closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Magpies - love them or hate them?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    You can't prove that the magpie kills for food as a necessity rather than just because it chooses to instead of just going for snails. Maybe it just gets its rocks off, you can't prove either way. Or are there no other food sources available so rooks really must peck out lambs eyes? In a way its like the argument for going vegan. We can survive without using or eating any animal products, but we eat steak and wear leather shoes anyway.

And FYI, I love a bit of rook pie :) lovely stuff.
    Strange, I've never heard of rooks pecking out lambs eyes as they generally go for crops and carrion.
    Possibly a more relevant comment for crows and ravens who typically have a more omnivorous diet?
    Besides, with an early trip to the slaughterhouse in their immediate future it's hard to say that the lambs have much to look forward to in their short life thanks to humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Strange, I've never heard of rooks pecking out lambs eyes.....
    ......Besides, with an early trip to the slaughterhouse in their immediate future it's hard to say that the lambs have much to look forward to in their short life thanks to humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hardly a justification for them to suffer in that way. 'Oh well we're killing them anyway so it doesn't matter?'

We have a responsibility of care for animals, even if they are raised for food.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Magpies - love them or hate them?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Hardly a justification for them to suffer in that way. 'Oh well we're killing them anyway so it doesn't matter?'

We have a responsibility of care for animals, even if they are raised for food.
    My point was that rooks do not generally, if ever, attack lambs therefore the slaughter of rooks is equally unjustified given how we then treat lambs within our food chain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adg31; 30th July 2019 at 18:46.

Blog Entries
    My point was that rooks do not generally, if ever, attack lambs therefore the slaughter of rooks is equally unjustified given how we then treat lambs within our food chain.

How do we treat lambs in our food chain precisely?

Magpies - love them or hate them?

Grown as a food source, herded into a transport and slaughtered. It may be done humanely, I may be a meat eater but it doesn't mean that I like the thought of what is done on my behalf.
    The truth is that if I had to kill to feed myself I may well be joining rooks with a vegetarian diet.
    If you want more detail please visit your local abattoir and let me know if you would be happy to treat humans in the same way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Grown as a food source, herded into a transport and slaughtered. It may be done humanely, I may be a meat eater but it doesn't mean that I like the thought of what is done on my behalf.
    The truth is that if I had to kill to feed myself I may well be joining rooks with a vegetarian diet.
    If you want more detail please visit your local abattoir and let me know if you would be happy to treat humans in the same way.

I've been to an abattoir many a time as a kid and I have vivid memories of animals being herded to their deaths. Pigs, which are a very intelligent animal, eyes bulging as they watch the other members of their team meet a violent & bloody death. Cows taking a captive bolt to the head, throats cut, then being skinned almost before they hit the floor, the steaming flayed corpses being winched high to join the rest of the herd. Put me off killing a bit.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've been to an abattoir many a time as a kid and I have vivid memories of animals being herded to their deaths. Pigs, which are a very intelligent animal, eyes bulging as they watch the other members of their team meet a violent & bloody death. Cows taking a captive bolt to the head, throats cut, then being skinned almost before they hit the floor, the steaming flayed corpses being winched high to join the rest of the herd. Put me off killing a bit.
    Are you a vegan, or do you just want someone other than yourself to kill your animal?

mike

Blog Entries

You’re happy for it to happen as long as someone does it for you.
    I don’t need to visit an abattoir, if necessary I can and have killed for food.
    I don’t see the fact that we raise animals for food having anything to do with vermin control, especially if said vermin are causing unnecessary suffering to the animals in our care.

You’re happy for it to happen as long as someone does it for you.
    I don’t need to visit an abattoir, if necessary I can and have killed for food.
    I don’t see the fact that we raise animals for food having anything to do with vermin control, especially if said vermin are causing unnecessary suffering to the animals in our care.
    So back to my original point, I do not recall much evidence that rooks attack lambs causing unnecessary suffering and they seem to manage just fine as a species without being controlled by humans.

Master

doesn't sound any more humane than halal to me

Usually with a bit of Rosemary and a bit of mint sauce

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    Personally wouldn't want a garden full of them. It I wouldn't have a clue how to stop them coming back

Grand Master
    I struggle to eat a pie full of them
    RIAC