closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: As Promised - My Collection

As Promised - My Collection

Firstly, please accept, in advance, my apologies for any spelling/typing/grammatical errors.

The first watch I remember having was left to me by my grandfather in his will. It is a 9ct Tudor Royal which he bought in 1959. It survived my teenage years (unlike my Sekonda/Strela chrono) and I still have it, the box and original receipt. At 32mm it is very small for modern tastes and doesn’t get much wrist time.

The first “quality” watch I bought was my quartz, mid-sized, pre-Bond Omega diver. I was chuffed to bits with it at the time (though irritated that the second hand didn’t line up with the markers). It still keeps remarkably good time, but is a bit small on the wrist by modern standards

My interest in watches was, by then, beginning to grow, and my next purchase was my Oris “Radius” in the mid 1990’s. This was as close as I could get to a gold dress watch (Tudor Royal aside), as the bezel is gold (“precious yellow metal” in the UK in the absence of hallmark!). I always admired the champagne dial and cathedral handset

The Oris Chronometer was an impulse buy from a watch outlet shop which used to exist at Gretna in the mid 90’s. I fancied the idea of a chronometer, it had an attractively decorated movement and I liked the blued hands and indices and the 9 o’clock sub-dial. I was also a fan of Oris, hence the impulse purchase. It was fairly small (35mm) and the bracelet was quite “fussy” which didn’t really work in hindsight. However, I think that putting it on a plain NATO has much improved its looks and consequently it now gets a reasonable amount of wrist time.

By the late 1990’s/2000 I was a confirmed WIS (though I wasn’t familiar with the acronym at that time) and watch purchases increased at slightly worrying rate. I liked the idea of a chronograph, so my next purchase was the Omega Automatic Speedmaster Chronograph. This introduced me to the 7750 movement, which I much admire.

My first Longines was the Conquest Heritage Chronograph which I spied, sometime in the late 90’s, in the ArgylI Arcade in Glasgow in a sale in WOS at what seemed a very reasonable £600. I was fascinated with the idea of a moon-phase and the triple date complication. I still think that it is a very elegant iteration of the 7751 movement and it gets plenty of wrist time.

My next watch was a gift from my wife for my 50th Birthday. The Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Cinq Aiguilles appealed because of the intriguing “5 hands” complication and really nicely decorated movement. In reality my aging eyesight struggled with so many sliver hands on a silver face! New varifocal specs sorted that to some extent.

The “Great White” was yet another impulse buy! I was passing Laings in the Argyll Arcade when I saw it in their pre-owned section. I fell in love and bought it there and then (I think it was still warm from the original owner!). I think it is a great looking watch, gets a lot of wrist time and it always accompanies me when I travel abroad.

My job increasingly involved trips to the City of London. There I discovered the (sadly now gone) Walker and Hall outlet shop in Stone House Lane (?) off Leadenhall Street. For several days I hummed and hawed between purchasing a SS Zenith triple date/moon phase El Primero or the 18ct Longines ETA 2894/2 based chronograph. Clearly I chose the Longines which I really like and wear a lot but…. I do sometimes wonder if I made the right decision. A recent service for the Longines, however, confirmed in my mind I’d made the right decision. I hate to think what a service for the Zenith would have cost.

Around 2013 I discovered Timefactors. I was rather taken with the PRS 3 GMT. I have a friend with the IWC Mk. XII and I thought the PRS 3 compared very favourably quality wise and certainly in the value for money department. I had discovered the joys of a micro brand and several further purchases followed.

My wife bought me the PRS 82 for Christmas 2013. I think it is one of Eddie’s finest looking watches. He got it spot on with this watch I reckon.

Next was the PRS 9 which I am very pleased to have nabbed just before they sold out (No. 196). It’s a cracking watch with great presence and which pays homage to a watch with a fascinating history.

I bought the PRS 40 as a beater on the basis that if it is good enough for NATO it will be tough enough for me. Again hugely impressed. Very comfortable on the wrist and tough as old boots. I get more comments (from non WIS’s) about the looks of the PRS 40 than any other watch I own!

The PRS 36 was a gift from my company for 20 years of service… shortly before they canned me!
    I really love the simple face blued hands and the nicely decorated Peseux movement.

The Forbes Diver was purchased as a result of a post, on this forum, from Eddie about a Sewills diver he “missed” on e-bay. https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=Sewills

I was very impressed with the lengths they had gone to to avoid it looking just like another Rolex clone, mainly with the use of numbers on the dial rather than just indices. “Lampoc” on that thread highlighted the availability of the Forbes watch.

I’m sure that there must be a story here. Both the Sewills version and the Forbes look identical and have the same “coronet” motif. Of course they were both based in Liverpool (Forbes still is I believe) and I suspect may have got together to brand what looks like O&W Mk1 Divers watch! Anyway its reasonable size (40mm) and depth suit me to a “t”.

Most recent purchases. (Nearly finished!)

I bought the 1963 Seagull after reading about it on this forum. I really like, the supposed history, the retro looks, the colours of the handset and the dial. Mine has a slightly wobbly chrono second hand which puts me off it a bit, though I still wear it. I doubt if it really has much visual similarity with the original although the open “6’s” hark back to its heritage I guess. No lume so I guess PRC pilots’ didn’t fly in the dark?!

I bought the Omega moon watch a couple of years ago when I was made redundant. It was a watch I had coveted for years since I saw one on the wrist of a friend back in the 70’s. It actually took me longer to bond with than expected, but I have to say I now really love it and the history it represents.

The Oris 63 Diver was a watch I liked as soon as I saw it. It still makes me smile every time I look at it! The goofy font is obviously based on the computer readable characters still printed on cheques today! It is a firm favourite and I wear it very regularly.

I thought that the Tudor BB Red was a real beauty from the first time I saw it. When I inherited a small sum of money from my mother a couple of years ago I decided that purchasing the Tudor BB was appropriate, as I had inherited the Tudor Royal from her father 50 years previously. When I purchased it I had the choice of either the older ETA or new in-house model. I decided on balance that although I preferred the look of the ETA model face, the new movement was an improvement on the ubiquitous ETA 2824-2. I’m very happy with that decision I have to say; it keeps neigh-on perfect time. I know the bracelet is a bit “Marmite” but I like the riveted version I think it adds to the vintage look. It has to an extent satisfied the “Submariner” desire.

The Dan Henry is a recent purchase and I am hugely impressed with the value for money and general standard of construction. Sure there are a few rough edges (quality of the casting of the rotating bezel for example and the poor lume) but for £199 including a leather & canvass watch roll, it can’t be beaten! I was also lucky that the one I have has a stonking NH36 movement; very accurate. Love the octopus on the back!

My most recent purchase is the Geckota C-02. The retro look is great, and it seems very well made (lume not good though – in keeping with the period?), and the VK64 keeps perfect time as you would expect from a quartz. The mechanical chrono is very good and feels perfect, but I do wonder if using it effects the battery life? My main issue with it is the 24 hour sub-dial and now sweep seconds…. I don’t really “get that. No doubt I will get used to it.

Theme for my collection? Hmm "vintage look", I guess - even though some weren't "vintage" when I bought them! I didn't plan it that way... it just how it happened!

Well that is it! I don’t think I missed anything. If you have managed to read to the end – well done you deserve a pint!

Best wishes

Alistair

Master
    You owe me a pint !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    You owe me a pint !

You certainly deserve one! (I didn't say I was buying though! )

A

Journeyman
    Some great stories behind these watches and an impressive collection! What's next on your list?

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting really enjoyed the read..some great memories I suspect..

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    Some great stories behind these watches and an impressive collection! What's next on your list?
    Thank you! Well there is one obvious brand omission, but I'm not sure I want to pay the, IMO, crazy 2nd hand prices Rollex command these days. Having said that, I have always had a hankering for an explorer II... We'll have to see (SWMBO would go berserk!)

A

That was a great read with some lovely watches...thanks for posting:)

David

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Thanks for posting really enjoyed the read..some great memories I suspect..
    Thank you. Yes there sure are. Almost every watch I have represents an event or memory of some kind.

Great post and very nice collection

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Your grandfather's Tudor's a lovely piece.

Craftsman
    Enjoyed the read, nice collection n thanks for posting

Great intro Alistair, very well put together with a nice balance of images and engaging text. I like your taste.

. This is possibly the most enjoyable and interesting opening post I've seen in a while on tz. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. It is like a breath of fresh air.

What this forum needs is more contributions from people like yourself and less from bitter cranky jaded feckless backbiting cynical old misanthropes like myself who because they have no real aim or joy left in life behave as if they own the place.

Quote Originally Posted by aamaci View Post
    Firstly, please accept, in advance, my apologies for any spelling/typing/grammatical errors.
    I think you know what you're doing. Your opening line should certainly keep some of the old dogs at bay!

All the best
    BignoseDave
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Love the photos too, nice that it's not just the watches that feature.

Craftsman
    All nice watches. Very nice collection.

You say an explorer two would be a watch you like. That would be the old 40mm case size based on your fondness for vintage?

Nice choice if so, even nicer if the white version.

aamaci
    What a fantastic post, what a great write up of your collection.
    Got to be one of the best posts this year.

Well done and enjoy the forum

A great collection you’ve got there,thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed your interesting chronological write up, and that is an excellent and varied collection. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

That is a lovely collection you have there. I love it when watches have a personal backstory, it makes them so much more precious and interesting for the owner. That's a really nice Great White you have, but the pick of the bunch for me is the Tudor Prince, what a classy piece that is.
    Oh and welcome to being active on the forum from a fellow new lad.
    J

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice collection. I kept scrolling and it kept going and going!

...Well there is one obvious brand omission...

A
    Wasn't obvious to me and I doubt that there were many wondering when a Rolex would appear on your post. That's a very fine collection and I particularly like the Tudor and both Longines, the second one in particular - very classy.

Craftsman
    Great post keep us updated

Very nice collection!

Keep up the good work!

What can one say after that..?

The best SOTC I have seen, obviously would have loved to see the Zenith but WOW ... so many of Eddies in there ;-) it must be hard to choose one but which is your daily favourite?

Got to say I’m loving the Longines Nice collection & love the story behind them.

Lovely collection and a quality introduction to the forum. Congratulations sir

Great collection, I love the Seagull, fascinating piece.

What a lovely collection and write up.

Just a quick question - have you kept every watch you’ve bought?

Great collection, very diversified.

The Tudor is just lovely and it comes with a history which makes it priceless. I recently bought a very similar Tudor from around '58 but it's an Auto model, it fascinates me having something on my wrist that has 30 more years of existence then me.

Cheers

Made redundant, buy a Speedie. I like that.

Owl1
    Great collection.

Great post, thanks for sharing your collection. I was drooling at those fine watches and great write up. I do like when each piece has a back story.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Great collection. nice pictures. I love the vintage Omega!

Journeyman
    Fantastic collection !!!

Journeyman
    Thank you! Well there is one obvious brand omission, but I'm not sure I want to pay the, IMO, crazy 2nd hand prices Rollex command these days. Having said that, I have always had a hankering for an explorer II... We'll have to see (SWMBO would go berserk!)

A
    I liked how you didn't have the obvious brand in your collection! Although saying that, the explorer II would be a fine choice!

Craftsman
    Thank you OP.

Never looked at a Dan Henry before but your photo and words has led me to
    its website. DH should pay you commission!

Craftsman
    Great collection. Some really nice looking watches there.

I especially like the Maurice lacroix - they make some really nice, classic looking watches at a (relatively) reasonable price. Perhaps underrated on here and other forums but certainly look the part.

Nice words, thanks for sharing.

Gosh!

Well, I’m a bit flabbergasted! Thank you all very much for taking the time and trouble to read about my collection, and for giving such positive and encouraging comments. I did spend quite a while thinking about my intro and SOTC emails, and it is very pleasing to see the effort is appreciated.

As mentioned in my intro post, I have been a lurker for a while and have grown to admire and respect the impressive levels of knowledge on the forum. Even when there are opinions expressed which I don’t necessarily agree with, I can see that they are, generally, genuine, informed and passionately held views.

I can see I’m going to really enjoy being an active member of the forum, and look forward to contributing in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Your grandfather's Tudor's a lovely piece.
    Thank you, I really should wear it more often, but struggle with the size. However with a view to wearing it more often I have had it serviced... 1st time in 40 years I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    ..... This is possibly the most enjoyable and interesting opening post I've seen in a while on tz. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. It is like a breath of fresh air.
    That is a really nice comment Dave. Much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    What this forum needs is more contributions from people like yourself and less from bitter cranky jaded feckless backbiting cynical old misanthropes like myself who because they have no real aim or joy left in life behave as if they own the place.....
    You are being far too harsh on your self! That's just the human condition... we're all like that to a greater or lesser extent!

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Love the photos too, nice that it's not just the watches that feature.
    Thank you. Taking the photographs was quite a cathartic experience and forced me to think about what the watches mean to me or how they reflect some aspect of myself. In fact the whole STOC exercise was cathartic.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    All nice watches. Very nice collection.

You say an explorer two would be a watch you like. That would be the old 40mm case size based on your fondness for vintage?

Nice choice if so, even nicer if the white version.
    You are absolutely right 40mm would be my choice, although having a "Great White" in my collection I would probably go for a black face Exp II.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    aamaci
    What a fantastic post, what a great write up of your collection.
    Got to be one of the best posts this year.

Well done and enjoy the forum
    Wow! Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    That is a lovely collection you have there. I love it when watches have a personal backstory, it makes them so much more precious and interesting for the owner. That's a really nice Great White you have, but the pick of the bunch for me is the Tudor Prince, what a classy piece that is.
    Oh and welcome to being active on the forum from a fellow new lad.
    J
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Wasn't obvious to me and I doubt that there were many wondering when a Rolex would appear on your post. That's a very fine collection and I particularly like the Tudor and both Longines, the second one in particular - very classy.
    Thank you. I have been a fan of Longines for many years and I think they do have a certain elegance even though,IMO, they have botched date windows a few times recently. I can't really get my head round Swatch Group's market placing for them, given some of their sponsorship strategy. And regarding the Rolex issue; you may well be right, I have wondered whether, unlike my other watches, I feel I ought to have a Rolex in my collection. Trouble is by the time I decide I do want one they'll either be £100k+ or so out of fashion I'll change my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    What can one say after that..?

The best SOTC I have seen, obviously would have loved to see the Zenith but WOW ... so many of Eddies in there ;-) it must be hard to choose one but which is your daily favourite?
    Well, what can I say...again thank you so much for you encouraging comment! I do, with a few exceptions try to change my watch every day. I feel each deserves to be worn regularly. The only exceptions are when I'm on holiday or the very few watches, such as the Tudor Royal where the size put's my off a wee bit. (I think the size thing is a fashion, and I can see that starting to change so maybe the Tudor and the Oris Chronometer will get a lot more wrist time going forward)

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    What a lovely collection and write up.

Just a quick question - have you kept every watch you’ve bought?
    Yep, every single one. They mostly all have some meaning for me so I have a connection which I wouldn't want to sell... Sorry that sounds a bit pompous; I don't mean it that way,... and never say never of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Made redundant, buy a Speedie. I like that.
    Hmm. Yes that took some explaining to SWMBO.... and a share of the spoils in her direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    Thank you OP.

Never looked at a Dan Henry before but your photo and words has led me to
    its website. DH should pay you commission!
    ... if you could arrange it.... Smashing!

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Great collection. Some really nice looking watches there.

I especially like the Maurice lacroix - they make some really nice, classic looking watches at a (relatively) reasonable price. Perhaps underrated on here and other forums but certainly look the part.
    I absolutely agree D4RWIN. I think they produce some great watches and are much underrated. I think this may be due to them having issued a few early models which, well TBH, didn't look too good and, from memory, were flogged off on TV shopping channels which damaged "the brand"

A really enjoyable SOTC post, and a great collection. Nice to see some different watches from the usual. Not familiar with that Oris pointer date with Roman numerals. Need to check out Timefactors watches - they all look great. On your Speedy pic, the W. David Woods signed message is cool - it's a great book that.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Lovely, varied collection. The Longines in particular is a thing of beauty! Minimalist luxury (traditional/understated design + gold) is always a winner IMHO.

In relation to your 1963, I feel your pain. They are brilliant watches with proper column wheel movements with a lovely design and interesting history but the quality control is virtually none existent. Mine came with a hair in the crystal...

What a superb post, thank you for taking the time to write and post it.

You have a beautiful collection, but the two that stand out for me is your Grandfathers Tudor and the Great White.

I am another who will take your beer. Thank you for taking the time to post and explain a little about the pieces.

I was surprised to learn that the Dan Henry was as good as you found it. I live and learn.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting

Like that Longines!

Apprentice
    Nice collection, I’ve always liked the Dan Henry

Journeyman
    Enjoyed reading through your post with great back stories behind each watch! Thanks for sharing, very nice collection too👍

Reading this post was a nice treat for a Saturday morning.

Many watches that I would also enjoy, but the Tudor stands out for me.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Apprentice

NICE COLLECTION