In my book, the words 'investment property' and 'mortgage' shouldn't be in one sentence. I only started investing in real estate (commercial) áfter paying my mortgage. It's trying to earn money where, on the other hand, you're certain that you can say goodbye to your money when paying your mortgage every month.

I will not say that the 'investment + mortgage scheme' doesn't work. I only know that my 'investment without a mortgage' did work. After all, I was able to retire from my daily job when I was 55 y/old.

Another word of warning in an anecdote: one of my tenants got fleeced by a guy and the nearly sent my tenant into bankruptcy. He was unable to pay the rent. I could have kicked him out, but decided to leave him in my property so that he was able to sort things out. After all, it was clear he got fleeced and before that, he'd always paid on time and he had an interesting, thriving business. Leaving him in my building was what he needed to get back on his feet. 10 months later he was able to start paying the rent again. We struck a deal and we agreed that he would pay me the remaining rent within one year. Which he did. Within 4 months (!!!) all the money he owed me, was in my account.
Having said that: his rent provided me with a steady income. 10 months not receiving rent is not something you want when you have not enough 'spare' to bridge that gap! I was lucky enough to survive due to the other rental incomes from others. But don't rely on only a few tenants for your full income - or money to pay your mortgage.

Menno