closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex - help me understand/defend the brand?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert189598 View Post
    There are a couple Rolex models that really appeal to me but, the image of the brand, as merely a status symbol , has always put me off pulling the trigger.
    Just my opinion, but if I thought like that, I'd be looking at myself and why I am so concerned about what people think of me just because I wear a certain watch.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    It’s hard to generalise as both AP and Patek have simple 3 hand movements to minute repeaters and tourbillions. Rolex are considered (and deservedly so) very reliable. But you have to remember that they basically make 3 hand watches with a date. Yes the skydweller is an annual calendar but most rolex are 3 hander s. If you compare that with a Patek or AP or any other 3 hander they all tend to be very reliable. The Patek 324 cal for example is bullet proof and so is the AP in-house cal. So it’s hard to compare.

Rolex also excels in the after service vs many other brands (ie richemont) and that helps keep the value and trust in the brand also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair point.
    I have a PP with 324...only had it for a couple of years... Hopefully it will be reliable.
    Have the AP with 2121...we shall see! Heard more conflicting rumours on it.
    I guess the overall feel of these watches is that they feel better finished... Somehow feel more delicate... Or perhaps they are so expensive that I am babying them in a way that I don't feel I have to for the 3,000 gbp Rolex...

Never worried about a scratch on Rolex but a tiny hairline scratch on Royal Oak and I feel a little sick!

Journeyman
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the access to easy credit. More of the population seem to be heading towards the buy it now, pay later approach. Going back to the OP's post on people wearing Rolex like swatches, if people fancy a Rolex then they will go for it regardless of whether they can afford it. The same applies with many people opting to go for PCP rather than buying cars outright; it is far easier and psychologically more affordable to make small monthly repayments. Just my personal opinion!

Master
    Depends on the circles and demographics you move in.

Rolex are obviously trying to move the brand to be alongside AP, VC and PP while Tudor is for middle-class PAYE folks. It's a shame that 'Mondeo man' is chasing subs up to £10k and accepting AD games too., telling themselves they're 'investment pieces' etc. Nope, just market manipulation.

In the City, Rolex and Omega are what grads buy. The real money will have Calatrava, Royal Oak, Nautilus with Partners wearing A. Lange & Söhne, F.P. Journe etc.

I note that black sports stars seem to favour and promote Hublot (Tiger Woods aside, of course)
    Last edited by J J Carter; 28th October 2018 at 19:50.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Clever, savvy marketing has lifted their watches to a position in the market they don't really deserve.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    This sums up Rolex in one sentence.

Sent from my phone by mumbo jumbo.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post

Rolex are obviously trying to move the brand to be alongside AP, VC and PP...
    I don’t think they are, they seem to have a very different model that has nothing to do with eleborate decoration and hand craftsmanship. They may offer some higher priced options for those who like the brand, but they have a broad range with a relatively accessible point of entry. Obviously, I mean relatively accessible in terms of stupidly expensive luxury watches, not ‘real world’ accessible... But some of their most affordable watches are some of their most appealing, due to being less gaudy - the black and white oyster perpetuals for instance. You won’t find anything like that from AP, VC, or PP - VC’s recent ‘affordable’ entry level watch is in a different league.

So your friends think the fact that you can buy most secondhand Rolexes for less than a new one makes them somehow worse? Get better friends.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I am today wearing a 38 year old Pepsi Rolex GMT, which cost me about £2800 in 2000 (now worth about £10k) whilst reading about the new Ceramic Rolex Pepsi GMT currently selling for around £15k, if you can find one. Both are Rolex, do the same job and to 99% of the global population look virtually identical.

So even if you ignore the brand, it's history, it's design, its desirability, robustness, etc, it actually makes good financial sense, assuming you don't over pay and keep the watch over 5 years or more.

I wear an 18 year old sub non date I bought brand new in Switzerland, the first place I ever saw one in a dealer , along with the sub date and sea dweller in stock at the time , imagine that now ? .

I wear it every day, although have a few other Rolex I wear from time to time , but the one I go back to is my first bought ( see what I did there ) , it’s almost an extension of my arm now , to the point that if I’m not wearing it I’m constantly looking down to my wrist.

Can’t really explain it properly but I do miss it when I’m not wearing it , my previous watches never gave me the same feeling.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Just my opinion, but if I thought like that, I'd be looking at myself and why I am so concerned about what people think of me just because I wear a certain watch.
    It's what the I think when I see other people wearing one. During my early career as a PC in Chiswick I dealt with up and coming drug dealers and other low lifes. A large percentage who made any money bought a Rolex and a BMW. That's always stuck in my mind and become ingrained in my frame of reference. I loved the look on their face when, in the custody suite after arrest, the watch was stuffed into an evidence bag with their car keys.
    Last edited by Robert189598; 31st October 2018 at 13:32.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CJQC View Post
    They then market to him/her relentlessly, pushing better, more sophisticated models. Then, once the customer asks for a Daytona, Pepsi or Hulk GMT II etc, Rolex tell them that they can't have one, which irks them even more and makes them more determined.
    To the OP, personally it makes me want one less, which is a shame as they're great watches.

Rolex's whole strategy just pisses me off and i'm not the only one. I'm not being drawn into it which is why i'm looking to GS and to hell with the residuals.

Nuff said.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    To the OP, personally it makes me want one less, which is a shame as they're great watches.

Rolex's whole strategy just pisses me off and i'm not the only one. I'm not being drawn into it which is why i'm looking to GS and to hell with the residuals.

Nuff said.
    I on the other hand like Rolex's strategy simply because they are protecting a great brand and residuals are rising. Basically they are looking after their customers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I on the other hand like Rolex's strategy simply because they are protecting a great brand and residuals are rising. Basically they are looking after their customers.
    Fair comment. Good luck with your Rolex mate, i wish you well :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post

Rolex are obviously trying to move the brand to be alongside AP, VC and PP while Tudor is for middle-class PAYE folks. It's a shame that 'Mondeo man' is chasing subs up to £10k and accepting AD games too., telling themselves they're 'investment pieces' etc. Nope, just market manipulation.

In the City, Rolex and Omega are what grads buy. The real money will have Calatrava, Royal Oak, Nautilus with Partners wearing A. Lange & Söhne, F.P. Journe etc.

I note that black sports stars seem to favour and promote Hublot (Tiger Woods aside, of course)
    I’ve been working in the City for 14 years and meet management from many top companies regularly. Rolex and omega are common and worn by every type from your junior associate banker to chiefs and directors of the largest companies. Breitling and iwc are also fairly common, typically Breitling living up to the stereotype for the more brash and aggressive character and Iwc seen on more intellectual type. Never seen a patek/journe or any other of those types apart from once a gold simple Lange on senior management of a rubbish 2nd tier Belgian bank but that’s about it.

Apprentice
    Its great if you already have them !

Banned
    Vomited middle of first page.

Interesting to have stumbled across this thread today.

I’ve just scratched my long standing Rolex itch, having previously(and still a little) disregarded Rolex as a brand - I seen most of their watches as fodder for people with cash who wanted to show they had cash, yet knew little about watches.

Over the years my tastes have changed and I do really like to see a Rolex on someone’s wrist these days. Most have a story behind them - it’s an aspirational item for many and who am i to scoff at their choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk