closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Appointing a solicitor for a leasehold sale

Appointing a solicitor for a leasehold sale

My flat will be going on the market this week, and my estate agents are, unsurprisingly, proffering their legal services.

My pressing question is: is there any need for me to get a solicitor involved before I have a buyer?

My options seem to be
    (1) the solicitor who dealt with the sale when I bought the property a few years ago. They are not local
    (2) the well respected local legal firm
    (3) the estate agents' own legal department

I can imagine there might be benefits to (3) but I don't want to sign up to them if they can't find me a buyer.... My gut instinct is (2) but this is my first time selling.

PS 5avvy, if you're reading this, your inbox is full again!
    Last edited by Der Amf; 1st April 2019 at 10:55.

Craftsman
    There is no need to engage solicitors until you have a buyer. No harm in getting quotes though. I have used solicitors recommended by the estate agent for convenience in the past and they were ok. Generally property transactions are relatively straightforward so I have not found there to be much difference in cost or service received between different firms.

My only recommendation is don't use the do it yourself online solicitors (Edit Premier Property Lawyers). They got the job done eventually but it required a lot of chasing and effort on our part.

Master
    No 2 for sure. The third option should be avoided in my view - you want the conveyancing solictor working for you, not the estate agent. I think even if you don't engage them you should get quotes so you are ready to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    There is no need to engage solicitors until you have a buyer. No harm in getting quotes though. I have used solicitors recommended by the estate agent for convenience in the past and they were ok. Generally property transactions are relatively straightforward so I have not found there to be much difference in cost or service received between different firms.

My only recommendation is don't use the do it yourself online solicitors. They get the job done but it requires a lot of chasing on your part.
    Cheers, that's got me nicely prepared for when their legal department change gear later today from the mandatory checks to trying to sign me up I'll pop along to the local solicitors and get a quote from them in the meanwhile.

Paying for someone else to deal with the building's owners will be money spent with the greatest of pleasure!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Cheers, that's got me nicely prepared for when their legal department change gear later today from the mandatory checks to trying to sign me up I'll pop along to the local solicitors and get a quote from them in the meanwhile.

Paying for someone else to deal with the building's owners will be money spent with the greatest of pleasure!
    Watch out for the estate agents lawyers being a white labelled version of Premier Property Lawyers. As I said above, got the job done eventually but created far more stress than is usual / necessary for such a transaction.

Good luck with the sale. The last leasehold property I sold was a nightmare as the freehold owners changed hands whilst selling as did the management company.

Watch out for the estate agents lawyers being a white labelled version of Premier Property Lawyers
    What a fantastically useful hint. I googled the name of the company I had been given, and found it was a list of "trading names listed under the Premier Property Lawyers bandwagon".

While I was writing this, I got the phone call from them doing the legal checks, and rather than listening to their sales pitch I got them just to email me the breakdown of fees.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    What a fantastically useful hint. I googled the name of the company I had been given, and found it was a list of "trading names listed under the Premier Property Lawyers bandwagon".

While I was writing this, I got the phone call from them doing the legal checks, and rather than listening to their sales pitch I got them just to email me the breakdown of fees.
    In which case I wouldn't use! Their fees will probably be the cheapest as its all online but that's because you'll have to do most of the work yourself!! Getting a couple of quotes from local firms is how I'd precede or even recommendations from family members / colleagues as the solicitors don't need to be local.

In which case I wouldn't use! Their fees will probably be the cheapest as its all online but that's because you'll have to do most of the work yourself!! Getting a couple of quotes from local firms is how I'd precede or even recommendations from family members / colleagues as the solicitors don't need to be local.
    I think I'll get a quote from the company in my neighbourhood, who I can pop in and visit, and I'll get a quote from the company I used when buying the place, who given their location far away from London will probably be cheaper, and then I'll make a decision when I need to. Thanks for the very helpful advice!

My advice would be to get a few quotes from local solicitors, although you can use conveyancers located anywhere in the country (I'm assuming it's England and Wales) I've always found it handy to be able to drop signed documents off in person, rather than rely on post.

Make sure you get a no sale no fee quote. The last time we moved (about a year ago) we used a firm connected with one of our local Estate Agents, although we didn't realise that until well into the process. They were good. Our last move took about 18 months from offer to completion, and there were about four different chains over the timeline. I hate to think what we would have spent on legal fees if we'd been billed on hours spent. Stay away from the on-line operations. They will be cheaper. I've never instructed one, but the buyer of my late Father's flat did, and it wasn't a good experience. A simple deal with one buyer and one seller in the chain took about 6 months from me being granted Probate with the buyer already lined up.

Remember though that you could use the same firm twice and have completely different experiences, as it all comes down to the person handling your particular transaction, and most firms are not one-man bands.

I've used solicitors in Wales and Yorkshire for London property transactions, both based on having had very satisfactory dealings with the firms in question. Distance is immaterial in my opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I've used solicitors in Wales and Yorkshire for London property transactions, both based on having had very satisfactory dealings with the firms in question. Distance is immaterial in my opinion.
    Would you mind sharing the details please (especially the Yorkshire one)? I'm looking now for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    The third option should be avoided in my view - you want the conveyancing solictor working for you, not the estate agent
    Thanks for that - that's what my gut reaction was.

In which case I wouldn't use! Their fees will probably be the cheapest as its all online but that's because you'll have to do most of the work yourself!!
    I've now got three quotes. The firm in Wales (long story) I used to buy the property a few years ago are not only cheaper (by far) than the firm here in my London neighbourhood, they're also cheaper than the big firm connected to the estate agents. I know them, they know the property, they're the cheapest, I know who I'll be choosing.

Matter very nicely put to bed. Thank you for all the thoughts and insights, I feel like I learnt a lot very quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Would you mind sharing the details please (especially the Yorkshire one)? I'm looking now for one.
    It’s West Yorkshire- AWB Charlesworth in Bradford. Kerry Milwain is a meticulous conveyancer who has handled a couple of transactions for my family, and she would be my go-to person for any other UK property deals.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    It’s West Yorkshire- AWB Charlesworth in Bradford. Kerry Milwain is a meticulous conveyancer who has handled a couple of transactions for my family, and she would be my go-to person for any other UK property deals.
    Many thanks - I shall get a quote!

There is zero benefit from option 3, did that on my very first property as a teen - never ever again, I have also gone as far as to refuse to buy/sell if the other side uses a ‘joke’ solicitor!

Little ending to this: the knowledge that the sale of my tricky lease was being dealt with by the same solicitor who helped me buy it proved wonderful for peace of mind. The fact that they were a cheap option, too, was just wonderful. Small firm = great personal service.