closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 50 year watches

Master

50 year watches

So I’m 50 this year and petitioning the wife hard for a watch to mark the occasion.
    There also seem to be a number of watches that also mark their 50th anniversary, the Zenith El Primero, Heuer Monaco, Seiko Astron and a Seiko Chrono I forget the designation of. There’s also the speed master connection with the anniversary of the moon landing.
    Front runner for me at the moment is the Monaco as I’ve always fancied one but was wondering if there were any other watches that have a 50th anniversary connection this year.
    I’m not after a birth year watch though just something that has a connection to 1969 in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if you've considered the Speedmaster MkII reissue, not strictly a 50th anniversary model but they were first introduced in '69 so as good as and can be picked up at very good value if you shop around.

I’m also considering a 50th Annie of some description, as 1969 my birth year. Did contemplate the inevitable speedy but I’m sure it will be priced silly high.

Of those I would have the Zenith. In fact the El Primero is on my list to try at some point so I wouldn't need much of an excuse to buy one.

Craftsman
    I am 50 this year, so am looking for something fitting.
    I would really like a SD43 but the chances of getting one of those from an AD this year are slim!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    If it’s not a Speedie (5.5 to 6k for that year) I’d go for the El Primero. But as you didn’t necessarily want a birth year watch. Why get a nineties Speedie just prior to the trite changeover 97’ish. you’ll get a realitively modern watch with less cotton wool usage worry, but still have a vintage tritium vibe. Prices should be more sensible as well.

Master
    I’m just not drawn to the Zenith. Much like BMW I can appreciate the engineering but they leave me cold or their chronographs do at least. I should add that I really do need to see one in the flesh so to speak though.

I’m sure whatever omega release for the speedy anniversary will be sold out in seconds to those with a better relationship with omega ADs than I and will cost silly money to boot.

I spoke to someone in the TH boutique in Bicester village yesterday and they were dropping heavy hints about something happening to celebrate the Monaco at Baselworld but to be honest I’d be happy with a standard blue cal 11 or 12. It’s just that I’ve had the chance to buy a Monaco in the past and passed it up ( for good reasons at the time) so have that inner doubt. It’s also a pretty polarising make not that it really matters.

In all I was just wondering if any other manufacturers did anything significant 50 years ago.

Journeyman
    A SD43 is what you need.
    A couple of years out but a 50th anniversary release nonetheless.

Master
    If that’s £123 I’ll have one right now

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    If that’s £123 I’ll have one right now
    You and me both

Ok so the red lettering is missing after a service replacement at some point on its life but I’m loving a bit of 69. Birth year for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chime101 View Post
    Ok so the red lettering is missing after a service replacement at some point on its life but I’m loving a bit of 69. Birth year for me.
    Love that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    If it’s not a Speedie (5.5 to 6k for that year) I’d go for the El Primero. But as you didn’t necessarily want a birth year watch. Why get a nineties Speedie just prior to the trite changeover 97’ish. you’ll get a realitively modern watch with less cotton wool usage worry, but still have a vintage tritium vibe. Prices should be more sensible as well.
    I did wonder what was trite about the 1997ish changeover, as my Speedmaster is a 1997 one, but I think you suffered from autocorrect

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    I would really like a SD43 but the chances of getting one of those from an AD this year are slim!
    I was born in 1967.

I put my name down while I was 49, and picked it up 3 weeks before I was 51.

Infact, I should get the warranty card as an early 52nd birthday prezzie.

Unworn on SC right now mate!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Unworn on SC right now mate!!
    Thanks for the heads up, but as it is for my 50th I am hanging out for a new one from an AD with my name on it. I know that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme but it will be a keeper.
    I also don't want one badly enough to pay over list!

Craftsman
    Basel in a couple of weeks may we’ll provide an answer.

Boring I know, but for me it would have to be a 50th anniversary Speedy. It is probably going to be one of the rare ltd edition Speedies that will rise in value (not that resale ever matters to me) over the years Rolex style

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    May 1969 so 50 shortly,
    Friend sold me this today....will be wrapped up for the big day. And just serviced so running beautifully.

Thanks for the heads up, but as it is for my 50th I am hanging out for a new one from an AD with my name on it. I know that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme but it will be a keeper.
    I also don't want one badly enough to pay over list!
    Fully understand and agree with both points mate....

A Blancpain 50 fathoms?
    A fathom for every year......

Master
    Blog Entries

Journeyman
    Get the new gold speedmaster, you can both celebrate 50 together!

I'm kidding, it's hideous

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Saw the current model this AM going through STN... didn't think i'd like the "square" but was somewhat interesting... the 50 year model might be worth a look, if i can find an AD with one.. in time
    Last edited by Dakar; 12th March 2019 at 22:37.

Have you thought about vintage? It's the 50th anniversary of the Chronomatic this year: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ch...th-anniversary

The actual anniversary date of the unveiling has actually just passed (3rd March).

Steve

Master
    It’s a nice thought but me, I’d take the money I want to (or afford to ) spend and buy the watch that really floats my boat, special edition or not.