Re: ROLEX SEA DWELLER.

you have checked the rolex site???

Master

Quote Originally Posted by NOODLES25
    ... the new SD?
    The SD is dead. Long live the DS.... :shock:

Frank

PS: What an awful watch - but it will sell.

Blog Entries

Try this link

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...light=deep+sea

Just looked at a site that had it listed for Nov/Dec when it is due for not £4700.00 ( thats list) not as was £6500.00 but now £9000.00 :shock: total f'in madness.

My advice look around for a decent now discontinued SD ,GMT or Sub no date.

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master

I have an SD but wanted to see the DS.Why put that awful text on the watch?

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

My AD is expecting first in Septmber.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

I have an SD but wanted to see the DS.Why put that awful text on the watch?
    It has been the subject of much debate. Whatever anyone thinks of it, it will attract much attention and sell way over list for quite some time I suppose.

The thing that makes it so ugly for me is is the text. Looking at the general design I think Rolex had a chance to come up with a chunky rolexy ' PloProf ' type super diver that would have had us all falling over. For me it looks like they didn't get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    ....... For me it looks like they didn't get it right.
    I am going to wait until I see one before I say anything. I didn't particularly like the YM when it first came out but now I do ... it's a complicated process.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

SHS !!! Why, oh why? :(

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Just looked at a site that had it listed for Nov/Dec when it is due for not £4700.00 ( thats list) not as was £6500.00 but now £9000.00 total f'in madness.
    Martin, is this for real? Discontinue a watch and then get a replacement out costing more than twice as much?
    Like you said, F'kn madness!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tekkno
    Just looked at a site that had it listed for Nov/Dec when it is due for not £4700.00 ( thats list) not as was £6500.00 but now £9000.00 total f'in madness.
    Martin, is this for real? Discontinue a watch and then get a replacement out costing more than twice as much?
    Graham

Only to our eyes not to Rolex who can do it for why?cos they can and there are plenty of punters out there ready and more than willing to pony up the readies.

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Grand Master

In essence it's a nice enough watch, but at that price it's not worth it, Rolex are starting to lose their appeal to me with some of the minor changes lately, and i guess it's the same for a few others as the older models are now holding their value more and selling well.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    They are going to have to make the watches bigger and bigger if they are going to fit all that text on the dial. They’ve even managed to put text on the bezel too. :shock:

It makes me think of the plastic stickers that they put on consumer electronics and that are supposed to describe all the technical benifits (HDMI, 70 Watts output etc). But you can peel those stickers of so they're pretty harmless.

I we would apply Rolex’s tactics to Ferrari for instance then the poor cars sides would all covered in gigantic text "V12 600 HP ceramic brakes". With a bit of luck they would leave enough of the windscreen free so that you could see the road. :twisted:

As soon as I get mine I will post a few with pleasure. :o

Isn't list £4750? - anyone paying more needs their head examined IMHO - give it a year and they'll be everywhere.

Monstrosity in my eyes, just wrong on most counts - not seen it in the flesh obviously, but I'm not at all keen on eg the new GMT

Why over 4k for an over-engineered SD with scribble all over it? :roll:

Anything over £4k just seems to sit in AD windows - 2-tone subs, YM's....................

Master

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad

Anything over £4k just seems to sit in AD windows - 2-tone subs, YM's....................
    Stainless steel Daytonas?

john

:shock: :shock: :shock: SHS indeed! Never noticed before... What a shame. Guess they just used the bigger LV hands.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973

john

:shock: :shock: :shock: SHS indeed! Never noticed before... What a shame. Guess they just used the bigger LV hands.

SHS?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

heres another pic, the face dosnt look as "busy" in a real life snap 8)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w91/ ... epSea2.jpg

Rolex have either completely lost the plot or are now pitching their market towards a richer but far less sophisticated buyer.
    I have mentally categorised this one along side the Yacht Master 2 as oversized, ostentatious and very tacky.
    Everything about it says "look at me!" As regards being a credible diver's watch; it is a fact that no diver in their right mind would ever even consider (or need) such a watch. They should have made subtle improvements to the SD which was classic and had a proper diver's heritage and hence some nostalgic value, even if digital dive computers have superseded the technology.

Tacky people buy tacky things and once Rolex falls from favour with more classical tastes (which it gradually is doing) it will no longer be desirable as a brand to anyone. Therefore Rolex are sewing the early seeds of their demise unless they can claw back some of their previous form. Rolex stick to what made you popular all those years ago - well made, practical and understated watches. The otherwise lovely new GMT only just scrapes in as being okay as it is let down by the polished links - for gods sake bring back the brushed links!

End of rant.

SHS?
    Short Hand Syndrome
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973

SHS?
    Short Hand Syndrome
    Ah, the ol' JB :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by petespendthrift
    Rolex have either completely lost the plot or are now pitching their market towards a richer but far less sophisticated buyer.
    I have mentally categorised this one along side the Yacht Master 2 as oversized, ostentatious and very tacky.
    Everything about it says "look at me!" As regards being a credible diver's watch; it is a fact that no diver in their right mind would ever even consider (or need) such a watch. They should have made subtle improvements to the SD which was classic and had a proper diver's heritage and hence some nostalgic value, even if digital dive computers have superseded the technology.

Tacky people buy tacky things and once Rolex falls from favour with more classical tastes (which it gradually is doing) it will no longer be desirable as a brand to anyone. Therefore Rolex are sewing the early seeds of their demise unless they can claw back some of their previous form. Rolex stick to what made you popular all those years ago - well made, practical and understated watches. The otherwise lovely new GMT only just scrapes in as being okay as it is let down by the polished links - for gods sake bring back the brushed links!

End of rant.

I think you need to try and understand Rolexes core customer base. It isn't anorak watch enthusiasts that often save up and make a (to us) considerable investment in a watch as we appreciate what it is all about, we probably account for about 0.1% of Rolex sales.

Rolex are about mass production high quality and high sales volume to people who wish to identify with that.

I also (as I've said before) suspect that they want to move the Sea Dweller away from the Sub. To 99% of buyers they're almost identical watch at an almost identical price, the only thing that really separates them is a totally irrelevant (to most) dive depth.

So they're keeping the more toolish Submariner on, and blinging up and pushing upmarket and up price the Sea Dweller.

You may not like it, but it makes good business sense and will work for 99%+ of their new retail buyers.

These guys marketing is second to none and they didn't get to where they are now (probably the most recognised watch brand in the world) by accident.

i honestly dont think it is that different to the current
    SD apart from the price and the engraving on the
    inner ring :shock:

heres a pic of my SD in comparision:

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff
    I beg to differ:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... w+Deep+Sea

Quote Originally Posted by petespendthrift

End of rant.
    A fair old bit of truth in that. The Omega PP and the SD up to the current model are true icons IMO. This new thing is just a rappers bling item.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkel C
    I beg to differ:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... w+Deep+Sea
    hmmm, i retract my original comment, but i do like it and i like the way rolex are
    going with the new designs, i have just bought the rolex GMTII ceramic and IMO
    a 100% improvement on the old GMT with its fiddly dwarf like crown and the new
    bracelet clasp is a dream compared to the the old almost pliable clasp.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad
    Quote Originally Posted by tekkno
    Graham

Only to our eyes not to Rolex who can do it for why?cos they can and there are plenty of punters out there ready and more than willing to pony up the readies.

Martin
    Most of that was rather difficult to read but I can tell you that Rolex's RRP is £4,750. This not being China, the retailer is free to set whatever price he chooses. And, if by some miracle a rapper decides that a quartz Jacob covered in Diamante is too bling and thinks a brushed-steel 43mm diver (ooh, not to many of them around!) is more his thing, and he wants to pay £9,000, then he's free to do that too - but it will have had nothing to do with Rolex.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master

Why over 4k for an over-engineered SD with scribble all over it? :roll:
    I think the same way about an over-4k Ingenieur - and some of them aren't even ingenieured, for crying out loud.

£4,400 for a steel automatic with 120m WR. Jesus :roll:
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

FYI I personally know 4 divers who have paid a deposit for the deep sea. IMO its way too blingy for me, but I am sure it will be a well engineered tool watch.

cheers
    mike :wink:

Having seen the comparison shots of the case & bracelet size, coupled to the rather busy (IMO) dial this one is not for me.

For me the Seadweller is the one - perhpas more so now it is stopping production :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

I wonder whether, if you could go back 50 years to the original Submariner and show watch enthusiasts a current Sea Dweller, they would go into the same levels of angst over all the "unnecessary and "bling" writing and "non tool date function" of the Sea Dweller versus the original Sub? :D

After all, who needs to have superlative chronometer officially certified on their dial, a rapper? No one else will buy it surely? :lol:

Craftsman

Well, that was how I reacted when I saw the new one yeasterday and didn't realize that old Seadweller had just as much text on the dial. OK, at least there's no text on the bezel on the current SD.

It's far to much anyway. There's no point in printing technical information on the dial. No one will be able to read it when it's on your wrist anyway. Put it on the back of the case instead please!

IMHO company logo, company name and model name should be the only text. Like on most cars.

Master

Ah but see I love all that SCOC text on the SD and Sub Date, the non date Sub looks bare and basic without it (although I see they're adding the text to that now too).

Agree it's totally unnecessary on a watch dial, but lets face it if we're honest the whole watch (accuracy, depth rating, cost) is totally unnecessary to most of us! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    Ah but see I love all that SCOC text on the SD and Sub Date, the non date Sub looks bare and basic without it (although I see they're adding the text to that now too).

Agree it's totally unnecessary on a watch dial, but lets face it if we're honest the whole watch (accuracy, depth rating, cost) is totally unnecessary to most of us! :D
    Wash your mouth out young man :lol:

Master

:D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey

Wash your mouth out young man :lol:
    :lol:

Master

I hate the DS with a passion.It says"Look at me,I have no taste whatsoever".

i find it quite strange that people can "hate" something sooo much even though
    they havent actually seen something physically :?

Master

I've no doubt that there are those who feel that any Rolex says exactly that.

why do people believe rolex are tastless? i love them, great watches.
    maybe it could be the green eyed monster taking control :D

Would blow if we all liked the same watches now, wouldn't it? :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    Would blow if we all liked the same watches now, wouldn't it? :wink:
    suppose, but it does seem ALOT of people have a problem with rolex
    in general, and im wondering if it has something to do with them not
    owning one :wink:

Master

Could be. Could also be why there seems to be this bizarre hate for the new Deep Sea when no one has even seen one, and apart from a few details, the concept is pretty much unchanged. :wink:

I wonder whether Ferrari 360 owners all got together on a forum and lamblasted the new 430 for being too "flash" and "bling" when it was announced? :D

Master

And incidently, just to nail my colours to the mast, I love the current Submariner, Sea Dweller, and I like this new Deep Sea, a natural evolution in my opinion. I'll reserve judgement on the additional writing till I've seen one, my suspicion is it'll be like the ROLEXROLEX rehaut, a lot less prominent in real life.

Oh, and I can't afford any of them! :D

And incidently, just to nail my colours to the mast, I love the current Submariner, Sea Dweller, and I like this new Deep Sea, a natural evolution in my opinion. I'll reserve judgement on the additional writing till I've seen one, my suspicion is it'll be like the ROLEXROLEX rehaut, a lot less prominent in real life.

Oh, and I can't afford any of them! :D

im with you ari and i love all the new models too :D

They never get into the windows........and actually, I think the SS Daytona is good value for money (in comparison) - with a proven 2nd hand value beyond almost anything else :shock:

They never get into the windows........and actually, I think the SS Daytona is good value for money (in comparison) - with a proven 2nd hand value beyond almost anything else :shock:
    S/H SS Daytonas fetch more than list anyday of the week :D

Master

Precisely so. Which is why I think it's very unlikely that the Deep Sea will just sit in the dealers window cos no one buys stuff over £4K, as suggested on page 1 of this thread.

Precisely so. Which is why I think it's very unlikely that the Deep Sea will just sit in the dealers window cos no one buys stuff over £4K, as suggested on page 1 of this thread.
    I agree - the grey dealers I know are taking orders at above list price :shock: