closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai Base Models

Panerai Base Models

Hi,

I always said I would never own another after the mess around I had with the submersible I owned a few years back. I have in the past owned the Panerai logo 000 (I think it was) - a simple yet lovely watch.

Having a few Schofield watches also means I have a few 24mm straps - and whilst browsing I wandered across the new base model watches - which don't also break the bank.

Now not religiously following the ins and outs of Panerai models - has anyone owned the new ones (esp any of the white dials). I realise that there have been a few changes to set these as the starte models with snap backs rather than screwdown - and (this is the one bit I dont like..) is using standard springbars over the screws - or the clever pushbutton release.

Should these be ignored and the 8days luminors seen as the starting point. Tbh the only way I could see myself buying anything above the base model would be pre-owned.

I have also quite fancied the 42mm models of which a few are floating about - 22m straps removes the chance to use what I have :) - but the slightly smaller case might fit better on the 7 inch wrist.

Lots to ponder - any thoughts...

Cheers

Matt

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Hi,

I always said I would never own another after the mess around I had with the submersible I owned a few years back. I have in the past owned the Panerai logo 000 (I think it was) - a simple yet lovely watch.

Having a few Schofield watches also means I have a few 24mm straps - and whilst browsing I wandered across the new base model watches - which don't also break the bank.

Now not religiously following the ins and outs of Panerai models - has anyone owned the new ones (esp any of the white dials). I realise that there have been a few changes to set these as the starte models with snap backs rather than screwdown - and (this is the one bit I dont like..) is using standard springbars over the screws - or the clever pushbutton release.

Should these be ignored and the 8days luminors seen as the starting point. Tbh the only way I could see myself buying anything above the base model would be pre-owned.

I have also quite fancied the 42mm models of which a few are floating about - 22m straps removes the chance to use what I have :) - but the slightly smaller case might fit better on the 7 inch wrist.

Cheers

Matt

Poss similar to you loads of trouble with no help (pam25), however love the design.One of Eddies PRS 20 c does it for me, simple reliable and a joy to look at, I have no regrets.

Hi Matt,
    How about a Pam 337. It’s not (quite) a base model but it is 42mm with 24mm lug width so will make use of the straps you have?

Also only comes with black dial I think, so perhaps more against than for, but hopefully food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Hi,

Cheers

Matt
    Hi Matt,

From what I understand the newer base models (snap on case back, spring bars, 3 day movement) are probably worth staying away from, VFM ect. I'm lucky to have picked up one of the last 560's (8 day movement, base, sandwich dial) which I love, so far no issues and good second prices (wont lose much) if you look around.

44mm also doesn't wear that large, and you have the straps already! Nothing compares to an actual Pam (rather than homage). Happy hunting.

General feedback on the new base models doesn't seem to have been very good at all. The 8 days luminors might be a better starting point as you say. I'd personally buy used and try to pick up a nice 005 or 000 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    General feedback on the new base models doesn't seem to have been very good at all. The 8 days luminors might be a better starting point as you say. I'd personally buy used and try to pick up a nice 005 or 000 I think.
    Agree with this. If it has to be new then the 8 day models are the starting point, the cheaper models are just too much of a compromise. The older base models such as the 000 or 005 are excellent choice.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 8 days are definately the way to go, i've owned two the PAM00510 and the RG version PAM00511
    (although those two are base models as they have the seconds do-hickey), and as well as Zero

I'm not 100& about the base models, but the 511 and 510 have the newer cases which are different from older Luminors.

comparing the 510 & Zero
    -case is slightly slimmer on the 510
    -bezel is slimmer (height) on the 510
    -bezle is thinner (larger inner diameter) , so slightly larger crystal, so the dial looks bigger on 510
    -crystal is flatter than the zero, so less distoration at accute angles.

All very subtle differences, but noticeable when the watches are side by side. (ignoring any dial differences course)

I can take some better comparison pics if the OP is interested.. (but a cack one from insta below)

try a titanium base 176-177

I have an 19 year old Pam002 and it's a great watch. Classic.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The snap back case and spring bars does put me off, the fact that you only have 24mm straps wouldn't put me off, straps can be bought and sold, the case and spring bars that's a different matter.
    The 42mm Luminor is a chunky watch and the over sized crown guard gives it wrist presence, however the lug to lug is still quite small.

My 42mm 523 compared with my SD4000, not the greatest of pictures.

And with it bigger brother the 47mm 127

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    I have a 000 will never go for the new version compare to mine I think the difference are too much to justify the price difference

I`m out of touch with Panerai models.
    What`s the equivalent of the old Luminor Marina Pam111, what`s it`s model number now and how much?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    try a titanium base 176-177

176 surely?

I got the white base with small seconds. I know it has the snap back case but it is still a cool watch. The lack of spare strap looks s bit cheapskate. But overall it is a nicely finished watch with a lovely dial.

Craftsman
    If you fancy a white dial go back and have a look at the 114 or the 113 if you want a second hand

Craftsman
    How do you recognise a snap back case ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    How do you recognise a snap back case ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    yes i would like to know that

i also like the base models , rather fancy a 631 gutted i missed out on the one in sales corner the other month

Visually there is no difference (unlike the speedy pro compared to the speedy reduced for example) . The snap back case looks identical to the screw down. They look and feel as good as previous panerai models. But I have to say the 42 mm due collection is super nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    But I have to say the 42 mm due collection is super nice.
    Quite the opposite for me. The 30m WR is a joke, just so un-Panerai.

Journeyman
    Snapback models have 100m WR vs 300m on the screwback version,they also have one piece case instead of the older 2-3 pieces case

IIRC 63x,77x (except 779) and 1000/1005 are snapback models

Here is mine on a regatta strap which picks up the blue of the logo and an extra pic of my latest!