closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Carpet & Underlay Buying, it's a minefield to me, any advice please

Carpet & Underlay Buying, it's a minefield to me, any advice please

Hi,

After some more internal work on our house we think that we are finally ready to get the carpets changed throughout. We have no idea how old our current ones are, but they definetly
    need changing/updating.

Anyway, after trying to do some research, it seems that there are 1001 different types of both carpet and underlay and every retailer calls what appears to be the same product by a different name. I suspect that they could be the same product, but retailers don't want you to be able to shop around easily.

Has anyone mastered the art of working out what would be a good combination of both products for our use. We have two -almost- teenagers and so, I would like something both hardwearing and warm and ale to stand up to the rigours of busy family

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer

John

Journeyman
    Always buy the best underlay! Cloud 9 is generally the brand to go for. The thicker, the better. For carpet, if you want stain resistant, then I'd avoid wool and go for synthetic. You can normally bleach clean these too. Next to look at will be the type of weave. Short is easier to look after but does not feel as luxurious as a long weave.

We've chose Cloud 9 for decades now in various properties and are completely satisfied with it.

There's a range to choose from, essentially the variables are thickness, thermal insulation and sound insulation. We've had both Cirrus and Cumulus from the domestic range.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    +1 for Cumulus cloud 9 underlay - lasted well in the previous house and that's what we went with in the new one.

also bought the same carpet. with 2 kids, wool is out of the question - polyprop is the way to go. fewer worries with stains, moths etc. ours is cormar sensation twist which felt very soft and the twisted yarn makes it resilient as well so it stays soft for a long time

Craftsman
    we just put in cloud 9 underlay with a new range from abingdon carpets which was recommended to us. We needed a mix of 4m and 5m width. Seems ok so far.

https://www.abingdonflooring.co.uk/collections/ultra/

https://www.abingdonflooring.co.uk/warranties/

It has stainfree guarantee for life.

One thing that p1sses me off is that you pay for the carpet including wasteage, and that’s fair enough.

But, theres no wasteage with underlay as whole pieces do not have to be used. Yet they still charge you for it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    One thing that p1sses me off is that you pay for the carpet including wasteage, and that’s fair enough.

But, theres no wasteage with underlay as whole pieces do not have to be used. Yet they still charge you for it.
    Any sizeable off cuts you are left with, have them cut to size and get the edges whipped into matching runners or matts.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Any sizeable off cuts you are left with, have them cut to size and get the edges whipped into matching runners or matts.
    how do you do that?

People on eBay do it. Charge per linear metre. Got mats to every door in quality carpet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    People on eBay do it. Charge per linear metre. Got mats to every door in quality carpet.
    cool will check out, thanks

Craftsman
    found a local place that does it for £5 a metre.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

There's absolutely no excuse for a retailer charging you for underlay quantities based on the carpet roll size, as apposed to the room size. But the same could be said for you allowing this to happen.