closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch straps with space suit look?

Craftsman

Watch straps with space suit look?

Does anyone make straps like that? White straps with textile that resembles the outer layer of space suits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal...eoroid_Garment ?

Would love to get something like that to strap on my speedy.

I'd imagine the cloth could be placed on a rubber/leather base to give it some body, with some nice stitching it could kinda look like a white Hirsch trieste. Or maybe a nato-style one with velcro would be cool as well!

I've seen white nato's but they're not quite the same thing. Saw a integrated strap on a fashion watch that came close as far as looks are concerned but I lost the picture...

What do you all think?

Re: Watch straps with space suit look?

have you tried gasgasbones? http://www.gasgasbones.com/index.html he makes some awesome speedy/nasa style straps, I have the V1 maybe it could be made in white.

Good luck and LMK if you have any look, could be interested myself :wink:

Baden

Here is the original cloth used on the outer layer of the EVA Suit, with the High-Air Velcro Tape used to secure it.

Click on photos to enlarge.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by John Vargas
    Here is the original cloth used on the outer layer of the EVA Suit, with the High-Air Velcro Tape used to secure it.

Click on photos to enlarge.

How big a piece is that? Looks like a watchstrap could do with a little finer/thinner woven texture.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Baden H
    have you tried gasgasbones? http://www.gasgasbones.com/index.html he makes some awesome speedy/nasa style straps, I have the V1 maybe it could be made in white.

Good luck and LMK if you have any look, could be interested myself :wink:

Baden
    He's closed shop for the coming six months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid Nunc?
    Does anyone make straps like that? White straps with textile that resembles the outer layer of space suits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal...eoroid_Garment ?

My X-33's presentation box is made of the spacesuit material, I seem to recall reading this amongst the paperwork.
    Not much help to you though, unless you can get your hands on one!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

My X-33's presentation box is made of the spacesuit material, I seem to recall reading this amongst the paperwork.
    Not much help to you though, unless you can get your hands on one!

R

Looks like great material for a strap, it's different from the picture above though:

Quote Originally Posted by "Squid Nunc

Looks like great material for a strap, it's different from the picture above though:

[img
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/raptor1979/x4a.jpg?t=1210803378[/img]
    As I said I cannot recall for sure where I read it; perhaps not within the Omega paperwork (my initial thought) but from a web-site like Chuck Maddox's or similar?

If I find the source I'll post it up.

Good luck with your search!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    As I said I cannot recall for sure where I read it; perhaps not within the Omega paperwork (my initial thought) but from a web-site like Chuck Maddox's or similar?

If I find the source I'll post it up.

Good luck with your search!

R
    I think you're right, found some quotes saying the box was space suit material as well.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the (look of) material changed over the years or is even different on different kinds of suits.

Now the only question is where to get the stuff. Shouldn't be impossible to find if Omega can use it for boxes. Then ABP or someone like them can make a strap from it if you supply them with the material.

Craftsman

Btw, apparently the stuff is called 'beta cloth': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_cloth

How big a piece is that? Looks like a watchstrap could do with a little finer/thinner woven texture.
    Its about 8”, by 8”.

If you want this exact material, which is only used on the outer layer of the space suits, then this is the only weave made. It is also a Kevlar, Gore-Tex, ad Nomex fabric, so, it’s extremely difficult to work with.

Btw, apparently the stuff is called 'beta cloth': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_cloth
    Beta Cloth is no longer used...

The material and specs that make the outer layer of todays spacesuits is...

YARN: 400 DEN. Gore-Tex, 200 DEN. NOMEX 2 PLY, 400 DEN. Kevlar 29.
    WEIGHT: 14 oz sq. yd
    WEAVE: 2 Layer Plain
    THICKNESS: 0.22"

Craftsman

[quote=John Vargas]
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid Nunc?":1swaus0f]Btw, apparently the stuff is called 'beta cloth': [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_cloth
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_cloth[/url]
    Beta Cloth is no longer used...

The material and specs that make the outer layer of todays spacesuits is...

YARN: 400 DEN. Gore-Tex, 200 DEN. NOMEX 2 PLY, 400 DEN. Kevlar 29.
    WEIGHT: 14 oz sq. yd
    WEAVE: 2 Layer Plain
    THICKNESS: 0.22"[/quote:1swaus0f]

Thanks for the info! Do you know where to get this stuff?
    You say it's hard to work with but I wouldn't mind giving it a try if it isn't too expensive.

Thanks for the info! Do you know where to get this stuff?
    You say it's hard to work with but I wouldn't mind giving it a try if it isn't too expensive.
    I sure do, I even know the person who designed it…

The problem is you have to purchase it by the role...and you have to be NASA to get it. Its stock NASA name is Ortho-Fabric…

http://quest.nasa.gov/space/teachers/suited/5emu1.html

The will make a similar weave for you, but you again have to special order it in a 250 Yard Role, and it will not be the same thread, and weave configuration that NASA uses, as that is for NASA USE ONLY.

Due to the current regulations, you will also have to prove why you need it, and for what purpose. As this now falls under National Security.

They did not supply Omega, therefore what Omega is using is not genuine space suit material.

Only one company makes it, they gave me a sample for my NASA collection, and since I am working with them on making a 100% Kevlar Strap.

It is very difficult to work with. You have to have special machines.

Here is some of my communication with them; I have had to black out some of the areas.

John

Craftsman

Interesting. That 100% kevlar strap sounds very promising!
    Unfortunately, your story means ortho-fabric is a definite no-go for a watch strap though.
    Do you know if maybe beta-cloth is more easily available as it's no longer in use by NASA? Even if the stuff is redundant, It could still give a strap a proper 'space look'.

ROTFLOL! I'm sure you had good reason to do so, but if it had been me, I wouldn't have been able to resist the temptation to black out some perfectly innocuous text, or perhaps an entire randomly selected paragraph :D

It's just so Area 51 somehow :D :D

Master

I am often amazed at the variety of people that John Vargas knows! :)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by draz
    ROTFLOL! I'm sure you had good reason to do so, but if it had been me, I wouldn't have been able to resist the temptation to black out some perfectly innocuous text, or perhaps an entire randomly selected paragraph :D

It's just so Area 51 somehow :D :D

The reason some if it is blacked out, is I made a promise to the Manufacture, and my friend not to divulge their contact information, or their stock numbers for what they manufacture.

They generally work under government contract (hence, the blacking out of the contract award numbers), and they engineer for the Aerospace Industries, usually in military application.

They don’t want to be bothered outside of their existing contracts and research and development.

Actually, some of thier deigns are Area-51 in application.

For example, the Ortho-Novo Cloth is only 0.22MM thick, yet it can stop a .45 Caliber Bullet, and it is cut proof as well.

Most Bullet proof jackets only stop bullets (they don’t stop knife attacks, and are not cut proof, and most cut proof vests are not bullets proof (they only work against knife or razor cuts).

John

Interesting. That 100% kevlar strap sounds very promising!
    Unfortunately, your story means ortho-fabric is a definite no-go for a watch strap though.
    Do you know if maybe beta-cloth is more easily available as it's no longer in use by NASA? Even if the stuff is redundant, It could still give a strap a proper 'space look'.
    Thanks!

It is, but it is a lot of hard work, and thinking outside the box.

I will see if I can find some Beta-Cloth for you.

John

For example, the Ortho-Novo Cloth is only 0.22MM thick, yet it can stop a .45 Caliber Bullet, and it is cut proof as well.
    Of course, a lot of things can stop a .45 caliber bullet. It's mostly a question of how hot the load is and how far away from the muzzle you place the item in question :D

On a more serious note: I am secretly impressed with the stuff you manage to dig up at times, but, of course, I'd never disclose that in public.

Whoops... :lol:

Craftsman

John
    Cheers!

[quote=Squid Nunc?]
    Quote Originally Posted by "John Vargas":2oy671zm

John
    Cheers![/quote:2oy671zm]

I contacted the original manufacture of Beta Cloth, and spoke to the man who originally designed, it and sold it in the 1960’s and 1970’s. They tied to find one sample for me to give to you, buy they disposed of all of it.

Beta Cloth, has not been used since the mid 1970’s. No one makes, real Beta Cloth anymore, as “Beta Cloth” was only used for NASA, and made when NASA requested it. It was glass and cloth fibers that were individually coated then weaved, and sent to Delaware, where the Spacesuits were originally made. Beta Cloth was instantly replaced the moment Kevlar was introduced.

There are companies, who made something similar to Beta Cloth, but it is all fiberglass now…however, it is not pliable/soft as the NASA version (it is actually very rigid), and would be extremely difficult to manufacture a strap out of it.

I was given the contact number for a maker of the new product, but I doubt it will be of any use to you.

Craftsman

[quote=John Vargas][quote="Squid Nunc?":38dff662]
    Quote Originally Posted by "John Vargas":38dff662

John
    Cheers![/quote:38dff662]

I contacted the original manufacture of Beta Cloth, and spoke to the man who originally designed, it and sold it in the 1960’s and 1970’s. They tied to find one sample for me to give to you, buy they disposed of all of it.

Beta Cloth, has not been used since the mid 1970’s. No one makes, real Beta Cloth anymore, as “Beta Cloth” was only used for NASA, and made when NASA requested it. It was glass and cloth fibers that were individually coated then weaved, and sent to Delaware, where the Spacesuits were originally made. Beta Cloth was instantly replaced the moment Kevlar was introduced.

There are companies, who made something similar to Beta Cloth, but it is all fiberglass now…however, it is not pliable/soft as the NASA version (it is actually very rigid), and would be extremely difficult to manufacture a strap out of it.

I was given the contact number for a maker of the new product, but I doubt it will be of any use to you.[/quote:38dff662]

No, any hard rigid material won't do for a watchstrap I'm afraid...
    Thanks so much for asking around for me though, I would'nt have had any idea whom to go to for it myself, and it seems like you/they went in pretty deep.
    I really appreciate that, even if the result isn't what i had hoped for.

Cheers,
    Bas