is another unsuccessful attempt.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/167789...posted-public/

Stunning watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    although in platinum it's super-heavy, which takes a bit of getting used to!
    Do you know the actual weight of it?

Here's the weight breakdown of the DD40. All links included.

I love this kinda stuff, how it all breaks down.

Here's some interesting (to me) shots of how they save on gold.

Stunning watch!

I love this kinda stuff, how it all breaks down.

Here's some interesting (to me) shots of how they save on gold.

Tight bastards I didn't expect to see that!!!!

Tight bastards I didn't expect to see that!!!!
    Me neither. That’s quite embarrassing actually.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Looks to me like this cut in the case is to make space for the spring bar rather saving weight.

Quote Originally Posted by erics View Post
    Looks to me like this cut in the case is to make space for the spring bar rather saving weight.
    I don't think that's the reason?

But it could be to 'lock' the endlink in place?

Stunning watch!

Thanks, it's a great piece of design which has stood the test of time. It's 214g (versus 133g for my old Sub Date!). Both sized for my wrist, so a couple of links removed from each watch.

Wearing something else right now and it feels like nothing in comparison.

Master
    According to the stats mine weighs in at 220 grams but it is the 41mm version. Initially it feels quite hefty but soon melts into the wrist and feels superb, the platinum version must be impressive as I think that comes in at 268grams if memory serves me right.

Master
    Just had a wander outside for lunch and saw examples of a few of these in some of the local dealers.

Eff'ing hell!!!!!! Hadn't realised that these go for Eur30k+ nowadays ...