closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I thought the police were under resourced

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Isn't it obvious?

68% of fatal accidents are caused by driver error. Not mobile phones or speed or mechanical failure. Plain old "sorry-mate-I-didn't-see-you" driver error and virtually no public resources are deployed to rectify that situation. So instead of fining people and sending them on speed awareness courses (which do next to nothing), make them go on actual behind the wheel driving lessons with an actual advanced driving instructor and make them keep on having lessons until they pass muster. Most people haven't done a minutes training since they passed their test. The cost of an advanced driving course is roughly the same as a motoring fine so it wouldn't even be expensive. But the government wouldn't get any of the cash. The whole perception of road safety is a farce, it's designed to make the government look like they are doing something while actually maximizing the fine revenue stream. And the infuriating thing is Joe Public is buying this bullplop as can be seen by the replies in this thread. Better trained drivers would make the entire road system safer for everyone everywhere and save a lot more lives than billing people for checking their messages at the traffic lights.
    I’m sorry to say it isn’t obvious to me that, despite the merit of such a scheme, it could possibly be made to work.

What criteria of ‘driver error’ would be determined to meet the scheme and what wouldn’t? How many advanced driving instructors are available to implement the lessons? How would the government ‘police’ the system to ensure it takes place? What would do they do if someone doesn’t take part in it or cannot pass the criteria?

In short, there’s so many variables involved that I cannot see it being remotely feasible.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Texting is dangerous end of. When I bought my 1st bluetooth it was £175 so there may have been an excuse not to go handsfree, now they're £20. 6pts for driving on the phone is right.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy;495
    So4853
    I’m sorry to say it isn’t obvious to me that, despite the merit of such a scheme, it could possibly be made to work.

What criteria of ‘driver error’ would be determined to meet the scheme and what wouldn’t? How many advanced driving instructors are available to implement the lessons? How would the government ‘police’ the system to ensure it takes place? What would do they do if someone doesn’t take part in it or cannot pass the criteria?

In short, there’s so many variables involved that I cannot see it being remotely feasible.

R

So you thought about it for 2 minutes and you think doing anything to prevent those deaths is too hard so you're just going to give up? Yeah, well, you're not alone. That's pretty much what the government thinks as well. Like I said, people don't care about road safety, they care about the illusion of road safety and roughly 1200 dead people per year is the price of that exercise in conscience appeasing.

It's a shame because the government could use fine money to fund driving lessons. Get done for speeding or using a phone, you lose your licence until you pass another driving test. But that's too hard, not enough driving instructors, can't police it, what if people don't take part... We'll just do some cheap PR stunt instead, that'll keep the plebs happy. Pathetic.

Grand Master
    7 points, £1000 fine, 3 months ban AND crush the phone slowly whilst the owner is forced to watch......that would deter them! These idiots are addicted to the damned things, taking the phones off them is the only way.

I`ll never understand the obsession with phones, particularly texting.

Master
    Get done for speeding or using a phone, you lose your licence until you pass another driving test.
    Rather extreme don’t you think. So someone is doing 45 mph on a dual carriageway marked 40 (there is one near me that had been 60mph for as far back as I can remember and after putting in a roundabout, reduced the whole few mile stretch down to 40 mph despite it NOT being an accident hotspot) has to then lose his licence and take a test again? Bit draconian if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Rather extreme don’t you think.
    Considerably less extreme than walkerwek1958's version. I want to teach people, he want's to torture them.

Public flogging is the answer. Do it in the middle of the Trafalgar Sq and sell tickets to watch it for a tenner which would go towards costs of filling in potholes. Win win.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Public flogging is the answer. Do it in the middle of the Trafalgar Sq and sell tickets to watch it for a tenner which would go towards costs of filling in potholes. Win win.
    Deera square.

Journeyman
    Torture people FTW

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Dura lex sed lex
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Journeyman
    Considerably less extreme than walkerwek1958's version. I want to teach people, he want's to torture them.
    Would someone be a bad man if they confessed to doing 140+ while on the phone to their mum? Asking for a friend.....

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    So you thought about it for 2 minutes and you think doing anything to prevent those deaths is too hard so you're just going to give up? Yeah, well, you're not alone. That's pretty much what the government thinks as well. Like I said, people don't care about road safety, they care about the illusion of road safety and roughly 1200 dead people per year is the price of that exercise in conscience appeasing.

It's a shame because the government could use fine money to fund driving lessons. Get done for speeding or using a phone, you lose your licence until you pass another driving test. But that's too hard, not enough driving instructors, can't police it, what if people don't take part... We'll just do some cheap PR stunt instead, that'll keep the plebs happy. Pathetic.
    I thought about it for longer than 2 minutes and my points remain valid, perhaps that's why I'm not alone. Of course, you could respond to those points and thus enlighten us as to how you see your proposal could feasibly work?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The response to road safety in this country is way out of line with reality, as is public perception. Mobile phone use is one of the most hated of all road traffic offences yet it accounts for only 0.8% of fatal accidents. The police/government have done a good job of conning the public into thinking that easy, profitable, headline-grabbing pointlessness like this is actually making the world a safer place.
    Bit of an inaccurate assessment in my view. You need to get out for a month or two with the RT Police, you might have a more valued opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    7 points, £1000 fine, 3 months ban AND crush the phone slowly whilst the owner is forced to watch......that would deter them! These idiots are addicted to the damned things, taking the phones off them is the only way.

My customers and suppliers etc are obsessed with communicating with me by phone

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Certainly - confiscating the phone for a month, would add some weight to the fine and points.

Master
    I think the biggest problem on the roads is driver and rider attitudes. You see it on YouTube videos all the time.

Nobody will give an inch. A driver or rider sees a car moving into their lane and deliberately floors it, so they can put themselves into a position where they can then get all angry because someone cut them up.

Someone pulling out of a junction, accelerate as hard as you can so you can then slam on with your hand on the horn, and get yourself into a road rage situation.

Defensive courteous driving is rare. It’s all about being as aggressive as possible and not giving an inch.