closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Like a big kid

Craftsman

Like a big kid

I have a mamod stationary engine just like the one in this video. I can sit and watch it for ages, it combines engineering, naked flames and goes like the clappers what's not to love. I got this as a kid, imagine them being given in today's H&S environment.

https://youtu.be/jbzUSdSvIig

I remember my brother having one as a kid. He used methylated spirits to heat the boiler. I could never see the point as it just sat there and turned a flywheel. Like you though, I could probably sit and watch it for hours these days!

The kids would probably just drink it today!

My dad managed to get his one working again from his 50s childhood and my son and I love it. He sourced a missing valve from an enthusiasts' website. I bet there's a forum out there for stationary engine fans and someone has made a post on it about their watch...

We haven't managed to find the right kind of band to connect the piston to the fly wheel which is fixed a few inches away.

Not sure if this link works, but there's a video of our one here, rather more patina!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/427hw9HFy19kM8AQ7

I dug my 1950's/60's traction engine version out of the loft a few weeks ago - I will get around to giving it a light clean and seeing if it still runs (need to buy some meths).

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I dug my 1950's/60's traction engine version out of the loft a few weeks ago - I will get around to giving it a light clean and seeing if it still runs (need to buy some meths).
    Just remember (like I didn't!) that meths burns with an essentially invisible flame.

Couple of years back I inherited my uncles old Mamod steam engines and car that had fascinated me as a child. I bought some meths and decided to introduce my children to them - hoping it would lead them down a path of life long engineering wonder too. Went very well for the first couple of goes - then I was trying to work out why my hand felt like it was burning after a refill - turns out it was on fire. Doh!

Oh and it is also wise to replace the pressure relief valves - only after that first steaming did I check mine and discover they were all seized shut. Replacements were not expensive.

The smell and the noise took me right back instantly, wonderful toys.
    Last edited by Crazytrain; 28th January 2019 at 12:20.

Craftsman
    Or if you're letting the kids take control, solid fuel tablets may be safer than meths.

Either Mamod own or a third party brand.

However, there is some online discussion about tablets exploding when then get very old and damp. All adds to the fun!

It would be even more fascinating to watch if you run it on skunk instead of meth.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    I have the truck version in the loft. I used to make it carry heavy weights until the steel belts started to slip.

Blog Entries
    Had one of the stationary ones as a kid. Can't believe I never got hurt, some of the things we did with it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Yep, Dad to me; “Here you go son: meths, hot metal, steam, fire & box of matches.
    Go and have yourselves some fun with this toy.”

What could possibly go wrong?

And then there was the chemistry set. Had a huge mid-70s mega set that was better stocked than our High Street chemist. That set also had a meths burner because heat begets reaction and of course, why not throw in extra hazard.

Learned lots, all of which was unsupervised!

Anyone remember Jetex cars, boats and planes. You put a small capsule of solid fuel in a little jet engine, lit it with magnesium cord and they went like stink. Still get them on ebay.

Craftsman
    I always wanted a Mamod Traction Engine as a kid, but never got one..

44 years later, my wife bought me one for Xmas this year - Great fun..

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    Yep, Dad to me; “Here you go son: meths, hot metal, steam, fire & box of matches.
    Go and have yourselves some fun with this toy.”

What could possibly go wrong?

And then there was the chemistry set. Had a huge mid-70s mega set that was better stocked than our High Street chemist. That set also had a meths burner because heat begets reaction and of course, why not throw in extra hazard.

Learned lots, all of which was unsupervised!
    I used to love a chemistry set with the little meths burner. Learned a lot from those. Do they still make them?

Regarding Mamod, a friend of mine brought his traction engine to school and we had it running across the playground. Doubt if they'd allow it now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    My brother just bought one new, they still make them in the UK and they’ve hardly changed.
    https://www.mamod.co.uk/

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    i saved up and bought the Mamod steam roller when i was a boy.soon found out methalated spirits removes french polish from furniture !.i still have it and i am 63 now.i also picked up the traction engine model at a car boot sale.it works just great .going to give it to my sons boy [11yrs]and hope he gets much pleasure out of it .
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 1st February 2019 at 09:48.

Did anyone else manage set their fingers alight?

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I've still got the little train somewhere. I used the tablets but it went quite well. It was also quite good at melting bits of the kitchen floor as I recall. Mother was not amused...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Did anyone else manage set their fingers alight?

n2
    I still do, meths flame nigh on impossible to see. To check burner is alight, hold hand over burner, set hand alight.