closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another TZ profiteer!

Master
    I bought the Doxa off the forum for £900 and decided to sell it 7 months later as it wasn’t getting worn and was in exactly the same condition as when I bought it. Sold it for £895 as I always offer my watches back to the forum so another like minded enthusiast can get enjoyment from the watch that I had.
    It does sadden me to see watches sold off the forum for profit as in the end it’s only we the members that finally lose out, certainly different these days compared to 10 yrs ago when I was so lucky to own some absolute stunners that we’re doing the rounds on TZ. These days they’d be hoovered up and gone within a week, definitely glad I joined back in 2008 and not 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    I bought the Doxa off the forum for £900 and decided to sell it 7 months later as it wasn’t getting worn and was in exactly the same condition as when I bought it. Sold it for £895 as I always offer my watches back to the forum so another like minded enthusiast can get enjoyment from the watch that I had.
    It does sadden me to see watches sold off the forum for profit as in the end it’s only we the members that finally lose out, certainly different these days compared to 10 yrs ago when I was so lucky to own some absolute stunners that we’re doing the rounds on TZ. These days they’d be hoovered up and gone within a week, definitely glad I joined back in 2008 and not 2018.
    This ^^^ + 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is pathetic! He had the watch for 18 months. Cry me a river.

Journeyman
    Now dropped by £100 on ebay......... would be hilarious in this context if it eventually goes for less than the £895!

Master
    As I said on another thread this kind of posting is killing the forum. As a relative newcomer here I’d be very hesitant to sell any of my collection via sales corner for ‘fear’ of being harassed in this manner.
    Capitalism is what it is and for better or worse is the cornerstone of our society.
    Perhaps the powers that be could jump on this type of threadcr@pping before it becomes the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    No doubt some of the usual suspects will blacklist the current seller as being not honourable enough to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    No doubt some of the usual suspects will blacklist the current seller as being not honourable enough to deal with.
    Their choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    How's anyone on the forum lost out ?

The original seller got the price requested.

The buyer has the watch they wanted and after 18 months is moving it on.

If the seller now out it on sales corner at the I floated price people would still moan. If someone from the forum wants it PM the seller and make an offer.

It's been 18 months, you guys are absolutely crazy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Their choice.
    Absolutely, no different from the owner of the watch doing what he sees fit with his own property though.

Master
    What a pathetic thread. The OP should mind his own business!

Apprentice
    Unsubscribe

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hilarious. 18 bleeding months later......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I think after 18 months it's fair game. If it was 18 hours it would be a different story. At least he's worn the thing for a year and a half.

But as someone else pointed out, it's fecking hideous anyway so good luck getting the asking price.
    This ^^

Another TZ profiteer!

Out of curiosity....
    The feeling seems to be that since 18 months have passed it’s ok. Is it ok after 12? 9? 6?

When does natural rotation turn into rampant flipping. Within a month? Genuinely curious where that line is in the sand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Out of curiosity....
    The feeling seems to be that since 18 months have passed it’s ok. Is it ok after 12? 9? 6?

When does natural rotation turn into rampant flipping. Within a month? Genuinely curious where that line is in the sand.
    One hour is ok with me. Once some one has bought it, it is theirs not the SCs.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    How's anyone on the forum lost out ?

The original seller got the price requested.

The buyer has the watch they wanted and after 18 months is moving it on.

If the seller now out it on sales corner at the I floated price people would still moan. If someone from the forum wants it PM the seller and make an offer.

It's been 18 months, you guys are absolutely crazy.
    Which part of his very clear explanation are you having trouble with?

He's saying when he joined the forum people took into account when they'd been given a good deal on the forum, and gave someone else the same good deal. As a consequence he's had some great watches he might not otherwise have been able to buy.

He thinks it's a shame this no longer happens, I concur.
    Last edited by miff; 24th December 2018 at 02:17.

Master
    About 3 years go you could pick up a hulk for 5k (not from here but I did). You’d be able to get 8.5k for that now, maybe more.

I wonder how many people would offer that back to the forum if they had bought it here?

I think hoovering here to flip instantly elsewhere is a disgrace, however a year and a half down the road is not the actions of a hoovererer (is that even a word?) to me.

Master
    I agree that its a nice sentiment that a watch is offered at a good price to fellow watch enthusiasts and that its also a nice sentiment to then pass the goodwill along to another watch enthusiast when reselling. But unless that is incorporated into the rules then it won't always happen and I don't think its honourable to then call people out.

The obvious thing to do is to have a separate sales forum, called "Forum Watches For Sale" subtitle "No flippin chance". The rules for this forum would include: If bought from this forum, I understand that to sell for more than I paid, anywhere, will result in a forum ban for life if caught.

Otherwise you can't blame anyone because they're not breaking any rules, and to have unwritten rules, is a bad policy for the trust and integrity of TZ
    Last edited by Tiny; 24th December 2018 at 09:06.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I agree that its a nice sentiment that a watch is offered at a good price to fellow watch enthusiasts and that its also a nice sentiment to then pass the goodwill along to another watch enthusiast when reselling. But unless that is incorporated into the rules then it won't always happen and I don't think its honourable to then call people out.

The obvious thing to do is to have a separate sales forum, called "Forum Watches For Sale" subtitle "No flippin chance". The rules for this forum would include: If bought from this forum, I understand that to sell for more than I paid, anywhere, will result in a forum ban for life if caught.

Otherwise you can't blame anyone because they're not breaking any rules, and to have unwritten rules, is a bad policy for the trust and integrity of TZ

There was me thinking it was Christmas Eve , not April 1st........

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Shouldn’t this be in H&V ?
    More muppets nowadays than a Christmas Caper. :)

Out of curiosity....

There is no line. It boils down to common sense and personal ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    About 3 years go you could pick up a hulk for 5k (not from here but I did). You’d be able to get 8.5k for that now, maybe more.

I wonder how many people would offer that back to the forum if they had bought it here?

I think hoovering here to flip instantly elsewhere is a disgrace, however a year and a half down the road is not the actions of a hoovererer (is that even a word?) to me.
    Exactly.

As an aside, I've been burnt many times offering a watch back to the forum at what I paid, only to see it sold elsewhere (in fact, on here too) very shortly afterwards at substantial profit. My "spirit of the community" transactions are often done off-forum now, as I know those who will act with integrity and they're often mates. We also have a lot of members here with no real forum history, and it's inevitable that the protocols that applied when the membership was much smaller and cliquier will be slowly eroded as numbers continue to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    As I said on another thread this kind of posting is killing the forum. As a relative newcomer here I’d be very hesitant to sell any of my collection via sales corner for ‘fear’ of being harassed in this manner.
    Capitalism is what it is and for better or worse is the cornerstone of our society.
    Perhaps the powers that be could jump on this type of threadcr@pping before it becomes the norm.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

That is exactly the price I paid for a Hulk on here 3 years ago and this thread is exactly the reason I would think twice about selling it here.

get a life 12manywatches . He can ask for whatever price he wants without asking for your approval

Ouzo and late nights.

Out of curiosity....

It seems that it all depends on who you are, if you are in the club you can do what you like and all your mates will boost your sales thread, if you aren’t then a few quid uplift will be outed as blatant profiteering.

I can’t understand why the seller didn’t offer the watch here before EBay, whatever his asking price.

But it is his property, he can do as he likes with it, the obvious choice is if you have a watch for sale, you may think twice before selling to him.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It seems that it all depends on who you are, if you are in the club you can do what you like and all your mates will boost your sales thread, if you aren’t then a few quid uplift will be outed as blatant profiteering.

I can’t understand why the seller didn’t offer the watch here before EBay, whatever his asking price.

But it is his property, he can do as he likes with it, the obvious choice is if you have a watch for sale, you may think twice before selling to him.

If it’s his property and can do what he likes with it , why would you add “ you may want to think twice before selling it to him “ comment ?

Caveat emptor , is quite normal everywhere but on here by the looks of it.

Some odd comments on this thread.

Another TZ profiteer!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    If it’s his property and can do what he likes with it , why would you add “ you may want to think twice before selling it to him “ comment ?.
    The first part of your sentence is debatable since he had received money for it.
    The fact that it is debatable doesn’t necessarily make it wrong, but it’s enough for me to put him on my list.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I don't know why many people seem to find the whole concept of profiteering so hard. It's not a matter of time at all. Nobody here is saying that you should never, ever make a profit on a watch full stop, but if you snapped up a watch, any watch, at a bargain community-minded price on the forum then it's poor form to sell it at market price elsewhere later on. All the usual bullsh*t I see about "I bought a Rolex 5 years ago for £2K so should I now be expected to sell it for the same when it's worth 4x more" is totally irrelevant and misleading. The watch in the original post was sold extremely quickly at a very cheap price and unless Doxas have gone up in value 80% over the last 18 months then I personally feel it's a bad show from the seller - if he had added a couple of hundred I don't think many would have batted an eyelid.

At the end of the day, it's an individual's property and his or her right to dispose of it exactly how they wish. It's also our right to choose not to deal with that individual again and call them names on a watch forum. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    There seems to be a belief amongst some members that once a watch has been sold through SC it somehow then ‘belongs’ to the forum forever. I would totally agree that it is good manners for a ‘catch & release’ to be put back up on Sales Corner, but the idea that 18 months can pass and the owner of the watch still cannot sell their own property on the open market for current market value seems unreasonable. Labelling that person publicly on Watch Talk as a profiteer is just wrong.

Simon
    This

The voice of reason and manners as always

D

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I don't know why many people seem to find the whole concept of profiteering so hard. It's not a matter of time at all. Nobody here is saying that you should never, ever make a profit on a watch full stop, but if you snapped up a watch, any watch, at a bargain community-minded price on the forum then it's poor form to sell it at market price elsewhere later on. All the usual bullsh*t I see about "I bought a Rolex 5 years ago for £2K so should I now be expected to sell it for the same when it's worth 4x more" is totally irrelevant and misleading. The watch in the original post was sold extremely quickly at a very cheap price and unless Doxas have gone up in value 80% over the last 18 months then I personally feel it's a bad show from the seller - if he had added a couple of hundred I don't think many would have batted an eyelid.

At the end of the day, it's an individual's property and his or her right to dispose of it exactly how they wish. It's also our right to choose not to deal with that individual again and call them names on a watch forum. So there.
    Only things I would disagree with there are that 18 months is not reselling “extremely quickly” - certainly doesn’t smack of buying to sell at a profit imho. Agree with most of the rest. Free world and all that

Only things I would disagree with there are that 18 months is not reselling “extremely quickly” - certainly doesn’t smack of buying to sell at a profit imho. Agree with most of the rest. Free world and all that
    Furthermore, that ignores the majority of watches these days that are sold on SC at market value. @Lampoc, I’d be interested to hear your view on that.

Apologies if my post wasn't that clear - I meant "extremely quickly" as in the Doxa was snapped up within a couple of hours of the original TZUK ad going live. Obviously 18 months isn't quick at all!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Furthermore, that ignores the majority of watches these days that are sold on SC at market value. @Lampoc, I’d be interested to hear your view on that.
    I'm only talking about those watches which are generously offered at very cheap prices by "community spirited" members - the ones where the sales posts are full of the usual "great gesture OP", "what a bargain!" and "blimey, that sold fast!".
    That majority of watches that are bought/sold at market value are fair game for profit/loss in my opinion.

Without wishing to be sanctimonious or patronising (and I hope this post avoids that although I'm not too sure...), most of this comes down to integrity and common sense. I've got watches that I picked up from here a few years back at (what was then) ridiculously low prices. When I come to sell them, they'll still be at a ridiculously low price. The watches I bought whenever at the going rate back then - they'll be advertised at whatever the going rate is when I come to sell them.
    Last edited by Lampoc; 27th December 2018 at 17:04.

Another TZ profiteer!

Apologies if my post wasn't that clear - I meant "extremely quickly" as in the Doxa was snapped up within a couple of hours of the original TZUK ad going live. Obviously 18 months isn't quick at all!

I'm only talking about those watches which are generously offered at very cheap prices by "community spirited" members - the ones where the sales posts are full of the usual "great gesture OP", "what a bargain!" and "blimey, that sold fast!".
    That majority of watches that are bought/sold at market value are fair game for profit/loss in my opinion.

Without wishing to be sanctimonious or patronising (and I hope this post avoids that although I'm not too sure...), most of this comes down to integrity and common sense. I've got watches that I picked up from here a few years back at (what was then) ridiculously low prices. When I come to sell them, they'll still be at a ridiculously low price. The watches I bought whenever at the going rate back then - they'll be advertised at whatever the going rate is when I come to sell them.
    Ah, okay - entirely in agreement with that, then, thank you.

In fact, if something is bought on SC for (say) 15% below market value then perhaps the first avenue for the seller should by to list it on SC on a similar basis (that is, a similar level below the new market value). That way, there’s no patently unreasonable expectation/burden.

The problems are plentiful, though - it’s very subjective, it relies on people remembering the details of what they bought, and the thousands on here who have no real personal investment in the forum won’t give a toss.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 27th December 2018 at 18:05.

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    This is pathetic! He had the watch for 18 months. Cry me a river.
    Indeed.

First of all: it is between seller and buyer to determine the value of the watch in question.

Secondly, after 18 months I wouldn't even remember what I paid for it.

Thirdly, it is the property of the guy who is selling now, he can thrash it, throw it away, give it to charity or sell at any price he can fetch for it. Owner can do as he pleases.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Indeed.

First of all: it is between seller and buyer to determine the value of the watch in question.

Secondly, after 18 months I wouldn't even remember what I paid for it.

Thirdly, it is the property of the guy who is selling now, he can thrash it, throw it away, give it to charity or sell at any price he can fetch for it. Owner can do as he pleases.
    Yes you are sensible but there is a small but vocal sub culture who seem to think that any watch sold or bought in the SC is a watch that can only be sold with their approval or within certain parameters.

Journeyman
    i think i am too new to view this forum, out of interest do rolex s/s watches get posted on there and close to retail? I like the fact that this is a UK forum and buyers/sellers can meet to exchange, as opposed to other forums where you're dealing with USA sellers and have all sorts of fraud/duties/paypal issues to consider.

I think if selling a new popular model its reasonable for it to be listed above retail.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm a new member to this forum. Personally, if I was lucky enough to buy a watch here at a very favourable price then I would contact the original seller to ascertain their viewpoint and also whether they wished to buy the watch back. Had I originally purchased at a wider general market price ( ie the going market rate) then I would consider the rise in value to be my good fortune. That said, if I had benefitted in general from low prices in SC (and wished to continue doing so ) I would still contact the original seller to discuss my impending sale (with a view to sharing the good fortune). That said, I'm not a dealer nor do I trade things as a part-time money-spinner.

I bought a Dark Side of the Moon on SC from "xxxxxx" last month. I don't like how it lays on my wrist. I paid him £7,000 but I checked prices and I'll be lucky to get £6,000 on SC. I want "xxxxxx" to pay me the difference but he refuses. I think Eddie should ban him for not acting in the spirit of the forum.

Anyone with me???

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I bought a Dark Side of the Moon on SC from "xxxxxx" last month. I don't like how it lays on my wrist. I paid him £7,000 but I checked prices and I'll be lucky to get £6,000 on SC. I want "xxxxxx" to pay me the difference but he refuses. I think Eddie should ban him for not acting in the spirit of the forum.

Anyone with me???
    How about setting up a crowd funding page just for this type of sale ? :)

im pretty sure the watches ive sold on here ive sold at a loss , can i please get a condolences thread and a just giving page set up for my losses...... this thread should be moved to the bear pit so people can take the piss out of the OP using more engergetic language .

Master

Anyone with me???
    It's something I've never quite understood. "Community spirit" always seems to require the seller to sell low rather than the buyer to buy high. I've yet to see a buyer do the "right" thing and limit the previous buyer's losses on resale. Perhaps all watches on SC should be bought and sold at RRP for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    It's something I've never quite understood. "Community spirit" always seems to require the seller to sell low rather than the buyer to buy high. I've yet to see a buyer do the "right" thing and limit the previous buyer's losses on resale. Perhaps all watches on SC should be bought and sold at RRP for eternity.
    Seriously, what's so hard to understand? If you buy low from a TZUK seller displaying "community spirit" then it's good form to pass on that "community spirit" when you move the watch on.

Seriously, what's so hard to understand? If you buy low from a TZUK seller displaying "community spirit" then it's good form to pass on that "community spirit" when you move the watch on.
    What if a watch falls in value, as most do. Re-sell at the original price?

Master
    If a community member decides to sell a watch below the market value, then fine that is his choice. However that does not give them the right to criticise anyone who decides to sell at a higher price.

I could understand it if everyone loved each other, however just one visit to the BP demonstrates that a lot of them absolutely hate each other guts with agendas and vendettas ruling OK. I suspect that much of the trashing of adverts in the SC is Mr A getting even with Mr B with whom he has had a confrontation in the past.

The simple reality is that the SC is just one of a dozen places to sell or buy a watch along with the wooly hats and worn out shoes. The same ethos of the market applies everywhere, the SC is no exception.

But, what if the reason you were able to "buy low" wasn't because of the TZUK seller's community spirit, but because of his poor judgement of the market price, OR, because of his inability to see certain facts about the watch that could enhance its value presentation? In other words, YOUR better knowledge adds value that HIS sale cannot realize.

Hmm, what to do...

^^^

With respect Mick, you are a number of years behind the curve along with many others.

Never used to be the way it is now - seriously. Some call it progress, others less so.

Whilst I would never claim it was the 'League of Gentlemen' it was far more civilised, and the SC issues were much, much less prevalent.

As a nod to an old forum stalwart - catmuck.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

But, what if the reason you were able to "buy low" wasn't because of the TZUK seller's community spirit, but because of his poor judgement of the market price, OR, because of his inability to see certain facts about the watch that could enhance its value presentation? In other words, YOUR better knowledge adds value that HIS sale cannot realize.

Hmm, what to do...
    This may be wishful thinking but maybe someone would tell him he'd made a mistake. You know, in a kind of freindly community forum way. Like I said in an earlier post, it's about common sense and integrity. I'd tell him, you may take advantage of him. Who knows?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    ^^^

With respect Mick, you are a number of years behind the curve along with many others.

Never used to be the way it is now - seriously. Some call it progress, others less so.

Whilst I would never claim it was the 'League of Gentlemen' it was far more civilised, and the SC issues were much, much less prevalent.

As a nod to an old forum stalwart - catmuck.
    Chris

To quote Henry Ford, history is to be p****d on.

What happened a few years ago is neither here nor there and even this thread shows that most people feel that the owner has the right to sell at whatever price he wishes in the full knowledge that if he over prices, it won't sell and if he under prices, it will sell within minutes.

That is the simple law of supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Chris

To quote Henry Ford, history is to be p****d on.

What happened a few years ago is neither here nor there and even this thread shows that most people feel that the owner has the right to sell at whatever price he wishes in the full knowledge that if he over prices, it won't sell and if he under prices, it will sell within minutes.

That is the simple law of supply and demand.
    My point was more fundamental Mick - some of the respect and shared interest has gone.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........