closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reducing collection - which one?

Journeyman

Reducing collection - which one?

I like to have a bit of variety in my collection - brand, complication, face colour, metal etc. Im very happy with the pieces I’ve got (no changes for 18 months) but I’m thinking of reducing the collection by 1.
    I’d be interested in views on which one and why? (Apologies for the poor phone photo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavster View Post
    I like to have a bit of variety in my collection - brand, complication, face colour, metal etc. Im very happy with the pieces I’ve got (no changes for 18 months) but I’m thinking of reducing the collection by 1.
    I’d be interested in views on which one and why? (Apologies for the poor phone photo)

If it were me, I'd ditch one of the PPs or one of the APs, that way you don't lose the brand variety.

If a PP then I'd sell the Aquanaut. For me the Nautilus is their defining sports watch and much better looking (never been a fan of the Aquanaut - the dial and especially the date window look cramped, and the hands clumsy).

If an AP then I'd sell the gold one, again on the purely subjective grounds that it's too blingy for my taste, albeit then you'd be without a yellow gold watch, if that's important to you.

On the basis that you like the collection you've got and (assuming you normally have one on your wrist) they all fit into the watch box, why do you want to reduce by one?

What is the one on the left?

if it was my collection and I was determined to get down to 5 then I'd sell the Daytona simply because I'm not a fan...

Simon

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    On the basis that you like the collection you've got and (assuming you normally have one on your wrist) they all fit into the watch box, why do you want to reduce by one?

What is the one on the left?

if it was my collection and I was determined to get down to 5 then I'd sell the Daytona simply because I'm not a fan...

Simon
    Yes, sorry the photo isn’t clear. It’s a Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionelle. I’ve had that piece since 2011.

Regarding why sell one, I just feel 6 is probably too many for me, I don’t wear them as much as I would like.

Beautiful collection. As already mentioned, I would let the Aquanaut go. The Nautilus is iconic and they are too similar to each other (dial colour etc).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    Beautiful collection. As already mentioned, I would let the Aquanaut go. The Nautilus is iconic and they are too similar to each other (dial colour etc).
    Thank you.
    The replies are interesting - I was expecting most people to tell me to ditch the Vacheron...

No the Vacheron is lovely. I would be tempted to trade both PP's for a complication from the same brand or even move to a Lange or F P Journe?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice collection.

I would sell the Gold or SS AP and then upgrade the Aquanaut to a 5164 or the 5711 to a 5712

Master
    The RO Chrono doesn't look like their finest work - the most recent collections are much improved. So I'd chop that one.

Agree it would make sense to let one of the AP's or PP's go, and on that basis I would shift the Nautilus (I personally prefer the Aquanaut) or the Panda Chrono. I had this model and found the proportions a bit off visually, mainly the dial being (appearing) too small for the watch (just my opinion of course).

Either of the AP's. Personally I've never been a fan of their chronos as I find the dials too busy. In preference of selling it'd be the the rose gold then the white dial then the daytona (never been a fan of those either, lol). The rest are really lovely.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Agree it would make sense to let one of the AP's or PP's go, and on that basis I would shift the Nautilus (I personally prefer the Aquanaut) or the Panda Chrono. I had this model and found the proportions a bit off visually, mainly the dial being (appearing) too small for the watch (just my opinion of course).
    Again a bit of a surprise. I know the AP RO dual time is not very loved generally and in the RG here a bit blingy so I was expecting this to be picked rather than the ROC.

However I really like the AP Dual Time -it’s one of my favourites and gets a lot of wrist time...it’s also the only watch that gets any sort of comment (always positive), but I guess that’s the bling factor showing.

You've all got it wrong, wrong, wrong!

The answer it to get rid of the.......5 slot box and replace it with a 10 slot and four MORE watches :)

Journeyman
    I'd lose the Daytona, you have the AP chronograph already and it's an easy sale with solid returns and something you can source again if you ever changed your mind. Then you're collection would be all big-3 pieces! Lucky.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Unless you need the money it makes sense to keep them.

Personally I wouldn’t choose to own any of these watches and I certainly wouldn’t want that much money tied up in watches, but everyone’s different and that’s why asking the question is unlikely help you.

There’s always the chance someone will drop you a note offering to buy one or more of them, that may resolve your dilemma.......or test your resolve!

Craftsman
    Compared to the rest of your collection I think the AP ROC is looking a little bit dated so I'd probably look to move that on (although being a big AP fan I suspect id only end up replacing it with their latest iteration of the chrono!)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Unless you need the money it makes sense to keep them.

Personally I wouldn’t choose to own any of these watches and I certainly wouldn’t want that much money tied up in watches, but everyone’s different and that’s why asking the question is unlikely help you.

There’s always the chance someone will drop you a note offering to buy one or more of them, that may resolve your dilemma.......or test your resolve!
    I know what you mean re asking the question. But I’ve found the responses very interesting, it has sorted out some thoughts going on in my head.

Sell me the Daytona - simples
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Thats a cracking collection, with some very sort after pieces.
    Personally, I would move on one of the AP's.
    I would also think that unless you are particularly keen to hold onto the 5711, with how the current pricing is for this model, you could quite easily trade/sell and pick up a Patek Annual Calendar or even a Perpetual Calendar.

In my view

Move on the Aquanaut if you just want to move one on

If two, then the gold AP.

After moving both of those on buy a Lange

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    The RO Chrono doesn't look like their finest work - the most recent collections are much improved. So I'd chop that one.
    one more vote for that AP from me. you've got a chrono in the nice and rather highly sought after daytona.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’d get rid of the VC

First of all what a lovely line up.

For me, the AP Chrono would leave. The Daytona does a better job for filling the chrono position for me.

I had a 5711 blue fairly recently and traded it against a 5167, never looked back TBH after then picking up an AP Royal Oak with blue dial and selling my Daytona I do quite like the idea of having an Aquanaut AND a Nautilus AND a RO. Thats some where down the line though.

Aquanaut - I just don’t think it is a special watch and cash in whilst prices mad

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    I’d get rid of all but the VC

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    In my view

Move on the Aquanaut if you just want to move one on

If two, then the gold AP.

After moving both of those on buy a Lange

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I agree, I think that a Lange would go really well in the collection.

I would sell the Aquanaut and the gold AP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Get rid of that horrible Rolex. It just doesn’t in. This assumes you wear all of them? Is that assumption correct?

Perhaps share some more history of how you reached this collection - we are all watch enthusiasts here and you have some fine pieces.

Martyn.

Journeyman

Reducing collection - which one?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Get rid of that horrible Rolex. It just doesn’t in. This assumes you wear all of them? Is that assumption correct?

Perhaps share some more history of how you reached this collection - we are all watch enthusiasts here and you have some fine pieces.

Martyn.
    Good idea! Here’s a brief potted history of my ups and downs in the watch world...

My first ‘proper’ watch was a blue wavy line omega seamaster purchased new in 2006. I was not into watches then and ‘after research’ purchased the quartz version since it was more accurate . I still have it and it acts as my daily beater. I’ve worn this watch more than any other (including at the birth of my two daughters) so it has real sentimental value. It will appear in a photo later.

Then in 2011, my watch journey started properly when I decided (with the help of my brother) to purchase a mechanical watch. I wanted a Swiss one and my brother recommended Vacheron as a brand for reasons known only to him. Despite the dealer suggesting Lange or Patek, I was determined to get a Vacheron and ended up purchasing a new Patrimony Traditionelle in white gold. This is my dress watch and tends to get rolled out at more formal events.

I now got much more interested in watches and spent a good deal of time reading forums and beginning to pick up some knowledge. I thought about the dealer’s recommendation of Lange and I really liked (and still do) the Lange 1. But decided that it was just too expensive and I wanted something less dressy. So I went for the Glashutte Original Panomaticlunar XL. Lovely watch!

Now came my ‘independent’ phase. I fancied something closer to home and came across Speake-Marin watches. I met Peter Speake-Marin a couple of times - really nice chap. And purchased a new Serpent Calendar watch from him - interesting watch.

Unfortunately I didn’t get on with the Speake-Marin and it left soon, so by the end of 2012 I was left with 3, the omega, VC and GO.

Nothing happened for a few years and then in late 2014 for some reason I decided to buy this - on reflection not my best purchase but I suppose it meant I tried out a panerai.

In early 2015 to celebrate the birth of my second child, I decided to get my first PP. I picked up the phone and found a brand new one in stock at Boodles in London - different times then! I bought it that same day. However a week later PP reduced their prices by 10 percent in the U.K. I contacted PP about this and to their credit they refunded me the 10 percent. I think the aquanaut cost me £11k.

The collection now looked like this

To further illustrate how different times were, in July 2015 I walked into Selfridges and discovered that just that morning they had opened a new Rolex section. As a result Rolex had given them at least one new piece of every stainless steel sports watch. I had the choice of white and/or black Daytona, blnr, hulk, submariner etc. I came out with my first two Rolexes, a BLNR and a black face Daytona - quite a good day

After this the panerai didn’t last long in my collection.

In early 2016, I decided to try to get a 5711 blue face. I knew that the London dealers would have a long queue but I phoned round out of town dealers and managed to get one of the two that a dealer had coming in that year. In July it arrived (just after the Brexit vote) - a six month wait for a 5711, I was pretty happy with that and I also got the benefit of the 10 percent reduction that PP did in early 2015 so got it for around £16k.

Following Brexit there were rumours of watch price hikes all over the place. I’d wanted an AP RO for some time but the 41mm seemed too big for me. However, I saw a new 39mm RG RO dual time in a dealer. This was the priciest watch I’d ever considered and I knew it was no investment piece. But I was really drawn to it, and after mulling over it for a few days (and managing to get a bit of a discount) I went for it. The GO left the collection soon after which I did regret a bit

In early 2017, I spotted a NOS AP RO Chrono, again 39mm, which fitted well so this went into my collection replacing the Daytona (which went to my brother - today he is quite happy with that deal!).

The blnr also left around this time and in the summer I picked up a new white face ceramic Daytona

To leave my collection as it stands today

Last edited by Gavster; 17th January 2019 at 07:06.

That is a rather entertaining journey - a story showing how buying at the right time and putting some leg work through previous years has got you to this collection!

I have exactly the same GO you released - not one I wear much and considered selling a few times, but every time I put it back on it brings a smile. Have you considered getting rid of the VC to buy another GO (maybe a different one)?

Anyway, back to your original question I'd get rid of the AP chrono as it's a bit clumsy and I think the Daytona does the job better. I'd also consider losing one of the PPs - probably the Aquanaut as the Nautilus feels a slightly more special watch (though the price of the Nautilus is insane at the moment....). Selling both maintains you complication diversity and brand variation. It frees up some cash then for something else -maybe a rather lovely Perpetual Calendar (definitely in your budget if you release the Nautilus).

Journeyman
    Great story

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for the insight into the collection and what a great collection it is. From them for me the gold AP is the one to go. Too blingy and just not me.

Love the PP’s you have and don’t see them as too similar. The Daytona is a personal grail so love it.

I guess the way I’d decide is which gets the least time on your wrist. As that’s the one you are not getting the benefits from.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Either of the AP's. Personally I've never been a fan of their chronos as I find the dials too busy. In preference of selling it'd be the the rose gold then the white dial then the daytona (never been a fan of those either, lol). The rest are really lovely.
    Agreed. Both of the APs could be released for a hefty chunk. Keep the rest.

That is quite a lineup!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    That is a rather entertaining journey - a story showing how buying at the right time and putting some leg work through previous years has got you to this collection!

I have exactly the same GO you released - not one I wear much and considered selling a few times, but every time I put it back on it brings a smile. Have you considered getting rid of the VC to buy another GO (maybe a different one)?
    Thank you.
    I did really like my GO watch, but I don’t think I would get another one.

Journeyman
    I’d let go the VC and AP Chrono. The rest make up a great collection.

Journeyman
    Great story behind the watches Gavster.

I think 5 watches is a good number to have as you have variety as well as the opportunity to give each watch plenty of wrist time.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Fantastic update to the post!

Given I'd jump at the chance to own any of those 6 watches.. its a tough decision to make! I'd let the Aquanaut and one of the APs go and then pick up something like a Lange or a FP to fill the final slot!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by csinclair85 View Post
    Fantastic update to the post!

Given I'd jump at the chance to own any of those 6 watches.. its a tough decision to make! I'd let the Aquanaut and one of the APs go and then pick up something like a Lange or a FP to fill the final slot!
    Thanks. I do like that idea 👍 Always fancied a Lange or Journe
    Last edited by Gavster; 17th January 2019 at 10:11.

I'm not a chrono fan, so for me I'd def let one of those go. Prob the AP.
    The VC is the one that stands out the most from the crowd so I'd hold on to that.

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for the back story. Made for an interesting read. You could consider selling one AP and Aquanaut then adding perhaps a Patek annual calendar. I have a 5146J that stands the test of time. Of course there are newer editions. Or perhaps up the game and go for a Perpetual Calendar?

Cheers

Martyn.

Craftsman

Great collection & thanks for the insight into how you built it up. I must say i'm surprised at the call for you to drop the Vacheron.... I mean really? It is the only dress watch in the collection & it adds something none of the others have, so it would be stupid IMO to cut that from the collection.

The AP is is the duel time if i'm correct? And the sister version of the Vacheron Oversea's duel time that I own, again I would keep that watch as it is unique & it is also the only Dueltime/GMT type of watch within your collection setting it again apart from the rest.

If it was me I would drop the Daytona! The obvious reason being it is not on par with the other watches. You also have the AP Chronograph that 1v1 is so much better then the Daytona. The rolex also helps from currently being overpriced so there is that if things like that cross your mind.

I'd keep the Aquanaut because of the flexibility of it being on the rubberstrap & it then having a place as a watch that can be used dressed down or for sporting activities etc.

That's just my thoughts but if the Vacheron Patrimony is the one with the display back & it becomes available keep me in mind as i'd love to add it to my collection.

Gav, loved reading the history and journey behind each watch.
    I will be interested to see what you finally decide.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I would sell BOTH of the APs and get a Royal Oak 3 hand 39mm to replace them. The chunky look has had its day lol.

I would also consider swapping the nautilus for a Lange or something else. I'd keep the aquanaut as your only diver.

1 PP
    1 AP
    1 VC
    1 Lange
    1 Rolex (for wearing while working on the car haha)

Seems like a perfect 5 to me.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id ditch the VC or the Daytona.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    I’d get rid of all but the VC

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm with him....

actually love them all but in my view then get rid of any apart from the VC and get a Lange....now that's classy!!
    Last edited by Rich; 17th January 2019 at 14:27.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'm with him....

actually love them all but in my view then get rid of any apart from the VC and get a Lange....now that's classy!!
    What Lange would be your preference? (Within a budget of say £40k)

Master
    Stunning collection and one to be envious of, together with a great history :)

Goes to show timing is everything, patek reducing the price and honouring it with a refund, unheard of !

Sorry I haven't a clue which one to sell, but love the post. Sounds like the SMP also means a lot to you, funny how it is not always the most valuable watch that is the favourite!

I would keep the VC and the 5711, and go for an FPJ.

Craftsman
    What Lange would be your preference? (Within a budget of say £40k)

My absolute grail is this one:

The latest L&S 1815 Flyback Chronograph. Either in white face or black face (the latter my preference for legibility) in white gold. I have tried it on and....well....words not sufficient to explain....and it slips in at approx 40k retail....Maybe you can get a discount?

ps not my photos but grabbed from the interweb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8eZiQ6wFJQ

Last edited by Rich; 17th January 2019 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    My absolute grail is this one:

The latest L&S 1815 Flyback Chronograph. Either in white face or black face (the latter my preference for legibility) in white gold. I have tried it on and....well....words not sufficient to explain....and it slips in at approx 40k retail....Maybe you can get a discount?

Excellent Lange - also more wearable compared to a Datograph.

As I said above, I'd like to see a Perpetual Calendar in your collection - one of the Moser ones would be my choice.