closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Costa Rica....any advice?

Craftsman
    the country where every village is a nation

Costa Rica....any advice?

It seems that in a few weeks I´ll have to go to Costa Rica and spend there some working days, and hopefully a weekend.
    Any advice, tips and places to visit are more than welcome.
    Since I don´t have any GMT in my collection (I´ll have to fix that) I´ll take with me my PRS-11-DN on a rubber strap 8)

Re: Costa Rica....any advice?

Watch out for dinosaurs running around! :D

(Jurassic Park was set on a small island there)

Master

Sounds great. Have a wonderful time. :)

Best wishes,
    AP:)

I take it you are going to San Jose.

Places to see in San Jose are the Gold Museum, the National Museum, Saban Park (I love them)…There are so many things to do there!

Here is a short list…

http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attra ... -sa-sj.htm

If time permits, any of these parks, private areas are wonderful.

Corcovado National Park

Palo Verde National Park

La Fortuna de Bagaces

Barra Honda Caverns

Santa Rosa National Park

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Wilson Botanical Gardens

Caño Negro wildlife refuge

Cerro Chirripó

Manuel Antonio National Park

Monteverde

Also visit Turrialba, is a wonderful place, it located between three extinct volcanoes, and there are wonderful restaurants and it very relaxed, and informal. It’s in the mountain region, a couple of hours drive, but worth it.

John

Grand Master

Was there in February but only for a couple of days before travelling to St. Lucia, great place but a cannot add anything else to John's list - although I only went to Saban Park ...
    /vince ..

http://www.cristal-ballena.com/

This is the hotel of a very good friend of mine. I'm sure he's got some tips for you. Pm me if you want his email address :-)

Perhaps I can manage some % off :-)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Craftsman

Thanks a lot for your answers and good wishes guys.
    I´m going to San Jose for sure, and perhaps some other cities in the country. In a week I´ll have a defined schedule and travel plan.
    Only think I know is that the company there is planning my whole trip.
    John,
    If I manage to have some free time I´ll try to visit some of the places out of San Jose that you´ve mentioned. Thanks for the link.
    Mike,
    thanks a lot for your offer. I see that the hotel is a bit far from San Jose. If I finally can extend my trip I´ll bear it in mind.

One more question.....I´ve read that is recommended to get a malaria vaccination, but a friend has told me that insect repellent is enough....any info about this? I´ve asked the doc and he´s told me to call him back on monday (so, no idea :? ).

Craftsman

My pleasure...

You don't need malaria pills...San Jose is a low risk area. If you feel you need to take something for it, chloroquine is the only type that works in that region...

One place that you should go to is the Green Bar, in San Jose, it’s a really nice Bar and Restaurant, its not a 4-5 star place, but the food is good, and the atmosphere is great.

Avoid eating and drinking at the hotels, and tourist attractions, I am not cheap, and I spend lavishly, but the last time I was there the hotels charged $5.00 a beer, the Green Bar charged $0.50 for the same beer. It’s a mix of Tico’s (what Costa Rican’s call themselves), and foreigners, mostly Americans.

I can recommend some other places to eat, and drink but they are mostly Tico, but they are still great, but the Green Bar is a nice place.

Enjoy you time there, and have fun; Costa Rica is a great place!

John

Had a bit of a giggle when i saw this. I went to Costa Rica once in 1981, came back with the missus:-) Survived 26 years! Anyway i will send you my son's phone number by PM because he is "back home" for a couple of months before he starts his basic training (he has decided to join the Sappers). The interview went a bit like: "speak any languages son?" - "Yes sir, two, German and Spanish fluently, as a native" - "Oh? and how's that?" - Well sir, i have spent my school holidays in Costa Rica where i live with my Aunts and Uncles, we do things like fishing and hunting in the Jungle (the real deal, not some managed farm, they are only for the Gringo's - sorry John) camping out for weeks at a time." - "Really? Sign here son!"
    A fabulous country and where i will retire to, on the beach at Cocal. When i first went to San Jose in 1981 there was one petrol station in the centre, now there are dozens. The general population has only really had cars for the last fifteen years but now the centre is so choked they operate an odd numberplate - even number plate scheme for traffic access. I avoid San Jose if i can, we live on the outskirts, but it takes only 15 minutes by taxi.
    If you get the chance, there is a fabulous "Cafe" on the main drag, just down from the National Theatre where all the Mariachis congregate every night called La Esmerelda. If you want to see real Mariachi's doing a "Battle of the Bands" style evening at no cost other than a bottle of beer, go here.
    Unfortunately the explosion in wealth has also brought an explosion in criminality and petty theft is endemic. I am really careful and street wise (at least i hope i am) but i have had my wallet nicked in San Jose, the only time it has ever happened to me. Split your cash up and my advice is use a moneybelt under your shirt as the thieves will do a snatch and run. DO NOT wear a gold necklace - it won't last an hour and i just don't bother with a watch at all. The biggest thieves by far are the Nicaraguans and they are universally hated by the Ticos.
    I have a picture somewhere of my Uncle Fernando coming out of El Banco National de Costa Rica, a Mac 10 in one hand, covered in blood and dragging the only suriving member of a hold up gang out by the collar. He is an officer in the sort of FBI out there and a couple of clowns decided to hold up the bank, then the alarm went off - then they took hostages. He negotiated the release of the hostages in exchange for him being the hostage. You can guess the rest! A truly great guy and someone i am proud to know.
    If you want to learn true family values, go live there (or any other Hispanic country) and you will quickly realise just how badly disjointed we have become in the Western World. My mother in-law out there is well looked after at home by her family and that means all of us, in whatever way we can. When my extended family visit here (after negotiating immigration - another story) they are horrified when the proliferation of "Old Folks homes" are explained to them. They have an alternative and in my view much better idea.
    So no, know nothing at all about the place.

I was going to offer the “keep your hands on you wallet at all times”, advice, but, I didn't want to scare him.

Now, that the cat is out the bag, so to speak, watch out for the Hotel “Bar Flies”, while you are at it...they want more than a free drink...

Craftsman

Hi guys,
    Been out for a week without access to the net.....thanks again for your answers and pm replied. You´ve been very helpful.