Always great when someone points out an update
    Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up just installed

Master
    Blog Entries
    And the differences are????

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    And the differences are????
    Read the Changelog. The link is in the original post.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Read the Changelog. The link is in the original post.
    Ta for that but I ain’t seeing what’s claimed

Jim

Grand Master
    Few cool emojis, and Group FaceTime plus other little tweaks,

On a separate note iCloud accounts been rubbish sending mail today
    RIAC

..and passcode bypass :)

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    How can they get it so wrong? I hold off any updates for as long as I can, phone works perfectly as it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a wrong tactic I think. Since I have 12 I have a lot of signal issues which seems to be connected...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Re iCloud mail

I ended up calling Apple support who advised it was a global issue. Fixed now tho

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Few cool emojis, and Group FaceTime plus other little tweaks,

On a separate note iCloud accounts been rubbish sending mail today

FYI link

The row over Apple's decision to slow down the performance of iPhones has resurfaced after the firm revealed its latest iOS update brings the controversial 'throttling' feature to iPhones bought just a year ago.
    The firm, which was hit by a huge customer backlash after the 'batterygate' throttling was first revealed, has previously said there was no need to bring the 'performance management feature' to its latest phones.
    However, the release notes for iOS 12.1, released on Tuesday, revealed Apple has brought the controversial feature to the iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus - which were released just a year ago.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Apple should have been more transparent about what was going on, but I don't understand why so many people are up in arms about that. It's a great engineering solution for extending the useful life of older phones.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Apple should have been more transparent about what was going on, but I don't understand why so many people are up in arms about that. It's a great engineering solution for extending the useful life of older phones.
    Set your sights higher!

This is at best a mediocre engineering solution, poorly explained, and, initially one that didn't give the the user any choice about how to balance priorities. A great engineering solution would involve figuring out a way to replace batteries easily and cheaply, while balancing other design variables (e.g., thinness and water resistance).

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 2nd November 2018 at 09:21.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Set your sights higher!

This is at best a mediocre engineering solution, poorly explained, and, initially one that didn't give the the user any choice about how to balance priorities. A great engineering solution would involve figuring out a way to replace batteries easily and cheaply, while balancing other design variables (e.g., thinness and water resistance).

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Exactly so! Well said Bob.

I never had to worry about android phones being ‘slowed down’ - after about 18 months every one I had slowed to a snails pace, unless you wanted to spend a few hours every week as an amateur IT engineer to keep it running! My iPhone just keeps on working, usually I pass it on to my wife after 3 years of use and she’s more than happy with the speed and battery life. I think it’s a bit of a non issue really. But I’ll never switch back to android even though many swear by them. Maybe I’m just not good enough at ‘tinkering’ with all the settings etc, but I just want something that works tbh

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I never had to worry about android phones being ‘slowed down’ - after about 18 months every one I had slowed to a snails pace, unless you wanted to spend a few hours every week as an amateur IT engineer to keep it running! My iPhone just keeps on working, usually I pass it on to my wife after 3 years of use and she’s more than happy with the speed and battery life. I think it’s a bit of a non issue really. But I’ll never switch back to android even though many swear by them. Maybe I’m just not good enough at ‘tinkering’ with all the settings etc, but I just want something that works tbh

When is the last time you had an android phone, out of curiosity? There are two suggestions here, the first is thave you've had multiple android phones for 18+ months, and the second is that you've passed on multiple Apple phones after 3 years use each.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 2nd November 2018 at 09:50.

How is everyone’s wireless charging after updating.

My phone didn’t charge last night and I know I had put the phone on correctly as it lit up and buzzed as normal.

Just wondering if this is a potential issue or just user error!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

My 7plus is 14months old and the battery health is 97%. I suspect a lot of users don't employ the very simple care needed to ensure good battery life. I use my device a lot by the way. I've had a 3gs, 5s, 6 and now a 7plus, and when I get a new device I spend hands on time with all of the main makes/models and I've seen nothing that would tempt me to change. I love the irony of Android users all over the internet belittling Apple users as fanboys etc! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Been with iPhone since when I had to reluctantly move on from my Symbian Nokia Communicators to a 3 GS.
    Never looked back, now we have X, 8 (mine) and 6S (little one).
    However it seems that unless significant change we shall need to borrow an Android phone for a few minutes when applying for the post Brexit residency, as Apple will not open scanning device for passports.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

This thread has the potential to polarise opinion as much as the Winter Tyres thread. Personally, I simply prefer the iPhone to any Android phone I've used. In my former work I (and my colleagues) had Android work phones and I had a personal iPhone as did many others. This was largely so that we could install our own and third-party apps for niche use. The one aspect of the iPhone (and some Android phones) that, in these environmentally aware times, I believe should be legislated against is the difficulty in replacing batteries for most users. Phone manufacturers are not alone in this; Oral B electric toothbrushes - for the sake of a £5 replacement battery they want you to replace the whole thing at £90+; I don't think so. This is where YouTuble and ifixit.com are superb.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    How is everyone’s wireless charging after updating.

My phone didn’t charge last night and I know I had put the phone on correctly as it lit up and buzzed as normal.

Just wondering if this is a potential issue or just user error!

I've never had a problem with wireless charging my X and haven't with the introduction of iOS12/12.1

I think from a single incident I'd be looking at user error; if you start to see repeated failures then that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    My 7plus is 14months old and the battery health is 97%. I suspect a lot of users don't employ the very simple care needed to ensure good battery life. ...
    Please share. I take care of unplugging soon after reaching 100% rather than leaving on charge and switch off apps that I do not use. But now aware of anything else to promote good battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    Please share. I take care of unplugging soon after reaching 100% rather than leaving on charge and switch off apps that I do not use. But now aware of anything else to promote good battery life.
    - Unplugging at 100% is not relevant for 99.9% of modern electronics as they shut down the current draw automatically when fully charged.
    - Li-ion batteries don't like being fully depleted. If practicable charge when down to no less than around 40% and don't always charge to 100% - stop at, for example, 95% occasionally.
    Last edited by Skier; 3rd November 2018 at 05:57.

Thank you Skier!

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post

All I've ever done is to only charge when below 20% (usually 10%), and let the charge go up to at least 80% (I usually let it charge to 100%). Once a month/ish allow to fully discharge. I see lots of users (of all makes) when in cafes and pubs borrowing a charger from staff and giving their device a quick belt to keep them going.
    F.T.F.A.

Thomas Reid
    If you want to maximize battery life, I think that, as much as possible, don't let it get much below 40%, and not much above 80%. However, that isn't always convenient.

Best wishes,
    Bob

If you want to maximize battery life, I think that, as much as possible, don't let it get much below 40%, and not much above 80%. However, that isn't always convenient.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    isn't this a myth and not applicable to modern Li-ion batteries?

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    isn't this a myth and not applicable to modern Li-ion batteries?

From
    https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries

Pick your line.

Best wishes,
    Bob

When is the last time you had an android phone, out of curiosity? There are two suggestions here, the first is thave you've had multiple android phones for 18+ months, and the second is that you've passed on multiple Apple phones after 3 years use each.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I’m referring not just to the experience with my personal phone but also my wife’s, eldest sons and work phones. Last time I had an android phone it was an htc one m9, my son had a galaxy S8. We had (quality) sd cards go pop, phones where the microphone or screen packed up, slowing down to a crawl etc. Tbh I’ve just found Apple more reliable, and if you factor in keeping it for 3 years no more expensive. I’m by no means an Apple fanboy etc, just want a consistently functional phone

Set your sights higher! This is at best a mediocre engineering solution, poorly explained, and, initially one that didn't give the the user any choice about how to balance priorities. A great engineering solution would involve figuring out a way to replace batteries easily and cheaply, while balancing other design variables (e.g., thinness and water resistance).
    Still with this schtick, Bob?