Venison Chili

Ingredients:

• 1. 2-2.5lbs of Ground Venison
    2. 2lbs of Soaked Kidney Beans / or 16oz Canned Red Kidney Beans, do not drain
    3. 2lbs of Diced Tomatoes / or 16oz Canned Diced Tomatoes, do not drain
    4. 3 Medium Onions Finely Diced
    5. 3 Fresh Bay Leaves (Dry is fine, make sure they are whole)
    6. ½ - ¾ Clove of Garlic, Finely Minced
    7. Two 6oz Cans of Tomato Paste
    8. Teaspoon of Olive Oil
    9. Salt to Taste
    10. Pepper to Taste
    11. Chili Powder to taste (I make my own)
    12. Cayenne Pepper (ground/powdered), Optional
    13. Sour Cream
    14. Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    15. Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese

Cooking Instructions:

• Put the teaspoon of olive oil on the bottom of the saucepan, and add the venison. Venison has little to no fat, therefore the olive oil keeps it from burning, if using regular beef, you can omit the olive oil, and then drain fat after browning (if fat is an issue, but do so, before adding other ingredients).

Brown venison until almost all the pink/red is brown, on medium heat, add salt and pepper to taste. Then add finely chopped onions and sauté onions until tender. Then add minced garlic and cook until venison is completely brown.

Turn range/stovetop to low, add the Bay Leaves, then add Red Kidney Beans (undrained), and Diced Tomatoes (undrained). Stir, and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes (cover when not stirring). Then add Tomato Paste, and stir until completely mixed in saucepan.

Simmer (covered) for at least a ½ an hour (the longer the better), I let it sit on the lowest possible setting for several hours, stirring occasionally, you want to make sure that it doesn't dry out, and that it only thickens (if simmering for a long time make sure it is covered).

You want to cook it for at least an hour…prior to the last ½ hour, (I do it about an hour or more, prior to eating) to let the seasonings mix, I add the Chili Powder and stir it well. Add to your taste.

*Note the Chilli Powder won't make it "Hot", it just adds spice…so the more you add, the more of a "Chili Flavour", it will have. To make it "Hotter", I add Cayenne Pepper to it; this is to taste as well. With Cayenne Pepper, the more you add, the "Hotter", it will become.

Serving:

• Serve Chili in a Bowl, and then top with Shredded Monterrey Jack, and Sharp Cheddar, then top Cheese with Sour Cream.

*Freeze unused portion*

Serve With:

• This is subjective to personal taste; I serve mine with either Cornbread, or Flour Tortilla's depending on the season. If you are going to serve with Tortilla's, warm Tortilla's in a frying pan on medium heat, with a little bit of butter on the frying pan to keep them from sticking.

Drink With:

• Beer

Enjoy!

John