closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a 60th present

Craftsman
    I’d definitely buy new. I understand you get more for your money buying used but if he hasn’t had much during his life don’t get him something 2nd hand.

Master
    I’d be tempted by Longine and see if a deal can be done. The brand is very well known amongst the public . So I’m sure he’ll be bowled over with a lovely “Swiss Watch”. I reckon they are seriously competing again. Perhaps not for your Dad but the latest Skin Diver issue looks the business

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Above a certain age, people really know and respect Longines. Whether sixty is old enough for that, I don't know.
    Well, they're a brand I like.

Proper heritage, sensible prices, classy branding and a nice attitude to their owners (I got details of my 1913 pocket watch from their heritage department, no charge).

If liking that over being asked to buy a load of ghastly tat I don't want to get access to a list for a watch I might makes me an old fart, count me in!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #Craig View Post
    Is that achievable?
    Yes, it's right there with a £225 asking price. But I realise you probably can't see Sales Corner yet.

Send a PM to the seller, robert75.

P.S. Not that I want to make this SC-by-proxy but I see that there is also a stunning Omega Aqua Terra 2504.80 with blue dial on SC at £1800. PM to Onelasttime.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th August 2019 at 19:33.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Well, they're a brand I like.

Proper heritage, sensible prices, classy branding and a nice attitude to their owners (I got details of my 1913 pocket watch from their heritage department, no charge).

If liking that over being asked to buy a load of ghastly tat I don't want to get access to a list for a watch I might makes me an old fart, count me in!

M

I think you're missing my point.

Once upon a time Longines reputation was so good and so well-known that people with long enough memories still associate the name with excellence, despite not knowing anything else about luxury watches. After living life very modestly for decades, when my parents finally had some spare money, their buying each other a Longines saw a very long-standing desire satiated.

My parents are in their late seventies; whether someone only coming up to sixty would automatically have the same unalloyed enthusiasm for the brand, I don't know: they would have been in their early twenties in the early eighties.....

Journeyman
    Really appreciate all the comments and points of view. The wife's involved now and discussing if an increase in budget would be a good idea.

It will reach a point when I need to stop procrastinating. It's just really difficult!

Journeyman
    Above a certain age, people really know and respect Longines. Whether sixty is old enough for that, I don't know.
    I'm going to try and have a look at the master collection close up next time I'm in town.

Just had a glance online. Think it could be a possibility.

Master
    Blog Entries
    How about Nomos? Some beautiful classic watches or the new Baume et Mercier Baumatic

Master
    This:

If it turns him into a watch enthusiast get him a Rolex for his 70th..

I think you're missing my point.

Once upon a time Longines reputation was so good and so well-known that people with long enough memories still associate the name with excellence, despite not knowing anything else about luxury watches. After living life very modestly for decades, when my parents finally had some spare money, their buying each other a Longines saw a very long-standing desire satiated.

My parents are in their late seventies; whether someone only coming up to sixty would automatically have the same unalloyed enthusiasm for the brand, I don't know: they would have been in their early twenties in the early eighties.....
    Maybe.

You've explained it now and it's a fair point.

I still think most people recognize them as a decent brand, but positioned below the more expensive 'premium' brands, although looking at the price of the latest HC, it looks like they're being moved up the pecking order.

M

Master
    Blog Entries

Pics from the net

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    By all means pick up a watch, if that's what you want to give him. But I'd make it a Seiko from Creation in the hundred to one fifty range, probably quartz three handed day/date. The titanium sapphire 40mm in grey is a superb all rounder.
    Plus tax. I’ve bought a couple of Seiko from Creation after seeing them recommended here and been charged duty/VAT by the courier.

Master
    Ask him what watch he would like.

I would go new and quartz, I am sixty myself and in all reality now just want something accurate and low maintenance, and that is coming from someone who has always loved mechanical watches. In 6 years time is he going to want to spend several hundred quid on a service?. Getting the rite style of watch is the key, really you need to know his preferences as regards style.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Plus tax. I’ve bought a couple of Seiko from Creation after seeing them recommended here and been charged duty/VAT by the courier.
    That wasn't the case when I last bought, a couple of months ago. The default delivery will incur additional cost, but a few quid extra gets the watch sent via RM from UK. No additional costs. Iirc this only applies go the cheaper stuff, but that's what I buy.
    Last edited by simoscribbler; 6th August 2019 at 08:57.

Craftsman
    Does your dad even want a watch to begin with? I would think at his age it is spending time with his loved ones that matters the most.

Have you considered taking him on a holiday?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Does your dad even want a watch to begin with? I would think at his age it is spending time with his loved ones that matters the most.

You think 60 is ancient then?

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    You think 60 is ancient then?
    What I was thinking, must be good percentage here over that age.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What I was thinking, must be good percentage here over that age.
    I'm 61 and i know I'm not the oldest.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    I'm 61 and i know I'm not the oldest.

I will be 60 next and have been reading this post with amusement.
    Some of the comments / suggestions have now made me feel old and in some ways unusual that I have a watch collection that includes brands that it would seem would only appeal to those of less senior years !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegeorgy View Post
    I will be 60 next and have been reading this post with amusement.
    Some of the comments / suggestions have now made me feel old and in some ways unusual that I have a watch collection that includes brands that it would seem would only appeal to those of less senior years !
    Hahaha that's exactly what i thought. Sounds like they were describing somone of about 80.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post

Doesn't do holidays / sports / movies etc.

He just likes to go to work. (don't think he likes us much lol)

I would have thought that either a vintage Longines or Omega would be a good bet. Mike Wood at the Old Watch Shop has a couple of Longines from the late 50s/early 60s that might be of interest to you. They are well within your budget and are quite unassuming yet high quality watches.......perhaps ideal for your father. Mike Wood is also a grade A seller so you are in safe hands. Good luck with your search.

I'm 57 and, while I do have a few vintage watches which I wear from time to time, I would probably look at more modern watches if I was treating myself to a birthday gift.

The idea that at 60, he'll just want to sit in his bathchair, legs covered with a blanket and sucking on Werther's Originals only happy with a watch from his childhood sounds like something a yoof would imagine while riding his BMX to Maccy-Dees...

M

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The idea that at 60, he'll just want to sit in his bathchair, legs covered with a blanket and sucking on Werther's Originals only happy with a watch from his childhood sounds like something a yoof would imagine while riding his BMX to Maccy-Dees...
    Hehe

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by #Craig View Post
    Doesn't do holidays / sports / movies etc.

He just likes to go to work. (don't think he likes us much lol)
    Ahh... :( Well Rolex ADs have a returns policy so I guess no harm trying...

Journeyman
    Just incase anyone is interested. Bought this yesterday.

Went with new.

Thanks for all the advice.

Craig

Craftsman
    I think a new Longines like you bought or an Omega De Ville was a good way to go....hope he loves it